Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 492 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 08:14am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Danny Crossley Mar 03, 2005, 05:14pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"

Hi there, I purchased CNC Gernerals Zero hour ages ago, it worked/wokrs fine down staird on my old worse PC. But not on my new PC it will only play the original Generals not the expansion, please i need serios help!!!! (it starts to load up (the blue generals screen) then minimizes and says "serious error")

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Maki Man Mar 03, 2005, 08:14pm EST Report Abuse
Oh no wonder it won't update... I dunno if this is allowed here or anything but could anyone send me the original "game.dat" file because it keeps going up to there that it stops updating. I don't have the CD currently because I can't find it, so I can't re-install. Every "game" file is the same is it? Or does it have our registries/cd keys encoded in them? Because if this is all ok, could someone send me the application file "generals" (because I think this is affected by the patch also) and the "game" file to my email at: sushi159@yahoo.com ? Thanks.

Brian Stewart Mar 04, 2005, 09:36pm EST Report Abuse
buy the game

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
alex n Mar 05, 2005, 12:20am EST Report Abuse
Yep, things seem to get worse since EA releashes 1.03. My system get exact same problem. the game wont even starts after i double click the icon. the stupid "Serious error.." keeps poping up. EA gotta do something to its poorly coded game..seriously.!!. this doesnt just happen to NO-CD, it also happen to Virtual CD image which i've been using for almost a year.
I'm getting a 500W power supply for my 6600GT card, i hope this will solve the problem like some of you did!. I'll update as soon as i get my power supply!.

Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro
AMD 64 3200 2.2Ghz 512k L2
1GB Kingston HyperX PC4000(500 Mhz)
MSI 6600GT AGP
Raptor 36 Gb- boot drive
200Gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache - spare
vs4562f Mar 05, 2005, 02:07am EST Report Abuse
Ok this is what I did:

Remove Zero Hour TOTALLY. In other words uninstall it - then go to C:\Program Files\EA Games and delete the Zero Hour folder from there (leave the Generals one where it is!)

then go to your 'My Documents' and delete the folder: "Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data"

restart the PC

go to generals.ea.com and download the 1.03 patch to your desktop

turn off all anti-virus programs running, then install Zero hour - once it;s installed restart your PC

when you come back to your desktop - STOP! do NOT attempt to patch the game by going online. Instead, once again close down all your anti-virus and similar programs that may be running and simply double click the patch icon. Once the patch has finished installing - restart your PC once again and load Zero Hour in the normal way.

I hope this works for you guys. Also, when you get into ZH, go into the options and turn detail down to Low higher than that can cause problems and often mismatches!

Good luck guys,

Tomas_AK

ps, it may crash on your the first time or even more, don't worry, just restart your PC and try again - eventually it will start working again! Man EA suck big time for this!!! Anyway give it a go and see what happens.

Mikey K Mar 05, 2005, 05:12am EST Report Abuse
I dont get the mismatch error, but even if u manage to fix that, the game starts to stutter when you play against hard ai on certain maps anyway.
Its not power related, i have a 450watt psu, which is far more than needed, oh and by the way, 500watt is a stupid amount of power for a standard pc, mine is far overpowered and i have the gfx card up from you, too many ppl are thinking you need in excess of 350/400 watt power supplys, its just a waste of money and power. I suggest looking at an online power calculator, even with high end p4, several drives, silly lights/fans and 6800 gt i only use 350-375. I was misled into buying 450 aswell when i prob could have got away with 350.
Asides from that, if ur gfx card is similar to mine, it has a power alarm built onto the board (just above the 2nd molex socket on the card) which will set off a buzzer sound if the card is underpowered.

Mikey K
Intel P4 3ghz 1MB Cache, 1 Gig DDR400
Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MBgDDR3

vs4562f Mar 05, 2005, 10:43am EST Report Abuse
Mikey none of this is hardware related. I ran both Generals games in the past on much lighter hardware than I have now and it ran fine.

This is all due to bad software, bad coding and patches that seem to do more harm than good in some respects.

The stuttering I think you'll find is on twilight flame when playing against AI. Yeah it sucks but hey, it's EA, and I'm never buying a game from them again!

Tomas

alex n Mar 05, 2005, 03:51pm EST Report Abuse
I knew the problem was EA poorly coded game but my system does need more power because right now its being powered by only 350W. So i decided to upgrade to 500 W for future preference. Ohh, btw, the 6600GT does require a MINIMUM 350W power supply so...

Anyway, I'm really giving up on this shiiity C&C Generals thing. Lets wait how much BattleField 2 can impress us.

Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro
MSI 6600GT AGP
Raptor 36 Gb- boot drive
Robert Nguyen Mar 06, 2005, 04:13am EST Report Abuse
Wow so many same problems i've been having problem with a lan game with only 2 computer ...says games data mismatch ..game synchrozation not in order so it disconnected... must be the game code than

Robert Nguyen Mar 06, 2005, 05:01am EST Report Abuse
Thank you Rob miller. Your post make sense why is that only CNC has problems and compare to other high intense graphic games CNC has the most occurance of games playing issue...pc hardware do make up about 15% of problems but easily be patch up by drivers. Overheated issue can be solved by many cooling method...yet even with all this remedy CNC still overall has major issue of the way they created the game...I think they created the game way ahead of what these high performance gaming machine can handle...Any one has a Alienware machine? I heard they are pretty good ? Has any one tried playing CNC in it? If any one has played on it or similiar gaming system and not have any issues of CNC please post a reply...If there are still issues with CNC with these high end Gaming sytem than I think I will go out and get Axis And Allies RTS... I heard it has some similarity to CNC but without many problems.

J vd Wel Mar 06, 2005, 06:29am EST Report Abuse
dunno if this has been mentioned (20 pages, wtf)...
Check your virtual memory settings, c&c gen zh just eats memory. I've set my own at 4gb and no problems at all, but before i upgraded my comp(small harddrive, low virt mem) I kept getting memory read/write error, etc. If virtual memory is indeed the problem, check your harddrive speed (it makes a BIG overall speed difference)

vs4562f Mar 06, 2005, 11:42am EST Report Abuse
Dudes I will repeat this as many times as I have to: It is nothing to do with hardware and lack of memory/cpu power etc.

It is just B U G G Y S O F T W A R E!

Tomas

J vd Wel Mar 07, 2005, 02:21pm EST Report Abuse
yup its buggy but it runs fine on my comp, even in that particulair map, framerate drops a bit at sometimes, but no lag at all. And crashes should be no problem if ya save...

Rick Edwards Mar 12, 2005, 04:34pm EST Report Abuse
Okay NOW, I am done with this crappy game! I have ben postiing in this forum for over a year, and thought with the release of thier NEW patch, things would be better! NOT. Sames**t different day ;-(

I even recently upgraded my stytem to an ASUS K8N 754 M/B, and a AMD 754 3500+ CPU!
Still using Corsair Ultimate 1Gig of pc 4000 memory, Nvidia 5950 Ultra Video Card, 550 Watt Antec PS, and
250 SATA Hard drive.

NOW if this stupid game still can not play correctly on this system, it HAS to be a GAME issue, and the patch is absoutley NO HELP.

The big slap in the face is from EA tech support, that STILL refuses to reconigize, or remedy the faulty game engine, and throws blame on the consumer!

What a shame, since I really like the game ;-(

My brother is an Bay Area Attorney by profession, and he is looking at maybe filing a Class Action Lawsuit againest EA, if he can get enough people to join in. So if anyone is interested to get on the bandwagon, my email address is islhopr@charter.net. So far I have collected 27 names locally from customers my company has built systems for, and where they have installed the game, and have had simuliar issues.

Sure would be nice to collect a lot more, so my brother will pusue it ;-)

I also will be posting this in the EA game forum, to see if more want to join in ;-))

Thanks

vs4562f Mar 12, 2005, 04:46pm EST Report Abuse
I reckon we should all get behind Rick!

Rick Edwards Mar 12, 2005, 05:09pm EST Report Abuse
Thanks ;-)

Leon Lack Mar 14, 2005, 07:56am EST Report Abuse
Hey guys, there's a new game coming out that's pretty similar to C&C Generals...Its called Act of War

Official Site: http://www.atari.com/actofwar

I'm not an Atari staff but here informing you all about this new awesome game that's coming out on 15 Mar 2005
in the US, 18 Mar 2005 in UK. The technical staff at Atari are way much better than EA games technical support. I know that no matter what, there will still be stragedy fans out there but the future of more stragedy games in the market depends on us, to support it or not, you decide.

alex n Mar 14, 2005, 03:32pm EST Report Abuse
Here it goes page 21 and nothing has been solved. I feel frustrated and cheated by EA. I spent 5 hours last night "Reload" my entire system, hope this would solve some of my old issues of some other games and perhaps C&C Generals ZH.

Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro
MSI 6600GT AGP
Raptor 36 Gb- boot drive
Mikey K Mar 14, 2005, 05:00pm EST Report Abuse
Hmmm not atari staff? lol i like the token spelling errors, very convincing haha.
But yeah looks like a cool game though, will defo check it out when its released

Snake Pliskan Mar 14, 2005, 10:35pm EST Report Abuse
Act of War demo is on the new PCgamer mag.I checked it out....................it's mediocre in my opinion............................games are a personal thing.........

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.