Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1542 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 03 - 07:52pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
craig stein Mar 13, 2003, 12:55pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
90 F i assume, cause if you are running 90 C you are in trouble :)

i don't mean repairing windows. I mean format c: and load windows from scratch

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
mark wallace Mar 13, 2003, 02:28pm EST Report Abuse
Format C: is good, but partition information may be damaged too. I would do a good old FDISK, or even a low level format

moloy da Mar 14, 2003, 02:44am EST Report Abuse
i am from india,
Alas guys, i am facing the same and all sort of problems with my asus MB @1900+ xp, os 2k pro or xp,256 ddr pc2100. talked very seriously with the dealer/distributor their techies and they just changed my mo til date twice since sept 09,2002 and facing the same with the last one. i am going to sending this page contents to asus and my vendor for a serious rethinking.
i am just a serious tecno hobby who assembled pcs for friends.
till date facing problems for this particular asus MB after trying all the help from all you thankfully provided here, can any one provide me some sort of solve which will be thankfully read.
have nice time.

a b Mar 14, 2003, 05:16am EST Report Abuse

craig stein Mar 14, 2003, 09:40am EST Report Abuse
no, thats not a bad temp at all. past 55 C is when it starts to be bad

moloy da Mar 14, 2003, 04:21pm EST Report Abuse
dear guys,
earlier my posting regarding asus a7n266vm is follows:
in my opinion this one can accomodate maximum upto amd athlon xp 1800+

anything beyond that is givig serious trouble, apart from the fatal

fact that this particular motherboard definitely a problem.

i tried to install on this board,and failed to run anything other tthan

the infamous FATAL ERROR screen:

amd athlon xp 1900+
2 128MB pc2100 hynnix chipset DDRSDRAM,
1 80GB Seagate barracuda HDD @7200rpm (claimed),
1 internal 56k d-link modem,
1 sony 40x12x48x CDRW,
1 sony FDD,
17 inch. LG flat monitor,
a decent 350 watt PSU proved to run and test other amd xps' and intel

P4s',
os varied from windows ME to 2k pro to xp.
BSEL set to left twos (agp slot down)

still not succesfull to run with amd athlon xp 1900+ on this asus

a7n266vm motherboard, changing the processor to xp1800+ just worked

fine and successfully, and downgrading from 1800+ to 1700+ and so on

troublefree like "all said and done" type.

BUT ONE THING IS SURE THISONE IS VERY VERY PROBLEMATIC ONE, because of

the nature of the price tag. and none should try this if like to play

games like unreal or so @ high requirement.

my next project is just advising my friends for whom i assembled their

cpu with this motherboard to change at the earliest.

thanks guys for your valued queries and responses, other than which i

may involved in a troubled situation with my frieds whom respect too.

THANKS YOU ALL AGAIN.

Bruce Foster Mar 14, 2003, 05:06pm EST Report Abuse
Okay time to step back. We all keep saying A7N266-VM, the most recent BIOS posted is 1005. The Bios for the A7N266-VM/AA is 1004 just since I don't get enough grief I put the 1005 in the VM/AA and it went wonky, back to 1004 it's fine.

Milt Mar 14, 2003, 05:48pm EST Report Abuse
>> BIOS for ASUS A7N266-VM vs. the ASUS A7N266-VM/AA
Thanks for that info Bruce! Thats's important info!

Since the BIOSes are NOT interchangable, then there must be some fairly major hardware change between the two revisions... the rev1.03 that I have, and the AA that you do.

Anybody have clue as to what that change might be???

craig stein Mar 14, 2003, 07:09pm EST Report Abuse
the asus guy said that all the AA part meant was that the board was AMD Assured

Milt Mar 14, 2003, 07:28pm EST Report Abuse
>> BIOS for ASUS A7N266-VM vs. the ASUS A7N266-VM/AA
Thanks for that Craig, but there HAD to be some physical change made to the AA board, or the 1005 BIOS would have worked on the AA version mobo.

Bruce Foster Mar 14, 2003, 07:30pm EST Report Abuse
First did the Asus guy set up the two different download boards?
and from
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8014
some of the problem
and this lovely note about buy an extra BIOS or you can't return it
http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_...products_id=866

Bruce Foster Mar 14, 2003, 07:33pm EST Report Abuse

Milt Mar 14, 2003, 08:09pm EST Report Abuse
>> nForce'2' vs, nForce'1'
Bruce,... all your links and info are refering to the nForce'2' chipset, NOT the nForce (or NForce'1' I guess you could call it) that's used on our VM's

That's a whole DIFFERENT can of worms!

Bruce Foster Mar 14, 2003, 08:48pm EST Report Abuse
Milt
I guess what I'm wondering is did they create 1005 because similar problems are in our nforce1 (I like that)

Milt Mar 14, 2003, 09:15pm EST Report Abuse
>>  ASUS A7N266-VM
Bruce, no, I don't think so.

I just DLed the AM104NVM.AWD bios, and although the release date on the website is the same, the names, and the file extensions, of the above and the 1004vm.bin or the 1005vm.bin that I'm currently using on my rev1.03 are obviously different.

After doing the 'solder mod' I have run my rev1.03 mobo as high as 181FSB, which is all the VM can do, without ANY problems.
And that was with a DURON, fercristsakes.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/oscarsok/CPU_122wDURON1300at8x181.JPG

Lane White Mar 16, 2003, 04:52pm EST Report Abuse
I have the same board and have had the same problem with the system shutting down after 4 seconds. I'm running an Athlon 1700+ XP and 512 megs Crucial PC 2100 DDR. The strange thing about it is that this setup worked fine when I first put it together. The only problem I had with it at first is that the Northbridge chip (containing the onboard video) tended to overheat when I was running graphics intense programs (Winamp Visuals, EA games, etc.) so I decided to put a heatsink+ fan on the board to replace the small heatsink that was on it. I pulled the board and removed the heatsink easily enough, and replaced it with a Lantec video card HS+F. I put it all back together, tried to boot it, and got the shutdown after about 4 seconds. I did all this in my father-in-law's lab. After about 2 hours of moving things around trying to get it to boot, I gave up and brought the system back to my lab. When I got it back here, it was even worse. The system didn't even act like it had power. It was completely dead except for the LED on the MB. I tried pulling everything off except the processor, hoping to get an error code or something, but it never even got to POST. I tried a known good PS from my wife's comp and got the same thing, so I tried my PS on my wife's comp and it worked fine. I tried pulling the new fan off the northbridge chip thinking it might be shorting something...still didn't help. Finally I pulled the CMOS battery and left it out while I tried to find help online with my wife's computer. I never found any help so I decided to give it one more try. I put everything back together (including the replacement fan on the northbridge) and it actually powered up and worked fine. This all happened about 3 days ago and the system has been running stable since. The only thing I can figure is that maybe one of the capacitors on the board was storing enough voltage to keep the CMOS powered after I pulled the battery. I really don't have a clue what happened.

For the record...the manual IS wrong on the CPU/DRAM frequency settings. The top jumper (BSEL0) is for the memory. The bottom one (BSEL1) is for the processor. Both jumpers set to the back of the board makes it 133:133. I don't know how to set it for any other configuration as this is what my system uses, but I do know that the manual says 133:133 should be both jumpers to the FRONT of the board. My board was set to 133:133 when I got it, which is the default setting for this board. I also noticed that IDE 1 and 2 are marked backwards on the board, and that even though the manual shows a clear CMOS jumper, it doesn't exist. All in all, the board does it's job. However, Asus seriously messed up on the manual and/or the design of the board. I really hope this was a 1 time thing because I've been an Asus fan for a long time and I don't want to see them get this bad. I would expect this from a Chaintec or Shuttle board, not from Asus.

Milt Mar 17, 2003, 05:22am EST Report Abuse
>> Clearing CMOS on the A7N266-VM
To Lane White,
Possibly, all that was really needed was a 'clear CMOS', but because there is no actual 'junper', just two 'solder points' it's difficult to do ( a flat-blade screwdiver does the job!)

A trick I've learned is to leave the CMOS battery completely out of the board.
As long as the board uses an ATX type power supply, (the VM does) and remains plugged in, and the PSU switch is 'ON', then you will NEVER lose your CMOS settings.

Then, when you actually NEED to 'clear CMOS', for whatever reason, simply unplug the PSU for about 1 minute.
Then you will get that "CMOS battery Low", "Press F1 to load Defaults or DEL to enter SETUP" message that you SHOULD after ANY 'clear CMOS' routine.
No need to mess with that flat-blade screwdiver!

And, just for the record, the manual IS correct, IF AND ONLY IF, you READ it, rather than just look at the illustration and IGNORE the way they have the pins numbered (it's 3-2-1 NOT 1-2-3)

Anirudh Acharya Mar 17, 2003, 08:53am EST Report Abuse
>> ASUS nForce A7N266-VM - Random Blackouts
ASUS nForce A7N266-VM - Random Blackouts

Hi, everyone. New here.

I am facing random blackout on ASUS A7N266-VM without LAN based on nForce 220D chipset with Athlon XP 1700+ (Green T-Bred 11 x 133), Elixir 256 MB PC2100 DDR266 (133 DDR) CL2.5 RAM & onboard AGP (32MB RAM shared) with SBLive Value Digital & onboard sound also enabled. The PSU is Codegen 400W with 210W on +3.3 & +5V lines. Both the HS/F & PSU are AMD recommended.

The blackouts are unpredictable. When it occurs, the LED on the monitor becomes orange (like when it enters suspend/standby mode). The blackout may or may not be accompanied with contineous beeps. It may occur on starting the machine for the first time or rebooting. It may also occur when I am working in Windows XP Pro or Windows ME.

I have tried putting the ram in either of the two slots, reinstating the ATX power connector on mobo, reconnecting all cables, but to no avail. The problem disappears when I power down the machine when the problem has occurred and switch it on after about a minute. But the machine works just rock solid otherwise. No fatal errors in WinME, no lockups while running games or multimedia apps, no BSODs in WinXP, there are absolutely no errors otherwise.

Temps:
Idle - CPU: 39C , MB/case: 34C
Full Load - CPU: 44C , MB/case: 39C

Completely clueless. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

@Milt

Hi, Milt or should I say Sir Milt! as you are 60 & I have just turned 18. I am the same anirudhra from the PCCHIPS forum with the dead M810LR. There were serious probs with the board running Duron 1.1 (Morgan). I just traded them both with A7N266-VM & TBred B Athlon XP 1700+.

Please also see my post about attaching fan on the nForce nothbridge. I saw the pic u attached in on of the posts. Please elaborate the process (pics accompanying would be nice).

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/5774/

Regards,

Anirudh

Milt Mar 17, 2003, 04:51pm EST Report Abuse
>> Out of the frying pan and into the Fire, eh??
Anirudh, so you gave up on the old M810, and PCChips, and 'the Lottery', and now we meet again!

You've made a good choice IMHO.

Re: your seeminly random blackouts... only two things I can think of ATM
1: Try pulling the SBLive Value Digital... these cards have caused some problems on other mobos, and personally I don't understand why you don't use JUST the on-board 6-channel sound?

2: Drivers... in Device Manager>System Devices>do you show a "NVIDEA nForce AGP Host to PCI bridge", and a "NVIDEA nForce PCI System Management"???

3: I know, I know, I said only two, but that was before...
What stepping is your green XP 1700+ T-bred?
WCPUID will give you the Family, Model, and Stepping code.
6-6-2 = Palomino (no probs with these)
6-8-0 = T-bred 'A' (SeemsTo be okay)
6-8-1 = T-bred 'B' (this is the one causing all the probs)

I'm thinking that possibly the problems that others are experiencing with the 1700+ & 1800+ T-bred 'B's on the K7SOM / K7SOM+ M810 and M841 mobos is beginning to show up on the nForce mobos as well.

Do you have any other proc, even a lowly Duron that you could swap into there to see if the blackouts continue?

And Hey! thanks for the Knighthood! it is appreciated

joe jones Mar 18, 2003, 08:39pm EST Report Abuse
Hi heres my story with an a7n266-vm

I have just tried to setup a new m/b (a7n266-vm), 128Mb pc2100, + duron 1.33 proc,

Its my first attempt, well i put everything together and set both the cpu jumper and ram jumper both to 100MHz.

Hit the power and the system posted perfectly so i went into the Bios changed the time etc.. then plugged in the hard drive, windows 98 SE loaded up fine and detected all the things. I thought wow this is all too easy . So i then plugged in the Cd-rom to the sencondary IDE and BAM. The comp died, screen went black and started giving me a low piched then high pitched beeps( bit like an ambulance). Theres nothing in the manual regarding these beeps. So i unplugged the Cd-rom , hard- drive and put the power back on and absolutely nothing no screen, beeps, etc.. This is really weird.

I could really do with some ideas, the only obvious thing seems the cpu? Maybe overheated but how could that be?

I have also reset the Bios by taking out the battery etc.. with no luck

To top it all off ive just gone and broken the bottom of the cpu socket whilst trying to take of the haetsink......

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.