Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 569 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 08:53am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
James Chen Apr 15, 2007, 12:42am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
hey there guys...

i was just wondering if my hardware can run generals adequately...
Here are my specs: amd athlon xp 2400+ M
ati radeon igp 320M (radeon 9200) 64mb shared
512mb ram (really just 448mb)
do you think i can run generals? i don't mind running it on the lowest setting. btw if i can run generals, can i run zero hour with this system as well?

thanks

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
James Chen Apr 15, 2007, 12:42am EDT Report Abuse
hey there guys...

i was just wondering if my hardware can run generals adequately...
Here are my specs: amd athlon xp 2400+ M
ati radeon igp 320M (radeon 9200) 64mb shared
512mb ram (really just 448mb)
do you think i can run generals? i don't mind running it on the lowest setting. btw if i can run generals, can i run zero hour with this system as well?

thanks

Rick Edwards Apr 17, 2007, 12:53pm EDT Report Abuse
Of course you can.

That was a spec'd average computer when the game was released about 4 years ago.

You will be fine

Keg Killer Apr 18, 2007, 04:17pm EDT Report Abuse
One more tidbit of info for those of you with Nvidia graphics. If you have decided to make a seperate graphics game profile for ZH and/or Generals so you are not tweaking the global settings, please know this...

Depending on the version of drivers, I know the latestest has this, DO NOT manually create a profile pointed the "generals.exe". There is a profile already setup for all SAGE (Strategy Action Game Engine) based games called "EA strategy game". This points to the game.dat.

Included games for this profile would be:
Generals and Zero Hour
Battle for Middle Earth & variants
C&C3

The same thing goes for if you are using a process manager....point it to "game.dat" and not "generals.exe".

James Morkins May 02, 2007, 11:16pm EDT Report Abuse
Forget it, I have a 2.4 Ghz dual core, 2 gigs of RAM, and an 8800GTX on a 6 player map with only me and one AI, it still crashes. Generals never crashes, but Zero Hour will drive you nuts.

Anssi Hyttinen May 10, 2007, 11:05am EDT Report Abuse
Here is small solution what to do. I got this one from ea-support ages ago.

1. find folder C:\Documents and Settings\your name\My Documents\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data

2. Delete there file called options.ini - (Don't worry it does not harm your game in anyways), it only set your Generals Zero Hour to default settings. You will see when you launch game itself it create there a new options.ini every time you do this.

It does not matter how big power supply you have or how much RAM you got or what kind of videocard you own (least minimum specs). I run my pc with
AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+, 2.0 GHz processor
4 x 512Mb RAM
Leadtek PX 7600 GS, 256Mb PCI-Express videocard
480W Antec Smartpower Supply
MSI K8N Neo4 - FI mainboard
480 Gb Hdd space - SATA (serial ata drives)

Ok, these can run smoothly many games like Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 series easily and newest Tiberian Wars - only occasionally crashes with Mercenaries mod 9.5 with some maps, but Generals Zero Hour is pain in my butt. They never made that game ready and EA games bought that from former Westwood studios and they never do any changes to that, even people buy that C&C The First Decade package.
I belive if someone who owns Crossfire mainboard with all delicatesses with it have same errors you have, it just doesn't matter what kind of specs you have there - its just a bug. I have tried program called Anticrash which might sometimes prevent crashes few times, but in the end it crashes.

Hopefully this explanation helps someone to understand you have there a nice game, which is not ready. :)
Unfortunately I still need a new pc for Crysis when it comes to stores.

Scott Russell Oct 27, 2007, 03:49am EDT Report Abuse
Hi guys,I play Command and Conquer Generals and Zero Hour. I have the same message that you had on every computer I've had. I have a HP with 1GB Ram and 350GB Hard Drive. The overheated hardware must be a bug. If anyone figures out what's wrong please let me know. E-mail me at aries3773@yahoo.com.

dereks omg Apr 28, 2008, 10:47am EDT Report Abuse
This is not a hardware problem. It is about the game engine thingy. It is somewhat 'easily' reproducible, AFAIK
Hard AI all 7 USA - no crash
Hard AI >3 are GLA - confirm crash
Hard AI >3 are China - confirm crash

eg.
1. Single player skirmish top vs bottom: 50% chance crash
player + 3 hard AI on team 1 (4 USA)
vs
4 hard AI on team 4 (2 GLA, 2 China)

2. Single player skirmish top vs bottom: 100% chance crash
vs
4 hard AI on team 4 (4 GLA)

3. Single player skirmish top vs bottom: no crash
vs
4 hard AI on team 4 (4 USA)

Conclusion is, it depends on total unit counts. GLA and China tends to have mass units, esp when AI are China Infantry mixes with GLAs.

Spencer Aug 10, 2008, 07:21pm EDT Report Abuse
As I read this thread I'm intrigue why Zero Hour( Reborn Plus ) crashes to desktop...I encountered the same problem and Im a fanatic of the said Game.
Too make the story short, I tried to open EAsy System Information,open the tab "System requirements) save and print and found out that I don't have Virtual RAM (negative 512mb),and the desired settings according to readme file is atleast 512Mb of Virtual RAM. ( Im running the game at Windows Vista Ultimate ).I customized the Virtual RAM settings to 1000MB to 5000MB and dry run the Zero Hour with Reborn Plus Patch form the very beginning for 4 hours without crashing to desktop and it works fine ( without lag).
I do hope it might help you all and have a nice day...

:D

Matthew Miller Aug 17, 2008, 04:19am EDT Report Abuse
My son got it to run on our Vista machine, but we are having problems playing LAN. It crashes against 4 computer AI.

Spencer Aug 17, 2008, 11:40pm EDT Report Abuse
I haven't tried it in a network connection,Have you seen the EAsy System Requirements...I'm very much disapointed everytime I played it before I increased my virtual memory settings,It might minimized crashing to desktop if you increased more of its virtual memoty settings..

Sindre Sep 05, 2008, 05:15pm EDT Report Abuse
Me and my friends are going to have a LAN this weekend, its so great. Everyone's building up their bases and anticipatement and we are so stoked on carrying out enoromus attacks on eachother, using hours on preperations, and then, suddendly, BAM! The error message.

DAMN YOU EA GAMES, DAMN YOU!!! >:o

This must be the longest thread ever, by the way. And it will never die as long as EA doesen't fix that f**king problem.

Matt Miller Sep 09, 2008, 12:58pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi,
My name is Matt. What I had to do for CnC G:ZH to work on windows vista with a LAN connection was: 1) Make sure all of the files in each of the computers on lan are the same. 2) If you are still having problems then uninstall the game on each of the computers and reinstall them back. After you reinstall them do not get a patch. First try to play with the current patch and see if that works. If it works then get a patch and you are good to go. 3) If you are still having problems, what you need to do is uninstall again and then for
Vista 32x - go to start menu, run, type "regedit"
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- SOFTWARE
- Electronic Arts
- EA Games
- Command and Conquer Generals zero Hour
- Make sure it is not there still, delete it if it is

Vista 64x - go to start menu, run, type "regedit"
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- SOFTWARE
- Wow6432Node
- Electronic Arts
- EA Games
- Command and Conquer Generals zero Hour
- Make sure it is not there still, delete it if it is

If that still doesnt fix your problem email me at MillerMatt@cox.net

Matt

Gulif Hoff Oct 05, 2008, 12:18pm EDT Report Abuse
Alright, I only made an account on hardwareanalisys.com because I used to have those same problems with generals and my Geforce AGP cards and I SOLVED* them.

Here it goes:

Step 1: Download and install this: http://www.synapse.gr/downloads/nv4loopfix.zip (may not be necessary for all mobo's but it won't hurt anyway.)

Step 2: Set the "AGP speed" to 4x, you can do this in your BIOS or download Rivatuner and change the setting there (make sure Rivatuner applies those settings on boot.)

That's it, now all 3D applications should work just fine. Problem SOLVED*!

So what was it in the end?

PSU? Nope: an Antec 380W psu didn't fix the problem with my small, not so power hungry Geforce 6200.

Graphics Card? Nope: still had the same problem with a Geforce 7800GS.

Bad game coding? Nope: the game works fine after I applied steps 1 and 2, actually I have a different mobo and an PCI-E card now and the game ran good on that rig from the start, no tweaking needed.

My theory is that although my graphics card and psu could handle the game, the mobo just wasn't up to the task, I tried with a K7 and a K8 mobo, both made the game crash with AGP set to 8x. Those old mobo's probably can't supply the graphics card with enough juice (AGP 8x uses more power), no matter how big the psu is.
It's like having a straw as a fuel line between a huge gastank and a V12 engine.

Btw: don't listen to people who tell you that anything less than a 600W psu makes your system unstable: I now have an E6300 dual core cpu an 8800gts 512mb graphics card and 2gb of PC6400 ram and it all runs fine on a 450W psu. Just make sure it's a psu from a good brand (Antec, Coolermaster, Corsair, Seasonic and a few others.)
And if you think power is a problem in your rig, and you belong to the majority of people who still have one cd-rom drive and one DVD-RW drive just unplug the cables from the cd-rom drive (it can't do anything the DVD-RW can't do and it saves you 30W of power.)

*If you're wondering why I'm using bold for the word SOLVED, it's because I want people who are having these AGP problems to be able to easily find this post on google, so:

SOLVED C&C GENERALS CRASH NV4

SOLVED COMMAND CONQUER GENERALS CRASH NV4
SOLVED COMMAND & CONQUER GENERALS CRASH NV4

SOLVE AGP CRASH EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
EXCEPTION ACCESS VIOLATION

The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access

WinMain

nigel rizzo Nov 13, 2008, 08:42pm EST Report Abuse
hi. i get this serious error msg when i first start d game and its on d blue screen. i operate on vista and have an ati radeon HD 2600 XT. 2.33Ghz . 2.00gb ram. i installed d patch 1.04 and it got rid of the serious error but now when i start d game it tells me please insert first game cd.. wats the problem now?

please help!!!!!!

Matt Miller Nov 13, 2008, 08:58pm EST Report Abuse
Hello,
For this error message what you do is:
-Right click the game .exe file
-Click properties
-Click the Compatibility tab
-Make sure the check mark next to "Compatibility Mode" is not checked
-Check run as administrator

That fixed my problem if it still doesnt work email me at MillerMatt@cox.net and I will give you some more trouble shooting tips.

Matt:)

nigel rizzo Nov 14, 2008, 06:42am EST Report Abuse
the run as administrator option is not available to check for me.. what should id o?

Matt Miller Nov 15, 2008, 12:12am EST Report Abuse
ok well since it is not at the properties tab, is it an option when you right click the file?
Also, are you running 32x or 64x bit operating system? Are ou running basic, premium or ultimate?

Steve Louth Jan 13, 2009, 04:11pm EST Report Abuse
Hi

I solved this problem eventually (after many of the suggested solutions posted here).
I have an Abit VA-10 motherboard with AWARD BIOS. I altered some settings in the BIOS and now Zero Hour works perfectly (touch wood ;-) )
In the ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES there is an AGP & P2P BRIDGE CONTROL section. In there I enabled both the AGP MASTER 1 WS WRITE and the AGP MASTER 1 WS READ. Everything else was left on the Fail-Safe-Defaults for that section of the BIOS.

And now it all works, no crashes, no lagging. Bizarre!!

My setup for reference:-
Abit VA-10
Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2.08GHz (unclocked)
NVIDIA 7600GS AGP 8x (fanless)
1 GB RAM DDR(133MHz)
Mobo sound (Vinyl AC 97)
350W PSU

Steve Louth Jan 17, 2009, 04:06pm EST Report Abuse
update to my previous post...

The AGP settings that seem to solv my problem have created new ones. Zero Hour works, but Pro Evo Soccer 2009 crashes every half hour or so. I knew it wouldn't be that easy.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.