Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1289 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 21 - 10:40pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
mike sarkadi Apr 08, 2006, 02:34am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee
rob! check to see if the cpu fan is spinning..you may have clamped the cpu clamp on too tight causing the fan not to spin...this is why u get cpu fan error... but the failed cpu test could be any card on your pc..start pulling cards one at a time till the message goes away... in my case it was my graphics card... pull every card till u get no message...if u still get message after pulling all the cards..then the only thing left is the cpu.. ram.. or power supply.... it's not the board!... honestly though i think its your graphics card...pull it and start it with no card....if message goes away or changes..it's that card

I'll gladly take your board if you dont want it. but honestly...it takes 10 to 15 min to figure it out. My graphics card lasted only 2 years...how old is your card?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
RobNyc Apr 08, 2006, 06:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey mike
I'll see where I can get a cheap better card than the 9250 Radeon the Asus a9250 suppose to be and try it out
I can get a PCIE nvidia 6600 256 for $50 but you know this board doesnt support PCIE unfortunately

Well I got this pc in May 2005 . I didnt build it, and this pc has water cooling system installed, so I dont know about any cpu fan error other than the water cooling fan which works . I was using OSX86 I hope that didnt cause the problem, I had 2 weeks running it and 2 days uptime

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/ttbigwater/ thats what i got

http://www.dslreports.com/speak/slideshow/15727325?c=984414&am...MyNQ%3D%3D and thats the pc itself

So the first error was system failed cpu test, but before that a really bad smell was going. Of course all the smells comes through the power supply but I heard any hardware will still give you the smell through the power supply, after a few days/weeks it was cpu fan error, then none of them, but i didnt have a boot device

mike sarkadi Apr 08, 2006, 06:42pm EDT Report Abuse
Before u spend any money ...start pulling cards till the message goes away... dont waste your money..it can be any card and even the cpu...start with the graphics card first. Make sure the power is off between pulls.

If you need a good graphics card the geforce 7800 gs is suppose to be a nice agp card.
geforce fx 5500 is pretty cheap to get if u want to save money... you'll get an ok 75 frames per second and a lifetime warranty on the BFG overclocked model.
As far as the smell goes.. who knows... i didnt smell nothing.

anyway...u have to figure it out first before u buy parts for nothing...start pulling!

By the way... what kind of cpu temperature were you getting with the water cooler??... i get 36 degrees celcius with my stock fan (96 fahrenheit)

I also noticed you have the p4p 800 deluxe board.... its close to the same board with a cheaper chipset on it... I have one of those too lol it's the only dual channel memory board asus still makes for socket 478.
The higher end boards with the better chipset is only available on server boards now.

mike sarkadi Apr 08, 2006, 07:14pm EDT Report Abuse
in your last message you said .." after a few days/weeks it was cpu fan error, then none of them" are you saying there is no voice message now? are you getting any beeps when u start it and is the green light on the mobo lit when you power it up?

RobNyc Apr 09, 2006, 05:11pm EDT Report Abuse
Not Sure, I gotta see online where I can find the mobo manual so I can see where each cable goes because my cousin is pretty busy as usual so I want to do it on my own and see what I get now. What ya think?

mike sarkadi Apr 09, 2006, 11:48pm EDT Report Abuse
when people have brains they take the sticker of the skematics that come with the mobo and stick it on the inside of the case... but i don't see why you need that unless you already took it apart. the manual itself wont help you mutch..but a magnifying glass and that sticker will. If you haven;t taken it apart you don't really need the manual or the skematics.... you just have to turn the power off and open the case and follow the cable from your monitor to the back of the case and you'll see it's plugged into a circuit board ( a card ) that's connected to the motherboard. all you need is a small screwdriver to remove the screw inside the case that holds the card and you can easily pull it out...dont forget to turn the power off and unplug the monitor cable from the back of the pc. After you have done that start up the pc.... if failed cpu test voice message is gone,,then its that card...if message is same then try the next card..there are a few cards on the back of the pc connected to the motherboard. If you pull any wires that connect to these cards just mark them with tape and write on the tape where u pulled it from.
For me I don't need to do any of this..i just know where the wires go... most of them are case connectors and fan sensors anyway and the rest are pretty obvious. I know the board by heart...and you can see the connector description written on the mobo too with a good magnifying glass lol... and the wires from the case are usually marked too.... but you don't have to touch any of that if you haven't taken the mobo out of the case or taken it apart yet.
It's hard to put a finger on the culprit because a 350 watt power supply is minimal and you have water cooling, but p4 cpu's are designed to clock down when they overheat if the fan fails so the last thing I would look at is the cpu..... and before you spend any money on a power supply it costs nothing to pull the cards to see if the message goes away...If you still get the failed cpu test message after pulling all the cards then you have narrowed it down to either the ram or the power supply. But from my experience it was the graphics card and it takes 5 minutes to find out and it costs you nothing.
Good luck

RobNyc Apr 11, 2006, 12:14am EDT Report Abuse
My powersupply is 500w lol
I'l see what i'll do after this week

jojo loki Apr 11, 2006, 04:57am EDT Report Abuse
Got same issue :

I bought my computer like 18 months ago. It ran fine, really smooth, never had a single issue, till 3 months ago.

Without doing anything special (no flashing, no overclocking, etc) I couldnt boot anymore and was getting the "System Failed - Cpu Test" error message on the speakers.

Then ive done what everyone do in this case, unplug everything, clean it up etc. then tried to reboot and got same error again. 2 days after it, my computer just restarted fine like nothing went wrong. why not.

Two months later, same deal, "System Failed CPU test" and once again after few days of unplug/replug, the comps restarted itself without any components change.

Then 1 month later, same issue, but this time, i did the same but the issue wont resolve itself after 10 days.

Something is dying slowly ... but what ... ? or maybe a short-circuit ?

With only CPU - MB - PSU, im still getting the same error.

What shall i do ? test cpu on another mb, test another cpu on my board, same with psu ?

The problem is i cant really access someone else computer and test it around =)

so i guess changing on of those 3 components should solve it, but what one ? i saw on forums etc, that the problems can come from anywhere... its really wierd issue tbh, worked fine for so long.

Thanks for any tips or help.

Comp specs:
ASUS p4p800-e deluxe
Nvidia Geforce FX5900
Antec true powersupply
P4 2.8c

RobNyc Apr 11, 2006, 02:15pm EDT Report Abuse
So its definately either the CPU or Mobo in my opinion
My powersupply is so super clean inside so it couldn't of burned, and if it did it wouldnt turn on
Damn.. I don't wanna spend money on a little better card than the ASUS A9250 (radeon 9250) and then know it didn't fix it.

mike sarkadi Apr 12, 2006, 11:56am EDT Report Abuse
Holly moses... I give up helping you. It's definitely NOT the motherboard or the cpu. How old are you 12 years old? I can fix it in 5 min..but no matter what I tell you it doesn't sink in... why don't you pay a technitian 50 bucks to fix it and stop wasting my time. Do I have to repeat myself 3 times and tell u again and again to pull the card and start it without the card. I'm not into your games any more. You deserve to pay to replace every part from your ingnorance. Your opinion means nothing because you haven't a clue how to fix a pc. You think its the cpu now and u haven't even tried pulling the cards... i will ignore all your posts for now on.

_MD_ Apr 12, 2006, 12:13pm EDT Report Abuse
mike, you have a point, but just a word of advice, please have a patience when trying to make a statement.
just give the guy a break...

If we all would disrespect other members like this, this forum would turn into a chaos and getting help would be impossible here.

___________________MD_____________________
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=333177
_______ Full system specs in user profile ________
mike sarkadi Apr 12, 2006, 08:51pm EDT Report Abuse
I apologise..I really want to help but some people have thick brains.. first of all...you can disconect the cpu fan on a p4 system and they are designed to clock down so you cannot fry the cpu on a p4. If you did that on an athlon not only would you fry the cpu...but possibly the mobo too. I used to fix 100 circuit boards a day... and I tell ya.... they put so much testing on a circuit board before they ship it out...they also cook the boards at high temperature to simulate 8 years of use and final quality asurance... bottom line... they don;t sell you bad boards. The last thing you want to look at is the motherboard or the cpu...in fact the p4c 800 e deluxe boards are thee best NO 1 Board in the world for the socket 478 system..there is no better board in existence. All the new socket 775 technology today is based on overclocked socket 478 technology.

I will also tell you that AGP is on its way out because AGP cannot get enuf power from the motherboard like PCI express can.... this is why its all changed. The highest end AGP cards will cost you more than a pci express card because of this fact. AGP is pushing its last straw and have gotten as fast as they will ever get. The Agp slot just can;t keep up with the power of a pci express slot

Bottom line... High end AGP cards don't last..and it's not uncommon to fry an AGP card in 2 years.

And also "system fail cpu test" can mean any card is fried.... I have seen the same message from a fried 56 k modem..in the old days when motherboards didnt talk the first thing anyone would have done was check the graphics card..... no screen no sound... bingo let's check the graphics card.
This beautifull feature they have added makes it easier to fix the PC.. all you have to do is pull cards till the voice message is gone... a no brainer!

mike sarkadi Apr 12, 2006, 09:11pm EDT Report Abuse
hey JOJO..if you pulled all your cards and still get the same message then I would look at the power supply. If you haven't tried pulling all the cards do that first and start it up with no cards. You can figure it out without spending a dime easily... but of course you have to buy the part once u narrow it down.

For me it was my graphics card..i had the slow death too..sometimes it would start... but eventually it woudn't any more.

Asus makes good boards, my pc has been running for 2 years ..24/7... i never turn it off ever and it has never crashed even once.

Asus P4C - 800 E deluxe Mobo (i875p chipset the best!)
1 gig Corsair pc 3200 (DDR 400) dual xms ram 2- 500meg Matched pair of sticks
Intel pentium 4 @ 3.2 gig 800 mhz fsb
BFG Geforce FX 5500 Overclocked
Fujitsu 8.3 gig SCSI drive
Maxtor IDE 160 gig drive (133)
Maxtor IDE 80 gig drive (133)
Liteon cd burner 48x
Liteon cd rom 52x
Creative webcam
Labtek speakers
Antec Soho file server II case / 400 watt power
IDE controller card
My case will hold 10 hard drives

I have 2 primary masters and 2 primary slaves
1 have 2 secondary masters and 2 secondary slaves
1 have 3 scsi/raid/ide controllers too
i have an extra asus mobo on hand still new and extra 3.2 gig cpu on hand still new and and extra power supply on hand still new and 2 extra sticks of corsair ram on hand.. all i need is a case and a hard drive and i have another identical pc... I'll probably give it to the wife.
I have 3 older graphics cards..2 are obsolete and one is fried. In fact i go through about 3 graphics cards per 5 years. they are always the first to go.
My older system is 8 years old and still running and I never had to change the power supply in it ever. But i went through 4 graphics cards with that one.
My system is capable of 3 terrabytes of storage.... 10 - 300 gig hard drives ..it rocks - Asus all the way baby!

By the way..my last graphics card was an asus ti 4200...it came stock at about 60 frames per second... the best cards today pump about 110 to 120 stock.... I had my last graphics card pumping 1020 frames per second lol... but i only did it for a couple weeks lol ands then turned it back down.
I have fried Maxtor hard drives in as little as 6 months...but that Fujistsu SCSI hard drive I have is 9 years old and still going.. it was expensive but worth every penny!

RobNyc Apr 12, 2006, 11:42pm EDT Report Abuse
Wow I missed something, you are harsh man .
I'm gonna try today starting the PC without the hard-drive, dvdrw and all.

Right now its sitting in my closet just the PC (CPu, Mobo, Water cooling system, powersupply and vid card)
Tomorrow will try this, but I gotta plug in my speakers or headphones to see if i hear anything

I dont see where the cpu fan error would be , because the water cooling system takes care of that , thats why there is water cooling i suppose.

I didnt build this pc, I been using it since May 2005 until the beg of Feb 2006 I was running OSX86
http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/P4P800-E%20DX/e186...deluxe.pdf
I found this and I know what to do now so far.

So wish me luck thanks all of you

mike sarkadi Apr 13, 2006, 03:16am EDT Report Abuse
no need to disconect any of the drives..you need an operating system if it starts up... if the drives were bad you would get a screen message on startup just pull the cards.

the cpu fan connector needs to be connected near the cpu it's a white 3 pin connector...there are 3 of those connectors on the board that looks the same...it has to be the one near the cpu. the other 2 are power fan and chassis fan... if you look with a magnifying glass on the mobo the one near the cpu says CPU FAN... the other 2 are together on the top of the board labelled PWR FAN and CHA FAN. If the fan is connected at the right place and you still get cpu fan error after u fix failed cpu test then buy another fan they are cheap.
If the cpu fan is connected to the power fan or the chassis fan connector it will still work but you will get cpu fan error.
If you put a faster cpu in it while it was down then you would get system fail due to overclocking but you would not hear it until after you fixed the failed cpu test error first,,at that point you would have to reset the cmos or put the old cpu back in.
That guide wont help you much either I have 2 of them....all it says is contact asus technical support for the error...and asus will tell you to pull it apart and start with cpu only...then ram ..then cards ...easier to pull the cards one at a time than rip it apart.

RobNyc Apr 13, 2006, 11:05am EDT Report Abuse
I remember reseting the cmos I think it is, I switched the lil stuff turned it on, turned it back off and after I booted again I didn't hear no error message or saw any.. It was saying no boot device this time but lets see.
Time to test now

Since this pc is water cooled its different because all those extra fans you guys talking about is probably replaced by this

Matt Seil Apr 13, 2006, 11:25am EDT Report Abuse
>>>>Holly moses... I give up helping you. It's definitely NOT the motherboard or the cpu. How old are you 12 years old? I can fix it in 5 min..but no matter what I tell you it doesn't sink in... why don't you pay a technitian 50 bucks to fix it and stop wasting my time. Do I have to repeat myself 3 times and tell u again and again to pull the card and start it without the card. I'm not into your games any more. You deserve to pay to replace every part from your ingnorance. Your opinion means nothing because you haven't a clue how to fix a pc. You think its the cpu now and u haven't even tried pulling the cards... i will ignore all your posts for now on.<<<<

Tried with a different Vid card, no other parts installed. Still got the error. Tried my CPU in friend's PC, and his in mine. Still got the error. Tried different RAM chips. Still got the error. Best solution: Dump Asus and pick up another manufacturer. His specific problem might be as you state, but mine definitely wasn't, especially when the new board came back, and repeated the problem.

_MD_ Apr 13, 2006, 02:31pm EDT Report Abuse
In one of the threads here at HWA, I've read that some people dicovered that the cause for this is the cpu fan+heatsink is pressed too tight against the socket. Try loosening it abit... might help

edit: =)

___________________MD_____________________
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=333177
_______ Full system specs in user profile ________
RobNyc Apr 14, 2006, 02:42am EDT Report Abuse
I tried with and without the card ... without the card I didn't hear no message but I only tried once
but I stopped because once again I started getting the bad smell from the power supply like burnt beans does this means is definately the power supply ? this is a 500w PSU, I have a 250w that I can try on or is that too little watts ?

mike sarkadi Apr 14, 2006, 09:10pm EDT Report Abuse
Rob,,,if you tried starting it without the video card and got no message...then it's the video card...your problem is now solved.... but if it's smells like somethings burning your water cooling may not be working properly either...you'll have to put a graphics card in it and it will start...once u get it started you will have to check the cpu temperature and see if its getting hotter than 40 degrees celcius... or disconect the water cooling and put a cheap fan on the cpu...in your case both messages are gone when you pull the graphics card...it's your graphics card and I was right all along. If you think your power supply is melting inside then take it out of the case and plug it in alone...and then tell me if smells.... but for now change your graphics card..it will start now. (put your hand near the exhaust fan air that is coming from the power supply and tell me if it's hot too!)

and Matt if you put your cpu in friends pc and got same message in his Pc then its the cpu for you. If you put your cpu in friends pc and it worked in his pc then for you it's the power supplly. Nothing wrong with Asus... but lot's wrong with the user. Send me your motherboard when you give up I'll gladly take it.
You also said you tried with the graphics card alone and still got the message....try starting it with no graphics card.... and if theres no message when the graphics card is out then it's the graphics card... if you still get the message starting it with no graphics card then its either cpu or power supply.
Your almost there dude.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.