Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 430 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 07:30am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Orlando Ferrante Jan 13, 2004, 02:56pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
Already tried disabling every program in the background including Norton AntiVirus. That does not help. Even upgrading to a GIG of RAM didn't help. In fact, if you upgraded to 4GIG it wouldn't help. Bad code man...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Andy Cr Jan 13, 2004, 04:12pm EST Report Abuse
To everyone reading this and offering their 2 cents worth, try and stay focused on the facts. As Orlando and I have said, we've done all the troubleshooting stuff, disabling AV, TSR's etc, setting graphic options to low level etc etc etc etc. None of it helps....its not about that.

I can play Generals on an 8 player map, with loads of opponents, all my options set to max at 1600x1200 and have no probs at all. Zero Hour, which is technically the same game using the same engine and almost identical style of play etc on the same map (except its not the same...I'll get back to that in a minute) stutters and freezes its way throughout the game.

That means its not my PC causing the issue...its something in the game itself.

All you people who think you dont have a problem with the game please do me a favour. Start the game up in Solo Skirmish mode, choose Twilight Flame as your map, choose an opponent (any one and I think any difficulty level although hard would be useful) and play the level through to completion. Then come back on here and confirm what you see. I would expect the game to become extremely frustrating, almost unplayable after about 10-15 minutes.

Re the map thing. Twilight flame in Zero Hour is NOT the same map as Twilight flame in Generals...they've tweaked it, the supply depots and oil rigs have moved for one. Im increasingly thinking its a map issue somehow but not sure how the map could screw the game up so bad.

Andy Cr Jan 13, 2004, 04:21pm EST Report Abuse
A thought...re my last

Does anyone know if its possible to extract the original Twilight Flame map from Generals and import it as a custom map into Zero Hour?

If that was possible I could then test the corrupt map code idea by playing the original map in the new game and see if the performance issues remain.

I assume the map is tied up in the "maps.big" file found in the "Generals" directory but dont know how to extract it?

Andy Cr Jan 13, 2004, 05:53pm EST Report Abuse
OK...I really think im onto something here

I've just played a game all the way through on a 6 player map and no probs.....I IM'ed my Canadian buddy who claimed his game was running perfect and lo and behold after 6 minutes on Twilight flame in Skirmish mode his game slowed to a crawl.

Now then EA time to listen.....I've done all the hard work narrowing this sucker down......NOW FIX IT.

I think there are two issues here....the "serious error" message is caused by some other type of game bug and is not related to the lagging/freezing problem on the big maps.

Still waiting for some confirmation of my findings from some of you other guys......it's very easy for me to get carried away but I really need backup before we can say thats definitely it.

Andy Cr Jan 13, 2004, 06:19pm EST Report Abuse
Ive posted a question on EA's board with a link to this article. Hopefully they'll take the time to read through and recreate the problem at their end. If they do we may see this get fixed at some point.

Andy Cr Jan 13, 2004, 09:34pm EST Report Abuse
This is hard to believe but EA Tech support replied saying they cant help with bug reports and suggested I post on the EA BB Boards instead and hope the developers read it!!!! Can you believe it?

So I went there (havent seen these boards before I was on some Question and answer thing before and never noticed the BB boards.

http://boards.ea.com/messages?13@@.1de8e6af!ticket=0&decode=999

and noticed at least 4 other posts complaining of same thing. I updated all of them with my findings and now all we can do is hope that someone with a spare brain cell reads it I guess.

Cupcake Pete Jan 14, 2004, 07:23am EST Report Abuse
I dunno if you did it already, but here's Twilight Flame extracted from the maps.big file of my Generals installation if you want to give it a blast.

http://www.fairycake.net/stuff/twilight_flame.zip

Are we allowed to post links like this? My apologies if we aren't!

Crays Law : All Computers wait at the same speed.
Andy Cr Jan 14, 2004, 08:26am EST Report Abuse
Thanks for doing that....how did you extract it by the way?

I cant get Zero hour to see it...were there any other files in the archive associated with the Twilight flame map? Perhaps with an .str extension?

Andy Cr Jan 14, 2004, 08:49am EST Report Abuse
Ignore my last...I think Ive sussed how to convert it suing the worldbuilder editor...thanks

Andy Cr Jan 14, 2004, 09:06am EST Report Abuse
erm...no i havent.....i opened it and removed the players and readded all skirmish players as instructed on some site or other...but after saving the file it still isnt seen by zero hour....anyone know anything about converting maps etc?

Anders Elton Jan 14, 2004, 11:17am EST Report Abuse

Orlando Ferrante Jan 14, 2004, 11:22am EST Report Abuse
As Andy has stated earlier in this thread...We have tried everything, including that lame attempt by EA Games on the link you provided.

Cupcake Pete Jan 16, 2004, 08:41am EST Report Abuse
I had my doubts about that map working with Zero Hour. I mean even replays from different versions of the game don't play half the time in other versions :)

Crays Law : All Computers wait at the same speed.
Marco Borzik Jan 18, 2004, 09:53am EST Report Abuse
I know the problem. I get the same message as you. C&C Generals works fine but Zero Hour doesn't. And I know why. But i can't fix this problem. In your Zero Hour folder there should be a folder named "support". Click on one of the *.exe files I can't remember the name of it. You can see what the game is knowing from you hardware. For me, zero hour doesn't realize, that I have a graphiccard! And I have no monitor. So my computer can't handle that game. I should find something that tells zero hour what graphiccards I have. That's the point. Go try it.

xeno Jan 19, 2004, 05:28am EST Report Abuse
Hello from Germany

Same here... A friend of mine has the german version of Zero Hour (Die Stunde Null), and i have the UK Version (don't like this censored german crap). This weekend we tried many configurations with bios and drivers, NOTHING worked. Even without overclocking and my cpu freezing and sleeping...
We also have another error, which seems to appear only on self made maps: After a while of playtime we can't move any of our units, except air units. I don't know what is causing this, but is is VERY frustrating to buy a game, and being not able to play multiplayer games to the end. If the units don't beginn to stuck, then sooner or later all of us are kicked out of the game with this stupid serious error! ~:(
NO overheating! NO Virus! Well, we played Generals (no Laser defense *damn*), it worked. But a bugfree Zero Hour would be great.

If somebody is interessted in what we tried, i can post it.

bye all
xeno

Marco Borzik Jan 19, 2004, 07:36am EST Report Abuse

Brian Piscitelli Jan 22, 2004, 12:33am EST Report Abuse
I have noticed a few things about this Game! I have tried almost all the maps! and i can defiently telll you that IT IS THE MAPS!! i dont know if it is something in the maps or what... but i use a map and if it messes up once, then try agian on the same map and it messes up again.... i am working on making a list of maps that are SH*T. so i suggest that everyone does the same. Also another thing i have noticed... If the game get LAGGY it is GOING TO F-up!! (Either Serious Error or Mismatch) My guess is that Zero Hour is finding the mismatch or Going to give you the Serious Error Message (once it starts lagging, Exit and put the map on your list, you can try it again, but i almost promise it will do the samething with the same settings) Once i post the list please reply back and say if you have the problem with the maps as well.

For the Serious Error Message... i have gotten it a few times... I have reinstalled Gernerals and Zero Hour Numourious Times and that doent seem to fix it. I have noticed that closing almost all your programs in the background help! and DEFIENTLY INSTALL the game WITH-OUT Anti-Virus on!! The refresh rate could also be that problem, not to sure on the Serious Error Message tho. Try setting to 75hz

And good luck to Everyone and THESE DAMN Problems!!!

Andy Cr Jan 22, 2004, 04:19am EST Report Abuse
I have another weird one along same lines. The only maps I've had problems with are the big 8 player maps which is a shame cos they're the best in my opinion and seem to work fine in Generals.

Yesterday I tried twice to play the gargantuan and very well designed (layout wise) Death Valley 8 player map which came with the 1.02 patch I think. All was fine until the unit count got too high (can't tell you how many exactly but my mate and I dont like to rush in and prefer to build big bases and big armies before commencing hostilities....its an 8 player map so should be more than capable of coping with large numbers of units and lots of activity).

At this point all the ground units stopped responding to movment orders!!! They made the sounds as though they were moving but stayed rooted to the spot. This affected both of us. Air units meanwhile were fine. After 5 minutes of this behaviour it bombed out with the serious error mesage. I wasnt running any background progs, my AV was off and firewall down (my PC was basically waiting to get raped by any passing hacker, worm or virus all in the name of playing EA's bug ridden excuse for a commercial release....the only game I have where I have to disable all my PC security to even attempt to play it online).

I wouldnt mind if they would provide some proper support and listen to people who are trying to tell them about these problems instead of fobbing them off with misinformation that tries to put the blame on peoples PC spec/configurations.

I know....I'm still playing it arent I?....but its a great game underneath it all.

And another thing.....during long online games (2 players) 50% of the time we will get disconnected after about an hour or so. Whats that all about??? It's soooooo frustrating to go to all that effort and get disconnected before the game is finished. The network code is so flaky its untrue. Surely it would be possible to recode so that if a spike or whatever is received on the connection then the game pauses at both ends and resumes as soon as the connection returns to normal??? It would only be milliseconds I'm sure. Instead it just dumps the whole game. grrrrrrrrrr

Brian Piscitelli Jan 26, 2004, 01:34am EST Report Abuse
These r some of the things i have found problems with soo far...

Mismatch:

twilight flame
hostile down
bear town beatdown

Tech. Diff.:

Super Weapons vs Laser (I managed to catch is picture during the game, http://www.pishmaster.com/images/zero_hour.JPG
showing that there is a tech. diff. in the map!! wtf r they attacking!!)

There are some of the Issues i have found so far... I PROMISE if you play on those 3 maps it will lag HORRIBLY!! then give u a mismatch as soon as you get a nice army built up!!! of course they r prolly 3 of the BEST multi maps with SUX!!!

Andy Cr Jan 26, 2004, 06:36am EST Report Abuse
Update on this......not tried myself yet but in connection with someone else who doesnt play online and therefore hasnt patched his version at all........ the problem appears to be the patch(es). If you reinstall ZH and don't apply the patches then you should find it runs fine.

OF course this is no good if youplay online as you have to patch to play....hopefully the next patch will put it all right.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.