Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 353 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 18 - 05:26am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Help with ASUS A7N266-VM 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
Dave Pointer Mar 17, 2007, 08:32am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Help with ASUS A7N266-VM
Yes the mobiles do work- I had to pin mod @ cut the bridges to get it to work right.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?http://www.ocinside.de/html/w...inmod.html

Theres the web page I used, I would recommend for the wire, to take an ol'ata33 cable and cut it apart, making small U's with wire and then using a fine tweezers to drop the U's into the correct slots.

Hope this helps

Dave

Home Server
a7n266-vm
Pin Modded 2004, still running
Mobile Barton 2.4ghz (18x133)
1 gig of memory
128mb Ti4600
160 gb Main drive
Raid Card
1.2 tb raid drive (4x320)
Win XP pro

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
user lander Mar 17, 2007, 12:21pm EDT Report Abuse
sure enough - i just dropped two wires from an old IDE cable into the right holes, and now i have a 14x multiplier. i used the info in post #3 in this thread for the a7m266 (different mobo), and it worked perfectly:
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=234592&highlight=a7m266

i'm not even going to bother messing with the jen jumpers, this is good enough and if i need more, i'll just raise the multiplier. i thought i'd have to dump this board, but now it's got some new life, thanks. :thumbsup:

Matthew James Apr 24, 2007, 03:32pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi
Im currently fixing a friends comp which uses a A7N266-VM mobo, but whenever you pwer on the pc it refuses to boot but gives its CPU warning beep - no monitor etc. when i tried yesterday, it booted into XP fine althogh i havnt even moved the PC since yesterday. Im wondering whether its the PSU problem again but the fact that it makes the CPU warning beep hints not. The CPU is a new one, an exact replacement for the AMD Duron supplied with the mobo. The heatsink is the original but with a new thermaltake fan, ie the CPU warning is incorrect. im running the pc without the case panels on so its not a problem of heat build up within the case. Plz help!!
Moose

Mike Burns Sep 05, 2007, 08:27am EDT Report Abuse
Mike Burns said:
I built two computers using this MB about three years ago. One for me and one for my mother. The siren beeping sound has come and gone on both of these computers. It has been a while since I have enclountered this problem, but I think I tracked it down to two things. 1) The mother board was making intermittent contact with the case somewhere causing a short to ground. I could always get the MB to boot when it was not in its case. This may also be causing a stress fracture on the PCB due to the weight of the CPU and cooling fan when it is installed in the case.
or 2) This is my latest theory: If the CPU fan is not sensed as having high enough RPM at the correct time during boot up the MB will not boot. Possibly cleaning the fan or while reseatting the CPU, as some people have suggested, will get the fan cleared up enough to allow it to boot.

Hopefully this may help someone out. Both PC are running fine and have been for some time now. Great stable MB in my opinion except for the siren beep that shows up every so often.

I just moved into a new hoouse and I am getting the siren again. I came back here to see what I wrote 7 months ago. I am guessing reseating the CPU is the main problem. I need to get some thermal grease and see if reseating the CPU fixes the problem. Really stable motherboard as long as you don't move it around.

Matthew James Sep 05, 2007, 12:12pm EDT Report Abuse
Hello all,
I reckon that the problem is actually a BIOS problem as when I finally managed to fix the mobo in question in my previous post, I replaced the fan with one I had in stock, no result.
I reseated the cpu, no result.
I tried running the mobo out of the case, no result.
I tried running the mobo on a different power supply, no result.
I tried throwing the mobo over the fence and jumping on it, no result. (Only joking!!)
I flashed the BIOS. Result!!
For some reason, flashing the BIOS worked. Whereas before it woul boot intermittently, now it boots every time and has been used more or less every day since I fixed it (about a week after my last post).
Another solution to add to the list!
PM me if you want to know more...
Moose

Jaideep G.C. Oct 24, 2007, 01:56am EDT Report Abuse
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ , 40 GB HDD, CD RW, FDD, 256 mb x 1 PC2100 DDR.

Peculiar problem this........... have a defective PC2100 256 Mb RAM which works sporadically.......... system re-boots at will, hangs at times, does not hold my internet broadband link for long, etc.

Have updated to latest BIOS & have been trying to replace the RAM with a similiar PC2100 256 Mb module but the MB just does not accept the replacement. Tried several new similiar modules but the MB just won't read the memory.........long beeps all the time.

Have even re-set my CMOS & BIOS default settings and also checked jumper settings for proper CPU:DRAM setting.

Only my existing defective RAM is accepted by the MB.............so am constrained (for time being at least) to use my PC with all it's faults.

Some advice say MB memory area maybe faulty......another says the SMPS unit or the power section of the MB maybe defective...........I feel all just shooting in the dark.

Anybody with any concrete ideas please? Help required urgently.

Jaideep G.C. Oct 24, 2007, 04:01am EDT Report Abuse
Used Memtest 3.5 from HCI design........Works within windows...... shows memory errors like "pair 1662369 does not store values accurately" & "computer cannot store data accurately in RAM"............... I am assuming therefore that the problem is with my RAM module.

Could it be some problem instead on the Mobo memory area, PSU or elsewhere? Would such a problem show up on the memtest results as mentioned earlier?

Someone please enlighten me if you can...........am at my wit's end right now.

Pana Har Nov 08, 2007, 05:42pm EST Report Abuse
Is it possible to add a third hard disc to ASUS A7N266-VM SE?

Sumit Khadka Nov 23, 2007, 10:23pm EST Report Abuse
Hi I recently cleaned my old comp (which has an asus a7n266-vm). Now when I turn it on it starts clicking and wont boot up.

I was in a rush, and dont care about that machine much, so I might have damaged one of the diaodes (i think thats what they are called).

After the initial normal boot up beep from the motherboard.. i get a continues series of clicks that wont stop. The monitor shows the error "CMOS checksum error - Defults loaded". I replaced the internal mobo battery, and still got the error.

I've stripped the machine to bare hdd, ram, mobo, cpu, psu.. and still get the error. I'm pretty sure its not the cpu or ram, cos it gets displayed on the boot up screen.

Is there anyway to tell what the clicks mean?

Ryan Kaboskey Sep 11, 2009, 07:23pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Figured out No POST No Monitor No beeps Problem
MY Problem: MB LIghts up. CPU fan Spins. Thats it! No post no monitor

!!!!!!!!!!swapped 400W power supply with an older 300W power supply and it would post!!!!!!!

PICKY WITH POWER SUPPLIES!!!

I tried

changing the jumpers
clearing the cmos
swapping ram
reaseating the cpu
NON OF THIS WORKED FOR MY PROBLEM

Fernando Garcia Aug 06, 2010, 03:04pm EDT Report Abuse

Fernando Garcia Aug 06, 2010, 07:12pm EDT Report Abuse
I`d like to know if I could use a XP3000+ Barton FSB400 socket 462 on this mobo> A7N266-VM / VOL (without lan onboard) with 2x512mb DDR400mhz, jumper free mod activated, power suplly 450W. Could I get around 2700 mhz?

Helen Lister Sep 04, 2010, 09:24pm EDT Report Abuse

mark marksden Apr 25, 2012, 01:12am EDT Report Abuse
Ryan Kaboskey said:
MY Problem: MB LIghts up. CPU fan Spins. Thats it! No post no monitor

!!!!!!!!!!swapped 400W power supply with an older 300W power supply and it would post!!!!!!!

PICKY WITH POWER SUPPLIES!!!

I tried

changing the jumpers
clearing the cmos
swapping ram
reaseating the cpu
NON OF THIS WORKED FOR MY PROBLEM

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.