Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 473 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 08:04am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
j m Feb 17, 2005, 05:27am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
You know theres a much more fun game out now called WoW... no problems playing it, no game crashes, everyone drop zero hour and go play that..i quit playing it once i beat all the maps on hard.. i mean there really isn't anything left after that but repedative ness. And there is no patch, if you ever call there tech support they said there wasn't enough grounds at the time to invest all the money in trying to patch a game engine that was on its way out anyways.......... but look above, brian pretty much quoted everything you need to know. And he's right.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Brian Piscitelli Feb 17, 2005, 12:55pm EST Report Abuse
hey if u guys read that link i posted u can c that the guy said that ea did it discretely and they did want any one to know. weather that is true or not is another question, but it is pretty f#%king stupid that they would keep it a secret! I can only imagine EA tech support was pulling out there HAIR with calls about this game from angry customers like us!! I know i call and I am sure i was not the only one here. They may have kept this a secret tho for a copule reason i can think of: deadlines, and confidence of fixing the problem. They may not have wanted the pressure of getting the patch out when they were not sure if they could fix it, smart if u know wut i mean (incompetent ea)!!!
Well on any note... that post was the 7th and it stated that 2-3 weeks, meaning if all is on time then it should be coming out this month, so keep your eyes, and ears open. Knowing EA and all the others**t they are making, this is not top priority (go figure...).
But i am keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

Brian Stewart Feb 17, 2005, 01:16pm EST Report Abuse
The game works fine for me.
Yes, I can play 1 on 7, all HARD.

In fact, that's the only way I play, otherwise it's too easy.
(unless I'm playing against other people, then I just kick their asses)

What procedure do you follow when you reinstall the game?
It SHOULD be:

Uninstall
Install Generals (do not apply and updates or patches to it!)
Install Zero Hour
Play.

Crashes?
Look for any updates to Zero Hour, get them, try again.

Crashes?
Make sure your refresh rate isn't going over the limit. (Lock it down)

If it was a bug in the code everyone would have this problem.
That simply is NOT the case.

Make sure you're not overclocking ANY components of your pc, make sure when you install and when you play ALL programs, including anti-virus programs AND services are killed. Watch your temperatures as the game "starts to crash" (Many people report that the game will start stuttering then eventually crash)

Here's an idea.
Everyone having the problem, ATi or Nvidia? What drivers?

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Mikey K Feb 17, 2005, 03:22pm EST Report Abuse
Same card as you, driver version 7.1.2.4 (newest available whql nvidia drivers)

HOW MANY OF US USE NOCD PATCH'S? I'M WONDERING IF ALL THIS COULD BE CAUSED BY BAD NOCD PATCHS?

Mikeyk@flashmail.com

Intel P4 3ghz 1MB cache
1 gig ddr400
Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MBGDDR3

Brian Piscitelli Feb 18, 2005, 01:26pm EST Report Abuse
It is clearly faulty CODING, people please stop suggesting that the "serious error message" - "technial difficutlties". Is someones computer!!! Everyone here has a differ computer, with prolly differ dirvers... it is clearly not our hareware!!!! Or dirivers! Besides the .05% of the people that acuatlly do have overheating hardware or bad drivers, usually on that note your computer will lookup completely, or bluescreen.
And it is not the Crack that has nothing to do with it, not to mention i have tired it several times without the crack.

THIS MESSAGE WAS CLEARLY MADE AS A "CATCH ALL". Any problems that arrise they made this message come up instead of finding out wut the real problem was, and fixing it.

"MisMatch" on the other hand is another problem they have that i have had serveral probs with! It will do it still after my buddies installed the game and updated witht the 1.02 patch, and then they copy my EA dirs (prog files, docs). Things that clearly just need to be re-coded.

And yes, almost all of the problems came with the 1.02 patch that is quite OBVIOUS!! So ya a quick fix would be dont update the game. but that really sux!

Geraint Thomas Feb 22, 2005, 12:27pm EST Report Abuse
Ok, i just came accross this site and looked at all the problems tha u had, and seeming i had the same problem, this is what i did to fix it.

I uninstalled zero hour, not generals, and re-installed it.
Then, i downloaded the 1.02 patch as a seperate file, NOT in the generals menu.
Once the game was re-installed, i applied the patch THEN ran the game.
Dont run the game before applying the patch.

When i did this it ran fine for me!

Hope this works for u guys ;-)

Best of luck.

Rick Edwards Feb 22, 2005, 12:32pm EST Report Abuse
LOLLLL

I have unistalled my entire os, just to see if that would work, let alone the game, trust me it will work for you for a while, and start crashing agn ;-)

Andy Cr Feb 23, 2005, 08:14pm EST Report Abuse
Hey its true fellas....youre gonna love this... Zero Hour 1.3 is a reality....just had an email from EA confirming it. Its to be released on 28th February.

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Don't believe me? Check it....
http://www.eagames.com/official/cc/generals/us/home.jsp

Mikey K Feb 23, 2005, 09:33pm EST Report Abuse
Pah... too late i dont play it anymore. Dawn of war kicks ass in comparison.

Asides from i can bet that the patch wont fix everything

Brian Stewart Feb 23, 2005, 10:55pm EST Report Abuse
I may play Zero Hour again if there are more changes in 1.3 (other than bug fixes)

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Maki Man Feb 28, 2005, 05:44pm EST Report Abuse
Hey I have a quick question. When installing ZH, do you install it straight into the generals directory, or do u create a new/separate one? I tried installing into a separate one, but when I ran the game, it just brought me back to Windows like nothing happened. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it into the generals directory, but now I too, am getting this "serious error message". I already tried patching it but it's still getting an error

Mikey K Mar 01, 2005, 05:24am EST Report Abuse

Brian Piscitelli Mar 01, 2005, 05:49am EST Report Abuse
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maki Man Feb 28, 2005, 05:44 PM Message - Profile - Add Buddy - Alert Moderators
Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
Hey I have a quick question. When installing ZH, do you install it straight into the generals directory, or do u create a new/separate one? I tried installing into a separate one, but when I ran the game, it just brought me back to Windows like nothing happened. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it into the generals directory, but now I too, am getting this "serious error message". I already tried patching it but it's still getting an error
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yeah... if you install it in the generals dir u r gunna have some conflicts... since most of the files r named the same, use the default dir.... c:/prog files/eagames/c&c gen zhour .... u will have have to reinstall generals as well.. scence zhour just overwrote most of your generals files.

Brian Piscitelli Mar 01, 2005, 05:53am EST Report Abuse

Maki Man Mar 01, 2005, 07:11pm EST Report Abuse
I thought you needed Generals for Zero Hour to work. How is it that you can install it in another directory? I tried that first (into the default) but after the splash screen, it just instantly exited.

vs4562f Mar 02, 2005, 03:20am EST Report Abuse
Other than the mismatch nonsense, this game was working just fine until........I GOT THE LATEST PACTH 1.03

OMG WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP! The thing will not work - and even on the rare occasions when it actually will start up it freezes after a few minutes of gameplay!

A patch is supposed to fix a game not make life hell for the player! I will never buy an EA game again - they just do not give a crap about their customers!

I am gonna sue EA - who is with me?

Tomas tomas@alania.plus.com

Brian Piscitelli Mar 02, 2005, 05:58am EST Report Abuse
So far i have not had any probs with the game... I reinstall'ed and apply'd just the 1.03 patch.

Snake Pliskan Mar 02, 2005, 08:50am EST Report Abuse
I don't know about you guys.......................but I have never bought an ea game.......

Maki Man Mar 02, 2005, 07:59pm EST Report Abuse
Btw, I am having another kind of error that prevents me from updating the original cnc generals to patch 1.07. It keeps saying "Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update since the file contents do not match." :?

And in terms of ZH, I get the "serious error message" before I can even start the game! O_o

Brian Piscitelli Mar 03, 2005, 04:08am EST Report Abuse
Maki Man
Reinstall Generals and Zhour
If u have the no-cd crack then u cannot update the game, that is why everyone says back up the files before u no-cd it. yes you will need the generals 1.07 patch to be applied as well as the zhour 1.03 patch. If u just use the default dir's u will be fine.

Good Luck,

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.