Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1505 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 03 - 07:55pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Robert Shores Aug 13, 2003, 02:38pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
Apparently Neil doesn't live in an area that has power outages from storms and such. His suggestion of removing your CMOS battery would be a major pain when the power goes out. I'd suggest the smart thing to do would be to leave the battery on the motherboard where it belongs.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Milt Aug 13, 2003, 04:50pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Robert Shores
So Robert, please tell us just how you 'clear CMOS' on YOUR A7N266-VM????

Robert Shores Aug 14, 2003, 12:33am EDT Report Abuse
Milt......

I use a paperclip to short out the connectors where the jumper is supposed to be. And to clearify, I meant don't take the battery out and leave it out. If you do this, anytime there is a power glitch, you will have to reset your bios. It's ok to take the battery out to clear the CMOS..but put it back in after it's cleared

nathan davenport Aug 16, 2003, 09:47pm EDT Report Abuse
Gentlemen,

I have performed the 3 pin jumper mod as suggested by milt. Worked very well, but I had problems initially getting the cmos to reset. I didn't know this was even the problem until I put in an older chip which at least booted and had to do a reset from within the bios because of a bad checksum.

Anyway, everything works as advertised. However, my 1700+XP always comes up as a 1700XP and the multiplier gets reset no matter what I do. I can change it, but it doesn't stick. Is this due to this setup not unlocking the multiplier? Do I have to do something to the chip too? This is a little new to me, as the 3 pin jumper mod was my first solder job in years. I am running the v1006 bios and my chip is an AIRGA and an 'A' core I believe.

Any advice would be appreciated. You too please Milt, I can't post at that other forum yet because I am not approved.

Thanks guys!

-Nathan

Milt Aug 16, 2003, 10:50pm EDT Report Abuse
>> nathan davenport
Sorry, but the VM's BIOS will not allow multiplier changes, although it lets you think it will.

The BIOS decides what to display at POST by reading the multiplier on the chip.... ever since I cut 3 bridges to get a 13.5x multi, my 1700+ now POSTs as a 2200+

The only way to change the multi is by cutting bridges right on the chip itself. Here's a link to a guide on what to cut...
http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html
It's easy... once you have determined the upper limit of your processor, divide that number (it was 1789 MHz in the case of my 1700+ T-bred 'A') by the max 181 FSB = 9.88 (with my 1700+ 'A' I settled for 9.5x 181 = 1719.5 MHz)
Your on-board video will love you for it! (assuming you have the memory that can do 181 MHz)

Nathan, I'm a moderator over at http://www.rebelshavencomputerforum.com/
So please let me know what the problem is with registering and I'll get it straightened out right away. justmilt@sympatico.ca

nathan davenport Aug 18, 2003, 12:10am EDT Report Abuse
Great, thanks for the info. I will check out that info.

Oh, I was able to register, it was just the approval process wasn't immediate. Thanks.

Jason Dennis Aug 21, 2003, 12:52am EDT Report Abuse
I have (or rather had, cause now I got a A7N266vm/aa) a a7n266 vm. Not sure what the aa difference is, but when the board was RMA'd by Asus this is what they sent me.

The problem is, the system just suddenly shuts off. Sometimes it may be 30 mins, sometimes it may be 3 days, but it just straight out shuts off. It is fairly hard to test since sometimes it takes days for it to finally freak out, but luckily it happens quickly. Nothing I've done with the exception of the motherboard RMA, has any consistent change on how often it happens. This is what I've tried.

*Replaced PSU (was a 400w, replaced with a higher quality 350w)
*RMA'd board.
*Jumpered cpu to 100 instead of 133.
*Format/Reinstall of 98se, just for good measure.

The system runs fairly cool, around 42 for cpu, 33 for mb. I have monitored the cpu temp right before it happened to shut off and it was no higher than this.

Even after the RMA, the problem persists. To be honest it seems less common than before the RMA, but regardless it is still there. Suggestions?

The ram on it is 2700 Crucial micron 256megs. Could this be it, and could someone recommend a better brand for this mb?

Btw, thank you for this board. I have been looking for a really good resource for this board and this is the best I've seen.

Mike Pacheco Aug 21, 2003, 10:19am EDT Report Abuse
When systems randomly shut down for no reason, it is typically the PSU's fault or the CPU getting too hot but since you say it may take days, I'm leaning towards the PSU. Its not uncommon for systems with bad PSUs to run for days when idling and then shut down within an hour's use. Which 350w PSU are you running? Bad ram will usually just freeze the system (not shutdown) or it won't allow a boot at all ;) so I'm pretty certain it's not the RAM.

Also, have you tried removing the all its components except for the memory, CPU, PSU and testing the motherboard from separate from its case (on top of the cardboard box it came in) to verify it's not a short somewhere??

Jason Dennis Aug 23, 2003, 02:25am EDT Report Abuse
To be honest the power supplies were both pretty cheap, and I dont know offhand what brand they are. Although, and I forgot to mention this, I have another of the identical motherboard in a system I built for someone else with just as cheap of power supply and it runs flawlessly. Maybe I just got 2 bad ones though.

Thank you for the idea on the short also. Think I will run a few days of tests with it out and things unplugged and plug things in one by one to test that theory. It makes alot of sense.

anthony lett Aug 23, 2003, 08:01pm EDT Report Abuse
i just bougt this board for an AMD just to have a second PC in the house for sister and family members. Ya i bought it in the summer of 2k3 but it runs stable, its not the fastest lol and no its not overclockable which sucks coz i didnt know. o well.. i plan on upgrading that motherboard in a year or 2 when i have som extra money around. other wise its a pretty good board with 256mb of DDR 333 tho lol, and im running an AMD Athalon XP2000+ or 1666 in the bois b.s lol. it runs counter strike and such with the nvidia chipset and i get 70 FPS nicly. the only downer about that board is the non overclockable ness <- new word. Dont get it if ur buildin a pc for urself for games and photos an video. Good for internet an old games. suggestion.. get a video card and its good for a novice gamer.

Milt Aug 23, 2003, 08:29pm EDT Report Abuse
>> anthony lett
Read this brief guide detailing the overclocking procedure for the Asus A7n266-VM Motherboard.

http://www.angelfire.com/yt3/jzztt/Overclocking_the_Asus_A7n266-VM.htm

And, click on the link in my sig below, then come back and bitch

nathan davenport Aug 23, 2003, 09:36pm EDT Report Abuse
Ok, I have been running this board successfully now for a week or so since my 3pin mod. I haven't had time to do the chip so I just jumpered it back to the original state (thank goodness I did the mod that way!) since it was running at like 100FSB and 1000Mhz.

Anyway, I have only noticed one strange problem which most likely not motherboard related, but that is the only real hardware that has changed since my previous setup besides a faster cpu. When playing counterstrike (yes I admit to being a gamer) I can't use the keyboard and mouse simulateously without it stuttering something fierce. It is really weird. I have tried it with a USB and PS2 mouse and a USB and PS2 keyboard in all possible combinations and still have the problem. I have also switched to XP with this rebuild, so that could be a problem too.

I have increased the sampling rate on the mouse and checked to make sure they are using different IRQ settings. Other than that I am at a loss, so I figured I would ask here since there are lots of smart helpful folk on this thread.

Thanks!
-Nathan

anthony lett Aug 23, 2003, 11:01pm EDT Report Abuse
Milt, i dont use PCmark or w,e i have never benchmarked my PC, im happy the way my computer is it runs faster than any PC i have been on so im good. maybe if i was givin the link an had the time i would benchmark it. i donno what the hell that 2 thousand points meen. explain it to me, and why do u think im bitching?

Milt Aug 24, 2003, 02:26am EDT Report Abuse
>> nathan davenport
Don't worry about changing the multiplier on your chip, not yet.
Increase the speed of your WHOLE SYSTEM by slowly raising the FSB speed in your CMOS Setup, second page.
If you put your new jumper in the 'other' position, then the FSB speeds are available in CMOS from 100 to 181 MHz.

Sorry, but I can't help you with your mouse/keyboard conflict... perhaps there's a patch from the game Mfg.?

Milt Aug 24, 2003, 02:37am EDT Report Abuse
>> anthony lett
Re: "i donno what the hell that 2 thousand points meen. explain it to me, and why do u think im bitching?"

That 2472 is NOT points, that's Mega Hertz!!!!!!!!! 2472.2 of them to be exact.
And that's starting with an Athlon XP 1700+ DLT3C which normally runs at 11.0x 133.3FSB = 1466 MHz.

So that's more than 1 Gigahertz overclock on a board that you are complaining about "its not the fastest lol and no its not overclockable which sucks"

So show me a faster one, anywhere remotely near this price, buddy

nathan davenport Aug 24, 2003, 11:36am EDT Report Abuse
Milt:

When I have it jumpered in the unlocked position, nothing I set for the multiplier will stick. It runs at 1000mhz instead of the stock 1467 or so. even if I could change the FSB, I am already losing like 33% of my speed with it jumpered this new way. Am I doing something wrong? I don't know if the chip is over-riding something or if the bios changes simply don't stick. The other bios changes seem to stay so I don't think that is it. I must be mis-understanding something fundemental here.

On another note, I am not sure it is totally fixed, but a driver update away from the standard microsoft PS2 mouse driver seemed to help alot.

Thanks

Milt Aug 24, 2003, 06:37pm EDT Report Abuse
>> nathan davenport
You may be using the 1004 BIOS (which does NOT work), or you may be leaving the original two jumpers on when you switch your new one to 'unlocked'

Either way, this new setup will never allow you to actually change the multiplier... it only lets you think that you are.

I think that I've just had a flash of intelligence!
YOU ARE USING AN ATI VIDEO CARD !!!!!!!!!!
This will automatically shunt any setting using the 'unlocked' jumper position back to 100/100.
Apparently the GeForce series does NOT cause this, ONLY the ATI cards

PULL THE ATI VID CARD, and try using the on-board, or borrow a GeForce vid card.

Milt Aug 24, 2003, 06:37pm EDT Report Abuse
>> nathan davenport
You may be using the 1004 BIOS (which does NOT work), or you may be leaving the original two jumpers on when you switch your new one to 'unlocked'

Either way, this new setup will never allow you to actually change the multiplier... it only lets you think that you are.

I think that I've just had a flash of intelligence!
YOU ARE USING AN ATI VIDEO CARD !!!!!!!!!!
This will automatically shunt any setting using the 'unlocked' jumper position back to 100/100.
Apparently the GeForce series does NOT cause this, ONLY the ATI cards

PULL THE ATI VID CARD, and try using the on-board, or borrow a GeForce vid card.

nathan davenport Aug 25, 2003, 10:53am EDT Report Abuse
Milt: Yes, I am using an old radeon. Hmm. I think we will go to onboard video as this box is migrating to server status soon. I knew there was something going on I just wasn't understanding.

Thanks again for the help!

joe jones Aug 29, 2003, 04:41pm EDT Report Abuse
does anybody know what the new 1006 bios adds? can you use ati cards and overclock with bios.

cheers

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.