Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 801 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 07 - 11:26pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
Rich Kotarba Feb 08, 2005, 02:28pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee
I was a bit surprised today to have my system shut down for no apparent reason. I rebooted it only to have it shut down again a few minutes later. I could faintly hear, "System failed CPU test" coming out of the speaker. So of course I googled and found this forum, at/near the top of the list. For the most part this machine has been working properly for almost a year. It has been so stable that I have frequently pulled parts to test other machines, and this machine always worked great after putting it back together. I'm hoping it was just a glitch.

From what I have read on this post, my machine is similar to many here:

Intel 2.8 GHz Prescott
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
1 Gig Ram (specifically purchased for Hyperthreading, a matching pair)
(Was 2 Gig, but I took 1 Gig for another Machine)
GeForce FX 5200 video card

I guess there's no real purpose to my post, other than to add to the pile of people with this issue (although my machine has gone almost 3 hours without rebooting itself, and it only happened twice at this point)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
SuPeR Xp Feb 08, 2005, 03:31pm EST Report Abuse
Your problem may be resolved easer than you think.

First how long was it when you cleaned the CPU Heat sink & fan? You may have dust build up which will cause your CPU to Over Heat & then shut down to protect your CPU from damage.

Do this first, and then post back.

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Torsten Pihl Feb 08, 2005, 05:06pm EST Report Abuse
I had the same error. It turns out that I simply forgot to plug in the separate power connection near the CPU. That would also explain why the ALT-F2 EZFlash wouldn't work. Duh me.

Rich Kotarba Feb 10, 2005, 08:34pm EST Report Abuse
Thanks for the reply, but I don't believe my case has to do with dust. It happened again three times today. First time, I dropped something from my hand that fell and hit a power supply cord that was plugged into two case fans and a HD, the machine promptly shut down without warning. I then adjusted the cords and unplugged one of the fans. The second time was a few minutes later when I was plugging in a usb in the back of the machine(a replacement mouse keyboard that logitech was nice enough to send me). The third time was a short time later when I acidentally bumped the case with my knee.

Now that I think of it, one of the shutdowns the other day was when I was moving the USB extension that I plug my card reader into, the other was when I was trying to replug my monitor in.

It seems I may have a short/ground, or whatever it's called when the motherboard and the case come in contact. Kind of odd that it just happened. I really haven't messed with my setup in several months. Time to investigate. I really don't have the extra cash ATM to purchase a new board. Works fine though when I am not touching the case or trying to insert or plug things in.

On a side note, I really like this new mouse/keyboard combo(MX700). Makes a good replacement for the elite duo

Luis Rodriguez Feb 10, 2005, 10:22pm EST Report Abuse
Well as far I see here, many of you guys have almost the same problem or similar. But all are relate to the Asus mobo in special the P4P800 series. I send to them a mail asking why this mobo have so many problems and getting so bad reputation and reviews (now, before many PC and electronics magazines give a super review) and they dont reply to my mail.

So I call them and talk to a custumer representative (actualy a RMA support) and she (was a lady) tell me they know about this but she can't (the company dont let) make any comments about it and dont let talk about other problems this mobo have. But as I say was a lady (a good one) and in short words and I can say in spy words (encyption? hehehe) she toll me that asus will DISCONTINUE this model and even if you buy one this year (like me :-( I will cry) the garrantie will NOT be valid this will happend in January 2006.

Si this mean if you buy this board today dont expecting a full 3 years of RMA. Also she give this little hint. That if I can contact all the people I know (that is you guys) that have same or similar problem and send a lot of mail to asus asking what she toll me and is this....

1 - What is the real problem of this mobo and why many people as far I know have the same problem?
2 - The you plan to do a fix and resolve this problem sooner and how soon?
3 - If this can't be solve, I need to know if you plan to collect this mobo and make a replacement for another similar model.

Well I hope this help a little bit, but there is something very important that she mention (in some way as I say in spy or complex word) this mobo appears to have a lot of problems and if I understand right. appears the mobo have problem with cold solder points, if the retention system of the CPU is clip too tide is short the board and this one I get it very well. Appears that the power connector near the memory modules also make a short in solder points.

If I get any other info or respond from them, I let you know

SuPeR Xp Feb 11, 2005, 04:29pm EST Report Abuse
O.K. unplug everything in your computer & only have the Graphic's Card plugged in.
See if it Boots up. Now step by step, after it boots up successfully, turn off your computer & this time insert one of your DDR RAM modules, and repeat the process over & over while adding your PC pieces back. You may have a faulty Power Supply or something is not plugged in properly.

michel gagnon Feb 12, 2005, 04:51am EST Report Abuse
well jeez.. this sux ... called, emailed, sent letters and nothing ... i just cant believe that asus would act like that ... kinda scary ... and the worst its that, unlike most of you, it only happens when i start playing some games ( everquest ) ... so freaking anoying ... anyways i had to rant lol

Jason C Feb 21, 2005, 03:44pm EST Report Abuse
Same problem here as well... have had my system for little more than a year now without a single problem at all. Just recently I started having the same annoying message. My system is:

P4S800D-E Deluxe mobo
Intel P4 2.8c HT cpu
400w generic psu
1gig ddr ram
80gig Western Digital SATA HD
Ati 9600xt

Tried everything as well (putting my cpu in wife comp & hers in mine, unseating video card, etc...) nada worked. I can not get my floppy drive to work at all, tried different floppy drives and cables (I have supply of these from other comps I have built and people didn't want em) so I am unable to update my BIOS when I can get the comp to boot.Spent the last hour or so reading every post in this thread and is saddens me that ASUS has taken such a no responibility stance on this long standing issue with these boards. I think I am just going to buy a MSI board and stop buying ASUS products all together.

One thing I might try is to pop in my old 350w psu which is in a box somewhere in the void that is my closet here in our comp room and see how it goes, but that still wont help me not being able to get my Floppy drive to work to update the BIOS (I have 1006 and need to get 1008 installed).

mothow Feb 21, 2005, 03:58pm EST Report Abuse
I get that cpu didnt pass the test cpu is unworkable thing sometimes when i boot up i just hit delete and it goes right to the bios screen then i restart,But i have a abit mobo so maybe its differnt

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 / i7 4790K / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 / 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD / 2x Evga GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI / Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty / Corsair HX1000w
Jason C Feb 21, 2005, 04:39pm EST Report Abuse
Well small update finally got my computer to boo tup and stay running long enough to get the ASUS LiveUpdate thingy to work and I was able to update my BIOS to 1008..... have a newb question though I went from 1006 to 1008 .... should I have done 1007 before 1008 or does updating to 1008 from 1006 include stuff i didn't get in 1007?

Reason I ask is because i also skipped 1005 (way back when) which was the update to fix the SATA HD detection prob during boot and I still get that message when booting...

TIA :D

Grant Buckler Feb 22, 2005, 02:13pm EST Report Abuse
Having the same problem, spec is...
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD (Winchester) Athlon 64bit 3500+
Crucial 512mb DDR 400MHz PC3200 x2
Asus V9999GT/ TD 256MB GeForce 6800GT 256MB DDR3
Antec TRUE430PGB True Power 430W ATX Power Supply.

Aswell as the CPU failing the power test, the monitor is failing to receive a signal from 2 diff card both of which work in my old system (2nd card is radeon 9500). Just sent my CPU back for a replacement but wishing i had sent mboard. anyone know why no signal is sent to the monitor

Alfons Gabner Feb 25, 2005, 09:22am EST Report Abuse

SuPeR Xp Feb 25, 2005, 09:45am EST Report Abuse
I'm using 1010 Beta for my Asus A8V Deluxe. Seems allot more stable in OC's.

Aaron Gallagher Feb 26, 2005, 03:52pm EST Report Abuse
Well I just got the error voice message "System failed CPU test." I had a weird problem last night where my system went into standby and wouldn't come out. I did a hard boot and it worked fine. This morning I was reading the news online and it just shut off. I tried to restart and thats when I got the message.

I reseated my processor and memory and it didn't help. I blew out all the dust in my case and no help. I swapped video cards (9800 pro to an old ATI 7200) and it booted up fine, also reset the BIOS to defaults. So for what it's worth give it a shot. I have a feeling either my 9800 pro is bad or just needs to be reseated. I have not put it back in yet because I need to backup all my files!!! This sucks!!!

My system:
p4p800-e deluxe
3.0C @ 3.45 with BIG Zalman copper flower cooler
1 gig corsair value ram (2x512)
Radeon 9800 pro OC'd 15% with Arctic Cooler
6 case fans

SuPeR Xp Feb 27, 2005, 02:12am EST Report Abuse
Well, your system looks like it's getting allot of cool air in there. So, it's probably not a heat problem.

Could very well be the 9800 Pro. Is it OC'ed?

May need to take it back for another one maybe:)

SuPeR Xp Mar 09, 2005, 11:10pm EST Report Abuse
Try uping the VCore by .025 or something. This may help............................

Luis Rodriguez Mar 09, 2005, 11:22pm EST Report Abuse
Sorry, the before message dont appears.

Well I finaly setup my system, I update the BIOS to 1019 update drivers.And the (finger cross) mobo still working. But I notice some extrange things, maybe some of you guys can help me or find a way.

The memory installed is a Kingstom (2 of 512mb) as Asus recomend in the list. this memory is 400Mhz DDR and I install this on the blue ones as the manual say. But the mobo see this as 333Mhz, I enter the bios and set this to 400 but still get this.

Another weird thing, is the drives (HD's and CD's Roms) dont appears on the post screen, but appear on the bios screen.

And the Asus Probe software when I try to install say "the motherboard is not Asus" !!

Any help or subgestion are welcome.

Asus P4P800 Deluxe
Intel P4 3.2Ghz L2 1M
Kingstom 512MB x 2 (1 Gig total)
GForce 5200 DRR256 MB

Luis
Sound Blaster Live

SuPeR Xp Mar 09, 2005, 11:25pm EST Report Abuse
Man, I think the problem is ASUS.

Have you checked your CD/DVD & hard drives to make sure you have them set correctly 'Master" "Slave" etc.?

John J Mar 10, 2005, 10:56pm EST Report Abuse
same prob as everyone else...

P4P800E Deluxe
PIV 3.2
Geforce 6800GT

Computer has been up and running for about 3 months with no probs. The other day I was booting up CS:Source and suddenly my mouse and screen froze. Rebooted my machine and everything came up ok but the minute I tried to start CS again same problem. Tried rebooting again and got the Failed CPU Test alert. I thought it might have been a heating issue so I let the rig cool down. Booted it up about 30min later but same problem. Came to these boards and read all the tips. I reseated my vidcard and pulled and reseated all the power cables to the mobo and the vidcard...now it boots up no prob.

The Real Robert Jones Mar 10, 2005, 11:06pm EST Report Abuse
Hmm, I have an Asus K8V SE Deluxe, and this happened to me a few times in the past too. I don't have any clue what causes it, or how it's fixed for that matter. All I know is that my 'system failed CPU test' two times in a row, I turned off computer, and reseated the CPU and HSF, and everything worked again. Could that be the solution? I'm not sure, I would give a try though. We talked about this a long time ago in my forums too; it appears to be an Asus glitch from what I hear/understand. Asus says quite the opposite to me, claiming that it is a "user created issue, but we'd be happy to RMA." I don't know how you can go from a perfectly fine system to a screwed up one from just opening Firefox. Werd.

-------------------------------------------
Owner of:
PSP3D.com
MyGamingSpace.com
GoogleUsers.org
Xhardwarereviews.com (now R.I.P.)

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.