Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1737 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 03 - 08:33pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 09:19am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
I had some silly problems with these boards, and some were solved by reseating the processor (a pain when you use a Volcano 9 fan).

Also I found that a good power supply is far more preferable than a cheap one. The 300 Watt Supply is just as effective as a wet paper bag. Buy a reputable brand with a known pedigree.

AND more importantly, I have found the need to update the BIOS on even the new boards to 1.06. This cures most of the ailments.

On the whole I have found these boards to be great value, and have seen few if any of the problems discussed here. I have seen the black screens and heard the many beeps - reseat processor. I have seen the complete lack of startup activity - fit a known reliable Power Supply Unit. And I have seen an XP1800+ cause some real problems for no apparent reason - fixed by installing an XP1900+ .

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 09:20am EST Report Abuse
I had some silly problems with these boards, and some were solved by reseating the processor (a pain when you use a Volcano 9 fan).

Also I found that a good power supply is far more preferable than a cheap one. The 300 Watt Supply is just as effective as a wet paper bag. Buy a reputable brand with a known pedigree.

AND more importantly, I have found the need to update the BIOS on even the new boards to 1.06. This cures most of the ailments.

On the whole I have found these boards to be great value, and have seen few if any of the problems discussed here. I have seen the black screens and heard the many beeps - reseat processor. I have seen the complete lack of startup activity - fit a known reliable Power Supply Unit. And I have seen an XP1800+ cause some real problems for no apparent reason - fixed by installing an XP1900+ .

Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 09:20am EST Report Abuse

Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 09:21am EST Report Abuse

J-M Vella Jan 22, 2003, 09:44am EST Report Abuse

What is your source for bios upgrade to 1.06, please.

Nilsen Jan 22, 2003, 10:15am EST Report Abuse
Hello, Norway calling!

I'm having all the problems as all the other people here. But I've also having problem with the BIOS that goes like this:

Boots up directly into BIOS with following message

Chassis intruder, or tempered before.

I'm allowed click OK at this message, and do what ever in BIOS. Pressing F10 and Y for save. Boots up AND right back in BIOS with the same message.

Please, help me, PLEASE!

Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 06:47pm EST Report Abuse
OOPS!, Sorry about the excitement, I meant 1.05 - 1.06 is reserved exclusively (at present) for my own Aopen MB.

OOPS!, Sorry about the excitement, I meant 1.05 - 1.06 is reserved exclusively (at present) for my own Aopen MB.

Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 06:48pm EST Report Abuse

Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 06:48pm EST Report Abuse

patrick durbin Jan 27, 2003, 06:54pm EST Report Abuse
I got this board from newegg.com for 72 bucks
Im only 17 but have been building computers since
I was 11 I woudnt have got this baord if i would have know about the problems. You said the drivers for the cd was bad.

Could you put a link for the drivers I would
need to run this board with win98se.
20 gb maxtor hd. 61 bucks
256 mb 2100 ddr. 36 bucks. 2.5 v http://www.augustech.com
xp2000+ retail 85 bucks
ernemax case with 350 power supply.
Also IF i mess up flashing the bios wil it screw my board
im using onboard sound and video.

patrick durbin Jan 27, 2003, 06:57pm EST Report Abuse
www.augustustech.com sorry about that

Milt Jan 27, 2003, 07:22pm EST Report Abuse
Patrick, there's nothing wrong with the drivers on the CD, to my knowledge.
What's the problem??? You mention none.

A 'badflash' can corrupt your BIOS chip.
That's worst-case scenario.
The Asus Update utility on the CD makes flashing an update so easy, you'll be amazed... I was!
But, unless something is not working properly, why risk a 'badflash'? For what?

patrick durbin Jan 27, 2003, 11:18pm EST Report Abuse
i had heard in a review that i had read i must have gotten it mixed up with
this current page that the cd wasn't up to date thats shipped with the board i got it here but im still building my computer as i get the money.
i have no way of testing it untill all my parts get in . I like programming so the video card dosent mean anything to me. I was just wondering does the board work good with win98se. I kinda regretting i bought it ive been building computers since i was little but that was for other people. all 500 mhz and below this is my first real nice computer attempt hopefully. Do you think i should get xp? And is augustustech a good dealer.

Jason Zaal Jan 27, 2003, 11:31pm EST Report Abuse
I am also having very similar problems with this motherboard.

My current config is a7n266-vm with an AP2000+ cpu and 2 x 256ddr (266mhz,cl2.5,pc2100) ram.

Primarily when booting up I kept getting the blue halt screen with messages like PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and others. This also persisted after I formatted and tried a fresh install, very annoying and not good for hair loss.

Anyway I have removed 1 of my memory chips and the system is running a little but more bitter but not overly. It still reboots when I try to start nero at the screen that says "scanning scsi/ide bus", some games, just very annoying.

I have tried stripping the system down to the bare minimum and still not great changes.

Can someone tell me what my jumper settings/freqs should be for this board with the XP2000+ cpu please? And if they have had similar problems?

I brought this motherboard/memory/cpu & case as a package, the psu's model is LC-B300ATX if that is of any help and I also have CDRW, DVD, ZIP, 80gig HDD, Case cooling fans and a tv tuner card but as I said I did strip back to the bare minimum with little change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
thepond@austarnet.com.au

J-M Vella Jan 27, 2003, 11:46pm EST Report Abuse
Processors in the 1GHZ range are too fast for Win 98SE out of the box. The problem is when one shuts down the processor turns the power off before the configuration updates and other cached material is written to the harddrive. There is a fix for it on the Microsoft site. One needs to install Windows then get the updates before running at 1GHz or faster.

I guess one could slow the processor down until the fix has been applied. I just put the harddrive in a slower system to get to that point, then move it over to the faster one. (Actually, I did that once then booted up in safe mode and deleted the configuration and then backed up the system to a CD in DOS mode. I restored the CD to the fast system harddrive. That gave me a backup reference in case I have to re-install in the future (an experience we often have with Win98).

andrias kosasih Feb 02, 2003, 11:07pm EST Report Abuse
Could anyone sum up the solutions?

My brand new A7N266-VM won't boot up at all. No boots, no beeps, no screen, no nothing.

So what exactly is the correct CPU and DRAM jumper settings? Any other solutions to this no boot problems?

it is equipped with WD 40GB, Crucial PC2100 256MB, LG CDR/DVD, Athlon XP 1700 XP+

thanks!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.