Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1066 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 03 - 07:25pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
hec gam Jan 25, 2004, 09:50am EST Report Abuse
>> onboard lan not connecting, yellow/orange light only showing
first, i apologize if this has already been answered in this discussion. i've read thru this and could not find this topic.

i rma's my first mb due to blue screen (although i didn't try resetting the jumbers to 100:100), with this new one i got back, i did not get the monitor to work. after changing the default 133:133 to the 100:100 everything works fine. Everything except for the onboard lan.

i'm getting the yellow/orange light only. my router shows that there is a good connection. all other pc's connected work fine. i've burned the latest drivers from asus website and installed them, but still no go.

thanks in advance for any help on this.

hector

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Robert Shores Jan 25, 2004, 04:55pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
@hec

Let me first say to people that are looking for help to give enough info for us to work with.

I don't know what operating system you are using....or the basic configuration of your computer, so this will be kinda general for Windows XP

Right click on My Computer then Properties, Hareware, Device Manger. See if there is a red or yellow mark next to the LAN. If there is, reinstall the latest driver from the ASUS site for your Ver of the motherboard. I download the latest drivers and burn them all to a CD to make a current DRIVER disk in case I have to reinstalI them.

After you have reinstalled the LAN driver, reboot and check the properties again. Once you have the LAN working, go to Control Panel and ..Network and set up your account info.

hec gam Jan 25, 2004, 06:19pm EST Report Abuse
@Robert

Sorry about that. I am running WinXP Pro.

2400 AMD
Netgear router DHCP
Running BIOS 1007

The network adaptor in Device Mgr shows <i>NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller</i>.
Driver version 3.1.3.0... no yellow icon on the network controller. Shows that device is working properly. IRQ it is using is 21. Could that be a conflict with some other device? How do I check that?
I installed it using the latest drivers from ASUS (burned a cd from my 'old' pc). I went thru and deleted the one's that were installed previously. Win SYSTEM32 directory and anywhere else I could find the drivers listed in Device manager.
Also tried to use the 'repair' feature of winxp for the 'connection'. Got an error saying "The following steps of the repair operation faild: Renewing the IP Address. Please contact your network administrator or ISP.
Have also tried to switch cables and still nothing.

One thing that I have not tried is to connect it directly to the cable modem. I'll try that to see if it helps.

This is the second board i've gotten (RMA'ed) the first to newegg.com (side note, they are really good about getting me the new mobo. Prices on their site are great.) The first one was working for 6 mos then I started getting the blue screen and lockups, even on boot and system setup screen. I didn't try the 100:100 jumper settings though. Found this site after i returned it. Anyhow, the HD was already set up for the last mobo. I plugged everything when i got the new one. and everything got up and running, except for the LAN. Then i went ahead and re-installed WINXP (no new format, just ran the upgrade over the current install). everything went smoothly but still no network connection.

Great stuff on this site, lots of good info, thanks!

hector

Robert Shores Jan 25, 2004, 06:53pm EST Report Abuse
@ Hector

Sounds like the LAN card is working ok. So it must be the way it is trying to connect. Go to Control Panel and Internet Connection. Use the connection setup Wizard to set up a LAN connection. Check the automatic settings box. It's pretty straight forward.

hec gam Jan 25, 2004, 07:13pm EST Report Abuse
oops. i'm used to clicking enter after filling out password on forms. ignore the previous blank message

oooops again. it was my settings that was causing the error.

i have mcafee firewall installed and saw, for some reason, i have no idea why i had this ip address blocked, but i had the dhcp assigned ip address blocked? can't think of when or why i did that.

in any case, for anyone else that makes this dumb mistake that i did, check your firewall settings.

my mistake!

thanks for your help.

on a separate topic, why is it that 133:133 settings won't work? i've read most of this forum, but may not have absorbed everything. is it the PSU? so in 'mobo's for dummies' language, why can't i get those jumper settings to work? i really can't tell the difference in speed, but just the fact that i know i'm not getting the 'most' out of my pc is troubling.

so far everything is working great now. haven't gotten the blue screen or freezing.

thanks again!

hector

Robert Shores Jan 25, 2004, 07:27pm EST Report Abuse
I hate those software firewalls....glad you figured it oput.

As for the 133/133...I'm sure you've seen where the manual is incorrect. Asus has the correction on their download page. For 133/133, both jumpers are on the left when looking at the board with the AGP slot at the bottom. Then make sure you have the correct setting in the BIOS for the 2400xp. Download WCPUID http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html
to check exactly what your processor is running at.
i HAVE A 1700 RUNNING AT 133/133.

Robert Shores Jan 25, 2004, 07:39pm EST Report Abuse
I forgot to mention...make sure you got a late enough bios to allow you to run the 2400 CPU. Check here.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

hec gam Jan 25, 2004, 08:58pm EST Report Abuse
@ Robert

the original factory default was set correctly for the 133:133 (both jumpers on the left). When i booted for the first time, my monitor froze. After switching to 100:100 everything is working. Could be power supply be the culprit?

wcpuid and asus probe shows my pc running at 1500 :(

i'll give the jumpers a shot again soon. just happy to get my system up and running at this point.

Thanks again!

Milt Jan 25, 2004, 09:12pm EST Report Abuse
I don't know if this will help at all, (since you can't even get to 133/133), but if you do a simple 'solder mod', this board becomes FSB adjustable, in CMOS, from 100 to 181 MHz.
Details in this article...
http://www.angelfire.com/yt3/jzztt/modding_A7n266-VM.htm

You do NOT get multiplier adjustments, but it's worthwhile doing, IMHO
And, if you run an ATI vid card in it, after the mod, it'll kick you back to 100/100, regardless of what you do.

I have three of these mobos now, and all of them work fine at 181 MHz.
Check the link in my sig, below... that's a 1700+ running 2472.2 MHz... a 1 Gig overclock!

Robert Shores Jan 26, 2004, 08:51am EST Report Abuse
@Hector

What is the model number and specs on your power supply? I'm using an Antec 430 W true power. This maybe overkill, but I'm not wonering if my power supply is at fault if I have problems. I use a digital voltmeter to check voltages at different connections inside the case.

Robert Shores Jan 26, 2004, 08:51am EST Report Abuse
@Hector

What is the model number and specs on your power supply? I'm using an Antec 430 W true power. This maybe overkill, but I'm not wonering if my power supply is at fault if I have problems. I use a digital voltmeter to check voltages at different connections inside the case.

hec gam Jan 26, 2004, 09:35am EST Report Abuse
@ Robert,

I'm using a 350 w power supply that came with the case (Raidmax 228 case)
http://raidmax.com/products/products_display.php?page_no=1&...amp;pID=23
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-156-102-06.JPG

thanks

Robert Shores Jan 26, 2004, 10:08am EST Report Abuse
@Hector

That PSU looks like it would do the job...if the specs are real....it's a pretty cheap supply though....I never trust the ones that don't have a separate fan grill.

You could test the memory with memtest86...set the board to 133/133 first

download here http://www.memtest86.com/

Robert Shores Jan 26, 2004, 10:43am EST Report Abuse
@Hector

I see that Athlon 2400+ comes as a Throughbred and a Thorton. It looks like the Thorton
has a 256K L2 cache. On the ASUS site it shows the A7N266-VM ver 1.05 as using the Thorton with bios 1006. It shows the ver 1.03 as using the Throughbred and bios 1004. The 1006 may disable the onboard cache for the Thorton.

Check to see what combination you have for processor and mobo version.

hec gam Jan 26, 2004, 12:18pm EST Report Abuse
@ Robert

I'll have to check it out when i get home.

I currently am using 1007 bios though.

i may try to set the jumpers back to 133 just to see what happens.

thanks

Robert Shores Jan 26, 2004, 04:26pm EST Report Abuse
I'm using the 1007 bios with a version 1.03 board. I also got mine from Newegg when they first had it on sale...it is the one before the AA model It's almost 2 years old now.

hec gam Jan 26, 2004, 08:00pm EST Report Abuse
@Robert

Can you attach the link on the ASUS site for the mobo versions?

thanks

Milt Jan 26, 2004, 08:54pm EST Report Abuse
>> Versions, or 'Revisions'
hec,

Don't worry about the rev #... there were only two... the REV 1:03 and the REV 1:05
I own both, and I honestly can't see ANY difference, either in physical characteristics OR performance.

The 2400+ Thorton is, like all of the Thortons, based on the Barton core.
The difference between one and the other lies solely in which bridges have been Laser-cut before the CPU leaves the factory.
The 'missing' 256K of L2 cache on the Thorton is still there, and can be re-enabled, by closing the open L2 bridge.

I've just moved my 2500+ Barton into my REV 1:05 and cranked the FSB up to my boards max of 181 MHz. (I've done the 'solder mod' on mine)
This gives me 11 x 181 = 1995 MHz, instead of the stock 11 x 166.6 = 1833 MHz, so I'm slightly overclocked.

But I know that my particular Barton 2500+ is good for 2400 MHz on my PCChips M810L, so the next step is to cut a couple of L3 bridges to give me 13 x 181 = 2353 MHz = XP 3400+!

If you're interested, I'll let you know how it goes.

Robert Shores Jan 27, 2004, 10:51am EST Report Abuse
@Hector

Here's acomparison of your 350W PSU with a Quality 350W Enermax PSU.

RAIDMAX MODEL RD_350W
3.3V@16A
5.0V@25A
12.0V@14A

ENERMAX EG365P-VE(FMA) 350W
3.3V@32A
5.0V@32A
12.0V@26A

You can see that the RAIDMAX 350W rating is a little inflated.

hec gam Jan 27, 2004, 01:01pm EST Report Abuse
@Milt

thanks for the info.
I definitely be interested. mods are always cool to see.

@Robert

Will getting a better power supply allow me to use the 133:133 settings?

I'm also worried about the heat on the processor. i'm using the stock AMD heatsink/fan that came with the proc.
what would you recommend (budget and non-budget)?

On AMD's site they recommend to use the thermal tape. and only use a compound if you are working on builds where you would be taking off the processor frequently. Apparently they say that the compounds/gels will not last over time. Is that right??

Right now, even though I'm running at a slower speed than my processor is meant for, i'm happy since it's working. The blue screens and lockups i was experiencing was going on for 2 months before i decided to rma it. was driving me crazy. Weird thing is for the first 4 or 5 months it ran great. no problems at all.

Future upgrades would be -
power supply (if needed)
mobo heatsink/fan (again, if needed)
graphics card. <-- i have a Best Buy gift card burning in my wallet. :)

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.