Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 498 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 08:19am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
vs4562f Apr 17, 2005, 09:27am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
I wouldn't download this 1.04 patch yet - not sure if it's official!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Karl Burry Apr 17, 2005, 11:10am EDT Report Abuse
Hey everyone,

I fixed my issue by removing my creative live gamer sound card and instead use my nforce2 onboard sound. I have played several games online for over an hour and a half with only once crashing. Do a lot of you have the creative or audigy sound cards?? If so try what i did and see if it makes any difference.

Karl Burry

msi k7N2L
athlon xp2500
geforce fx5200 128
nforce2 audio
512 mb ddr333 single channel
80 gb 7200rpm wd

Brian Piscitelli Apr 17, 2005, 11:56am EDT Report Abuse
thx for the suggestion Karl Burry.
I do have a SB Audigy 2 ZS. But on either note, that is still EA programming errors. I do not have problems with anyother games, or programs.
As well as, i am not going to shut my pc down and take my sound card out everytime i want to play Zhour.

Mikey K Apr 17, 2005, 12:41pm EDT Report Abuse
LOL, This thread is going to need its own website soon!
It never ends! so aswell as annoying me with its lack of 'workingness' zero hour is having at my inbox aswell! damn you ea games! hahaha

Mikey (uk)

j m Apr 17, 2005, 03:15pm EDT Report Abuse
i want everyone just fors**ts and giggles to get a multimeter.. and insert it into your main plug on the red and black wires.. then try your orange wires and yellow wires.. all before your game crashes.. i wanna see if anyone can duplicate my results when i did it. right before your game crashes your voltage should drop on one of the 3 power levels a psu offers.. ither on the 12, 5, or 3 volt legs. So until anyone has tried this i would refrain from calling me a stupid f**ker who doesn't know what he's talking about.

And i never said the error was just power, but it sure is a factor.

Brian Stewart Apr 17, 2005, 03:40pm EDT Report Abuse
They won't. No one has a multimeter.

How about logging your voltages from a monitoring program?

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Mikey K Apr 17, 2005, 03:51pm EDT Report Abuse
James, Its far more likely the crash itself is causing those readings, rather than those readings causing the crash. While i doubt these results are relevant, simply crashing out of a 3d game onto the desktop would cause obvious changes in power shortly before the crash, and during, from the graphics card switching from 3d to 2d mode (amoungst various other bits of hardware)
As far as computer power requirements go, its not as simple as sticking a multimeter in a power line and saying 'thats not right' when you see change, all that does is tell you the power requirements changed, what it doesnt tell you is whether the device is still running perfectly well and whether the device itself actually caused the change from performing a normal action (which is far more likely)

Think about it this way, volts/amps/watts are directly related, it stands to reason that if a gpu is pulling a large amount of power (amps) while playing a 3d game, that when it switch's (game crash for example) to a lower ampage the voltage will flux, while for the best part your psu will try to keep the voltage steady when this event occurs itll never be able to get it to stay perfect while there are large changes going on with the power requirements

vs4562f Apr 17, 2005, 08:21pm EDT Report Abuse
James Miller - Listen to Mikey, he knows what he is talking about!

Tomas Alanov

j m Apr 24, 2005, 10:21am EDT Report Abuse
k... keep telling yourself you know what your talking about but i could have taped it on my camcorder and played it back for ya. And don't start quoting electronicss**t to me ok cuz im not stupid, i did custom car audio and electronics installation for about 5 years. Not to mention a couple house installs and actuall house wiring. I know how voltage flucuates beings it amps, volts, watts, or straight up emp interference.

But obviously no one is gonna change your mind.... you must be perfect. So on that note im out cuz i have better things to waste my time on, like my 3d modeling final. Anyways peace out people and good luck, and you can all stik this game up your asses.

Mikey K Apr 24, 2005, 01:32pm EDT Report Abuse
lol!!

Actually, amusing as this thread has been i think ea should 'stick this game up their collective ass'es' and we should stop arguing about a piece ofs**t that none of us even play anymore. I actually bought generals, luckily i didnt pay for zero hour and i certainly wont be paying for their next title.

Mikey (uk)
Intel P4 3Ghz 1MB Cache, 1GB DDR400
NVidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MBgDDR3

vs4562f Apr 24, 2005, 02:29pm EDT Report Abuse
James Miller you are not only a MORON but also....

.....a GEEK!

This is not an 'electronics' issue - it is a software issue.

So listen to Mikey - because you need to learn from the men, boy!

Tomas

Brian Piscitelli Apr 25, 2005, 05:17am EDT Report Abuse
LOL!! that is great..
sry u feel that way James...
The general engine is soooo powerful and it crashes my computer bc i dont have enogh power.... riiiight.. and HL2 and Doom3 and Farcry and all of the 100 games i own dont crash my computer. I can benchmark my system for an entire day and it wont crash... "but u know this generals engine is soooooooo powerful... u have to have 3 x 600w w/60amps on the 12v rails, and a 10ghz cpu, and 8GB of ddr3"...
wut a fu*king JOKE!! I am soo completely positive that it is not a power issue. Not to mention i have one of the Highest rated consumer PSU's (enermax 600w w/PFC (cost me 180$ at newegg.com)) I have monitored voltage sooooo many times... and never seen it drop to anything that could even resemble a crash!!! I guess I could alwasy buy the 700w enermax or Pc power and cooling.... yaa... yaa.. mabye i will do that, and spend 300$ for the PS that aint gunna do sh*t differ then i have now!
LOL... wow... thats amazing someone can call this a power issue.

My computer specs:
p4 3.0ghz @ 3.38
2gb OCZ 4000 1:1
2x 74gb raptors
2x 250gb maxtor 16mb ATA
1x 120gb Seagate SATA
NEC 16x dvd burner
Lite-On CD/DVD
x800xt PE
SB Live Audigy 2 ZS
600w Enermax w/PFC

I guess it could alwasy be a driver issue.. like the one guy posted, with the SB... but i am not about to change out my Sound card everytime i want to play f'in generals! Out of eveything i have that is prolly the only thing that could cause it, which would still be a Generals programming issue, bc everyother game works correctly with it.... obviously not HDD or default windows install... bc i have fromatted god knows how many times, and reinstalled the game the amount of times. Not power, dont have ne probs with ne other games, (WHICH WOULD ADVERSELY AFFECT MY ENTINE COMPUTER!).

j m Apr 28, 2005, 05:23pm EDT Report Abuse
BOUT TIME I WON THIS LITTLE CAT FIT.... BARE WITNESS ALL NON BELIVERS THIS WAS IN THE RECENT MAXIMUM PC MAGZINE... TAKE THAT a**hole

http://students.uat.edu/jammille/OWNED.JPG

j m Apr 28, 2005, 05:25pm EDT Report Abuse
one thing you little twats have to understand is just because you have an all powerfull average gaming rig that you paid tons for doesn't mean you know squat about the actuall workings of a computer... not everything is software. And most of the time it isn't. Not when a error is this random to everyone. So yeah RIGGGGHHTT.. I AM..

Mikey K Apr 28, 2005, 06:06pm EDT Report Abuse
Thats a lovely picture james, i especially liked the artistic underlining of random words! lol

But it really doesnt have anything to do with this thread does it? I dunno how many times i have to explain it to you before you see the light of your error and give up this stupid argument. Enough of the power line rubbish, power faults generally cause crashing or freezing (as that article says), what they dont do is cause software based errors, with software error codes (check the error log yourself), to be honest im getting sick of explaining myself. Either your utterly stupid, or just one of those ppl who likes to think they are always right, im assuming the latter although this repeated argument after at least 3/4 attempts of mine to explain things is making me wonder. Maybe im just not explaining things right.

Your soon approaching 'EA GAMES FANBOY' status, please please no more power line blah blah lol

And whats with that sig?????? Are you 12? lol

Mike (uk)

Snake Pliskan Apr 28, 2005, 06:14pm EDT Report Abuse
james,james,james.........or should we call you little jimmy........at it again.annoying everyone with the I'm better than you crap,know everything,etc.............again.James has an inferiority complex and you bad people are just getting little jimmy all wound up!Everyone check out pages 12 to 16 to read about the little guy having a temper tantrum.The words dont lie ..........little jimmy..............lol.He's some of the best entertainment on the net.Been waitin for ya to get all revved up little jimmy.........just bringing you back down to earth bitch................lol

Snake Pliskan Apr 28, 2005, 06:16pm EDT Report Abuse
yes he is 12

vs4562f Apr 28, 2005, 06:50pm EDT Report Abuse
James - 12 year old drama queen!

what a slut.

Tomas

Brian Stewart Apr 28, 2005, 07:30pm EDT Report Abuse
THESE ARE SIMPLE FACTS:

IF IT WERE A PROBLM WITH THE GAME'S CODE IT WOULD AFFECT EVERYONE IN THE SAME WAY.
IF IT WERE HARDWARE, IT WOULD NOT AFFECT EVERYONE.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Mikey K Apr 28, 2005, 08:33pm EDT Report Abuse
Duracell batteries go on and on and on and on and on lol. I hate you people! lol

Why does everyone not get it? well everyone can get it, i dont get the error normally but can trigger it by installing certain mods/nocd patchs/versions of update patchs, is my hardware faulty? is it hell lol. The fact is that the game itself reports this as a software error in its own error logs. If it has anything to do with hardware then its the games i/o handling of that hardware, and not the hardware itself (if it were u'd be seing far more errors in more programs)

Come on ppl. Did everyone suddenly get a little dumber? lol

PLEASE STOP THIS ARGUMENT! check the error logs yourself, look up what that error means, you will find its programming error, no more 'its hardware' until you can answer the following;

1) why is the game reporting this error as a software error, in its own error logs?
2) If its hardware, why does everything else work? and why does all my hardware check out fine?
3) why would there be such a high number of ppl with high end machines all having the same error?

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.