Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 417 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 07:57am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Mikey K Mar 28, 2005, 12:47am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
I'll second that ^^

lol James miller you silly boy! Ahh well, maybe it is hardware related just for him. Perhaps you shouldnt have bought your pc from 'toys r us' james??

Mikey (uk)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Snake Pliskan Mar 28, 2005, 01:03am EST Report Abuse
lol..................if you had read the previous 7 pages or so........little james's reputation is widely known.......well liked and all ...........lol..............he's better than us................if you don't believe just ask him

Brian Stewart Mar 28, 2005, 03:39am EST Report Abuse
James Miller is right.

Like we both were saying in the beginning.

HARDWARE.

Software may contribute, but HARDWARE is why it works for some and not others.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Brian Piscitelli Mar 28, 2005, 06:08am EST Report Abuse
Power Related... i think not james.... I have one of the top rated powersupplies! I have an Enermax 600w (PFC). Seriously doubt it is power! Not to mention... Pretty sure that HL2, FarCry, and Doom3 stress my system a bit more then Generals.... I can play any other game, out of the 80 games that i own... without a problem in the world.

There error message is a copout !!!!
1 generic messages for all there problems, "technical difficulties". (No error codes) and there scapegoat is your computer.

vs4562f Mar 28, 2005, 07:37am EST Report Abuse
Brian, there are thousands of different combinations of hardware/components in the PCs that make up Generals player's PCs - and we're ALL getting the errors.

Buggy Software.

Rob Chen Mar 28, 2005, 01:27pm EST Report Abuse
Mine works fine and so does every friend of mine, except one. He has an Alienware computer. He gets constant crashes from generals, about error with game.dat and "serious error, your computer might be overheating... blah blah..."

j m Mar 29, 2005, 08:48pm EST Report Abuse
enermax is the top rated psu.. oh my god.. you just made my day.. i have never laughed so hard in my life.. enermax, antec, thermaltake, are alls**t.... there all generic remarketed and marked up for perfomance crap ... try a sparkle or a+gbp or zippy or pc power and cooling....

see the one thing you don't understand is mine is a dual system.. i don't have a putsy single processor system so where as maybe you only need a 400 watt.. i need twice as much as a regular system.

And this isn't the only forum for this problem, theres zereo hour, xp random restart, and a few others, all with the same similarities. Its hardware and power configs. Yeah zero hours bigger map count is buggy but if you have your system right it should run fun...

My game always ran fine and it seemed about the time the 9600-xt and the 9800-xt came out this all started happening with everyone.. no one before those cards had the problem because those cards requred so damn much power. I cannot count the hours i've spent on a the electronics end of upper level tech support.... ati got mad at me, tyan was like woah really, and ea well they were like whatever...

but the simple fact is if it wasn't hardware then how come i helped so many people correct this very problem.

It was narrowed down to 1. psu 2. bios voltages 3. cas ram settings/timings 4. last of all heat.

See the psu wattage rating doesn't really mean a whole lot, its the amperage rating on the different legs that do. Just because you have a 400 watt psu doesn't mean that 12 leg has 20-30 amps on it.. it could have 10 or 15 or whatever.. my old psu had 15amps on the 12volt and really bad amperage ratings on the legs.. my new one has 20amps on the 12 45 on the 5.5 and 55a on the 3.3... i mean my system balances out around 13-14 volts core voltage.. which even with 11 molex connectors pans out really well..

But i ran a multimeter on my system when i ran generals and it would shrink in power till the system crashed cuz it wasn't getting enough amps to support the load of that huge fricken video card. I even try an oscope to prove a few other things that i won't get in to. And another way i proved it i ended up tieing a separate psu to my vcard.. that worked as well. but without all the extra bs. the new video card would just casuse restarts in generals... and everyone i helped was problem for problem as described and fixed..

Maybe for once someone else is right and not just you, i may come off cocky, and sure alot of times i am, but how else are you guys gonna finally listen and try something that may fix your problem.

Remember though, if it was software, i would have the problem still, and everyone else would too.. to bad though that they don't. And also windows xp has a similar problem anyways on a forum post where this was happening to just regular xp usage.. so its not the game.. it is hardware.. its always hardware.

j m Mar 29, 2005, 09:01pm EST Report Abuse

Rob Chen Mar 29, 2005, 10:24pm EST Report Abuse
So my friend has an ATI X800 Pro 256mb, and his copy of zero hour runs fine, and his power supply is only about 450... ya its really the powersupply..

Brian Stewart Mar 29, 2005, 10:55pm EST Report Abuse
Wattage of power supplies means nothing - look at the amperagess on the rails.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
vs4562f Mar 29, 2005, 11:46pm EST Report Abuse
James Miller you are the stupidest crackhead I've ever seen on these forums.

Dummy! It is not the hardware brainless as s hole! I have had the exact same problem on this game on THREE DIFFERENT PCS!

Are you that fu cking stupid?!?!

Brian Stewart Mar 30, 2005, 12:29am EST Report Abuse
It.
Is.
Hardware.

The vast majority of reasons for this issue have their roots in HARDWARE.

PSU underpowered, GPU overheating, and other issues.

If it was software, the same code would NEVER work on ANYONE'S machine.

The game engine is the same - Zero Hour just adds some effects that REALLY tax the gpu.
For all of you having this problem - Generals works and Zero Hour doesn't.

If you say it is software - WHY DOES IT WORK FOR ME?
I want someone to explain how the SAME code has worked on many people's pcs, but failed on yours.

The code is the SAME.
Installation proceudre / system setup (software side, windows config and such) is not the issue - many people have tried reformatting multiple times.
The only difference is hardware.

The only difference is HARDWARE.
There may be software issues as well that SOME users experience - notable the refresh rate issue, and driver issues, but they are easy to solve.

Many of you say "But I have a 500 W psu!!"
WATTAGE does NOT mean ANYTHING.
A 700 W PSU from Mr. Happy's SuperPower is not going to cut it.
AMPERAGE on your +12 V rail is far more important.

Other hardware issues could be overheating. If any of you have an overclocked cpu or gpu, set the clocks back to normal! Stable in windows and other games does NOT mean totally stable.

And then there's the RAM. It's the same thing with overheating - Stable in windows and other games, even in memtest does NOT mean 100% stable.

This has all been said before, people seem to refuse to believe that it's hardware.
I know that the vast majority of people with this problem are using custom-built pcs.
And I know that the majority of people who build pcs choose bad power supplies. (Going for the 45 dollar 550 W PSU with the $10 rebate at Fry's)

This is certainly hardware related - but it can be fixed in software. Since Generals works, Zero Hour, using the same engine, should work. The small changes made to the code could be the culprit - taxing the computer fully for some reason.
Given the nature of the crash most people report (stuttering, slowly crashing, instead of an instant lock up) I suspect that it's the gpu. A typical cpu crash is instantaneous. A typical gpu crash results in hanging, stuttering, possibly with artifacts, then death.

Another (yes, another!) reason I am sure it's hardware is because poeple report that this occurs only when they play 7 hard AI opponents on large maps. Or that that's how it happens the fastest. 7 AI opponents will tax the system far more than 2 or 3. (And Hard opponents will probably tax it more than Easy opponents)

Another possible reason for the crash is piracy.
Westwood puts fun little "screw you"s into their games.
In other C&C games, the installer would accept a lot of cd-keys.
The key gen was easy to make.
BUT, the game itself would go through the registry to see if the cd-key was actually valid (using a stricter algorithm to evaluate the cd-key from the registry, which, byt the way, had been encrypted by the installer so you would have to uninstall and reinstall just to change cd-keys).

Now, if the cd-key wasn't valid according to the stricter algorithm, it would let you play, for 10 minutes, then your entire base, and all your units, BLOW UP. And you lose.

PERHAPS (probably not) Westwood (Westwood made the game, then EA bought them and changed it) decided to do a new thing in addition to that.

Imagine how many tech support e-mails and calls Westwood got from the people who's bases blew up.
Now, the trick was old. Look at the volume of people complaining about this bug.
It COULD be that this is another attempt to identify and track down pirated copies.
HOWEVER, if it is, it almost certainly backfired - because there are SO many people complaining about this issue, and I don't think they're all pirates, and I assume some of you actually own the game. (I know most have pirated copies, that's just the way it is when you talk to computer enthusiasts - most of those that don't have jobs don't pay for software)

Anyway, I really doubt that's the case.

I'm sticking with the "IT'S HARDWARE" response.
Too bad it doesn't solve your problems.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
vs4562f Mar 30, 2005, 12:36am EST Report Abuse
Brian cuddle up with your buddy James since you're both equally stupid!

Save the rest of earth's population the misery of having to share our planet with such village idiots!

This is not a hardware issue mongoloid! If it was they wouldn't be desperately writing patches for it.

This is not a hardware issue dickhead! If it was it wouldn't cause the same problem on thousands of ENTIRELY DIFFERENT HARDWARE SETUPS!

This is not a hardware issue you twit! None of our hardware has any problems ON ANY OTHER PIECE OF SOFTWARE - only this game crashes!

Stop playing this game so you'll be able to get a job and be able to buy a decent computer! YOUR COMPUTER ISs**t - Don't make the same assumption for the rest of us!

HOW FU CKING STUPID ARE YOU TWO?!?! LOL

Mikey K Mar 30, 2005, 02:47am EST Report Abuse
Oh dear god lol

1) Whoever said up there that watts and amps are nothing to do with each other needs to be quiet

WATTS = AMPS X VOLTAGE : this is the most simple law of electrical physics, these 3 values will ALWAYS be proportionate to each other, ie; NO U CANNOT have 2 psu's saying they are 400watt while one has x amps on one line and another has y amps on the same line, they would be equal. If they arent equal then the psu is not the same wattage rating at all. You could have different line ratings sure, but they would still have to add up to however many watts the psu is rated as. And just so u know, gpu card draw is nowhere near as bad as everyone thinks it is; i have a 6800 GT running fine on a bog standard generic 400watt psu, i get no errors, no overheating, fine. NVidia's statement of 400w minimum is an overexageration by about 50/70 watts to incorporate safe margins for different ppls hardware configurations.

2) God damn u and ur hardware errors, ITS A COP OUT ERROR MSG BY EA. Hardware error would give u bsod or a reboot, at very least it would note the error in the event log as a hardware fault, low and behold it doesnt because no hardware error occured! please check ur own error logs for these mystical hardware errors!

3) Again, multimeter on ur board? lol id love to know exactly where uve been sticking the probes that give u this conclusion (baring in mind degree in electronics engineering so no more bs please)

4) NOCD Patches; This is about the only thing im inclined to agree with could be the cause, maybe not deliberatly though, i did used to get the random crashing to desktop with the serious error message, Most of the time i put it down to mod patches i had installed, but nocd patch's could have also been the fault because i have changed nocd patchs quite a few times since and no longer get this error (no hardware changes on that machine)

Mikey (uk)
Intel P4 3Ghz, 1Mb Cache, 1GB DDR400
NVidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MBgDDR3

Brian Stewart Mar 30, 2005, 03:18am EST Report Abuse
WATTS = AMPS X VOLTAGE

The wattage on a PSU means MAX TOTAL DRAW.
The power on each individual rail is SEPARATE, and is only indicated by the AMPERAGE rating.

It is hardware.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Mikey K Mar 30, 2005, 05:24am EST Report Abuse
OK PLZ PROVIDE HARDWARE ERROR LOG??

Oh look it doesnt exist!

ALSO WHY IS IT I CAN PLAY WITHOUT ANY ERROR WITH BOG STANDARD PSU? AND I ONLY GET THIS ERROR WHEN USING CERTAIN PATCHES / NOCD's

Max power draw = wattage across all rails, yes if ud read my post properly i had already said different rails may varie, however they still have to add up to whatever rating the psu is. Listen to me ffs. Power errors cause complete reset or at least blue screen, they do not just give errors written by ea you idiots!

Whys is it everything else that use's 10x the amount of cpu/gpu power (hl2, doom3, act of war etc etc) works fine??

ASIDES FROM THAT;

I reproduced this error and read 'access violation error' from zero hours own error logs. Anyone who knows a little about computer programming will know that this is caused by bad programming, typically when the computer trys to access memory that it either doesnt have permission to do so or memory already assigned to another program/system resource. Now; this could be the nocd patch, it could be an update mod, it could even be zero hours game code; BUT IT IS NOT A HARDWARE ERROR!!

Brian Piscitelli Mar 30, 2005, 06:21am EST Report Abuse
I totally agree with you Mikey K!!!!!!!! Clearly is not hardware!!

vs4562f Mar 30, 2005, 08:24am EST Report Abuse
Brian Stewart - PROVIDE EVIDENCE of your claim that this is caused by hardware.

I have already given you the empirical evidence: Tens of thousands of people are playing this game on thousands of different setups - and yet they are ALL getting the same errors.

I just doesn't sink in for you does it?

Also bear in mind that the same people are playing games with a far higher load on the system resources and their [our] machines are running like a dream on those games! Duh.

Set them straight Mikey!

Tomas

dan lessard Mar 31, 2005, 11:11pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero hour "everything blows up"
when i attempt to play in solo or lan all my buildings blow up on me and blow up on the other comps on my network. mind yous that i do have the origional serials/keys to play, and was just wondering what the hell is going on? if some one could answer me that would be great. if you wish you can send your answer in the form of an email to dirtydee123@hotmail.com thanks, oh or just post here thanx

vs4562f Apr 01, 2005, 12:05am EST Report Abuse
Dan that is a virus or bug causing that - just do a 'repair' install of the game

as far as I remember you need to put the cd in the drive and attempt to 'install' - select 'repair' and follow through the steps.

good luck

Tomas

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.