Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 477 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 02 - 08:18am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>
Bobby Digital Jan 21, 2009, 02:56pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: CNC Generals Zero Hour Crashes to desktop with "serious error message"
So this past weekend I was thinking I would play some C&C Genrals Zero Hour.... but set it up on my stronger rig. Everything was going fine until Zero Hour.. so I'm at work now, google it.. and look what I find.. I thread that is about to hit 6 years on a single topic.

Those two numbnuts who claimed hardware cracked me up.

BTW, My setup for reference:-
A8N32 SLI Deluxe
FX-60 (unclocked) - watercooled running at 30C on idle.
eVGA GTX 260 216 core FTW Edition (unclocked) - never goes above 60C on full load
** heat is not an issue, obviously lol**
3 GB Corsair Ram
Mobo sound (Vinyl AC 97)
Silencer 750W PC Power and Cooling with 60a on the +12 rail

I can max Dead Space, Crysis (and Warhead), The Witcher, UT3, Prince of Persia, Tiberium Wars, (1680x1050) no hickups.
i play older games as well..Age of Empires, HL2 etc.. no problems.. sure a hickup here and there.. but usually on my end =P

but ZERO HOUR, Damn you!!!!

I ran it on an older PC originally with a Pent. 4 & 7800GT.. no problems. But now on my other rig.. problems. Crash after crash. Game crash to be clear.. not system crash.

Anyhow. I read through almost all the posts. and have been copying and pasting different things onto a word doc. to try when I get home. Anything sure fire yet? Or is it still case by case for what works and what does not?

I know its buggy software. that is clear..

i like the Install both, then unistall Genrals solution.. but isnt that going to conflict with online play .. I dunno.. lol. 6 year thread, hundreds of posts.. no help from EA.

WOW!

Gonna mess with it tonight.. i'll let you guys know if anything worked. If not its back to Team Fotress 2 & Left 4 Dead

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Bobby Digital Jan 23, 2009, 12:42pm EST Report Abuse
Installed Generals and Zero Hour on different partitions. Patched Generals to 1.08, and Zero Hour to 1.04. Works like a charm. No crashing anymore. Sheesh

Except.. there seems to be a frame rate cap at about 30fps.

Anyone know how to alleviate that?

Papa Gaspare Feb 22, 2009, 04:05pm EST Report Abuse

Papa Gaspare Feb 22, 2009, 04:14pm EST Report Abuse
I've absolutely had it with EA Games.

Have 20+ emails from them to try this and that, and none of my ea games work for more than a few minutes before locking my system up. They are the ONLY games that do so.

Never had this problem before I went quad core processors, and I've got top of the line (and probably over the top) power supplies, video card, loads of fast memory, etc. and as a result they tell me I have to:

1. Run the game using the command line function
2. Use only one processor stream
3. Update my already "up to date" drivers
4. Run as administrator

and many other "fixes" that simply don't work. They obviously don't know, or don't
care about a fix. In fact some of the fixes themselves lock up my system before the game
actually loads!

Games affected: Need for speed (4 versions) C&C Generals, Zero Hour, Kane. Tiger Woods 2005, 2008.

I'm willing to try most things, except keep replacing hardware which is some of the fixes
that they suggested that also didn't work!

Thanks!

Don

con nifadopoulos May 27, 2009, 08:29am EDT Report Abuse
Has anyone been able to fix it

I'm running Windows XP pro

1.8 ghz
MSI - 7267
my sound card is : Realtek 5.10

would appreciate any help guys

Bobby Digital May 27, 2009, 12:00pm EDT Report Abuse
I found the fix. Uninstall both... then install each on different partitions Worked like a charm

Example. Install Generals on C drive, and Zero Hour on D drive. It works... as weid as it may be

I fixed this a while ago.. i thought I posted the fix but I guess not.

Bobby Digital May 27, 2009, 12:00pm EDT Report Abuse
I found the fix. Uninstall both... then install each on different partitions Worked like a charm

Example. Install Generals on C drive, and Zero Hour on D drive. It works... as weid as it may be

Bobby Digital May 27, 2009, 12:02pm EDT Report Abuse
******Installed Generals and Zero Hour on different partitions. Patched Generals to 1.08, and Zero Hour to 1.04. Works like a charm. No crashing anymore. Sheesh******

rahim khosravian Jun 02, 2009, 01:30pm EDT Report Abuse
ALL OF UR WRONG IF UR USING VISTA AND U GET THIS MESSAGE JUST RIGHT CLICK CRACK AND PROPERTIES AND COMPATABILITY TAB AND RUN THIS GAM IN COMPATABILITY FOR WINDOWS XP SP2 AND RUN AS ADMINSTRATOR

Bobby Digital Jun 02, 2009, 01:34pm EDT Report Abuse
Don't listen to the above poster.. their assuming some of us have illegal copies.. some of us have a legit copy and the method is different.. plus.. some of us here are also using XP.

**above poster is a moron** disregard

rahim khosravian Jun 02, 2009, 01:37pm EDT Report Abuse
ur wrong i used to get this message to but hat and it worked.
i just registered to help you with that its your wish you can listen and do it if you want im not forcing anyone

boga so Jun 04, 2009, 03:48am EDT Report Abuse
wow! old topic... but hey! need help i have the same problem :D

boga so Jun 04, 2009, 03:51am EDT Report Abuse
@Bobby Digital

Am gonna try your solution! and we'll see what happens!!

bill theman Jun 22, 2009, 08:05pm EDT Report Abuse
The serious error is caused by excessive use of memory brought on by multiple memory leaks. The program uses massive amounts of data that has to be temporarily stored on your systems hard drive under a virtual address (page filed) after your system runs out of ram. As more data is being added to the game they are stored as virtual memory. This memory is connected to a physical address on your harddrive. Now it appears that when the information is read from the data that has been page filed it runs into an exception error (Exception is access violation). It sounds like the code that has been written to handle the memory was not designed to read from a physical location. Most likely because the game has memory leaks and uses more memory then anticipated forcing windows to page file the information to keep the program alive.

The only solution to this problem that i can see on the consumers end is by purchasing a 64-bit os and running massive amounts of ram (8gb+) and disabling the pagefiling. Then stomp the comps as quickly as possible before you run out of ram. Or solution number two. Throw the damn thing out Ea will never fix this game. It is not worth there time there is no money in it.

Paladin Sep 19, 2009, 03:25am EDT Report Abuse
Bobby Digital said:

thank god i read this post....i thought it was hopeless and was giving up with it. then i tried this and it worked. I was actually kinda surprised it does though. O_o

genesis cortezano Dec 17, 2009, 06:15am EST Report Abuse
hello.
i know this game is old, but its my kind of game.
please help me fix my problem.
wish you fixed yours in the past.
i have the same problem, before the game starts, there is an error.
and i checked my computer devices.

and the sound card and sound driver is blank,
i think that is my problem
can you tell me were can i download those?.
my computer specs are
- - - -
intel dual core
emaxxtech motherboard
- - - -
please help me.
sorry for my bad english.
and thank you

Bobby Digital Dec 17, 2009, 11:43am EST Report Abuse
haha.. crazy it does.. but it does and that is all that matters. I cant believe this thread is still alive hahaha

Bobby Digital Dec 17, 2009, 11:45am EST Report Abuse

<a class= Dec 17, 2009, 02:10pm EST Report Abuse
Wow this thread is old. Initiated Nov 13, 2003 :O

Bobby Digital Dec 17, 2009, 06:45pm EST Report Abuse

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.