Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1666 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 03 - 08:49pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Milt Jan 12, 2003, 01:25am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: HELP!!! ASUS A7N266-VM
To clear CMOS properly you need a flat-blade screwdriver to short the two solder points where the manual says the jumper is supposed to be.
Unplug the PSU before you short them.

Try disconnecting FLOPPY, CD-ROM, and HD completely, just to see if it'll POST at all.

Any chance of borrowing another CPU or memory stick to try? Particularly memory, if you can. No risk to the loanee, either, like there is with CPU.

If not, I'd RMA it

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
The Jake Jan 12, 2003, 11:26am EST Report Abuse
I am getting a similar problem, but my CPU fan isn't even going on. Got any ideas? There is power to the board, but nothing happens when I push the power button. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

thanks

Milt Jan 12, 2003, 09:59pm EST Report Abuse
Could be just a bad power button. Hope so.

To be sure, disconnect the 2 wires for the power-on switch from the mobo and momentarily short those same 2 pins (pins 4-5 on the outer edge, I think... check your manual)
If it fires, you've got a bad switch.

If not, likely a bad PSU, but could be mobo, still

Try it, let us know how it goes.

The Jake Jan 13, 2003, 08:37am EST Report Abuse
Thanks,

I will try that when I get to work today.

The Jake Jan 13, 2003, 01:10pm EST Report Abuse
It ended up being a faulty wire on the power button. Got it changed and it is now on.

Thanks for the help

Milt Jan 13, 2003, 03:03pm EST Report Abuse
@ Adam, boy, don't you wish they were all that easy to solve!

Since you already own one, why don't you check out this thread about overclocking the A7N266-VM
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530
It's now up to 8 pages (in length), and I'm up to 1804 (in MHz) with my XP1600+, with good air cooling.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/oscarsok/1600_WCPUID1804_CPU165_Pi1.1sec.jpg

The Jake Jan 13, 2003, 03:34pm EST Report Abuse
Yeah, I don't know why I didn't think of it since I do this for a living?

Me Me Jan 14, 2003, 01:05am EST Report Abuse
I have a combination of all the problems which so far have been listed on this thread . My system (athlon 1700Xp, 256 MB 1 stick ) initially worked fine for a few days . Then it started randomly rebooting . well the problem got worse and now it wont event boot. It gives me beeps signifying no RAM dtected . I have tried the RAM in both the slots and it doesnt help. I've tried all Bsel jumper position for 133/100 ,100/133 its gives me a blank screen , for the other two selections it gives me no RAM detected . Anyone found a solution to this problem??? Is it the MB or have i burnt out the CPU?
all the fans and LEDs work . so theres no problem with the power supply. I dont have spare MB or processors to test . plz help

Charlie Curry Jan 14, 2003, 02:02am EST Report Abuse
I used the Frequency JumpersSettings at default on my motherboard which were wrong. I am running a AMD XP 2100 with DDR128 meg 133 memory. Re-set jumpers to Dram 133 pins 1&2 and CPY 133 pins 1&2.
Question: Would the defalut settings at first being wrong have Damaged my processer because it will not do anything now?

Harry S Jan 16, 2003, 04:19pm EST Report Abuse
Ques: DDR128 meg 133 memory. Re-set jumpers to Dram 133 pins 1&2 and CPY 133 pins 1&2. Question: Would the defalut settings at first being wrong have Damaged my processer because it will not do anything now?

Possible reason: you're using wrong PC133 memory which is not compatible with 133 RAM mb setting. Correct RAM is PC2100 memory which can run at 266MHz (133 X 2 for DDR). Get the right PC2100 RAM and should work.

Milt Jan 16, 2003, 04:54pm EST Report Abuse
Charlie:
Running ANYTHING slower than it's supposed to go will NOT hurt it.
Possible exception is hard drives, but I don't think it applies here... you've got no POST right?

And, just beat a dead horse, pin 1 is towards the rear of the board, correct?

Dave Lyons Jan 21, 2003, 09:38pm EST Report Abuse
I've got more fuel to the fire, unless someone tells me I've got something configured wrong.
The POST actually reports:
Ram Test: 1664K OK+ 32768 shared memory.
Entering BIOS, it reports 33mb ram

When I boot a Win98 system rescue disk, it can't setup a ramdrive because of "not enough extended memory" error. I can't install either Windows 2000 or XP operating systems for the same reason- not enough extended memory when booting from the instalation CD. I've built two other systems with this motherboard and had no problems whatsoever. I had the user's manual correction page concerning the BSEL0 BSEL1 jumpers- mine were set properly for 133:133mhz operation

I have similar equipment as those above:
A7N266-VM
Athlon XP 1700+
Crucial 256mb PC2100 DDR ram chip
Antec SX635 case w/AMD approved power supply
I am using all 'built-in" devices - No additional video or sound cards

I've already tried:
Installing this memory chip in either slot on the mobo - both failed.
This Crucial memory tested fine on my ASUS A7V266-E mobo so I tried my known 'good' working Kingston ValueRam PC2100 256mb chip in this mobo and got the same results - not enough extended ram- only 33mb visible to BIOS.
From these ram swaps, I concluded there wasn't any problems with any of my RAM chips.
Then I swapped out my motherboard with another brand new, never used, A7N266-VM board I had laying around as a spare. Same results !! It also couldn't see more than 33mb ram. So I revised the BIOS to the newest level 1005 and still got the same result.
I then cleared the cmos by shorting the solder points per the manual - same results !!
I then installed a spare Athlon XP 1800+ processor and still got the same results.
Could it be the power supply? I installed a backup 300w power supply- exact same results.

Bottom line is, I've replaced every darn component and still get the same results !! What gives ??!??!?!??!?

Milt Jan 21, 2003, 10:30pm EST Report Abuse
Hey, that's a tough one!

You've replaced/substituted every component in that case with 'known good' except for two... the HS/F, and we know that ain't the problem, and the case itself.

Have you tried it outside the case, on the Anti-Static foam they come packed in?
Just to eliminate the possibility of a short between mobo and the case stand-offs.
It's happened to the best of us, and I can't see anything else that was 'common' to all of your above scenarios.

Try it, and let us know, 'cause that's a weird one!

Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 09:14am EST Report Abuse
I had some silly problems with these boards, and some were solved by reseating the processor (a pain when you use a Volcano 9 fan).

Also I found that a good power supply is far more preferable than a cheap one. The 300 Watt Supply is just as effective as a wet paper bag. Buy a reputable brand with a known pedigree.

AND more importantly, I have found the need to update the BIOS on even the new boards to 1.06. This cures most of the ailments.

On the whole I have found these boards to be great value, and have seen few if any of the problems discussed here. I have seen the black screens and heard the many beeps - reseat processor. I have seen the complete lack of startup activity - fit a known reliable Power Supply Unit. And I have seen an XP1800+ cause some real problems for no apparent reason - fixed by installing an XP1900+ .

Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 09:14am EST Report Abuse
I had some silly problems with these boards, and some were solved by reseating the processor (a pain when you use a Volcano 9 fan).

Also I found that a good power supply is far more preferable than a cheap one. The 300 Watt Supply is just as effective as a wet paper bag. Buy a reputable brand with a known pedigree.

AND more importantly, I have found the need to update the BIOS on even the new boards to 1.06. This cures most of the ailments.

On the whole I have found these boards to be great value, and have seen few if any of the problems discussed here. I have seen the black screens and heard the many beeps - reseat processor. I have seen the complete lack of startup activity - fit a known reliable Power Supply Unit. And I have seen an XP1800+ cause some real problems for no apparent reason - fixed by installing an XP1900+ .

Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 09:16am EST Report Abuse

Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 09:16am EST Report Abuse

Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 09:17am EST Report Abuse

Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 09:17am EST Report Abuse

Steve Thomas Jan 22, 2003, 09:18am EST Report Abuse

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.