Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 394 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 08:39am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
vs4562f Sep 23, 2006, 10:15am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
dude have you read every single message?!

:))

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Snake Pliskan Sep 23, 2006, 08:16pm EDT Report Abuse
Actually............."DUDE".............I have.How would I know otherwise?I started when it was at about 10 pages and have been reading it every time I get an email saying someone has replied to this thread.......apparently you haven't.Which makes me wonder ............do you have the game?does it crash for you?why would you not read the thread?how did you find it?(the thread),it's entertaining in some spots................

Brian Piscitelli Sep 23, 2006, 09:34pm EDT Report Abuse
hahahahahahahah, yeah, this thread is out of control. 29 pages of nonsense on the same 1 problem! My first post was in 2004... LOL, 2 frikin yrs ago!! EA just loves to send games out patially coded just to meet their deadlines. And of course the progammers dont care... they are slaves working 16-18 hour days so the executives can fatten their wallets. <Dream> Wouldnt that be cool if EA made Zero Hour using the udated engine from BFME II *Slapped in the face with a stinky dead fish from an EA employee* </Dream> I think there are better odds to win the Lotto. Oh well, the better not f**k up CnC 3. I put their head on poles in the front of EA HQ.

FordGT90Concept Sep 23, 2006, 09:37pm EDT Report Abuse
I think BFME2 used C&C General's RTS engine with some modifications. C&C Tiberium Wars, I think, is supposed to be a brand new engine (might just be renovated though).

Orlando Ferrante Sep 25, 2006, 10:22am EDT Report Abuse
guys...forget about it. I created this thread 3 freakin' years ago and there is no solution. I seen the same suggestions repeated over an over again through out those 3 years. If you plan on posting a suggestion, or "fix" (there really isn't one), at least take the time to READ through the million or so pages that make up this incredibly over-sized thread to make sure it isn't repeated. I've seen my orginal error message posted on here at least 4 times by different people. This thread needs to R.I.P.

ryan adams Oct 03, 2006, 09:18pm EDT Report Abuse
LOL, this is an outrageous thread. I remember seeing this years ago. I was looking for answer to somthing else though. I've never had problems with 2players vs 6 hard bots. Only thing I've had trouble with is trying to edit game so bots gain units twices as fast. Always get mismatch when we try that though. Wish I could have helped you people out but I don't know anyone personally that has ever had this problem.

jake york Oct 26, 2006, 05:02pm EDT Report Abuse

jake york Oct 26, 2006, 05:11pm EDT Report Abuse
I don't know if this will work for anybody else but:
Using the genuine deluxe edition ZH, It would show splash screen on start up and then show serious error.
This happened on me old Northwood 1.6GHz overclocked to 2.1GHz and on my new overclocked 6300 core duo.
The game works fine on my IBM T30 laptop (not overclocked)
When I set the core duo to standard speed the game worked.

PS my overclock has been tested with just about every burnin / stress test software worth using and is rock solid stable.

James Morkins Mar 18, 2007, 09:18pm EDT Report Abuse
Does anyone know if it works in Vista without the error message?

Mikey K Mar 19, 2007, 07:49am EDT Report Abuse
Lmao.. and the thread of doom returns from its sleep, hi guys! cya next year haha

Rick Edwards Mar 20, 2007, 08:00am EDT Report Abuse
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Wow it is Still Alive???

I think Zero hour is like 5 bucks now!

My first post on this issue was in December 2003, it was so long ago I almost forgot my old E-Mail Address!

Umm all I can say is C&C HAS NEVER fixed the Bug, IT IS NOT your computer. I have had this installed on so many other different systems its funny. Right now it is running on a AMD Dual 5000 with SLI Evga 8800 Video cards, and ever so often I still get the error!!!

The On-Line support for this game ws stopped over 2 years ago, and there is NO fix. So lets move on please LOLL

If you want to play the game *Which even after 4 years I still Love it*, you will have to deal with the expected Crash to deksstop, and other internal erros.

Why do you think they NEVER relased ANY other Packs or new versions of Generals?? This was the hottest game out for almost 1 1/2 years!

The reason was beacuse they can not Fix the Engine!!! It was shelved over 3 years ago!@

LOLL

Nice to see the oringal posters again. I bet they will be posting on this till the year 2010 at least. I keep the link alive just for laughs!

Thanks!!

Johny Bravo Mar 25, 2007, 04:18am EDT Report Abuse
Just figure I'd throw my 2 cents and help keep this thread going. But more importantly can someone explain in detail exactly about this installing zero hour without generals? I actually have both installed right now and am really interested in reclaiming that 1.5gigs of space from generals which I don't ever play.

Does it only work for certain people is that what I hear?

doboy millar Mar 30, 2007, 03:13am EDT Report Abuse
dear god! its still goin ha. there is no cure , just let it go man.... let it go

OAKside Mar 31, 2007, 01:41pm EDT Report Abuse
I can verify that there is still no fix. :P

This is awesome, great read for those who can't figure out
why their ZH getting "serious errors", too. The answer:
NOBODY KNOWS and it hasn't been fixed.

EA LA was teh suck, hopefully when I get TW today
they have a new policy of making a game correctly.

Rick Edwards Mar 31, 2007, 08:30pm EDT Report Abuse
Yes I can Simply Explain Installing Zero Hour Without Generals installed. Hmm Simply You CAN'T!
LOL

Nuf Said ;_)

DAN CAVE Mar 31, 2007, 08:48pm EDT Report Abuse
Sorry to be the able to confirm all our worst fears but CNC3 TBW. picks up right from where this thread has got to and looks like could run as a problem as long as this generals one has!

Go to the Links below, then weed them and weep.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/03/29/ea-annou...-conquer-3

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?sls=2&tstart=0&am...p;start=60

It plays fine in campaign but tried tonite to play online and i've got registration/invakid dvd code?

Those f********s at EA have scewed us again!

Keg Killer Apr 04, 2007, 03:08pm EDT Report Abuse
SOME causes and resolutions for the "Serious Error"

#1) "ReleaseCrashInfo" file has in it "Reason Error parsing INI file"
Only seen this when a mod had been installed or are using a mod. You can fix it manually or uninstall/reinstall.

#2) Virtual memory is too low. No matter how much memory you have in your PC, ZH will always want to use some amount of virtual memory. Depending on how much memory your PC has and how many programs you have active and/or loaded in the systray, the amount needed will vary for each user/PC. The replicate this problem, set your virtual memory to none, reboot, try playing ZH and see how far you get. The general rule of thumb is 1.5 times your RAM. I think ZH likes to use 256-512mb's of your virtual memory all by itself. I cannot rule out that a fragmented pagefile will cause the same problem even if it has space left.

#3) This one is harder to replicate/troubleshoot. It has to do with the combination of video drivers, the drivers configuration, the graphics settings in ZH, and your graphics cards ability to stay ahead of the CPU. Again, there is no single setting that will work for everyone but there are things to look for. If you have a Radeon, make sure fast writes is turned off in the BIOS. Have the latest drivers. ZH/Generals only uses D3D, not OpenGL, so make sure your drivrs are not trying to force OpenGL. Verify you have the correct performance mode such as "single display performance mode". Make sure you allow negative LOD since ZH does use this....etc, etc, just check all options. Now in ZH under the options, there is no custom setting for anti-aliasing but you can/should turn this off because of the overhead. To do this, edit the "options.ini", there is a line for it, make sure the value is "0". Make sure you NEVER select "disable dynamic level of detail" unless you have the most uber card. By adjusting the settings for the drivers and the ZH options, you should be able to find a good set of settings if you are using FRAPS to monitor your progress.

#4) This is related to #3 as far as frame rates. If your using FRAPS, you may have noticed that if your frames drops below 10, your chances for the serious error are greatly increased. Whenever your CPU cannot keep the engine runnning fast enough to genereate at least about 2 frames p/sec, it will crash to the serious error. If you have done #3 correctly, your graphics is not the bottleneck anymore, but rather CPU for what your trying to do. I have noticed this type of serious error most on 7 or 8 player and/or large maps. I have found some combinations of generals give me different results, but the only sure fire way to avoid the serious error on this one for me is to never start with 50k. By starting with 10k rather I have found the engine never drops below 10-15 frames and the game always completes.

Another note, if your doing a lot of tunning, you may want to put the "-quickstart" at the end of the command in your shortcut, this will bypass all but the EA logo. There are also ways to get around the EA logo.

Hope this helps someone out there...happy gaming

Keg Killer Apr 06, 2007, 01:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Cause #5 (I forgot to mention)

Trying to load a saved game where you have since changed the speed of your system whether over/under clocking. The game will act like it will load, but when the progress bar reaches 100%, it will just hang, and then crash out to the "Serious Error".

James Morkins Apr 11, 2007, 05:00pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey I'll look into that...but does anyone know if ZH works in Vista without problems?

Keg Killer Apr 13, 2007, 08:26am EDT Report Abuse
I have tested with WinME, Win2k, WinXP, and WinXP-MCE all with same results. It appears the issues are lack of good coding and error trapping on the part of EA, so I would expect Vista to have the same handling of Zero Hour as the others...just an educated guess.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.