Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 355 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 07:46am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Predator Mar 14, 2005, 11:48pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
My HP computer plays it perfectly fine and it has a 2.0GHz XP2400+ & 512MB PC2100...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D

New Forum: http://www.cyberitforums.com
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
vs4562f Mar 15, 2005, 03:06pm EST Report Abuse
Act of war is too much like propaganda for my liking. I won't be getting it.

The good thing about Act of War though should be that EA may release a new C&C, or at least start working on one!

I hope Act of War does well as it will spur EA on by giving them a good kick in the pants!

Tomas

Mikey K Mar 15, 2005, 05:19pm EST Report Abuse
Ea are already making a new command and conquer, its another red alert game apparently. Needless to say ill be using bittorrent to get it cos i aint wasting any more money buying their games when they dont work lol

Mikey (uk)

vs4562f Mar 15, 2005, 08:00pm EST Report Abuse
Mikey where did you get the news on the new Red Alert game? Do you have any links for us?

Thanks,

Tomas Alanov (Canada)

Mikey K Mar 15, 2005, 11:08pm EST Report Abuse
It was in a newsletter a while ago, it doesnt say much really, only that theyve started work on a new red alert game, wouldnt expect to see it till next year though probably.

You can read the newsletter here; (cant find much else about it)
http://www.cncportal.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4

Notice it says "You will also see a major enhancement to the Sage graphics engine we originally created for Command & Conquer Generals..." HAHAHA Enhancement?? i think enBinment would be a better idea!

Mikey (uk)

Brian Piscitelli Mar 16, 2005, 07:04am EST Report Abuse
[Rick Edwards] - I completely back you up on this, As well as MANY other people i know do! I will get the word out! u will be receiveing MANY emails!
- It is complete utter bull$hit that EA cant fixed the problem! But then again they want to sell there faulty product and make a quick buck!! It's too bad that they do this, bc the games has the potenital to claim the best RTS!

[Thomas]
just go to google.com and search for CnC
There are about 20 differ sites that are excellent sources of news for CnC series products, patches, mods, etc.

-Also "Act of War" sucks, I played the demo. Gameply is way to sketchy, and lame!

Jim Porter Mar 16, 2005, 04:45pm EST Report Abuse
Just to butt in.

Just bought EA Games Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth and we have the same problems as you guys are describing and this is a fairly new Game (same engine???). As soon as we up the level of difficulty and the number of units, buildings etc rises then we get pauses then stutters then the access violation. Tried it on two machines (not as powerful as yours) and even at fairly low levels it bombs. The requirements for this game are fairly low.

Maybe Ricks brother would look at including this.

Unfortunately I'm in the UK or I would be in.

Brian Young Mar 25, 2005, 10:44pm EST Report Abuse
>> HERE TO HELP Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"

Mikey K Mar 26, 2005, 01:47am EST Report Abuse
LOL, its not hardware!!

Anywayz, anyone checked out act of war yet? its wayyy better than generals, took a little longer to get into, but was ok after a few skirmishs. The graphics make generals look like a ps1 game and the gameplay is relatively flawless, no stupid ass errors and slowdowns! It actually has quite a gripping single player aswell which you dont see that often in strategy games

Mikey (uk)
Intel P4 3Ghz 1MB Cache, 1GB DDR400
NVidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MBgDDR3

Rob Chen Mar 27, 2005, 03:27am EST Report Abuse
Ya I've been playing Act of War for a while now, its a good game. However, I do like General's humor and comical unit voices though.

As for this serious error message... my friend is having major problems with it. It doesn't occur in the campagin, only when he plays online or LAN. We thought it was the network card, but it wasn't.

Now, I have an ECS motherboard, Athlon XP 2200+, and ATI 9800 PRO, and the game NEVER gives me the error, I can play for hours online and LAN and it never crashes. If its buggy software, then I must have the magic computer configuration.

-Pizzaman

j m Mar 27, 2005, 09:32am EST Report Abuse
How you all react if I could reproduce the error you all get at will, and make it work again just as quickly. Way back when the psu wars were going on in this forum I told that i replaced finally my psu not with an antec or lower end cheap as modded psu, but with a hopped up massive server psu, mostly because of ati's power hungry cards, that my game stabilized and i haven't hardly maybe twice had a blue screen in almost a year. I my knowledge i've now helped over 20 people with the problem by simply adjust there power settings or replacing the psu. Its taxing on the system.. put a volt meter on your main board and turn on generals. you'd fcuking realize you little not know it alls**ts..

And now this is the fun part... to reproduce it i simply put back in my old 460 watt psu.. not the new 550 i have and BAM restarts after 10-15 minutes.. sometimes faster.. EVERYTIME.. put my new one back in .. NOTHIGN... smooth ass playin... Not harware huh? well for all you kiddi n00bs that don't do computer repair and think you know how to fix pidly windows problems.. until you've done some electronics and know a bit about how a computer works deep within not just softtware you would finally see that it can adversly effect a system with how much power it has available..

Why do you think they have varied powersupply wattages.. if it didn't matter they'd all be the same.

And for everyone that has a new video card with a power plug to it.. pull the power on it while the computer is running... it will rever your display to a reallys**tting setting or completely restart a computer... pretty similar yet interesting effect huh..

THis is needs to be locked.... its pathetic and all you out there who haven't taken the time to actually try spending a little money on that cheaply built system you think is so god damn great. It IS HARDWARE.. and sometimes but not always SOFTWARE.... it is EA.. i'll give ya the game likes too lag ya out sometimes on hard with tons of visuals in generals.. but ya'll need to get a life.. theis thread is completely one with... its been fixed.. every theory applied.. and at least 8 times out of 10 its been power configs or ram partiy settings.....

Brian Young Mar 27, 2005, 11:08am EST Report Abuse

Mikey K Mar 27, 2005, 11:43am EST Report Abuse
1) English would be good??

2) 550 watt is the biggest gigantic waste of money/power and ur electric bill. If your reproducing the crash from using a 460watt psu then the psu is faulty, because 460 watts is more than enough for a high end system. I suggest you use an online power calculator.

3) Volt meter on the motherboard?? lol what are you talking about?

3) Dunno bout the crashing cos i dont get that but the slow down on hard ai IS NOT HARDWARE RELATED LOL

I agree this topic prob should be locked, doesnt seem to be going anywhere

Mikey (uk)
Intel P4 3Ghz 1MB Cache, 1GB DDR400
NVidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MBgDDR3

Rick Edwards Mar 27, 2005, 02:22pm EST Report Abuse
If you took the time to read the posts, you would find that crashing to a Blue screen was NOT the error 99.9 people we referrring to.

The error is the game slowing down and then crasing to the desktop, or just crashing to the desktop with an error screen, not BLUE screen.

Craashing to a blue screen is a Hardware hault, not a game fault, so if your system was doing that, it means you had a FAULTY power supply, if it went away when you installed a new one.

I have been using a TT 550 Purepower supply for months now, starting with a basic AMD 3200+, MSI 5950 ultra card, and one hard drive. The crash seems to happen more when you play againest 8 armies, with the hardest level, but happens pretty much on all game scenario's

Below is my current system spcs, and YES still crashes

ASUS SLI Motherboard
AMD 64 939 3500+
1 Gig Of Corsair Xtreme memory
2, Yes 2 Leadtek 6800 Ultra Video cards, in SLi mode
3 - 250 Hitachi SATA Drives, running in Raid
1- 250 Western Digital IDE
1 Plextor SATA DVD burner
1 TT 550 Puepower Power Supply
The system with the Cooling that I have, runs at 34 C

So go ahead and tell me its hareware related ;-)

Rick

vs4562f Mar 27, 2005, 02:35pm EST Report Abuse
It's not hardware related and if you remove the game from your hard drive TOTALLY - re-install it and then dowload patch 1.03 and INSTALL IT ALONE - it should work fine. In other words don't use the game's 'download updates' feature and it will be fine.

Yes it crashes from time to time - it's got bugs in it. None of this is hardware related.

Tomas Alanov

Rob Chen Mar 27, 2005, 02:43pm EST Report Abuse
No, re-installing the game does not help.

In fact, it is safe to bet that THERE ARE NO REMEDIES TO THIS PROBLEM WHATSOEVER!!

Ever soultion that seemed to have worked, end up not working. For those unfortunate people who are experiencing this problem, too bad. My friend really wants to play this game, and is very p**sed that he is thinking of getting a new computer. But then, some of you tried that, and it still won't work.

vs4562f Mar 27, 2005, 03:02pm EST Report Abuse
As I said before - re-install it properly and you will not get the 'serious error' upon starting the game.

Yes there are other bugs in the software that have not been addressed but that is the nature of most games - albeit more so in Generals/Zero Hour.

j m Mar 27, 2005, 08:15pm EST Report Abuse
all right ya little know it alls**t just shut up now your talking our of your asses... MY GAME ONLY STOPPED WORKED AND STARTED RESTARTING ONCE I GOT A NEW VIDEO CARD... it NEVER did it before that... i put my old video card in nothing, put the new one back in CRASH.... so as with the new card in i was forced update my psu because with the amount of tested.. several psu's at once and a system wide test you don't even really know how to check i proved it. Not to mention all the people i helped... yeah maybe its the game 1 otta 20 times.. so stfu... you don't know what your talking about you f**king noobs. grow up people

AND P f**kING S... if 20 other people had the same problem and i managed to help them fix it and no this is just 1 of 3 of the same threads... then maybe thats saying smething... its not software... or EVERYONE WOULD f**kING HAVE THE PROBLEM YOU LOSERS.

Rob Chen Mar 27, 2005, 08:38pm EST Report Abuse
ITS OVER! EA GOT US BY THE BALLS WE WILL NEVER FIX THE PROBLEM!

vs4562f Mar 27, 2005, 11:32pm EST Report Abuse
James Miller you f**king loser. It is SOFTWARE f**kwit - what do you think makes your hardware [graphics card] work with games?

know-nothing halfwit - keep your little trap shut and leave this to the grown ups.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.