Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 475 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 08:12am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
gareth williams Jan 17, 2006, 05:27pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
i change my pc too a asrock dual 939 2GB ram OZ 4000+ amd XT800X PE AGP SATA raid 1 still crashing with bad address

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Brian Young Jan 18, 2006, 01:09pm EST Report Abuse

Lloyd LeBlanc Jan 18, 2006, 01:26pm EST Report Abuse
This thread might be old, but it's one of the few regarding C&C Generals and ZH that had any useful information in it. Most other threads I found had people giving up right and left -- as you did in frustration. So I am happy that I found it, and simply wanted to pass on my own experience in trying to run this fascinating but buggy software.

Snake Pliskan Jan 18, 2006, 07:32pm EST Report Abuse
I too have been around since about page 12,finally removed the game(s) and haven't thought about it for a long time.Recently revisited this ancient forum to see if anyone figured it out yet.I have read the new posts and tryed the uninstall generals only thing.Didn't even get to the opening screenshot.Back to forgetting about it................

Lloyd LeBlanc Jan 18, 2006, 08:16pm EST Report Abuse
I can certainly see why you would give up!!!! We were THIS close to throwing it in the can, then we actually got it running.

WinXP
1MB RAM
Pentium 1.2Hz Tualatin Chip
OLD Tyan 400 MB
Memory @ 133
Nvidia Ge4 4200ti 128MB RAM

Orlando Ferrante Jan 19, 2006, 01:09pm EST Report Abuse
I am the originator of this thread and I can't believe it is still going. I stopped monitoring so long ago. I still play the game and put up with the errors only because I enjoy it so much. I try to avoid the areas which produce the errors and just have fun playing LAN with 2 users, 2 AI's (Hard). Just as Snake mentioned above, I tried uninstalling just Generals, and I too, could not get past the splash screen before it asked for the first disk. Anyway, someone mentioned a few pages back about two versions of the game sold? This particular one could be installed without Generals? If this is true, EA Games is more pathetic than I ever thought....I can't believe this thread...:)

Lloyd LeBlanc Jan 19, 2006, 03:12pm EST Report Abuse
I wish I could answer your question about more than one version of either Generals or Zero Hour. My son bought Generals and the Zero Hour add-on originally as a package (not separately; it came in a "set" box). We had all the problems that you and others have had. We never had the "original" Generals-only disk. So it is possible that the "set" somehow might be different.
All I know is that we were NOT able to run the game before we did the routine of install and uninstall mentioned above in my previous message.

aisonburnley Jan 19, 2006, 03:58pm EST Report Abuse
try to patch it with a no cd crack/fixed exe it might work (both C&C generals and C&C zerohour)

:)

Snake Pliskan Jan 19, 2006, 09:28pm EST Report Abuse
thats what I have.................it didn't work............

aisonburnley Jan 20, 2006, 11:52am EST Report Abuse
try to disable your Hyperthread through bios......
try to uninstall your anti-virus
try this cd key UN7P-G6SA-YAG4-4YL4-SG2W
try to delete option.ini file from the folder (both C&C Generals & Zero Hour)
try not to patch the both zero hour and generals with new patches (version 1. blah blah)

patched with fixed exe (both C&C Generals & Zero Hour)
use this exe to patch generals (dd-C&C_Generals_v1.06_No-CD_Installer.exe)

i've tried all this options and everything works fine but i don't know if it will crash if i go online but iknow i can't get connected because the copy i have was a pirated one :)

James Morkins Jan 28, 2006, 06:43pm EST Report Abuse
GUYS READ THIS: IF YOU SUPPORT THIS, SEND AN E-MAIL TO aerocorps@gmail.com IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THIS BETTER, SEND IN A NEW COPY OF THE PROPOSED LAWSUIT AGAINST EA!

THIS IS A SERIOUS MESSAGE SENT BY ALL PLAYERS OF THE COMMAND AND CONQUER ZERO HOUR GAME!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
EA, THIS IS NOT A THREAT. THIS IS REALITY!

We don't care about how well you make your games, but not responding to our technical difficulties and questions is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE! EVERYONE has had problems with Zero Hour and all you morons are doing is sit on your fat asses and doing nothing.

COMMAND AND CONQUER GENERALS: ZERO HOUR PLAYERS WOULD LIKE TO SAY:

If you do not fix the SERIOUS ERROR messages that pops up every 15 minutes, we will report this as a defected product. We have lost our patience and we were looking for a solution (which you have never given us upon millions of requests.) If a patch that fixes this problem is not made availble for download (and checked for defects) BEFORE FEBRUARY 3RD, A LAWSUIT WILL BE FILED!

AGAIN, EA HAS UNTIL FEBRUARY 3RD TO COMPLY OR ELSE A LAWSUIT WILL BE FILED.

Signed, the angry customers who will put you out of business.

The "February 3rd" part can be manipulated depending on how soon this letter is sent. Everyone who is complying, send e-mail to aerocorps@gmail.com to plan for a lawsuit.

Major Major Feb 10, 2006, 08:37am EST Report Abuse
I have a variation on the uninstall (Of Generals) fix mentioned earlier in which Zero Hour runs as a stand alone game.

I have a computer with two large disc drives. I now have Generals on D drive and Zero Hour on C drive with the operating system. Both games work, unlike before when I was getting that serious error crap everytime on the startup screen, and I haven't had any problems since.

Anyway, both of these games are awesome (In spite of some dodgy code and poor company support.) and I hope this fix works for somebody.

Banned User Feb 10, 2006, 02:07pm EST Report Abuse
i'm quite new here... anyway, i'm able to emphatize on this matter... i play the game on win xp pro x64 sp1 os, i recently applied the patch 1.04 & everything seems ok, except for the "easy info apps" part on support folder. it doesn't register my pc specs right & doesn't register my agp card including the monitor... tried to isolate the game by installing it on an another folder of my hard drive (the default is c:\Program Files (x86))& seems to be stable upto now. i guess, its a software issue @ ea, & other patch & mod developers...

Scott Hicks Feb 16, 2006, 11:01pm EST Report Abuse
PROBLEM: 'Serious Error' Message On Zero Hour Startup

SOLUTION: Download the 1.04 Patch and install from here http://www.softwarepatch.com/games/candczero.html

7th spher Feb 18, 2006, 04:54am EST Report Abuse
>> EA SUX
Ea sucks

Mikey K Feb 19, 2006, 02:12pm EST Report Abuse
OMG how is this thread still going lol? i was replying to this like 6 months ago haha

Stop messing around with ur computers, we did all this like 2million times at the start of the thread

EA is lame and they made a bad game that doesnt like some ppls computers.. simple as that
no amount of messing with ur bios or changing gfx settings is gonna change it cos its a software fault

Mikey K Feb 22, 2006, 07:18am EST Report Abuse
German kid trys to get Zero hour to work on his pc ....

http://www.break.com/index/patiencechild.html

LMFAO!!!

vs4562f Feb 27, 2006, 07:09pm EST Report Abuse
Keep this thread alive! This is the longest and coolest thread i've ever been on!!!!

vs4562f Feb 27, 2006, 07:13pm EST Report Abuse
Mike we were here in March of 2005! This thread is nearly three years long!

Elijah Plunkett Mar 08, 2006, 04:03pm EST Report Abuse
Hey guys, a quick google turned up some info.

Basically:

1. Uninstall Zero Hour
2. Find the Folder which it installed to (usually C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer
Zero Hour (or similar)) and DELETE IT COMPLETELY
3. Go to "My Documents" and delete the "Command and Conquer Zero Hour data" folder there. (remembering to shift memorable savegames FIRST!)
4. Reinstall, patch and enjoy :)

Hope this helps in some way, as this game (1.04 patch 'n all) works fine on my machine. (Athlon 2500+, Radeon 9800 XT, 512MB RAM, Soltek SL-75FRN2-L nForce2 MCP motherboard)

Flatmate's Intel-powered 2.8GHz HP overheated and power shutdown, while trying to run a Norton's antivirus scan as well as the game - thus a "Serious Error" message ensued. Generals runs fine (the HP still lives, the guy who was using it won through sheer force of particle cannon, usually we play without super weapons as it makes for a longer game).

Hope this helps!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.