Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1369 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 03 - 09:00pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Dave werwrwerwrwrwerw Jun 01, 2003, 09:23pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
Hi Folks,

I have a problem with my motherboard. I can't get any audio from it at all. There seems to be no drivers at all on the CD nor the Asus website. I'm using Win95SE. AOL7. AthlonXP2000+, 256MB DDR PC2100 SD RAM (it says 'ere)

the computer seems to hang a lot and the Moden cuts out frequently if asked to do anything that is graphics in tensive.

Also, does this board support USB 2.0? The advert on the website April 28th said it did but seems to have been changed.

All help will break loose!!

Cheers Chaps!!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dave werwrwerwrwrwerw Jun 01, 2003, 09:27pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM (Correction from previous post...)
Sorry everyone,
That should have read Win98SE and not 95SE... but I suppose you got that anyway, being the bright, switched-on and over-clocked bla..bla..bla.!!

All the best

Dave

Jay Goldberg Jun 01, 2003, 09:31pm EDT Report Abuse
Regarding USB, I believe I read that it doesn't have 2.0, although right now all I care about is getting the thing to work! ;p

Well Asustek's tech support is open monday so hopefully ill give them a call then.

In the meantime, anyone know why the case fan would turn on for about 2 seconds when I start the computer, then shut off? and why the CPU fan isn't spinning at all? (Note: the CPU fan spun for about a second one time earlier so it does work, but i haven't gotten it to move since)

joe jones Jun 01, 2003, 10:34pm EDT Report Abuse
@DAve Revelle

You need to download the drivers package from http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp choose platforn/nforce drivers:unified drivers: win 9x ME : donwload then install they have the latest audio drivers amongst other drivers.

@Jay Goldberg

Well it must be one of these 4 things.

1) Your power connector from the power supply isnt in right or is damaged, if its a cheap power supply have a look inside the connector bit that plugs into the m/b the metal sockets can sometimes get twisted and hence not make a proper connection. Also make 100% sure its properly seating into the m/b. You can also take a multi-meter and check the voltges from your PSU.

2) Either Your Ram or CPU is busted. But this would usually gives you beeps.(so pretty unlikely)

3) You''ve Shorted the m/b on the case and screwed it. (sounds the most likely)

4) You have a faulty m/b. (very possible)

Also you could try both the 100:100 and 133:133 jumper settings , see if that works.

What i would do is RMA it say it was DOA ask for a refund you will probably only get a replacement tho, buy another board at the same time, cause it will propably take a few weeks to get it RMA'ed, and sell the replacement on eBay when you get it back.

Short of getting an oscilloscope and testing the waveforms at hunderds of differnt places on the board theres nothing you can do to diagnose whats wrong with it if it doesnnt fire up when you put in the parts.

Jay Goldberg Jun 01, 2003, 10:41pm EDT Report Abuse
Thank you, I'll try all those later, and then call tech support, and then if it still doesn't work I'll send it back for another one... I don't think I want to eBay it, because I like the features it has, perhaps I just got a bad one

a2j freak Jun 02, 2003, 03:52am EDT Report Abuse
I've looked around but did not see all the available FSB settings for this mobo. Also, what are the VCore settings?

I'd like to use this board as a rather inexpensive folding rig, but if it doesn't allow for decent FSB speeds (160MHz or higher) and allow me to pick my multiplier then it won't be of much use to me.

Can someone tell me the different FSBs this board supports?
Any mods I would need to make?
What VCore it supports?
What multipliers it allows in the BIOS or Jumpers?

Thanks

joe jones Jun 02, 2003, 05:28am EDT Report Abuse
you need to mod the board to get the FSB settings. There a wire bridge just down from the FSB/memory jumpers that has to be cut or soldered out. You then have to join 2 points tongther as on the a7n266-e, c boards etc...

Its all explained above.

Jay Goldberg Jun 02, 2003, 04:24pm EDT Report Abuse
Well, I tried everything, couldn't get it to work. So I thought maybe it was the power supply...I plugged the main power connector from my other computer into the A7N266 and it worked!! Both power supplies are rated 350W so I think the one I had was just a bad ps... its a Raidmax 350W that came with the case, and the one that worked was a 350W Maxtop ps that came with its case... heh its funny that I tried about a zillion little things with the mobo and it turns out its the ps thats defective.

I'll try to get a new ps and ill report back if the mobo works.

David Marshall Jun 03, 2003, 02:12pm EDT Report Abuse
Great thread. I have had next to no problems with my board with Athlon 18800+ and 256Mb DDR.
Some comments and a question.
Instead of stand-offs I used small diameter copper pipe and bolts. Obviously having non-conductive stand-offs are a red herring but I do have lots of clearance from the mb backside to case. (I put it in an old XT case, but that's another story). The reason anti-static bags are well... anti-static is because they are electrically conductive so I don't think using them to shield the board is a good idea.

My question/problem: I'm running Windows 98 (ver. 4.10.1998 plain old 98 - not SE or ME) and cannot get a clean load of the audio and network drivers. Manual directions do not exectly match CD supplied. Anyone get this to work properly??

Dave in Peterborough

joe jones Jun 03, 2003, 03:38pm EDT Report Abuse
You need to download the drivers package from http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp choose platforn/nforce drivers:unified drivers: win 9x ME : donwload then install they have the latest audio drivers amongst other drivers.

David Marshall Jun 03, 2003, 04:59pm EDT Report Abuse
thanks joe and I had done that and ran the installer but my Device Manager still shows the NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller out of whack (NDIS.vxd and NTKERN.vxd loaders couldn't load driver) and two other audio devices not working.
Are you running 98 succesfully then?
Dave.

Dave werwrwerwrwrwerw Jun 03, 2003, 05:34pm EDT Report Abuse
Aha! Yes it's one of those moments... My computer runs brilliantly and I've installed the AUDIO DRIVERS. There are TWO issues here.
1, For win98/SE/ME etc., they (the drivers) need to be installed manually.
2, They're not where you think they are.

The relevant setup.exe is in C:\drivers\chipset\Nvidia\Win98 (once copied over from the motherboard CD)

The Manual seems to be a bit odd as, at one point, it refered me to page 70 but it only goes up to page 56.

Dave werwrwerwrwrwerw Jun 03, 2003, 05:44pm EDT Report Abuse
aaaand another thing..

The supplier of the computer stated in the add on their website under a sort of "Today's Bargains" that the motherboard supported USB 2.0 when in fact it doesn't, can't and never will. The are, however (after pointing out this transgression of consumer law) sending me a USB2.0 card. for FREE!!

So, is it easy to have this card up and running and how do I check that it's not USB 1.1 that I'm looking at?? Hmmm...

Dave

joe jones Jun 04, 2003, 05:37pm EDT Report Abuse
@David marshall.

yeah all works fine. Come to think of it i do remember having problems like this at the start. I cant remember how i cured it, maybe a reinstall of windows 98.

You proabaly installed the CD drivers first then the nvida 2.03(or whatever verision their at now) this must cause some probs. You could try and and remove as many drivers as you can from device manager then try and with the downloaded ones.

try and install the drivers manually as well this might work.

Israr Aslam Jun 05, 2003, 08:31am EDT Report Abuse
Hi guys & gals..

I have the same board as the rest of you and Havent really had much problems. I am running XP on it, although I would recommend installing drivers manually from the cd provider rather then running the program on the cd. I have my system running and its good, but I have a 1 problem with it, and that is it takes over a minute to bootup. Can somebody help. I have Athlon XP2000 processor running at 1667mhz, 256 ddr ram.

The guys who have there boards working have any of you guys timed your board to see how long it takes to boot?

Milt Jun 05, 2003, 06:47pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Israr Aslam
I suspect that your on-board LAN is searching for a suitable network connection, and not finding it.

If you are not using the LAN, try setting it to 'Disable' in CMOS Setup.

Mine, also running WinXP, boots to desktop in 20 ~ 30 seconds, although I've never timed it. It's fast!

joe jones Jun 05, 2003, 07:06pm EDT Report Abuse
I used to have the long booting problem.

i think this was what fixed it for me. Boot up in safe mode go to device manager see if you have more than one one of the same drivers installed if so remove them.

im pretty sure it some kind of driver problem anyway , was a while back now but i do remember going from long boots to now when it seem to boot up in about 15 secs.

David Marshall Jun 05, 2003, 09:25pm EDT Report Abuse
I seemed to have fixed one broken device by getting NTKERN.VXD for Win98SE and using it. My nVidia nForce audio codec interface no longer has the dreaded yellow ! but I am still !!ed out on my nVidia nForce Audio under Sound, video and game controllers - it complains that NTKERN.VXD, MMDEVLDR.VXD couldn't load it. I have also applied the Win98 Service Pack 1 update which brought in new USB drivers.

Gettin' there.....
Dave.

ove zaq Jun 09, 2003, 04:42pm EDT Report Abuse
>> HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM - Will not boot
Got this great(??) card on my desk a couple of days ago, but can't get it to boot.

20 sec after i turn it on it starts to sound ba-bu ba-bu ba-bu .......
Removed the cpu-fan, and then the psu shuts off 5 sec after I turn it on.
Have removed everything except cpu and ram and checked jumpers ok.

Are running an athlon xp 2200 and 256mb pc-266 ddr pc2100

Anyone that can help or have experienced the same?

Thanks in advance.

Milt Jun 09, 2003, 07:33pm EDT Report Abuse
>> ove zaq
If you literally pulled the CPU-fan, but not the CPU, then you've fried the CPU.

It takes less than 5 seconds to totally fry an Athlon, and even the automatic, onboard over-temp protection circuitry can't react quickly enough to save it in situations like you've just described.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.