Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1869 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 03 - 08:36pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Jay Goldberg Jun 14, 2003, 01:58pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
Hey, its me again, well, sent back the old power supply and got a new one, and after some difficulty i was able to hook up everything, and get it to run! Mobo light on, CPU fan on, case fan on, cd drive light on, floppy drive, hd led on, etc etc etc... but when I start up, nothing happens with the monitor... I tried several monitors but they didn't react when I plugged them into the back of the motherboard. Any ideas? I'll look around and see what I can find until someone posts. BTW I COULD probably take out the Radeon 9500 Pro from my other computer and put that in long enough to put in the drivers, but I'd rather not... any ideas?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
joe jones Jun 14, 2003, 02:31pm EDT Report Abuse
This topic is offically 1 year old!!

Jay Goldberg Jun 14, 2003, 02:50pm EDT Report Abuse
I just tried resetting the CMOS battery but that didnt do it... I'd also like to add that when I turn off the computer, the monitor also turns off, so it IS connected properly..

Jay Goldberg Jun 14, 2003, 03:26pm EDT Report Abuse
Another update, I noticed that whenever I boot up I get a single quick beep, which the manual says means no errors, which further adds to the complexity... plz does anyone have any ideas??

Jay Goldberg Jun 14, 2003, 04:49pm EDT Report Abuse
Errr, actually there's no beeps at all...I must have been hearing things :P Anyway, I'm still baffled! Someone help!

joe jones Jun 14, 2003, 04:53pm EDT Report Abuse
@ jay

im a bit confused here,

did you get the comp going fully when you changed the PSU above ? Or did you just get the lights.

if you did why dont you try swapping the PSU units around between you 2 comps.

If you didnt then......

joe jones Jun 14, 2003, 04:55pm EDT Report Abuse
by above i mean a few posts ago not your latest set of posts. you said something like 'i plugged in my other PS connector and it worked...'

Jay Goldberg Jun 14, 2003, 05:25pm EDT Report Abuse
I sent back the Power supply and got a new, different one. I then hooked up the new one and put everything back in, and everything works, the mobo light the cpu fan the case fan the drive lights the HD led, even the keyboard, etc....but I don't get a POST on the monitor...when I turn on the monitor it has the self-test thing (to show its working) and then I turn on the computer and the monitor goes amber (its on but it thinks the computer is off or something). I tried a monitor that I know works and it didn't fix it... so basically it seems that everything is working but I'm not getting a POST... any ideas?

Jay Goldberg Jun 15, 2003, 08:36pm EDT Report Abuse
UPDATE

Okay, I found out that I had been putting the memory in the wrong way (Yes, yes, I am stupid.) However, when I put it in the RIGHT way, I get the 'No Ram detected' beep beep beeps. I thought maybe I had damaged the ram by putting it in backwards but I tested it in my other machine (M7VIT mobo) and it worked fine. So any reason why a fully-working 512MB stick of Kingston PC2100 would get the 'No RAM found' beep beep beeps? I WOULD use another stick and update the bios later, but I don't have any other sticks of PC2100 available (and besides, the stick works as i tested). And yes, I did try it in both memory slots, and with both i get the beep beep beeps.

Any ideas?

Jay Goldberg Jun 15, 2003, 08:39pm EDT Report Abuse
PS yes the jumpers are 1-2, 1-2 which is the correct mode for 133/133 ( i am using an XP1700+ Thoroughbred 'B'. btw).

Tomorrow is Monday which is when Asus' tech support opens so if we can't solve this by tonight then I'll (hopefully) be saved by Asus.

Feroz Ahmed Jun 15, 2003, 09:55pm EDT Report Abuse
hi i have a Asus A7N266-VM-Se and a AMD athlon XP 2000+ on a 98SE.my defult jumper settings are 133/133.but in the bios it is 133/33 how do i change it?another thing is that my computer hangs up when i search for a chenat using a game cheat searcher.i tried every thing like changing the ram in either of the slots,updating the bios etc...but still it is not working....PLEASE ANYONE HELP ME!!!!

joe jones Jun 16, 2003, 08:35am EDT Report Abuse
@ jay,

Isnt it physically impossible to put the ram in the wrong way , on this board anyway ?

All i could suggest and i guess Asus tech would do the same is to make sure the RAM is 100% seated into the slot it can take a bit of careful force. You use the clips at each end to force it downwith yur thumb pressing on the elevated end of the ram.

Try the FSB at 100Mhz, wont damage it will just run at 1100MHz instead of 1460MHz, And the other most common thing is shorting out on the case, agin you could try the whole thing out of the case on a bit of cardboard etc...

@Feroz Ahmed

There are 2 blue plastic jumpers just next to one end of the AGP slot which have to be positioned. It should be in the manual.

Jay Goldberg Jun 16, 2003, 09:32pm EDT Report Abuse
Meh I ended up just sending everything back... I didn't have the time, nor the need for the stress...Asus suggested the board might need a RMA so it could have just been defective... oh well...anyway, next time I'm looking for a board, I think I'll stay away from Asus.

Oliver Stinnette Jun 21, 2003, 03:21pm EDT Report Abuse
Can Milt or anyone help me out here. I read this entire forum before the build/set up, about 2 months ago. It was huge having all this info - thanks all. I am having an increasingly agitating instability issue though that is starting to scare me. When I first put my system together, I would get a Blue Screen error of 0167: BFF8AB97 about one out of every 20 times I started my system. Now I am getting lock ups/lock ups during gaming and a prompt to start in safe mod about one out of every 5 times I am on my system. Anyone having any similar situations? FYI the jumpers/the build/drivers -everything went fine a few months ago. I was thinking about trying memtest and going from there but it would help if I could find the immediate cause of error... Thanks for any advice

Windows 98SE, XP 2200+, 512 Crucial DDR/256 K-byte, TI 4200, and bios 1004.

joe jones Jun 28, 2003, 10:49am EDT Report Abuse
more likely to be a hardrive or software related issue.

Milt Jun 29, 2003, 11:25am EDT Report Abuse
>> Oliver Stinnette
I'm sorry joe, but I'll have to diasgree on this one.

Most cold-boot problems, particularly if they gradually develop on a system that WAS working fine, can be traced to a PSU that is slowly dying.

But, looking at it on the bright side, the PSU is the single, cheapest, and probably the easiest-to-replace component, in ANY system.

Here's one that's rated at 400 Watts (yeah! Right!), but it worked for me and several others that I've recommended it to, for less than $8 US...minus the power cord, of course!
http://store.yahoo.com/upgradecenterinc/psgeatx-p400.html

The problem that's happening WHILE it's running can more likely be traced to an overheat situation, possibly something as simple as an accumulation of dust in your heatsink, but the PSU could be a factor in this scenario as well.

miks Jul 01, 2003, 12:39pm EDT Report Abuse
Try using your parts one by one from video card 2 harddisk for PSU at least 300 watts, hardware diver download the newest one-Nforce2.03 w/ soundstorm for video try the detonator43.51, flash your bios to 1006 cool down the chipset, check the proper jumper for frequency of the cpu from 100 to 133 or vice-versa, try using your mem to other system if it runs your mem is ok, if still that dosent solve the problem i think your motherboard is deffective. if still under warranty good thing try not to do more damage it may void your warrant, if it is overdue to the warrant i think its time to buy a new and better(Les problematiK MoBo) :)

miks Jul 01, 2003, 12:47pm EDT Report Abuse
I tried using the ASUS A7N266-VM ver1.05 it has less problems about it, only the chipset, overhating need to use a fan for it, and about the jumper the new manual has a supplied technical update. what version of mother board has a ton of problems, might be the earlier version.

Milt Jul 01, 2003, 08:07pm EDT Report Abuse
>> michael villaflor
I own both versions, the v1.03 and two of the v1.05 and frankly, I can't tell them apart without looking at the numbers.

They all run on 150 watt PSUs, all have T-bred 'B's OCed to 2200 ~ 2400 MHz, and fantastic 6-channel sound.

Alvin Delagon Jul 03, 2003, 03:44am EDT Report Abuse
Hi Guys!

It's been a long time since I posted a reply here. I just wanna say that don't give up with this board! Once you managed to run it, it could reward you a great and speedy performance. Last time I posted here, I was blaming the mobo and I soon found out that CPU heat was the culprit. I advice that when buying AMD CPU's, they should be paired with good hs/f (volcano 7+) and Artic Silver 3. Milt, nice job you've got there but I think I can't do things like that (Super fan) so I shelled out some money for Volcano 7+! God Speed to all!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.