Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1020 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 03 - 07:21pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Paul Gallo Jul 03, 2003, 03:38pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
I ordered a A7N266-VM/AA from Newegg and just recieved it yesterday. I was really excited to put together this new PC since I will be using it as my DVD player in my soon-to-be home theater.

Unfortunately installation did not go as well as planned :| I was trying to use a 1700 Athlon XP, 256megs Crucial 2100 DDR, annnd my case power supply is 230watts (small case).

Got everything situated inside this very cramed case, connected my monitor and tried to boot up. The green light on the mobo lit, keyboard lights did their normal blink, fans started, monitor did not start up (never left standby mode), and then the horrible sound of the long continuous beeps started.

I had the little updated insert with the motherboard's manual and made sure the jumpers were set to 133:133 (they were)... made sure my ram was in nice and tight, still nothing. Switched ram slots, nothing. I tried the new ram in another PC with no problems, so I knew that wasn't the problem. I disconnected everything (Floppy, HD, DVD, the little addon boards that come with the motherboard) and tried it again. I always got the same long continuous beeps.

I thought maybe it could be the new CPU, so I put that in another PC, that booted up fine. I put it back in the A7N266 (so I did reset the chip even though I didn't know this fixed other people's problems) and still no change.

I couldn't think of anything else to try so I assumed the board was defective and earlier today I paid $13 to ship it back to newegg. I should be getting a replacement soon (anyone here have experience dealing with newegg's RMA thing? How long does it take?)

---> SO...my question is: If the replacement comes back and does the same exact thing, what do I do? I tried everything that was suggested here except to try it out of the case on the static-free foam thing. Also, I probably should have tried it with another powersupply, but it seemed to be working fine. I am using the powersupply that came with this case:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&...6811124037

Are there any other tricks to getting this board to work? Milt? :) I'm just hoping the replacement will work right out of the box.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Milt Jul 03, 2003, 05:08pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Paul Gallo
Not to worry, Newegg is really good... a friend had to return a Chaintech mobo to them, and it was back in his hands in 10 days.

If you're going for the HTPC route, a better choice might have been the Chaintech 7NIF-2 which is nForce2 (more expensive, but much more OC'able), and has TV-out s-video on the back panel.
Only 4-channel sound unfortunately, and that sucks compared to the VM

When your VM comes back, try it on the bench first with NOTHING connected.
This will also exclude any possibility of case shorts
Add one thing at time to make sure your PSU can handle all the extra load.

Then install it in your case, and check it first with nothing connected.

Good luck!

@ Alvin.... Yeah, oddly enough, the Volcano7+ is exactly the unit I settled on too!
I lapped mine, and that was good for another 4 ~ 5 degree drop in temps.
Tape a small fan onto the Northbridge, or put a larger Passive HS on there.... That sucker gets HOT!

Paul Gallo Jul 03, 2003, 06:06pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Milt
Thanks for the advice! When I get my replacement board I will be sure to test it outside the case. I'm not sure how I'm going to get the CPU heatsink on there though, usually it helps to have it mounted in the case so I can press down to attach those annoying clips. I guess after I do that and before turning it on I can just take it out and try it out of the case. It won't hurt it at all if I place it on the foam? I don't want to start a meltdown or anything ;)

I went with the A7N266 because it was really cheap, and it has that great little add-on card with the SPDIF out on it. I'm don't really care about the Dolby decoding that the motherboard has but just to get a separate soundcard with the SPDIF connections would cost significantly more. No need for S-video out either because I'll be hooking the HTPC to a Studio Experience 1HD LCD Projector through VGA.

Thanks again! :)

Herb Kuryliw Jul 07, 2003, 03:38pm EDT Report Abuse
Just to let you know I just got done setting up this same motherboard. I was reading this list like scriptures. This was one of the worst builds I ever went through and I have been putting PC's togther since the 4.77Mhz days. I had the A7N266-VM, 256Mb Kingston Mem, 1800+, 60Gig Hard Drive by Western Digital etc.. My problem was when starting the install for Windows XP it would just hang at "Starting Windows" during the first part of the installation. After shutting almost everything off in the BIOS, I did manage to get XP installed after about 8 hours (I has caching off the the CPU as well so I expected it to be slow). Then it got even worse when I turned things back on in the BIOS. I could not bring up windows but I could bring it up in safe mode and work ok. Even turning off everything in the BIOS would not let me bring up XP again. I replaced the CDROM, Hard Drive, went with another brand memory stick. It almost started to look as if there was a problem with either the controller or USB.

Well, after about a week of feeling sorry for myself and getting ready to pack this thing and send it back I took one last bit of advice from this list. I re-seated the CPU and also pull every wire possible off the mobo (pulling the wires off was my idea because I was p**se). After that it came up with no problems. I put all the wires back on one by one thinking maybe the USB or something was stupid with a connection. After about 30 restarts it still was working and runs good. I noticed when closing the case I did forget to put the case speaker wire on the mobo but it is useless anyway and decided not to worry. Most likely I think the problem was resolved when I re-seated the CPU. As strange as I find that to be, thanks to the guys that posted that one. I would have never go that route especially when it worked in safe mode. My son has been using it now for about 4 days and everything is good and he loves it. It is even running NASCAR 2003 between 30-50 fps so that is pretty good for a 32Mb video card and it runs Battlefield 1942 in lower graphics pretty well.

Hope this helps out someone else. I have now lived one of the worst upgrades to a PC ever.

danny van kogelenberg Aug 02, 2003, 08:56am EDT Report Abuse
>> ASUS A7N266-VM SE
hi i just buyd this mobo

i putted in an duron 1.3 ghz

and when i installed everything it just would not do anything , exept that the cpu fan gets running !

ive just read that the manual is incorrect ?

when i last turned the mobo on it gived me a sound like an ambulance tuut taat tuut taat tuut taat and it keeps going

can sombody with some expirience help me a hand

how shut i set the jumpers for an 1.3 duron ?

HELP

thanks

groovy

Paul Gallo Aug 02, 2003, 01:37pm EDT Report Abuse
I forgot about this message board until I just recieved an email saying someone posted. I returned my motherboard to Newegg and they promptly replaced it. Turns out that I had one riser where there was no screw hole :| It was sticking the GeForce GPU right in the back :D So yeah, I probably shorted it out... oops :(

But I tried it out of the case and then double checked the screw positions before putting in the replacement. Everything has been working great since then. One problem I am getting is the onboard graphics have some issue with playing dvds. The entire computer will crash when I press Root Menu (and I've tried multiple dvd players). I put in an old GeForce 2MX AGP card and that problem is fixed. :D Thanks again for the advice Milt.

joe jones Aug 03, 2003, 09:42am EDT Report Abuse
@ danny van kogelenberg

I had the ambulance sound with my first VM board. I ended up sending it back.

It actually booted up fine when i installed it at first, but then i added a CD-ROM whilst the computer on on, and it blacked out, giving me the ambulance beebs. I dont think its good news, i tried everything.

Patton Dickson Aug 07, 2003, 01:52pm EDT Report Abuse
I recently purchased two A7N266-VM motherboards from Ebuyer.com. I was building two systems, one with an Athlon XP1700 and the other with an Athlon XP1800. The first MB(for the 1700) set up without trouble. The second motherboard arrived DOA. I returned that motherboard, and received a replacement this week.

The other night, I installed this second motherboard . When I tried to boot, I got a BIOS beep code that sounds like a siren. The screen never comes on, and this beep is not listed in the manual.

To trouble shoot I tried these steps.

1. I Switched motherboards and the motherboard did the same thing in the other case. The working MB works fine in both cases.

2. I swapped CPU's with the same result.

3. I swapped CPU fans with the same result.

4. I swapped memory with the same result.

5. I removed the battery and think I cleared the bios as shown on page 22 of the manual, but since I can't get to the bios, I cannot tell if it worked.

I am sure Ebuyer does not want to take a second board from me, and I do not know what this beep means. I do know that the CPU, Memory, Fan, Power Supply, and drives all work with my other A7N266-VM.

I sent an email to ASUS last week without responce, any sugestions or should I RMA this one also?

Milt Aug 07, 2003, 02:35pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Patton Dickson
Since you have two identical boards, try switching the BIOS chips.

I had the same problem and it was the ONLY thing that would get the 'dead' one to boot. (I have 3 of the VMs)

Please come back and let us know if it works for you too!

Milt Aug 07, 2003, 02:53pm EDT Report Abuse
>> P.S.
There is no 'clear CMOS' jumper, so I just leave the battery out and unplug the PSU for ~10 seconds when I want to clear CMOS.

Neil Turnbull Aug 12, 2003, 03:44pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi new here....

I have read alot of the post here and ended up not sure what to do!!!!!!!

I have a Asus A7N266-VM mobo with a AMD 2400+ CPU and all the standard bits i.e on board graphic (nVidia GeForce2 64MB, Lan, 5.1 Sound.) Asus manual 2nd Edition.

However when i orginally got my bare bones machine i added the nessecary compontents

256Mb 184pin PC2100 DIMM DDR Ram N/Parity

Hard Drive Deskstar 180GXP 80GB ATA 7200rpm-OEM

A new 3.5 floppy drive

a working CD-Rom drive

I then fomatted, fdisked and formatted the HDD and attempted to load
> Windows ME via a boot up disc. After several attempts i succeeded.
>
> I then loaded the motherboard drivers disk and encounter a few
> problems but eventually got them loaded.I then tried to upgrade to
> XP but my PC would only go so far before rebooting or freezing.
>
> I thought that i had a problem with my HDD so asked a friend to try
> it and after following the same steps as me he was successful in
> loading XP onto the HDD. Unfortunately due to different motherboards
> i was unable to use the HDD to boot my PC so i started over again
> only to end up with the same problem, my PC freezing or rebooting,
> so i tried to load other programs that run in ME but i still ended
> up with the same problem.
>
> I then spoke to a computer engineer and he advised that i check my
> PSU and suggested i buy a more powerful one. I duly purchased a 400w PSU (output: +12v = 17a, +5v = 35a, =3.3v = 28a, -12v = 0.8a, -5v =
>
> 0.3a). This did improve the sound of the fan but done nothing when
> trying to load XP.
>
> I then went to a computer fair and asked various techie types for
> their opinion and most said it was possibly the CPU overheating.I
> was then advised to change the fan so i brought a AMD COOLER
> NOISELESS fan for AMD 3GHz+ CPU and i was told it would work with my
>
> motherboard....it doesn't.
>
> By now i was starting to pull my hair out as i need the PC for degree courses so i thought about going back to basics and
> stripping everything( hardware, i.e HDD, Floppy, CD-Rom,Memory) out
>
> of the case and rebuild on the dining room table making sure every thing was seated right,
> but when we switched on all i got was a two tone alarm(much like a old english ambulance) so i've
> switched it off and am seeking help.
>
I have since had my 256 memory tested and was told that it was no good so i brought 2 more sticks of 256 PC2100 DDR.

I came home stripped off the HDD, The Floppy, THE CD-Rom and put one stick of memory in connected up to the monitoer and switched on....
and got a two tone alarm(much like a old english ambulance) .

Since then i checked the jumpers and they all seem to be in the right place...so i'm still stuck.?

> Can it be fixed, and how....
>
> any help would be most grateful received.
>
> Neil

P.S sorry about the long message but i thought i try to give as much info as poss.....:0)

Milt Aug 12, 2003, 04:17pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Neil Turnbull
So it's an old English Ambulance that the VM imitates, huh?
I've always thought of it as an English Police Car.
I stand corrected!
It is a scary sound, and not one I want to hear ever again...

Try your setup on the dining room table again, with only 1 stick of 'known good' memory, no IDE devices or floppy, just monitor, keyboard, and PSU, but this time pull the CMOS battery out and just unplug the PSU for ~5 seconds.
This is the 'easy way' to "clear CMOS" because there is NO jumper on the VM.
You can leave the battery out until you need to unplug the PSU again, assuming we get you up and running again.

If the 'clear CMOS' doesn't do it, then try re-seating your CPU... just take it out and put it back... I know it sounds nuts, but it has worked for many users in this thread, for no apparent reason.

And if that doesn't work I'd have to say that your BIOS has gotten scrambled somehow... it's happened to myself, and others, again for no obvious reason.
Time to RMA

Neil Turnbull Aug 12, 2003, 04:46pm EDT Report Abuse
Thanks Milt

Will try what you suggested and let you know....

Whats RMA?

Neil

Patton Dickson Aug 12, 2003, 04:50pm EDT Report Abuse
I called eBuyer after not hearing back from ASUS. They told me t send it back.

Patton

Neil Turnbull Aug 12, 2003, 04:59pm EDT Report Abuse
Do i take the CMOS battery out before booting up or after?

after leaving it for 5 seconds do i boot down and re- instate CMOS battery and boot up again to see if alarm has disappeared?

If it hasn't i should then boot down and reseat the CPU and try again?

Sorry about the questions but this is my first build from nearly scratch although i have changed many compontents...and i'm more of a software person.

Milt Aug 12, 2003, 05:04pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Patton, Neil
Neil

'RMA' is short for a 'Returned Merchandise Authorization'... it's just a number that you MUST get from your supplier BEFORE you return the board.

Patton,
Sorry to hear that... even swapping the BIOS chips didn't solve it???

Patton Dickson Aug 12, 2003, 05:07pm EDT Report Abuse
Neil,

I was going to try it, but swapping the bios would still leave me with one dead motherboard, so I sent it off.

Milt Aug 12, 2003, 05:09pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Neil

CMOS BATTERY REMOVAL

With regard to clearing CMOS, which I find is frequently necessary whenever I'm trying to discover the limits of any given system, one trick I've learned is to remove the CMOS battery from the board completely.

Just leave it lying loose in the bottom of your case, until you're headed out for the next LAN party.

Assuming your board uses an ATX type power supply, (any modern K7 system does) and remains plugged in, and the PSU switch is left 'ON', (assuming you even have a switch), then you will NEVER lose your CMOS settings.
The CMOS voltage is automatically maintained by the +5.0 volt Standby rail of the ATX PSU.
The battery is only needed if you want to transport your comp to a different location, say for a LAN party.

Then, when you actually NEED to 'clear CMOS', for WHATEVER reason, simply unplug the PSU and wait ~5 seconds.

On your next boot-up you'll get that "CMOS battery Low", "Press F1 to load Defaults or DEL to enter SETUP" message that you SHOULD get after ANY 'clear CMOS' routine.

So there's no need to unplug it, and THEN mess with that tiny little jumper hidden deep inside of the case!
RESEATING THE CPU

Also, try reseating the CPU since at times it seems to "magically" fix the problem with new mobos / new procs. Possibly there is some kind of 'protective coating' on the pins, or in the holes, that is removed after a couple of insertions.
I don't know why for sure, but sometimes it sure works!

Milt Aug 12, 2003, 05:30pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Patton Dickson
If you had tried it as I asked, and it worked, then I would have walked you through a 'hotswap' where you use the 'good' BIOS chip to get the board up and running, swap the BIOS chips and flash a 'good' BIOS onto the 'bad' BIOS chip.
It would have saved you the postage cost and a bunch of time waiting for the replacement.

And you might even have learned something... too late now, I guess

EVERYBODY!!!!

I am getting really bored with this 23 pages of VERY 'user UNFRIENDLY' Forum, so if you wish to ask me more questions re your VM, please go to the Rebel's Haven Computer Forum... they have a whole section dedicated to the Asus nForce mobos, and you'll find me there from now on... here's the URL...
http://www.rebelshavencomputerforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi...forum;f=21

Neil Turnbull Aug 13, 2003, 01:17pm EDT Report Abuse
Still having problems with alarm on motherboard...(see earlier post)..

Have tried reseating CPU several times.... and have removed CMOS battery and unplugged PSU as advise....

However if i put a different CPU on the MOBO the alarm doesn't go off antmore but i still don't get a piture on the monitor....any suggestions

Neil

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.