Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 462 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 08:27am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Sadasius Frankenburger May 30, 2006, 01:45pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
I get no error message, just a serious freakin lag though about 10 minutes into the game. I definitely should get no lag with my system at all. Is there a fix for this. I tried the patch that was supplied here but it did not help. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times now in desperation to play it. Here is my system specs;

Pentium 4 3.2 HT (prescott 478)
3 gigs of 400 DDR ram
Nvidia GeForce FX 5950 Ultra 256
Asus P4800 deluxe Mobo
19" Phillips LCD with digital cable

The only thing I can think of is perhaps because I am running things digital instead of analog on a CRT. Generals works fine as well as every other game except the disappearings**t on Unreal 2: The Awakening. I even tried the repair option in the control panel as well. Nothing seems to work. I cannot even play against one easy enemy without it lagging and that is even on the lowest detail settings. If I can play FEAR on medium settings I should be able to play this game with all the eye candy on without a lag in sight. I am pretty p**sed off at EA for leaving this on the back burner.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Rob Chen May 30, 2006, 01:52pm EDT Report Abuse
My Friend had the same issue. We replaced the MOBO.. and everything was good.

vs4562f May 30, 2006, 02:08pm EDT Report Abuse
It's the GAME - the SOFTWARE - not your hardware!

God this is the longest thread i've ever seen! It's now longer than the Chrysler Neon vs Honda Integra spat I once saw that ran from around 2002-2005!

Sujay Jayakar Jul 10, 2006, 11:07pm EDT Report Abuse
I have the same problem with Zero Hour, for my system, the problem seems to be with the dual core processor (amd x2 4200+). To fix this, I would recommend a program called launch n set (http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_software/LnS/Index.htm). It completely fixes my problem.

Just thought I would share the solution.

Mick Brouwers Jul 15, 2006, 04:34am EDT Report Abuse
Hello people, i hat the same "Serious Error message", i solved the isue by deleting ( thisspite my saved games and settings ) the complete, in (My documents) "\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data" map! And...... thate works. I hope it works for you to folks. Pittacus

Groet van Broertjuhhh

[url=http://www.broertjuhhh.nl/index.php][img]http://www.broertjuhhh.nl/0%20image/broertjuhhh%20signature.jpg[/img][/url]
Lew brooka Jul 23, 2006, 11:35am EDT Report Abuse
Ermm Hi, I HAVE A PROBLEM PLZ READ :O...Ok hope got ur attention, well my Command & Conquer Generals' Disk has Broke, whilst ZERO HOUR and Generals were both Uninstalled, so i rly want to play Zero hour but i cant i need Generals installed first right?

Ermmm Does any 1 know how to Install zero Hour without having Generals installed? I rly wanna play it but dont want to have to buy a new C&C Generals disk :(

Cheers for help.

Lew.

Joe Schmoe Jul 26, 2006, 03:03pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Interesting problem with Generals AND ZH - and NOT the one that's been discussed
Hi, all!

No, this is not another "Serious Error Message" post. My problem is quite different.

I bought Generals & ZH as separate packages, installed them, and everything played fine. Several months later, after a move, I couldn't find the discs so I went out & bought The First Decade. Also, I've upgraded the RAM in my machine to 1 GB of DDR, with the exact same brand/specs that I've had before, and installed a new videocard - nVidia GeForce 5500, 256MB DDR instead of the old 1st-generation GeForce with 64 MB.

Here's the result: every other game plays perfectly fine, from RA through Renegade. Generals and Zero Hour, though... SON OF A B****!

The video is beyond choppy - the intro animation (spinning EA Games logo) takes literally 10 seconds PER FRAME to run. In other words, the animation sequence that should last ~5 seconds takes the better part of 30 minutes. I'm not kidding. The main menu, when it finally comes up, looks ok, and the game plays somewhat ok, although lags like nobody's business.

What I've tried to resolve this:

1.) According to EA Tech Support, I uninstalled everything, deleted the folders, and reinstalled the game in Safe Mode. Didn't help.
2.) Thinking that the video drivers may be at fault, I downloaded EVERY SINGLE DRIVER from nVidia's archive and tried them, one by one, starting with the first driver that supports the 5500 (version 40-something), and ending with the current ones. Didn't help.
3.) Thanks to a suggestion in one of the previous pages, removed one of the 512MB sticks which forced the memory controller into Single-Channel mode. Didn't help.
4.) Changed screen resolution to 800x600 and started the game. Changed DirectX settings to disable some of the advanced features, trying the game after every change, down to disabling ALL 3D acceleration, at which point it refused to start. Cranked up 3D accel to a level where it actually started, and played around with audio acceleration, from disabling SB Live! advanced settings all the way to saying "f**k it" and pulling it out, letting the onboard soundcard deal with it. Didn't help either.

The only thing that worked so far was removing the video card & plugging in the old 64MB card. But the performance is RIDICULOUSLY slow, even with all graphics effects disabled. Is there any way to get the damn GF5500 to work??? Any suggestions so far? Anyone have a similar problem & had it resolved by changing the videocard to another high-performance card that actually worked? What brand/model?

Or can anyone recommend a military RTS along the same lines? I'm about to give up on Generals altogether.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
nVidia GeForce 5500, 256 MB DDR
AMD Athlon 1900+
Corsair PC3200 DDR SDRAM, 2x 512MB
Hitachi DeskStar 300GB SATA
Windows XP Professional, SP1

Rick Edwards Jul 26, 2006, 03:19pm EDT Report Abuse
This Thread WILL NEVER DIE !! LOL

Simply IT IS THE GAME< there is NOTHING you can do, except deal with the crashes.

BF2 is the standard now

Snake Pliskan Jul 26, 2006, 04:06pm EDT Report Abuse
BF2 is a whole other 29 pages long.Another EA disaster............takes longer to get back on a server than to actually play the game........20 seconds at a time.......

Rick Edwards Jul 26, 2006, 08:07pm EDT Report Abuse
Not for me.
I am using the 1.3 update.

Running AMD 4400x2, SLI 7600GT X2, WD 250X2 Raid 0, with 2 Gigs of Patriot memory, with a 6mip DSL connection.

It takes me less than 15 seconds to log on.

AND even with this system, Gerenals Zero hour still Crashes at times!!!! LOL

Ping Long Tang Aug 07, 2006, 12:16am EDT Report Abuse
Hi, I'm from Singapore. I've also experienced this lagging problem when playing Skirmish using the maps mentioned in this thread. Yes, it is very frustrating.

My System:
Pentium D940 3.2Ghz
Gigabyte Pi945Pro Motherboard
1GB Patriot 667Mhz RAM running Dual-channel
250GB Seagate SataII HDD
XpertVision NVidia 7600GT Sonic Graphics (256MB DDR3 RAM)
Zero Hour patch 1.04

Dear EA, I'm trying to be understanding here. Maybe it's our problem, not your coding problem or developer problem. So, why don't you tell us what kind of supercomputer do I need to play your game without this lagging problem, please? Will IBM's Deep Blue be sufficient (the one that beat World Chess Champion Kasparov) ? Let me know so I can start saving up to truly enjoy my favourite game.

Thank you.

FordGT90Concept Aug 07, 2006, 02:30am EDT Report Abuse
I've gotten the error twice total when playing Zero:Hour on Hard:

Release Crash at Tue Aug 01 02:32:20 2006
; Reason Uncaught Exception in GameEngine::update

Last error:
Exception is access violation
WinMain at 401700
Error code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Description: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Access address:00000020 was read from.

Stack Dump:
<Unknown>(-1) : <Unknown> 0x006FCDCD

Details:
Register dump...
Eip:006FCDCD Esp:0012FA8C Ebp:3FFFFFFF
Eax:00000000 Ebx:0C1FC4B4 Ecx:134A2A5C
Edx:0095BF24 Esi:134A2A5C Edi:0000E0AD
EFlags:00010206
CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0053 GS:002b
EIP bytes dump...

Bytes at CS:EIP (006FCDCD) : 8B 48 20 57 E8 CA B0 FF FF 8B F8 85 FF 75 5C 8B 4E 20 8B 41 44 85 C0 74 1C 8B 0D EC BB A2 00 8B

Release Crash at Tue Aug 01 02:33:04 2006
; Reason Uncaught Exception in GameEngine::update

Last error:
Exception is access violation
WinMain at 401700
Error code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Description: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Access address:00000020 was read from.

Stack Dump:
<Unknown>(-1) : <Unknown> 0x006FCDCD

Details:
Register dump...
Eip:006FCDCD Esp:0012FA8C Ebp:3FFFFFFF
Eax:00000000 Ebx:0C1FC4B4 Ecx:134B7AC4
Edx:0095BF24 Esi:134B7AC4 Edi:0000E0AD
EFlags:00010202
CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0053 GS:002b
EIP bytes dump...

Bytes at CS:EIP (006FCDCD) : 8B 48 20 57 E8 CA B0 FF FF 8B F8 85 FF 75 5C 8B 4E 20 8B 41 44 85 C0 74 1C 8B 0D EC BB A2 00 8B

I'm seriously wondering if this error is coming up when Generals is forced to use virtual memory thus, it wouldn't occur as often with machines running 1 GB or more but, that doesn't explain all of the problems.

My 9800 Pro 128 MB card and X800 XL 256 MB both ran Zero:Hour fine.

wayne large Aug 21, 2006, 07:40pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi mate, sorry to burst ya bubble, but answer is NO!.

It still happens with 2GB of RAM, an ATI x1800 PCIe Graphics card or Nvidia 6600GT even sli'd, an Athlon 4000+ San Diego or a 4800 X2, raided or single hard drives, ide or sata, on board sound, audigy 2ZS and audigy Xfi FPS.

Basically, I've ran this game on all my PC's since it came out from a 2000+ athlon, through a few Pentiums inc an EE and now onto my current systems of the athlon 4000+ and 4800X2's

AND IT STILL CRASHES, IT STILL LAGS AGAINST 7 PC PLAYERS ON HARD ON TWILIGHT FLAME.

The game was coded / programmed by nursury kids, the idea, game play and everything is spot on, I've loved all C+C style games since Dune2 was out many years ago.

I went off them a bit when they released Generals as I had to buy 2 copy's to play against my mates on my spare PC as you have to have disc 1 in, older games u put allies in 1 and NOD in other and played.

Anyway, rants over, back to playin' ZH now.

Gaz Gaz Aug 25, 2006, 10:06am EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

I've got a Geforce Ti4200 & AMD Athlon 2100 XP and my computer kept crashing (locking up, rebooting, blue screening) after the first few seconds of playing C&C Generals. I've managed to fix it, thought I'd share my experience.

Thinking my graphics card was knackered, I downloaded "Video Card Stability Test" (http://freestone-group.com/video-card-stability-test.htm). I was lucky enough(?) that my PC crashed with a few seconds of running the test. First thoughts were that I should get a new graphic card.

But being a bit poor, I tried to get the dust out all the heatsinks/fans on my cpu, graphics, power supply. Still kept crashing.

After spending several hours on the net, I found that it could be the PSU - it cannot support the power for my graphics card. As a PSU is cheaper than a graphics card, I replaced my 350W PSU for a 550W PSU.

Now I can run the stability test as long as I want without it crashing. I've even managed to put my motherboard's BIOS into "turbo" mode. And best of all, I've manage to just play C&C for 2 hours without a single crash!

I expect this solution won't work for everyone, but some people at least...

Eric Concepcion Sep 16, 2006, 06:42am EDT Report Abuse

Mikey K Sep 16, 2006, 09:24am EDT Report Abuse
Wow, is this the longest thread in the world yet?
We should prob find a new EA game that doesnt work to chat about soon,
sure c&c generals seems almost as old as pong now lmao...

Looking forward to 'Supreme Commander' :)

-Mike

Brian Piscitelli Sep 17, 2006, 08:15am EDT Report Abuse
yeah, definetly the longest thread i have ever seen, on 1 TOPIC!!! No doubt that EA fuked up the programming on Generals. Just like they did with Battlefield 2. Well hopefully they dont fuk up CnC 3 Tiberium Wars! I am addicted to Company of Heros, I think it is the best RTS game I have ever played!! (Using the new havoc engine) Try it out.

Suresh Kumar Sep 23, 2006, 04:05am EDT Report Abuse
hi guys delete all the files in temp directory usually in c:\documents and settings\<user>\Local Settings\temp. it will let u play some more time without serious error message.

FordGT90Concept Sep 23, 2006, 06:25am EDT Report Abuse
The errors were few and far between for me and that's after about three times beating both on hard/brutal. Tiberium Sun/Firestorm was the worst of the series for spontaneous crashing.

Snake Pliskan Sep 23, 2006, 08:31am EDT Report Abuse
This thread is so long that everything has come around two maybe three times.The 'delete files in documents' suggestion was made 2 years ago,10,15 pages back........

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.