Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1509 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 03 - 07:52pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
ivandaman Feb 05, 2003, 02:31pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM

i got the same problem with mine at first everything was fine after bout a week or so when im playn warcraft it reboots all of a sudden...... dont know wat to do please help me.... my system is a AXP+2000 same motherboard a7n66vm 256ddr ram geforce4 mmx440 .. i jus got my computer like 1 1/2 ago its really annoying me so please help out b4 i
replace it!!! oh and i have a pci sound card.... i also have disabled the onboard video and sound .... so please help

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
mark wallace Feb 05, 2003, 03:35pm EST Report Abuse
Is your card running in PCI mode? iF YOU ARE USING WIN98 take the cd that came with the MB and follow the drivier instructions. With me there were 3 item in the system that were using microsoft drivers instead of the nvidia 103 drivers. When I installed the right drivers the system became stable, but still has some issues.

What OS are you running?

ivandaman Feb 06, 2003, 12:54pm EST Report Abuse

yes im in pci ... thanks for the reply .. my os is xp
so wat else should i do ??? i followd almost all the details they gave in this thread ... please help THANKS!!

ivandaman Feb 06, 2003, 12:55pm EST Report Abuse

yes im in pci ... thanks for the reply .. my os is xp
so wat else should i do ??? i followd almost all the details they gave in this thread ... please help THANKS!!

mark wallace Feb 06, 2003, 01:24pm EST Report Abuse
The most important at the moment is the

nVidia Nforce AGP to PCI bridge. <---major!!!!

In Win98 it is under my computer, properties, system devices.

Other system devices that use nvidia drivers are;

Nforce 220 memory controller
Nforce220/415/420 memory controller

If you don't have the CD that came with the MB try Nvidias web site that's where you can get the most current drivers.

Mark

Gareth Warren Feb 06, 2003, 02:55pm EST Report Abuse
To J-M Vella

Do you know where I can find the patch for Win98 for running processors faster than a gig?

Milt Feb 06, 2003, 06:21pm EST Report Abuse
Gareth,
There's no patch necessary, to the best of my knowledge.

I'm running a dual-boot Win98/WinXP with no problems other than having to load ALL the Win98 drivers manually.

Did you ever get any clarification on that other matter about these VM's???????????

J-M Vella Feb 06, 2003, 06:45pm EST Report Abuse
Click Start/Windows Update

This takes you to the Windows Update site.

I think you have to install an update tool from windows before it can find the fixes you need. Then I think you have to install some critical fixes before it will show you the fix for fast CPUs.

I've tried going to the site to get the exact fix name or number for you, but since I've installed the fix, I can't find it that way. Wish I could be more specific on the exact fix, but you'll recognize it by the text when it is displayed.

Without this fix it can drive you crazy because configuration files and drivers get corrupted and the next time you boot up almost anything can happen. Also, I've seen FAT's messed up, etc. And it only happens on machines that shut down too fast.

Perhaps a simple fix is to disable auto power-off. I never thought to try that. Sometimes when I'm frantic trying to fix a problem, I don''t think of the simplest solution.

patrick durbin Feb 06, 2003, 10:09pm EST Report Abuse

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WUCritic...efault.asp

The Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package provides a workaround to a recently identified issue with computers that have the combination of Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) hard disk drives with large caches and newer/faster processors. Computers with this combination may risk losing data if the hard disk shuts down before it can preserve the data in its cache

Patrick Durbin aka Pathacker 3d

Gareth Warren Feb 07, 2003, 04:57am EST Report Abuse
Milt,

No word yet on the other problem, but we think we may have over reacted, could just be that Asus has two factories, and that batch was just dodgy, no word yet. We have returned the faulty motherboards to the supplier.

When you say install the drivers manually, do you mean updating drivers through device manager, then selecting the location of the driver files or is it more complicated than that,

I am still having Blue screen on boot problems intermittently which are the same code everytime, I believe it refers to memory, I have installed BIOS 1.05 on all of them.

Gareth Warren Feb 07, 2003, 06:36am EST Report Abuse
Although this may shed some light on the recent spate of problems:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/29222.html

Here is an extract:

Has your motherboard been playing up lately? If you bought a new mobo or new PC in 2002, it could contain a cowboy part which has caused its failure, or will do so in the future.

guilty component, a humble aluminum electrolytic capacitor. But this is not your everyday cock-up, oh no, but the fault of a "a mistake in the stolen formulation of the electrolyte in a capacitor".

"According to the source, a scientist stole the formula for an electrolyte from his employer in Japan and began using it himself at the Chinese branch of a Taiwanese electrolyte manufacturer. He or his colleagues then sold the formula to an electrolyte maker in Taiwan, which began producing it for Taiwanese and possibly other capacitor firms. Unfortunately, the formula as sold was incomplete."

"So far, the only motherboard maker to admit to the problem is ABIT Computer Corp. (Taipei), and the only major PC maker to acknowledge being affected is IBM Corp. But the problem is likely to be more widespread. Indeed, those who have repaired the damaged boards say that they have encountered crippled motherboards from Micro-Star International, ASUSTek Computer, Gigabyte Technology, and others. "

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/29222.html

ivandaman Feb 07, 2003, 10:14am EST Report Abuse

to mark,

hey thanks for the reply .... im running xp and yes i have the cd
that it comes with it so il have to explore other options is there
anything else that i should look into cos i already have downloaded
the bios 1.05 and reinstalled my drivers that came from the nvidia
website... the nfoce drivers ... so wat else can i look into ?? how bout
hardware?? i cant quite understand it cos the system works and the
"REBOOTS" comes in random and the temperature is 49C dats not bad right?? wat else hmmm......... everythings workin except when u jus
play games .... i always leave my system on overnight it doesnt reboot
so the problem is ...... i dont know yet anyone with fresh ideas will
be gladly appreciated so much thank u !!!

mark wallace Feb 07, 2003, 10:55am EST Report Abuse
When we last left our hero.

#1 are you still in PCI mode?

You may need to install the AGP to PCI bridge again. Until you are uot of PCI mode on your AGP card OR on the onboard chipset, it will reboot during Direct 3D applications.

It is a good thing you have the CD, but you failed to metion if you tried to RE-INSTALL the drivers. If you are out of PCI mode, and are still rebooting I dunno what to tell ya.

Mark

ivandaman Feb 07, 2003, 12:24pm EST Report Abuse

ok thanks mark... yes i had them all reinstalled and i think im out pci
mode cos i disabled the onboard video card and reinstalled the new agp
card on the pci so is that correct??? im not sure yet if its fixed its still under observation .. u know cos the random reboots cant be predicted so
THANKS and il keep u posted .... do you have the same mobo??
same problems??

mark wallace Feb 07, 2003, 03:58pm EST Report Abuse
PCI Mode.

You will be in PCI mode until you install the drivers. This will be with the onboard video AND the card. Inserting the card WILL NOT matter if you don'y have the correct drivers installed.

Don't be lazy LOOK for heavans sake. It seems as if you are GUESSING about most of this.

Yes I have the same MB running win98.

I too thought I had installed the correct drivers but I was wrong. Untill you LOOK and are SURE you are out of PCI mode you will continue to reboot at random. Even after the drivers were installed I have crashed once, but it is a night and day difference.

Look in your system devices, and if you see nVidia AGP host to PCI bridge toPCI bridge installed then you should be OK.

Mark

PS the bad formula story sounds like urban legend, but you never know.

ivandaman Feb 07, 2003, 04:37pm EST Report Abuse

sorry bout dat... yah i had the correct driver installed and IM SURE
now ... im really lazy cos i dont have much time with my pc cos
i have a full time job... but il observe it on the weekends... thanks man

oh yeah i forgot the reason why i cant look at it right away cos
im typing this message in the office.... awryt gudnyt and thanks
im going home.. im gonna check if its in agp host pcibridge to
pcibridge....

mark wallace Feb 07, 2003, 04:49pm EST Report Abuse
I hope your not an English teacher.

LOL

Keep us posted.

Mark Celebrating 39 years today? <--onthe planet that is

Milt Feb 07, 2003, 05:12pm EST Report Abuse
I hope you're not an English teacher either, Mark!

ROFLMFAO!

Milt

Milt Feb 07, 2003, 05:15pm EST Report Abuse
Oh! I forgot... Happy Birthday, and many more!

I celebrate my 60th year on Sunday, the 9th.

Henry Walsh Feb 08, 2003, 06:55pm EST Report Abuse
Well I popped out the processor and popped it back in and the f***in thing booted! Reseating the processor did it, but I have no idea why.
So I wonder if I'm gonna have to do this periodically?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Now let's see if I can get the drive formatted and XP installed.

John

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.