Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1649 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 03 - 08:45pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Jim Beckert Oct 31, 2002, 05:19pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
Found a guide for the Asus A7V266-E series at this location.

http://www.paradigm-computers.co.uk/bench/a7v266-e.html

Could come in handy. Some other advice to check on.

Check to make sure none of your standoff's are put in wrong and are interfering with a circut on your motherboard. Mine is acting up and I am in the same boat. Still trying to find more info about this situation.

Asus A7V333 Mobo
OS Win XP PRO Bios Ver. 1014.02 beta
Athlon 2100 XP boxed set locked
Kingmax (2 x 256) PC2700
Pine 16x dvd-rom
ATI All in Wonder 32mb
Antec SX480 530 watt power supply
2 Sunon fans in 2 Antec Fans out 80mm

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Filthy McNasty Nov 01, 2002, 08:26pm EST Report Abuse
OK. I had the same problem. I assembled everything and got nothing on startup. Arggggghhhh!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to having a few computers in the house I found this page. I am using a 200 FSB Athlon 1400 and a PC2100 256MB DDR. I have the top jumper set on 1 2 and the bottom jumper set on 2 3. I am installing XP as I'm writing this. It seems OK. Good luck to everyone.

Nathan Baer Nov 05, 2002, 11:45pm EST Report Abuse
I have always trusted Asus boards but this one should have never been released. I was trying to build a budget system for a friend so of course this is about the cheapest board on the market right now. The CPU:DRAM jumper setting of the manual are messed up. From what i can tell you can get a 100 Mhz CPU bus:133 Mhz DRAM with the settings BSEL0 at 1-2 and BSEL1 at 1-2 or 133 Mhz CPU bus:100 Mhz DRAM with the settings BSEL0 at 2-3 and BSEL1 at 1-2. The system does not post at any other settings so I can not get any synchronous bus settings of either 133:133 or 100:100. I also love the CMOS clear jumper that only exist in the manual, not on board. Did anyone else try to run the Win XP installation with this board. I could not get it to complete, but the Win 98 SE Installation had no trouble at all. I tried calling tech support a few times but never got through. I am ready to send the board back.

Mike Wilcox Nov 06, 2002, 12:51am EST Report Abuse
I posted my ordeal above. A fresh installed of Windows XP worked great. Although check my above post. I am using an XP1900 CPU using the setting that the board came with - which is 133:133 - just ignore what the manual says as the jumper drawing is wrong.

I agree that either the board was not ready for release, or else they should fix the damn manual. I think the problem is that it is so cheap.

ken koleda Nov 10, 2002, 11:01pm EST Report Abuse
I have a non-boot situation with this board.

I could not get it to post. Eventually swapped in different ram and that worked. once. Then old ram worked once.

It starts then stops in like 4 secs.
Tried clearing cmos, various jumpter seetings (there aren't many options).

Then it apepared it was a power problem. it seemed to run longer with cd, and hard drive disconnected. treid two other power supplies. Neither worked, though one was older and I think less amps. but all three still allegedly amd approved and the one was working in a gigabyte system.

I am on the vege of sending back. The dig decision is do I try another one or switch to a different board?

Justin Huot Nov 11, 2002, 12:22pm EST Report Abuse
>> The rebboot problem is this::::
the harddrive has to be set as cable select, i don't know why, but once done everything works fine! hope this helps.

ps: after its up and running what you expect from this board is what it gives! nothing more, remember its a board under 100, so don;t expect top preformance!!!!! (if using onboard sound and video)

J-M Vella Nov 11, 2002, 12:57pm EST Report Abuse
I appreciate the information posted here. It is a sad commentary that ASUS has not responded, apparently, to the problems mentioned. There are no notes on its site regarding these problems or potential solutions. And apparently this has gone on since June.

I thought I'd share my experience so far, to benefit others.

I acquired an A7N266-VM two weeks ago. I got it as a cheap alternative to check out a failed system by swapping mother boards, and didn't expect much of it. However, when I checked the AMD site, I found that it was one of the recommended boards, along with some other good boards, and also that some good ones were missing (I have an A7V8X).

However, there were two entries, and the difference between the two was the BIOS level. And there was a skip between them (1.03 and 1.05) See (very slow site) http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_182_869_4348^4378|115_3_XP,00.html

Perhaps some are having a BIOS level problem. Surfing AMD's site, a lot of problems relate to the level of BIOS.

The CD that came with mine was defective, and didn't contain some of the drivers. I immediately shot off a note to ASUS (over two weeks ago) and have received no response. However, I found the drivers elsewhere in the meantime.

I first put an Athlon 1 GHz chip in the A7N266-VM and left the jumpers alone. It has worked fine.

I tried an XP2000 + and encountered the same problem as others - it shut down almost instantly. I put the cpu in another system, and though it ran, it was clear it was defective (bad cache), so I returned it. I'm going to try the new chip when I get the thermal compound to do it.

A thought that struck me reading the previous notes is that some settings might not work for certain combinations of frequency and multiplier, and no one seemed to mention it. My XP2000+ has an actual cycle of 1667 or 133 x 12.5. At 100 x something, it comes out a less handy multiplier. I've seen the point five type multipliers, but can't say I've seen the others. Just a thought.

I intend to check the BIOS level and to upgrade if necessary, then retry the XP2000+. I'll post the results.

BTW, AMD indicates that the power supply is not a big issue as long as it has enough beef to handle all the equipment.

ken koleda Nov 11, 2002, 10:03pm EST Report Abuse
>> ASUS A7N266-VM non-boot solved?
THANKS FOR THE HELP!

I had the booting problem were it would shut off after four secs, no posting...

I can't say it was "cable select' but it does appear to have something to do with the hard drive jumper settings. The hard drive came out of another system so I did not look at the settings. I put the hard drive and CD on different channels so I figured they would be okay whether slave or master or whatever.

It is an older hard drvie 7.5GB wD. It appears not to ave a cable select option. At first the jumper looks like it's in a storage position... but it was one pin over positioned horizontally. Now, maybe this was not really doing anything, but when I removed it altogether, it boots!

I did have to clear the cmos. In there some were. I also wonder if the 'soft off' is affecting it. There is a setting about if you hold the power for four secs that will be soft-off (hibernate?). I note that when I am trying to start it and it dies at foru ses or so, the natural tendency is to hold the switch... probably long than four secs. Maybe some flawed logic in there has it thinking you want it to go tohibernate(?) total speculation here.

I am not totally sure I am out of the woods on this one though.
I will post if something more comes out other thant he hard drive jumper.

Thanks

Ken

J-M Vella Nov 12, 2002, 02:58am EST Report Abuse
Well, the plot thickens. I moved a working A7N266-VM motherboard and system that working fine into another case. I moved everything exactly as it had been, excepting for the IDE cable from motherboard to HDD.

Then when I booted up I got a Windows protection error. Could go no further. It was absolutely repeatable.

Recognizing the only difference was the cable (and of course the power supply and case connectors, I put to former cable on. The problem persisted.

Also, in the setup, BIOS now reports the processor is 900 MHz, whereas it is 1000 MHz. Before this move, it was being reported correctly. BIOS level is 1.03, which the AMD site says is supported. The latest level BIOS at the ASUS download site is 1.04. The only other level supported at the AMD site is 1.05! Do I dare upgrade to 1.04? How does one get 1.05 from an unresponsive ASUS?

BTW, I noticed, in the process of replacing the cable, that the labels on the motherboard are wrong and misleading. The secondary IDE connector is labeled IDE1 and the primary IDE connector is labeled IDE2. Also, in front of the primary IDE it says both "Primary IDE" and "Secondary IDE".

Have any of you considered the possibility that you simply have a defective board? I'm beginning to suspect that.

It seems clear that ASUS isn't going to support this board.

Vinh Nguyen Nov 12, 2002, 10:32am EST Report Abuse
>> HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM MOTHERBOARD TECHNICAL ISSUES
Well 1st, here's my setup...
A7N266-VM MOTHERBOARD
AMD ATHLON 1800 XP Processor
256 SAMSUNG UN-BUFFERED DDR PC2100 non-ecc ram

Wells, first when I bought the motherboard, I had resetted the jumpers of the cpu to all 133 mhz according to the manual but it didnt seem to work. All I kept getting was long repeated beeps indicating that something was wrong with the ram. Then I resetted the CMOS by taking out the battery, that didnt work either. So, I tried some 256 DDR PC2100 non-ecc un-buffered NAYNA ram, but it didnt work either. Then I tested all the ram on a working P4 system; all of the ram worked just fine. Now I thought it was hopeless. I thought maybe I have got a bad motherboard/product, but then I thought, I have two of the A7N266-VM MOTHERBOARD, and both motherboards didnt work with the setup. So I have just read the postings (about how the manual is wrong!) and thus, I set all cpu jumpers (near the AGP slot) to the left and resetted the CMOS, but I am still getting long beeps. Nothing boots up. I have a black screen and the motherboard beeps repeatedly. Can anyone help me or provide me with some information and technical support?!?!?!?!

Vinh Nguyen Nov 12, 2002, 10:32am EST Report Abuse
>> HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM MOTHERBOARD TECHNICAL ISSUES
Well 1st, here's my setup...
A7N266-VM MOTHERBOARD
AMD ATHLON 1800 XP Processor
256 SAMSUNG UN-BUFFERED DDR PC2100 non-ecc ram

Wells, first when I bought the motherboard, I had resetted the jumpers of the cpu to all 133 mhz according to the manual but it didnt seem to work. All I kept getting was long repeated beeps indicating that something was wrong with the ram. Then I resetted the CMOS by taking out the battery, that didnt work either. So, I tried some 256 DDR PC2100 non-ecc un-buffered NAYNA ram, but it didnt work either. Then I tested all the ram on a working P4 system; all of the ram worked just fine. Now I thought it was hopeless. I thought maybe I have got a bad motherboard/product, but then I thought, I have two of the A7N266-VM MOTHERBOARD, and both motherboards didnt work with the setup. So I have just read the postings (about how the manual is wrong!) and thus, I set all cpu jumpers (near the AGP slot) to the left and resetted the CMOS, but I am still getting long beeps. Nothing boots up. I have a black screen and the motherboard beeps repeatedly. Can anyone help me or provide me with some information and technical support?!?!?!?!

ken koleda Nov 12, 2002, 06:02pm EST Report Abuse
Mine seemed to be the jumper on the HD.

Problem now is that it only recognizes the CDROM about every other boot.

On one of the boots I tried to install XP. It tells me some error like "no emulation", then skips that to boot from HD.

Someone mentioned 'cable select' The systems I've seen that use that have special cables with the 0 drive (master?) haveing a certain wire not continue. therefore the physical cable determines salve or master as I understand it.

The only system I've seen that uses this is Compaq. Could it be that this board was designed fo rsystem integrators and somehow the cable select is the prefered or default of the bios?

My bios is 1.04. I am planning to flash to 1.05. I have a few days to RMA it if needed.

I will revisit the jumper situation...

J-M Vella Nov 15, 2002, 04:30pm EST Report Abuse
I solved the problem I was having simply and effectively, and thought I'd share my experience.

After trying this and that and having mixed and strange results, I concluded the motherboard was defective. So I returned it to the dealer under the warranty. The dealer gave me a replacement without the slightest hassle. I took in my cpu, memory, and fan. We installed them at the front counter and tested the system. It seemed fine.

I took it home and put it in the case and completed the build. I has worked just fine, and all the former problems were gone.

A few observations. This thread of 23 unique correspondents, only 7 of which made more than one entry, that spanned from June 13 to mid-November is hardly any indication of some very serious design or manufacturing problem. There's no denying the documentation errors, and annoyances, but it is neither fatal nor that unusual. There's also no denying the lack of Asus support in online fax or response to e-mail. I'm sure there have been more defective boards put into the hands of buyers than have been reported here. And one needs to consider that the board is simply defective, as turned out to be the case with mine. And when that happens, the warranty deals with it, and all the technical response in the world will make a defective board work.

I hade many conversations with IBM engineers who said that IBM circuits were so good that when something went wrong, they never suspected the IBM components. Therefore, those few times that it truly was the IBM component, it was very hard debugging. That may be the case here - too much confidence in Asus quality and overlooking a fairly obvious solution.

I'll get off the soap box, but I hope it may help someone who needs to consider a fairly obvious question when things don't seem to be working to specifications rather than investing a lot of time and effort with trial-and-error.

Finally, I'll report that the replacement board did have the jumpers in the correct default position. The clerk told me that there is a correction page in the newest shipment that explains the documentation error. The board I got was version 1.03 and BIOS was 1004 level. I don't know the version of the defective board I returned, but know the BIOS was 1003 level.

Good luck to any having problems with the AVN266-VM. For those who simply have a defective board, I hope this post will save you some time and effort.

ken koleda Nov 15, 2002, 11:43pm EST Report Abuse
Well, the solution dealing with the hard drive jumper seems to be it.

I now have windows XP on the system and it has been running for about two days cranking on seti to keep the cpu hot. I have rebooted a numebr of times with no problems, inlcuding the cd being recognized. My 'emulation' error listed befroe I think had to do with some ez-bios installed on the older western digital hard drive. One just has to press a key during that bios message to boot from cdrom.

Downloaded drivers from asus and they all installed without a hitch.
Tested lan and audio, seems okay so far.

I wonder how many people had some kind of hard drive jumper issue and returned boards that really weren't defective? Quirky, fickle true. People have said the board is fussy about power supply or RAM. Is it possible that it is mostly this one problem where it is quirky with hard dirves, and maybe depends on bios level so drive later works fine in another board of some model number?

Anyway, I am keeping this one, but due to quirkieness, if I had returned it, I would have got a different brand. Who knows what else would be quirky.

If you think it's memory, try disconnting all drives, clear cmos and see what happens.

Nick Jones Nov 17, 2002, 01:49am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM - Is CPU Damaged
I have the same problem as all of you. No post, startup screens and system only stays on for 5 seconds. My question is: because of the error in the manaul with the FSB\DRAM Freq. jumpers, i statrted my system up (for the very first time) with the factory default jumper settings (beliving this was set at 133\133). If i had the wrong fsb settings, would this have stuffed my CPU????? i have tried changing these jumper settings and still no post or anything. The cpu fan comes on but switches off after 5 secs. I think the A7N266-VM may have stuffed my FRIENDS brand new XP1800+. Thanks ASUS for the accuarte manual and for maybee stuffing the CPU.

So.. have i stuffed my CPU????

ASUS A7N266-VM
Athlon XP 1800+
256MB PC2100 DDR

n wil Nov 17, 2002, 03:50am EST Report Abuse
take out the battery and then put it back in...this may help

n wil Nov 17, 2002, 03:54am EST Report Abuse
i also found with this board that if you dont install the dolby digital drivers ,3d games run well(quake/wolfenstein etc) mysystem would bluescreen with the driver installed. i spent many hours working this out.

Mike Wilcox Nov 22, 2002, 02:44pm EST Report Abuse
This board is junk. If you can, I recommend returning this board and getting your money back. I have recently discovered (after 2 weeks of fighting with this board) that sound from my Audigy sound card cuts in and out when playing DVDs. The only way I can get sound to work right, is to use the lame onboard sound. Motherboards should not give this kind of trouble, and as cheap as it was, I don't expect Asus to spend money fixing it. This is a throway board as far as I can tell. I just emailed this to Arstechnica, because I wouldn't have wasted my money if it wasn't for their advise. I am buying a new board next week.

"I usually go by your guides, but made the mistake of following this one:

http://arstechnica.com/guide/system/budget.html

I would appreciate it if you would stop recommending the near worthless Asus A7N266-VM motherboard, or else warn that users of Audigy sound cards will not be able to use it.

I posted this in your review section:

I am A+ and CCNA certified and have been working as a Systems Administrator for nearly 4 years. I regret buying this board and listening to Arstechnica's review. First of all, the manual that ships with the board is wrong regarding the jumper settings for the clock multiplier causing headaches to everyone who has used the board and posted on online forums.

I am unable to use my Audigy sound card without sound skipping in and out during DVD and game movie playback. My GeForce3 card will not work with Detonator drivers without horrible fps. I can get my GeForce card to work with the lame nForce drivers, but my Audigy sound card won't work - so I'm forced to use the lame onboard sound.

This is junk, and only marginally useful in a business computer."

Jason Roberts Nov 24, 2002, 10:39pm EST Report Abuse
I had the no post screen problem.
I didn't get beeps, or anything. The fans just spun up and that was it. I even striped it down to just CPU, RAM and power. Nothing....

I got the manual update for the incorrect jumper settings, still nothing.. The CPU worked in my other box, the ram worked in my other box, everything worked except this board.

Then I had a blinding flash, I tried a different powersupply and bingo it worked. I know what you are thinking, the fool had an under-rated or incorrect type. But no I had brought a power supply esp for that MB.
The wierd thing is the power supply that the au7n266 would not power up on would power up my other asus mb the was running a XP2000... so go figure....

I have found a fair few of my other friends who have this board had the same problems. (once the jumper setting where corrected).
This board just seems to be very picky with is power... Sucks.

Now it runs rock solid, and is the budget mb I wanted it to be...

Hope this helps...

Cheers
Jason

Milt Dec 01, 2002, 06:44am EST Report Abuse
@Jason
I'm glad you got your problem sorted.

I'm a happy camper!
My Asus A7N266-VM booted right up, first try. I'm on a dual-boot Win98 & XP.
Had trouble getting the 5.1 sound installed in Win 98, but got it worked out. (install it in safe mode)

I did the 'solder mod' to the JEN jumper on the board and now I have FSB's from 133 to 181 available in 2 ~ 3 MHz steps. No multiplier adjustment though...
Currently running my modded Athlon XP1600+ at 9.5x 168 for 1598MHz.

And Jason, I'm running this on a 145 watt (TOTAL watt, not TCO) Enhance PSU! I don't believe it either.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.