Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1597 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 03 - 08:22pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Jutley Mar 20, 2003, 11:23am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
I am getting the same funky beeps high pitched then low pitched, although mine have been from the very beginning. I am an experienced tech and have never had a problem like this. I read through all of these post in hope that I would find a solution, but I've already tried everything listed. HELP!

Jutley

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Rick Williams Mar 20, 2003, 09:45pm EST Report Abuse
Anybody....please help.

I have a ASUS A7N266-VM/AA motherboard with 256 RAM, 30 GIG Maxtor 7200, 400W PSU, CDRW, Floppy...just the basics. I have built many ASUS platform systems in the past, but this is my first A7N266-VM.
When I load XP pro, it goes to the blue screen with this stop notice:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFA2C3640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Tested All other components (CD, Floppy, Ram..etc) in a working computer...all check out. I just received a second brand new A7N266-VM in the mail today, swapped MB's still the same problem.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Milt Mar 20, 2003, 10:08pm EST Report Abuse
Rick Williams,

Can you guess which component you are using, that hasn't been tested in another confuser? I can. The case. You've got a short to the metal stand-offs.

Rick Williams Mar 20, 2003, 10:25pm EST Report Abuse
Milt,

I took your advice and just isolated the MB outside the case....same results.

Keep the suggestions coming....I'll try anything at this point.

Thanks.

Rick

Rick Williams Mar 20, 2003, 10:46pm EST Report Abuse
Milt or anyone,

It worked! I took the MB out of the case, did a fresh install of XP Pro, and it worked. The case must have a short!!!!!!

Now any suggestions on how to isolate my MB and still use the case?

Rick

Milt Mar 20, 2003, 10:58pm EST Report Abuse
Glad it was that easy to identify your prob.

You might get away with plastic insulating washers, but plastic stand-offs are the best.

Anirudh Acharya Mar 23, 2003, 03:15am EST Report Abuse
Hi, sorry for the late replies.

I removed all components and am running only on the onboard peripherals. I am now getting the same kind of STOP errors as the guy above in WinXP and WinME shows the famous 0028:Address blue screen. I formatted the C: (where WinME is installed) and reloaded WinME. Same errors during setup. Changed the 256 MB to a 128 MB stick. Seems OK now. Setup completed successfully. Am playing games right now & have been testing for the last 24hours. No errors till now in WinME. But can't be sure about the problem being RAM related. Anyway I will keep you experts updated.

Meanwhile, Milt, in one of your previous posts you had suggested someone to put a fan on Northbridge? Can u explain the whole procedure (pics would be nice). I have 80mm, 40mm & 30mm fans, but the fins on the heatsink are too apart and no screw can hold the fan onto it? How do I attach the fan then? Any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks.

Anirudh Acharya Mar 23, 2003, 03:28am EST Report Abuse
I forgot to tell u that I am in AGP mode in WinME and also have:
AGP host to PCI bridge
PCI system management in device manager.

Please don't forget the article on putting a fan.

Milt Mar 23, 2003, 04:27am EST Report Abuse
>> Low-Tech Northbridge Fan
Anirudh Acharya,
Sorry to disappoint, but I used the 50mm fan from a cheap K6 HS/F
I attached it using a couple thin stips of that grey, cloth-backed, very sticky tape that's often called 'duct tape'

Nothin' fancy, dirt cheap, but where that stock heatsink used to feel really hot, it's now fairly cool to the touch.

What is a good method of REMOVING that Northbridge HS??? Seems to be stuck on there pretty good.

I've also added a small, passive HS, to the southbridge

You should have a 'NVIDEA nForce AGP host to PCI bridge' and a 'NVIDEA nForcePCI system management' in device manager.
At least I do in WinXP

Anirudh Acharya Mar 23, 2003, 06:47am EST Report Abuse
Yes, I have the mentioned enteries in device manager with nVidia prefix.

By duct tape do u mean double sided tape?

also have you tried putting some isopropyl alcohol or acetone between the hs and northbridge thru a dropper and then popping the hs off with a pen knife?

secondly, do u know where can i find separate driver packages for nvidia nforce agp, sound, ide etc. (ie have separate files instead of one big file). I am on a dial-up hence I am asking this.

I am still using my sblive value because of eax, audiohq and surround mixer. i can control a variety of functions thru it. no such program is available for nforce mcp-d. i would really like to have bass, treble and equilizer for the on board audio and also eax settings. do u know where can i find such a prog for nforce?

lastly, please upload a closeup pic (of somewhat medium to good resolution) of your northbridge with fan, so that i can also exactly attach the fan as u did, by looking at the pic.

Thanks.

craig stein Mar 23, 2003, 10:50am EST Report Abuse
actually the driver package from nVidia has a very nice audio control program called SoundStorm with which you can control bass, treble and the equalizer as well as all the dolby options

Anirudh Acharya Mar 24, 2003, 02:28am EST Report Abuse
Where can I download only the audio drivers with the SoundStorm application? I don't want to download the whole 25 mb package from nvidia.com as I am on a dial-up. Can you direct me to any site that separately offers downloading the audio apps?

Also, I am using 4 analog speakers. Will I get full control over Bass, Treble, Rear Speaker Setup, Equalizer, EAX configuration and SoundFont config using the bundled application (SoundStorm)? Please give me the link. Thanks for the reply.

Also I came across 2 recent articles on x-bit labs' site. One tells about the choosing the right TBred AXP CPU for overclocking while other is a decoder for the nos. printed on the CPU. Thought you might like it.

1) How to Choose the Best AMD Athlon XP Thoroughbred for Overclocking
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20030322034857.html

2) Your AMD Athlon XP Processor May Really Be Faster Than You Think it Is.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20030319192135.html

Bruce Foster Mar 24, 2003, 07:40pm EST Report Abuse
@ Anirudh Acharya
Go to http://www.springfantasy.com/nforce/
I put the Audio drivers and Sound Storm stuff up there from the expanded pack. I don't know if that's all you'll need. It's still quite large, let me know when you've downloaded it my wife will probably want the space back if she finds out ;-)

Anirudh Acharya Mar 25, 2003, 01:23am EST Report Abuse
thanks a bunch for uploading the drivers.

but, i haven't been able to download the driver. the download manager says, file not found. have u already taken off the driver files?

Bruce Foster Mar 25, 2003, 01:45am EST Report Abuse
My HTML skills are sorely lacking, working on it now.

Alpha Num3r1c Mar 25, 2003, 02:36am EST Report Abuse
I just put together a box using the A7N266-VM BIOS rev 1.05, an Athlon XP 1700, and a 512 PC2100 DIMM, using a 300W PS.

I had the "no power" problem initially, tried reseating the RAM and the CPU. Unplugged everything. Still not working. I was getting the LED on the board itself, and about 1/4 revolution on one of the case fans. Nothing else.

It turns out that I was being lazy. Rather than pull the tray and line up all the little paper washers, I mounted it with the tray in the case and the board was shorting out in the case.

Now it's not seeing my HD or CD-ROM, but I think I will split them apart on seperate IDE cables and see if that helps. This wouldn't be the first time I have had a board get fussy about that.

Bruce Foster Mar 25, 2003, 03:12am EST Report Abuse
@ Anirudh
Okay just http://www.springfantasy.com
Then go to the bottom of the page.
And I don't ask for directions when I drive. ;-)

Anirudh Acharya Mar 25, 2003, 05:11am EST Report Abuse
Thanks very much for uploading the audio driver & utility. I very much appreciate that.

Its nice to see people helping you out in times of trouble.

But, I still can't download anything from your site.

Meanwhile, I found the link to drivers for nForce2 on MSI's site which will work with your nForce and is without Detonator, thus reducing the size to about 12MB for the whole package. Currently downloading that.

I suppose it is newer than the one on nVidia's site.

Thanks again for all the trouble you took.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_list.php

(Look under nForce2 System driver section)

Also, it seems I had RAM problems. Replaced my 256MB with another from a new lot. Seems OK for me. I am suprised that memtest86 didn't show any errors on my old RAM.

Bruce Foster Mar 25, 2003, 07:30am EST Report Abuse
You know sometimes I take things for granted. I use GetRight, have for 5 years. It picks up the files. Can you let me know what was happening so the next time I can get it right?

Thanxs,
Bruce

joe jones Mar 25, 2003, 01:16pm EST Report Abuse
Well guys and gals,

I just bought a new a7n266-vm board , i posted my above problems a few posts ago, and guess what the system works 100% perfectly, and it also flies !

So dont give up on this board !, you just have to be ultra careful wth things like static electricity etc...

I must have screwed the first board by shorting something out.

Its definately well worth the time. I took extreme caution with this board, ie. no socks working on a wooden floor, wrist strap, to aviod static elec..

jumpers are set both to 100MHz but heres the strange bit my Cpu now reads 1300MHz which it is, but with the first board when i set both to 100MHz i got a cpu in post of 9.8GHz or so. dunno , im just totally pleased that the thing works..

Good luck !!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.