Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 472 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 08:06am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Mikey K Apr 01, 2005, 03:14am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
Thats what it does when the game detects a nocd patch. Use a decent patch or try buying the game?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Brian Stewart Apr 01, 2005, 03:41am EST Report Abuse
far less people experience the error than the number that do.

if it was software, it would happen on ALL systems, as the code is the same.

And as for power supplies - Hard drives and optical drives only get power form the +12 V rail, nothing else (unless you've got a sata drive with a psu with sata connectors)
Graphics cards with molex connections draw from the mobos connection and the 12 volt rail.

You do NOT get all of the power of a power supply where you need it, all you get is what it's connected to.

For everyone who says it is software
ANSWER THIS
Why does it work fine for me?

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Mikey K Apr 01, 2005, 06:08am EST Report Abuse
I dont get that error either anymore but i can reproduce it. That doesnt mean its not software

ARE YOU STUPID? DID U READ MY POST? ACCESS ERRORS ARE SOFTWARE U TWONK LOL
Like i already said, it could be caused by update patchs; dif nocd patchs; mod patchs; anything, and if you can play a skirmish on hard ai with 2 opponents on twilight flame without it slowing ill eat my hat

Asides from the fact that ur hardware is all controlled by the games software. If it is caused by a certain piece of hardware than the chances are 99.99% that its the games i/o handling of this hardware and not the hardware itself.

This particular error gives 'access violation error' that cannot be hardware, EVER EVER EVER, LOL if u dont believe me, reproduce the error urself (zero hour reborn and try play through all the single player will do it) on certain levels it will slow and crash, read the error msg urself in zero hour logs, do some homework on what access violation means and u will understand, it gives the same msg and error for the random crash on start aswell (check the first page of this thread)

PLEASE NO MORE OF THIS TOPIC HAHA I CANT TAKE THE STUPIDY ANYMORE LOL

dan lessard Apr 02, 2005, 02:12pm EST Report Abuse
Thanx Tom i'll try that

dan lessard Apr 02, 2005, 02:23pm EST Report Abuse
ok its been 1 day since my last problem now im getting the crash only my computer is shutting down and restarting with the crash, then i get the error message, now i have 0 trouble with Grnerals its just zero hour and i play everything on my laptop wich is less than what i would like to have, but here are the specs to it. keep in mind i never have any trouble with anything else i play.

i think it a AMD athlon xp M 2700
256 ram shared with 64mb ATI
windows XP home
oh and its a compaq presario 2100
lol funny eh? im not sure about the rest of it buy im sure it cant be much but as ive said i have no trouble playing other games like generals just fine any help? oh if yous think i need some more ram if you have any for sale cheap ill buy it, as im too poor to buy top new stuff at the moment thanx address is dirtydee123@hotmail.com

Brian Stewart Apr 02, 2005, 02:26pm EST Report Abuse
I have played through all of generals and zero hour
I have played, and beaten, all campaigns (even the Dragon Lady one)
I have also beaten every map in skirmish, with the map filled with all hard opponents.

Not
A
Single
Crash

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
dan lessard Apr 02, 2005, 02:43pm EST Report Abuse
thats good and all but that doesn't help me none. can you help me?

dan lessard Apr 02, 2005, 02:52pm EST Report Abuse
one more thing is i never get the updates for the game cuz im affraid it'll never work again lol

vs4562f Apr 02, 2005, 04:33pm EST Report Abuse
The only other thng I forgot to mention before: anyone who is having a problem with their PC shutting down/restarting on them and the game previously worked fine - and no changes have been made to the game - try cleaning out your PC - get some rubber gloves on, and open the PC up. Blow the dust out and brush some off the Heatsink/fan - personally I use a catering brush (a clean/new one that hasn't been used in the kitchen obviously!)

The 'error codes' are thrown up by the game as Mikey et al pointed out - but it IS possible for the game to cause a restart since it is resource heavy and will push the CPU. If your heatsink/fan are clogged with dust and the inside of the PC is dusty and dirty generally that can happen!

good luck!

I'm going to twilight flame, anyone care to battle?

Tomas

dan lessard Apr 02, 2005, 05:38pm EST Report Abuse
thanx again tom ill try that

Brian Stewart Apr 02, 2005, 05:52pm EST Report Abuse
Has anyone tested CPU usage before the crash?

Just leave task manager open to the erformance tab, fire up generals, play in a situation that would cause the crash, before it does, tab back to check cpu usage.

I bet it's at 100% the whole time, or at least right before the crash (stuttering).

If it's not, do the same but check your video card temps. I bet they skyrocket.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
bill theman Apr 02, 2005, 09:51pm EST Report Abuse
Hi, i believe there is alot more people then you guys think that are having the same problem.
I usually crash about 80% of the time i play online and every time i crash my friends that are
the same game with me also crash along with the enemys that i was playing with when i go
back online and ask them if they crashed. I highly doubt it is a hardware problem for those of you
that believe it is. i have changed video cards upgraded to a gig of ram and still have the problem.

I dont think you can fix the problem if everyone in the game crashes too then it most be the game itself!!

Mikey K Apr 03, 2005, 06:02am EDT Report Abuse
Nah, we already ran cpu stability testing way back in the thread, that was one of my first ideas that it could have been caused by thermal throttling or general instability, CPU tested out fine, sure it went up to 100% sometimes, but it does that frequently anyway, thermal throttling didnt occur and no stability problems were found at any point.

Person with the blowing up buildings ; You have a bad nocd patch, replace it with a better one and it will work, i know this because the same thing has happened to me before, you get 30 secs into a game and everything blows up, and game over, you need an online nocd not just the standard one.

Mikey

dan lessard Apr 03, 2005, 01:09pm EDT Report Abuse
OK this one is off topic but ill ask you guy any way. i just downloaded Warcraft 3 - the frozen throne. when i double click on the program to run it, it opens a dos like window that says " Program to big to fit in memory"

Can anyone help me out there to fix the issue?

thanx E-mail dirtydee123@hotmail.com

doboy millar Apr 07, 2005, 04:14am EDT Report Abuse
hi i was have a solution for the start up problems with Generals (technical difficulties) and Zero Hour (serious error virus etc......). i'll start off with one at a time so this step i will be using Generals to hopefully not confuse anybody. DO NOT UNISTALL this might sound a bit weird but try it and go along with it.

step1: delete the C&C folder in My Documents. yes delete it.

step2: find where you installed C&C (by default - C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals) delete the main C&C folder. yes again delete it.

step3: empty your recycle bin just for good measure.

step4: put C&C Generals Disc1 in and load it up. at the install box click on INSTALL. a box with the repair or remove options should come up. select REMOVE.

step5: once it has been unistalled reinstall it. once its finished installing try running it.

you shouldnt get the messages anymore and you can get back to some gaming. i havent tried updating with the patches just incase it starts the errors again. i was just happy it was working again so i didnt want to push my luck. i hope this helps alot of yous i know how annoying it can be, ea's advise was no good for me RAM, CPU etc... didnt help one bit. this was the only way i could get it going. have fun if it doesnt work for sorry and i hope someone can come up with another fix for you.

Brian Piscitelli Apr 07, 2005, 04:44am EDT Report Abuse
doboy millar

Thx for the suggestion. The problems came with the patches tho. (The faulty programming with the patches) Without the newest patch the game is really uneven. But i suppose it is better then crashing-out all the time. Also to play online u must have the newest patch.

doboy millar Apr 07, 2005, 07:36am EDT Report Abuse
i must of been one of the unlucky ones i hadnt even installed the patches and i couldnt get to the menu let alone get pass start up screen lol. but yea you do need the patches to play online and they are buggy, but like i was saying i havent installed them and have no real need to i only lan it and dont play it as much as i would like too. i personally dont like the chances of a patch being released that would fix the probs, the game has been out long enough with these probs being notified to ea. the only thing i have noticed is that it runs well on mid core pc? i have two and i run it fine on my P4 1.6Gz, 256MB FX5600 with a mere 384MB SDRAM. the pc i had probs running it on is my P4 2.6Gz, 128 Ti4600, 1Gig DDR and it seems like alot of people are having probs running it on there high end machines. ea really need to sort these probs out the whole C&C has such a big following you would think one of if not the biggest game company at the moment would be onto it like a hawk.

vs4562f Apr 07, 2005, 07:56am EDT Report Abuse
guys you have to completely uninstall the game - then reinstall BUT don't let the game try and update itself!

download the update from the generals site and run it THEN go online once it's done.

all the best,

Tomas

Brian Stewart Apr 14, 2005, 06:39pm EDT Report Abuse
Patch 1.04 was released today

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Brian Piscitelli Apr 15, 2005, 09:32am EDT Report Abuse
here is a link to dl the patch

http://www.cncnz.com/files/zero_hour/patches.shtml

doubt it will help.. but i guess it is worth a try
I looked at teh official zhour site, and did not find this.. so i am not really sure if this is an offical release yet.?!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.