Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1719 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 03 - 08:46pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Mike Barron Dec 02, 2002, 11:46am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
I recently got this mobo for a mate of mine. I put a Duron 1100 and 128MB DDR2100 in it.

I had some initial problems with not booting at all, this turned out to be the clock jumper settings. My mistake, just swapped them to 100/100. Luckily my manual had the erratum in it. The chip wasn't fried so it worked ok after that.

I installed win 2k and now I'm getting reboots at random intervals. Judging by the posts here, it looks like it's either the CSEL or PSU problem. Asus probe says tha the vcore is running at 1.824v, which seems a bit high for a chip that's rated at 1.6v vcore and 3.3v external. I'll try the CSEL option 1st then replace the PSU if that doesn't work. I'll let you know what happens!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Mike Barron Dec 02, 2002, 01:15pm EST Report Abuse
The CSEL thing didn't work. My mate got a reboot after 20mins. I'll recommend he gets a new PSU. With the following spec, as recommended above:

This
+12V: 15A MAX
+5V: 30A MAX
+3.3V: 14A MAX
-12V: 0.5A MAX
-5V: 0.5A MAX
+5VSB: 2.0A MAX
Not this:
+12V: 13A MAX
+5V: 20A MAX
+3.3V: 18A MAX
-12V: 0.8A MAX
-5V: 0.5A MAX
+5VSB: 2.0A MAX

Mike Barron Dec 03, 2002, 11:00am EST Report Abuse
I had another idea, I'm getting him to try swapping the IDE port that the HD is connected to. It's currently in what the manual says is the faster port. I'll let you know if this has any effect. It seems that the crashes occur during moments of disk access, suggesting a problem with the HD controller.

Mike Barron Dec 04, 2002, 05:08am EST Report Abuse
Swapping the IDE cables didn't make a difference (apart from slowing the disk access down). I thought I'd revisit the BSEL jumpers. Tried every combination, only 100/100 was "stable". Thinking it's the 128MB DDR2100 memory now... will try to acquire another stick to test.

Has anyone esle got this problem of reboot/reset after 1-20 mins of normal operation? I'm running out of ideas here. The conclusion that I'm creeping towards is dud hardware. I don't want to start spending money on new CPU, RAM if I'm missing something obvious. Seeing as this is supposed to be a budget board, it may result in costing more than the alternatives I was trying to avoid.

Milt Dec 04, 2002, 05:46am EST Report Abuse
Mike,
Have you tested the memory using http://www.memtest86.com/
You should.

As stated above, I'm running mine on a 145 watt PSU (3.3V = 7A, 5.0V = 12A), running a XP1600+ @ 1703 (10.5x 162FSB), so I doubt that PSU is your problem.
But, that doesn't mean don't try one if you have one available.

If a computer starts and runs okay for awhile, and then starts doing weird things, it's often heat related.
So, check your temps.
Pull the side off the case and set a small desk fan blowing cool air into the open case.

Mike Barron Dec 04, 2002, 07:09am EST Report Abuse
Thanks, I'll try the memory checker.

I'm not sure it's the CPU temp though, but I'll double check that. I've got Asus Probe running on it, and the CPU appears to be steady <45deg the whole time. I'd expect to see a fairly steep ramp if it was a cooling problem wouldn't I? Let me know if you know of any quirks in the mobo monitors that would prevent it reporting correctly.

Good luck with your car sale! I've already got one that I can't really afford.

Mike Barron Dec 04, 2002, 07:12am EST Report Abuse
Oh and there's some more info on this board I found... have a look at these forums:

http://www.asusnetq.com.tw/inside.asp
http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/forum/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=general

I've put a couple of posts on there too.

Milt Dec 04, 2002, 06:59pm EST Report Abuse
Mike,
You might try this forum as well...
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

Memtest86 is worth a shot, but I've heard of two reports lately where it said the memory checked out, but it really wasn't and the board wouldn't work properly.
On two completely different mobos.

Raj Kumar Dec 06, 2002, 02:56pm EST Report Abuse
I have windows98 SE in my newly brought AMD-ATHLON1800XP, ASUS A7N266-VM Mother Board.
I can't install the Audio Driver as per the procedure given in the CD with the Mother Board. But I installed in the following sequence

X:\Drivers\Chipset\Nvidia\103\Win9XME

when I complete like above I found my sound is not continuous. The frames does not play in sequence. The audio plays irregularly. I think the problem might have been in the Driver. What can I do? Reply me immediately.

Steve Savage Dec 06, 2002, 04:27pm EST Report Abuse
I don't know about you guys but I had no problems at all with mine.

Mike Barron Dec 07, 2002, 02:54pm EST Report Abuse
Moving the memory to the other slot has fixed my problems, thought I'd let you know.

Thanks for everyone's contributions. I couldn't have done it without your help! (esp. Milt)

Gabriel Knight Dec 07, 2002, 04:17pm EST Report Abuse
you guys think that your'll got problems, well i've got bigger ones.

1. cant play any games either the machine freezes or it justs reboots.
2. fatal errors during installation of windows and any other applications.
3. fatal errors during bootup or shutdown

please heeeeeeeelllllllppppppppppppp!!!!!!

Milt Dec 07, 2002, 10:06pm EST Report Abuse
to Gabriel Knight,
Gabriel, if you got 'fatal errors' during your Windows instalation, it's no wonder you've got problems now. What was your first clue?

I have found that my version (rev 1.03) of this mobo will run on damn near anything for a PSU , but others have found that a bigger PSU has cured their problems.

Check on the sticker on the side of your PSU for a 'TCO' rating, and if none, then 3.3v and 5.0v Amps.

I suspect your memory, but we need you to give us your complete system specs before making an intelligent diagnosis.

Gabriel Knight Dec 08, 2002, 02:26pm EST Report Abuse
well here is my system spec:

amd athlon 1600+ xp
nvidia nforce 220d motherboard
512 ddr ram
64mb ddr geforce 2 pro
80 gig maxtor drive
40x12x48 cdrw
16x dvd
250 watt power supply

please help me i wanna kill my self because of this fatal errors.

Mike Barron Dec 08, 2002, 02:31pm EST Report Abuse
Here's my suggestions:

1. Read the rest of this thread.

2. Double check your cpu/dram clock jumpers as per revised manual (BSEL0/1 on p19 of original manual are wrong).

3. Move your memory to the other slot.

4. Check your memory.

5. Get a (decent) 300W PSU.

Milt Dec 08, 2002, 03:24pm EST Report Abuse
Mike is giving you some excellent advice there, and he's a guy who's been through just what you're going through.

In order to eliminate the PSU as a possible source of the trouble, try this.
If that 512meg is 2 sticks, pull one of them.
Pull the GeForce2 card.
Disconnect the CD and the floppy.
Set your BESEL jumpers to run the system at 100/100.
The ILLUSTRATION in the manual is backwards.
What is WRITTEN in the manual IS CORRECT, but reading just takes too damn long...
For 100/100 set the jumpers like this
-. (pins 1-2)
.- (pins 2-3
Lowering the speed lowers the power demands as well.
See if it runs any better with that set-up.

You never did bother to read the sticker like I asked you to in my first reply to you, so I won't bother to ask, or reply, again.

Gareth Warren Dec 11, 2002, 06:40am EST Report Abuse
[Post removed by user' request]

Milt Dec 11, 2002, 07:42am EST Report Abuse
@ Gareth Warren,

That's pretty incredible Gareth! I believe what you say.

From your description I have one of the imposters... very dark green, almost black PCB, Rev 103, Made in Taiwan, NO squares on the box, etc.

But, mine is almost perfect, does everything I had hoped it would, and lots more, now that I've done the 'solder mod'.
If it's a fake, it's a damn good one!

Roughly how many boards did you get for the cafe, and, did they always come from the same supplier???
If different suppliers, where did the bad ones come from.

Asus would probably be interested in your info as well.
Write them, and see if there's any response... hell, they might send you a new nForce2 mobo as a reward!

Gabriel Knight Dec 11, 2002, 04:34pm EST Report Abuse
okay i have an nforce mobo but it works fine with any os now after a few hassles but recently i built a pc for a friend of mine with the same mobo but tragic effects. everytime i try to install any os i blue screens with errors i have numerous jumper setting and i have tried changing the processor, ram, harddrives everything and the same thing happens again. i have no idea what to do. :-(

somebody anyone please help me please.
your help will be greatly appreciated.

Lee Healey Dec 28, 2002, 01:51pm EST Report Abuse
Hi. I have used four of these motherboards and have had good luck except for one thing. I can not get them to work with any pci modem. I have tried 3 different ones and none work. I am running XP and it recognizes the new hardware, seems to load the drivers and then immediately reboots the machine and goes through this cycle forever. I installed my USRobotics pci 3095 in safe mode and it's ok until I try to use it and then it immediate reboots again. Some hints on some of the problems listed above. If you have two ddr memory sticks, they must be the exact same brand & type or you get all kinds of intermittant problems. Luckily, my manual came with a replacement page for the 'backwards' cpu speed settings. Also with the modems, I have the latest XP drivers but can't get past the reboot, error message problem. Thinking about trying a USB modem. Only use a modem for emergency use/fax as I have DSL. Any suggestions? I really like the mobo other than the modem problem. My PSU is 350W and supposedly AMD approved. Using Athlon 2k+.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.