Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1405 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 21 - 11:12pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
mike sarkadi Apr 30, 2006, 02:35pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee
hey Aj...did you pull all the cards?.. do you have other cards on it like a modem or a sound card or a nic card?...strip it to only cpu and mobo...since you already changed the psu...and if you stripped all the cards and still get the message with no cards or ram in it then it;s either cpu or mobo.... also check to see if there is a power connecter on your graphics card that connects to the power supply....make sure all the power connectors to the mobo from the power supply are connected too.
It's also possible to put the cpu fan on too tight...they are a bit tricky...you can put the fan on the cpu so tight that the fan won't spin.or spin little. .even I have done that and the system will run 2 times hotter..like at about 70 degrees celcius.
Socket 775 systems run a bit hotter.... your normal cpu temp should be about 40 - 42 degrees celcius... but it will still run as high as 70 degrees.... but if its that hot your cpu fan on too tight. If you ran it real hot for a long time it's possible to cause a short on the mobo.. after trying everything then your down to a magnifying glass looking for shorts..or send the mobo back ( but don't do that yet...first we try all the options)
Also when you handled the cpu or mobo it's possible to fry them with static electricity..it's good to ground yourself by holding on to the chassis while fixing pc (while it's plugged in while the power supply is off)
Also if you talk on the phone while fixing pc you can fry the pc from the static from the phone.
A power bar is also a must for every pc..it protects the pc from power surges. I have seen both Tv's and computers that got fried from electrical storms. I have been hit by lightning once in my basement while i was working on the electrical for my water pump...I had the main breaker off...and lighgtning hit my well and went through the wiring in my house to the basement and struck me... luckily I was wearing steel toed work boots at the time lol. Nos**t..i got hit by lightning in my basement (it went through the house wiring not the walls)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
ajm iv Apr 30, 2006, 02:59pm EDT Report Abuse
hey Mike, I didn't pull all the cards together so ONLY the cpu and mobo were connected. I pulled the cards individually and tested that way. The system runs between 36-44 C now with the new heat / sink and fan so I do not think these are on too tight. Could I get the issue with them being too tight but not over heating too?

I'll double check the graphics power supply and test the mobo and cpu on their own. I'll post my results after I try this.

Thanks for the response.

mike sarkadi Apr 30, 2006, 04:13pm EDT Report Abuse
Your system is fairly new and I have not worked on socket 775 yet... but diagnosing it is still very much the same. Tell me.... does your cpu have pins?
I would preffer a socket 478 system with a 3.4 gig cpu any day than have socket 775 personally cause the latter uses a lot more power and runs hotter.

mike sarkadi Apr 30, 2006, 05:08pm EDT Report Abuse
Check out the charts at the bottom of this link.... My p4c- 800 board with the i875p chipset is still faster than your socket 775 system for games..it blows away socket 775 on most of the graphs... but the p4p - 800 board doesn't. http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/roundupmobo/i915-i925-chipsets.html
Socket 775 also uses 50% more power and runs too hot for ATX..it should be BTX.
This is why I will stay with my system and skip socket 775 altogether cause they still haven't perfected it yet.

mike sarkadi Apr 30, 2006, 09:21pm EDT Report Abuse
What temperature is your mobo running at by the way? Normal would be about 29 degrees celcius....and how long was it running too hot for before you changed the cpu fan...and how hot was it running at before?

I ran my cpu at 70 degrees for 2 months 24/7... it slowed down quite a lot but I couldn't fry it... it's still going today but im running it at 36 degrees now.

Also.. if your running asus pc probe you can look back in time when your pc was having trouble.. when you have it running look in the history section for large fluctuations in 12v ... 5v... 3.3v and Vcore settings.

It would also help if you post your whole system here so I know exactly what you have..and if you have an atx power supply.... but basically..if only the cpu in it and your getting the message after you changed the power supply...your left with trying the cpu in another pc basically... or it's a guess between the mobo and the cpu... guesses can be expensive. I'm wondering if you connected all the power wires in the right place..or even mounted the cpu correctly as well... or even a short..... slow death means somethings going...and i'm even wondering about your power supply if it really is new too lol... I have baught new parts before and have been sold core returns either by accident or on purpose.(who knows) they all look new and its hard to tell. I also baught a graphics card once too ..it was new and fried..so i took it back the next day and exchanged it. Just because it's new doesn't mean it works lol.

RobNyc May 01, 2006, 01:36pm EDT Report Abuse
Well ... Amd rules in Desktop, Intel in Mobile

Amd rules Intel in Gaming/Multimedia and Price :)
Intel rules Amd in Office Production mainly

Supposely amd run cooler than intel, but in reality they're pretty much all the same

mike sarkadi May 01, 2006, 01:52pm EDT Report Abuse
Hmmm... Intel runs cooler than Amd...Amd is easier to fry... just turn off the cpu fan... intel clocks down,,Amd fries

ajm iv May 12, 2006, 12:41pm EDT Report Abuse
Ok Here we go: Sorry it took so long to reply I've been just turning it on , getting cpu failure and turn it off/on and the pc boots up.

I did what you guys suggested and took every card out and memory sticks out etc....

Turned pc on with ONLY the cpu and power supply and it fired right up without the 'cpu failure' error. Did get the vga and memory quick error. Due to those cards pulled. Replaced graphics card and got no 'cpu error' message But did get a BIOS overclockeing error at start up to enter BIOS and fix in there. I am not over clocking so I don't why this came up.?

From there I replaced the memory and started getting message again. Took memory out and swapped around sticks with the 'cpu error' message. Took memory stick completely out to see if I had pin pointed the source of the error being the memory sticks and with ONLY the graphics card in the pc received the 'cpu error' message again. ( no idea what it is then).

Turned off/on again and pc booted up but then gave me a 'system failed vga test' . Turned off/on again and it booted up fine. This is the first time I received the vga error.

If I took everything out and did not get the 'cpu error' could it be my graphics card slowly going or the memory? This is SO FRUSTRATING ! ! Also , to answer your question the chip has NO pins.

Here is everything in the pc as you asked:
Asus p5ad2-e premium mobo
vga leadtek 6600gt graphics
cpu- P4/3.4 ghz 800LGA775
ddr2 512 X 2 = 1Gb
sony 1.44mb floppy
HD 160Gb Maxtor Sata
DVD+RW Lite-on

Thanks again guys for the help and assistance. I'm really lost in what to do.

Juha Palomaki May 20, 2006, 01:21pm EDT Report Abuse
I have P4PE800. The system has been running really fine for something like 2 years. Yesterday it started telling me standard message "SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST". The machine has AOPEN PSU. I changed CPU, no help. I stripped all cards (network, display) away, no help. I removed the other dimm, no help.

** The problem was fixed when I changed the PSU (to Nexus) **

I don't know what caused the problem. I just tested the small 2x2 connector on the PSU and it was working OK (supplying 12V). I didn't try out the mobo connector of the psu, so there could be some trouble with the other voltages.

jojo loki May 20, 2006, 02:19pm EDT Report Abuse
I've finally been able to get another cpu and psu to test my P4P800-e deluxe....

Still getting the error message.... so i decided to buy another MB ... let's see if it works again in few days.

mike sarkadi May 20, 2006, 02:54pm EDT Report Abuse
Ajm..it sounds to me like its your memory sticks...if you have no "system fail cpu test" message with just the cpu in it and the power supply...and then the message starts when you add the ram sticks next...then its the ram sticks.
You will get an overclocking message if you tried another cpu that is not the same speed as the original and didnt reset the cmos......and in some cases for other reasons. .....you want to get rid of the failed cpu test message..and more or less the others go away too.

mike sarkadi May 20, 2006, 03:44pm EDT Report Abuse
what a sec...AJM your confusing me
start with cpu and power supply only...no message right?
ok..add the ram and start it up.... if u have message then its the ram...if no message proceed to next
add the graphics card...if the message starts here then its the graphics card ,,if no message add another card and so on
Disregard all other messages,,its the system fail cpu test message your trying to get rid of.

ajm iv May 21, 2006, 11:23am EDT Report Abuse
Mike, Yes,No error message with only the cpu and motherboard.

No error message with just graphics card.

I did get the error message with the ram but after I got the message I pulled the ram and graphics card out and ONLY put in the graphics card and got the error message again.

mike sarkadi May 21, 2006, 03:31pm EDT Report Abuse
AJm.... you are contradicting yourself....first you say...no message with graphics card....then u say u have the message with the graphics card.

Do this:
Start with cpu only...no message! ...if no message add ram

now u have cpu ram and power supply connected only..... do you get a message? If you get a message here it's the ram...if there is no message.... leave the ram in and now add Graphics card.
(note: the message i'm reffering to is "system fail cpu test" disregard other messages)

You have to follow a sequence of adding parts in a certain order too...cpu..ram..then cards..or in reverse order by pulling them...once you add the ram after cpu only and get no message u leave it in.....skipping adding the ram and putting the graphics card in with no ram is the wrong order and will confuse you.
\
Now u have cpu...ram .. power supply and graphics card connected...if the message starts here...then its the graphics card.... if the message started when u added the ram..then its the ram

when there is no change when you add a part...you leave it in.

From what confusing info you are giving me..im assuming the message starts when you add the graphics card..if this is so...then its your graphics card.

I just reread your previous post and you put the graphics card in without the ram..no wonder your stumped...follow the correct sequence and you figure it out in 5 minutes.
Good luck.

RobNyc May 23, 2006, 03:11pm EDT Report Abuse
I just learned that when it says System Failed CPU test just means theres a problem but you have to keep checking where it is

Jerry Watts May 29, 2006, 03:57pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST""

mike sarkadi May 29, 2006, 06:20pm EDT Report Abuse
Sounds to me like you are one of the unlucky few who got a bad board. It happens, but is not always everyones case. In this case just send the board back and they will give you a new one. If they send it back then it wasn't the board to begin with.

Donald Iain Smith Jun 02, 2006, 11:44am EDT Report Abuse
I just want to thank everybody who posted something here, especially Mike Sarkadi.
Recently I bought a very nice used computer from a girlfriend's nephew. It worked flawlessly for around three weeks and then, suddenly, started speaking to me. At first, intermittently, then more often, and, finally, incessantly, occasionally to the point of rebooting all by itself. Yep: "System failed CPU test". As of yesterday it had got so bad that I could get no more than a minute ouof t before it shut down again.
Apart from almost continuous "System failed CPU test" I also heard occasionally "System failed due to overclocking" and "CPU fan failed". The system is not overclocked, and the fans all work (although they were spectacularly dusty, and so I vacuumed them very carefully).
Now here is the specification of the system, most of which is gobbledegook to me :)
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Gold Dual LAN nForce 2 Dual Channel DDR 400 AGP8X serial ATA Firewire.
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 333MHz FSB
Cooling: Nexus AXP-3200 SkiveTek Silent (socket 370)
2 x Major Brand 512 MB PC3200 DDR(400) SDRAM DIMM 184pin
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB 7200rpm Ultra ATA133
Samsung Spinpoint 160GB 7200rpm SATA-150 8MB cache
Sapphire ATI 9600XT Atl AGP TV-out DVI 128MB DDR Radeon Display Adapter
Sony FDD 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Plextor PX-W5224TA 52x 24x 52x IDE CD-Rewriter
NEC ND-2500 8x DVD+/-R DVD+/-RW
Creative Inspire P580 5.1 Digital Dolby
After reading all the pages of the discussion on this topic, I took a deep breath and began the operation.
Removed the Sapphire card and switched on: "System failed VGA test" and "System failed CPU test", which seemed logical. Switched off.
Replaced the Sapphire card and switched on: "System failed CPU test". Switched off.
Removed on of the DIMM strips and switched on, and what do you know? No talking! And the system has been running for almost an hour and the woman inside is still silent. So I guess that the problem is in the DIMM strip (which I may replace if I notice that it makes any difference to performance, and I'm not a gamer at all).
So take courage. Don't get mad, check systematically. What started out as a nuisance - that incessant message - is actually a blessing in disguise. Pity it isn't more specific, but what do you expect from a woman? Joke!

Jerry Watts Jun 02, 2006, 12:44pm EDT Report Abuse

Donald Iain Smith Jun 03, 2006, 03:57am EDT Report Abuse
Of course I spoke to soon.
This morning when I switched on I got "System failed CPU test" again, incessantly.
So I switched off and repeated the tests.
Removing the second of the three DIMM strips made no difference. Even without all three DIMMs the warning is still given.
Removing the Sapphire card made no difference, this time I didn't even hear "System failed VGA test". I did, however, notice that with the Sapphire card back in, the monitor isn't being driven. So I started up the old computer - with the same monitor - and checked if it worked.
All very mysterious and annoying. I think I might try another VGA card.
But if anyone has any suggestions they will be welcome.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.