Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1491 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 21 - 10:59pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
Donald Iain Smith Aug 17, 2006, 10:41am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee
Before doing anything rash I had another browse through all of the threads for all of the various spoken warnings which the motherfu.. sorry motherboard produces.
You know what? Power supply gets mentioned a lot.
The I had a good think about strategy.
Motherboard has a guarantee for 3 years, so I have a couple of months yet, and is quite expensive.
Power supply had a guarantee for 2 years, already expired, is handy as a reserve component and is not very expensive.
I've tried the video and sound cards in other PCs and didn't find any problems.
The memory strips seem to work elsewhere, too.
The fans all work (and the CPU fan has already been replaced).
And so I decided to buy a new power supply.
Asked for a slightly more powerful device than the installed 350W, without flashing LEDs, and paid EUR45 for a 420W unit.
Fitted in, and the nice lady told me all srts of interesting things during startup and then kept her peace.
Writing this message on the re-animated PC so fingers crossed!

Thanks everybody for your stories and advice.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Michael Aikey Aug 19, 2006, 12:33pm EDT Report Abuse
Ok, my problem is similar to this but different in a way. I get the System Failed CPU Test only while playing games such as Diablo 2 and Counterstrike. While playing those games it keeps on saying it over and over. The system runs fine playing those games, no lockups, no nothing..just the annoying message. However, when I alt-tab out of the game or don't run the games, I don't get the message.

My mobo is an Asus A7N8X-E and the videocard is a Radeon 9700. I've tried pulling the videocard and reseating it and still get the same problem. I've also pulled the memory (1 gig Corsair) and exchanged it with memory (1 gig Corsair) from my other system with the same mobo and again, still have the problem.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Donald Iain Smith Aug 20, 2006, 04:42am EDT Report Abuse
It's really fascinating.

Here are some events:
0. green ASUS splash-screen
1. "System completed power-on self-test"
2. "System failed memory test"
3. "Computer now re-booting from operating-system"
4. "System failed CPU test"

I notice that with the new power-supply the computer behaves a little differently to when it had the old power-supply.

* After changing the power-supply
Start from cold (i.e. no power to computer, unplugged)
[sometimes 0]
XP

Warm restart (i.e. software Restart, continuous power to computer)
[0 sometimes]
XP

Shutdown and then start again (computer off but still power to computer)
[0 sometimes]
XP

* Before changing the power-supply (and before the problems started!)
XP
Warm or cold!
Never saw the green ASUS splash nor heard the self-test message!

All rather strange. So long as I don't hear the dreaded message 4 I'm happy, but something, somewhere, is very sensitive.

mike sarkadi Aug 31, 2006, 12:12am EDT Report Abuse

Donald Iain Smith Aug 31, 2006, 05:16am EDT Report Abuse
Mike, wouldn't your request be more visible in a thread of its own?

ajm iv Aug 31, 2006, 07:27pm EDT Report Abuse
*** Problem Solved **

After troubleshooting the Failed Cpu test and finding NO solution I RMA'd my mobo back to Asus and received it back and its FIXED !!!!!

For the few that tried to help I thank you and for the few that got angry due to my post tough. There was NO way any technician could help the mobo problem OR trying new parts would not have helped either.

The problem is with the plate the chip sits in. After time and heat a small solder area melts and the signal does not get through. That is why you receive a cpu test fail . The only way to fix this is to RMA your board back. Hopefully its still under warranty , like mine . :)

Asus knows of this issue but will not admit it.

Hope this post helps ....Good luck.

mike sarkadi Aug 31, 2006, 08:15pm EDT Report Abuse

Donald Iain Smith Sep 01, 2006, 04:26am EDT Report Abuse
ajm iv
i must say i agree with you that there could be something with the board, but whatever it is seems to trigger all sorts of different reactions in different machines.
so far i haven't had any recurrence of the dreaded message, but i do get 'cpu fan failed' from time to time when there seems to be nothing wrong with it.
if it all starts misbehaving i plan to send the board back to ASUS, which has been curiously vague until now.

David Brown Sep 05, 2006, 04:33pm EDT Report Abuse
Lucky you, asus wouldn't RMA my board, they said everything was fine with it. I buy a new board from ePox, problem solved.

Suck it asus. Suck it good.

Donald Iain Smith Sep 06, 2006, 04:52am EDT Report Abuse
Technically, ASUS could be right. The motherboard is fine but another component in your system is suspect and triggers the message. The problem is that the motherboard is not specific about which one (in my system it seemed to be the power-supply).
And your new motherboard doesn't talk so it seems as if nothing is wrong.
What I cannot understand is that this 'talking' feature got as far as production. Is it significant that not all ASUS motherboards talk? More trouble than good.

J Galt1968 Sep 07, 2006, 12:05am EDT Report Abuse
I did something pretty stupid. I attempted to replace my RAM and didn't seat is correctly when I put it in. When I rebooted, nothing on the monitor, no messages, but fans and everything seemed to work. I powered down, reseated the RAM and powered up again. Again, nothing on the screen then, after about 8-10 seconds, a burning smell, a little smoke and the MOBO audio message "System Failed CPU Test". I didn't see exactly where the smoke came from because I was too busy panicking and trying to get the power turned off. Reseating the RAM and attempting reboots results in no smoke or burning, but i still get the message.

I read this thread and stripped down to nothing but the CPU and MOBO, but i still get the message. I am guessing that I fried the MOBO based on these facts, although I suppose the short may have been in the PS. What do you think? Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have an opinion on whether it is the PS or the MOBO? Is it possible I could have fried the CPU? All fans, including the CPU fan, worked fine throughout this incident. Any help is appreciated.

My system:

ASUS A8V Deluxe
AMD 64 x2 4600
1 GB Corsair DDR 400 PC3200C2 CL 2-3-3-6
Antec 550W PS
XFX 6800 XT 512 MB
2 WD 37GB Raptors on RAID 0

J Galt1968 Sep 07, 2006, 12:05am EDT Report Abuse
I did something pretty stupid. I attempted to replace my RAM and didn't seat is correctly when I put it in. When I rebooted, nothing on the monitor, no messages, but fans and everything seemed to work. I powered down, reseated the RAM and powered up again. Again, nothing on the screen then, after about 8-10 seconds, a burning smell, a little smoke and the MOBO audio message "System Failed CPU Test". I didn't see exactly where the smoke came from because I was too busy panicking and trying to get the power turned off. Reseating the RAM and attempting reboots results in no smoke or burning, but i still get the message.

I read this thread and stripped down to nothing but the CPU and MOBO, but i still get the message. I am guessing that I fried the MOBO based on these facts, although I suppose the short may have been in the PS. What do you think? Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have an opinion on whether it is the PS or the MOBO? Is it possible I could have fried the CPU? All fans, including the CPU fan, worked fine throughout this incident. Any help is appreciated.

My system:

ASUS A8V Deluxe
AMD 64 x2 4600
1 GB Corsair DDR 400 PC3200C2 CL 2-3-3-6
Antec 550W PS
XFX 6800 XT 512 MB
2 WD 37GB Raptors on RAID 0

Bob Smith Sep 14, 2006, 12:49pm EDT Report Abuse
>> *****MY ANSWER TO THIS::: UNFIXABLE****** I've tried EVERYTHING!
I would like to share my story, because this is bullshit.

I had this system running stock speeds for around 2 years, ran flawless, then randomly started giving me "System Failed CPU Test" error with NO WAY TO FIX IT...the computer turns on fine, everything runs except the video, and obviously the CPU.. so it's impossible to fix, I figure it must be what the guy a few posts above said, a solder... but doesn't seem to be same with my board.

I am damn good at finding stuff on google so I looked at probably every post of possible fixes for this error, and NOT one of the millions of posts I read had worked. Taking out memory, putting only one in, swapping video cards, reset CMOS, taking out the battery, reseting the CPU, the list goes on..... I tried to boot it up probably 150 times, and one time when I had one stick of 512 in a black slot it actually booted up. RANDOM as hell, and I thought I fixed it, so I shutdown and put 512 more in, BAM error! Tried only 512 again, nothin...

The last thing I do is RMA it back to Asus. A month or so later, I get my board back from them. (very poor packaging by the way, a REALLY small thing of bubble wrap on one side of my board only)

I read the 2 sheet reciept they put in with the board and the fix says "Update Bios" which I had already told them I had done. So I figure, hey, it will probably work because if you have read a lot about this, many people seem to have a working system after RMA'ing the board. Not I.... I STILL RECIEVE THIS DAMN ERROR AND THERE ISN'T A DAMN THING I CAN DO ABOUT IT!

I recieved an email from Asus telling me I was receieving my motherboard back, and told me if I had any concerns or comments that I could reply back. I wrote a nice brief description of my problem, and never recieved a reponse back from them.

So if you are reading this Asus, VERY POOR.... very poor! I paid $180 for this board off of Newegg when it first came out, and this is how you treat your customers?

Asus P4C800 Deluxe
Pentium 4 3.0C
1GB Geil PC3200
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb (I realized a lot of people with this CPU Test error have this card or the 9800)

Bob Smith Sep 27, 2006, 12:05am EDT Report Abuse
I would like to share my story, because this is bullshit.

I had this system running stock speeds for around 2 years, ran flawless, then randomly started giving me "System Failed CPU Test" error with NO WAY TO FIX IT...the computer turns on fine, everything runs except the video, and obviously the CPU.. so it's impossible to fix, I figure it must be what the guy a few posts above said, a solder... but doesn't seem to be same with my board.

I am damn good at finding stuff on google so I looked at probably every post of possible fixes for this error, and NOT one of the millions of posts I read had worked. Taking out memory, putting only one in, swapping video cards, reset CMOS, taking out the battery, reseting the CPU, the list goes on..... I tried to boot it up probably 150 times, and one time when I had one stick of 512 in a black slot it actually booted up. RANDOM as hell, and I thought I fixed it, so I shutdown and put 512 more in, BAM error! Tried only 512 again, nothin...

The last thing I do is RMA it back to Asus. A month or so later, I get my board back from them. (very poor packaging by the way, a REALLY small thing of bubble wrap on one side of my board only)

I read the 2 sheet reciept they put in with the board and the fix says "Update Bios" which I had already told them I had done. So I figure, hey, it will probably work because if you have read a lot about this, many people seem to have a working system after RMA'ing the board. Not I.... I STILL RECIEVE THIS DAMN ERROR AND THERE ISN'T A DAMN THING I CAN DO ABOUT IT!

I recieved an email from Asus telling me I was receieving my motherboard back, and told me if I had any concerns or comments that I could reply back. I wrote a nice brief description of my problem, and never recieved a reponse back from them.

So if you are reading this Asus, VERY POOR.... very poor! I paid $180 for this board off of Newegg when it first came out, and this is how you treat your customers?

Asus P4C800 Deluxe
Pentium 4 3.0C
1GB Geil PC3200
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb (I realized a lot of people with this CPU Test error have this card or the 9800)

Ok, still no reply from Asus. But after being bored one day, I decided to try some more at the unfixable pos motherboard. After trying EVERYTHING, I again put my motherboard alone on a cardboard box and fired it up... nothing, still got this SUPER-f**kIN-ANNOYING error. At this point, I started pushing the heatsink down and booting up. Wierd... THIS WORKS! After messing with it a few times, and replacing all the parts I needed to use, I got into Windows. My computer was running SUPER sweet, and really cool (cooler than ever). I fired up a game (Hitman: Blood Money) on low-ish settings. My computer randomly crashed once or twice. Then, I left the computer on for a whole night and it ran JUST LIKE BEFORE, perfect. I then played another 20 or 30 minutes of the game and it ran shweeeeet.

I decided it was running good now, and I was finally GLAD AS HELL I FINALLY FIXED THIS DAMN THING!!
I put the computer back together into my case the next day and cleaned my desk that hasn't been used for a while because of this GAY ASS ERROR. I boot up, ..... guess? ERROR. So now it's my case, right?

NOOOOOOOOO! I found out that (and I'm 99.9% sure) that the motherboard doesn't secure the CPU enough.(after 2 years of working good though??) To back this up, one time as I went to reapply my heatsink, I pulled it out and to my amazement the CPU came with it! And it was for sure snapped down all the way with little plastic bar secured.

I tried the cardboard box setup again and now I MUST apply all my arm force to the heatsink as I boot it up, and if I even let go of any little bit of force I have on it, the screen freezes up and I have to restart....and if I don't apply any force it gives me the CPU Test error. I then folded up 2 pieces of paper so they would fit under the 2 clamps I use on my heatsink so it would make a tighter, snug fit on the CPU; the tightest it could possibly fit...no workie!!!!! ):<

I am seriously about to smash this thing, and I have wasted too many hours(probably days by now) of my life trying to fix this RANDOM piece of $hit motherboard. I am done. It's randomness totally p**ses me off and I don't want to deal with it anymore... lol. :)

So if you are trying to fix your Asus motherboard and are getting this doom message, and you've tried every f**king forum post, like me... then try applying force to your heatsink and see if that works. If it does, post up here and let me know because this motherboard is a random piece ofs**t and I want it to work! (sadly)

I'm adding this to my favorites and hope someone can fix this! Good luck, later!

Bob Smith Sep 27, 2006, 12:06am EDT Report Abuse

Miky Berger Sep 28, 2006, 10:20am EDT Report Abuse

No way how many pages there are related to this problem.I got the same message and maybe some of you got an answer because it's not like it has something to do with my system or i don't know because it only recently came up.I wanted to play this game,Delta Force BHD,it's not even a very recent game or version and whenever i get started and i'm in game,this crazy message starts .. and it's driving me crazy as well.Can anyone help me with this ? I mean did this happen to some of you guys and you got a solution? Thanks and hope to get an answer ..

Bob Smith Oct 11, 2006, 09:33pm EDT Report Abuse
Ok, so after sending out my 2nd RMA to Asus, I put a note on the RMA form to "NOT FLASH BIOS THIS DOES NOT WORK!"

After shipping out the motherboard to Asus, I waited about 2 weeks and I recieved a package this time without them sending me a shipped out email.

I get the package and guess they sent me a new one. Which THEY DID! It has a different serial number but wierdly has the same CPU socket as my old motherboard (there was a unique grey mark I had made on it one time with some thermal glue)

I installed all the bullshat back in the case, and booted up.... BOOYA! Works! :D :D Finally after months without my computer, and $20 in shipping, I get my computer back up.

+1 for Asus! !!!!!!:D

Bob Smith Oct 18, 2006, 06:08pm EDT Report Abuse
Ok, it is me again, after I finally got a working board from Asus after 2 RMA's.... come to find out it RANDOMLY shuts down. So, I now look on google again for a solution. I type in "p4c800 random shutdown" and TONS ofs**t comes up.

THEN I FIND OUT, MANY PEOPLE ON THE ASUS FORUMS HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO THEM.... THEIR FIRST BOARD DIDN'T WORK AT ALL, SO THEY SEND IT TO ASUS AND ASUS TRYING TO MAKE THEMSELVES LOOK GOOD SEND YOU A "NEW" Motherboard!!!! BUT !!! It randomly shuts down!!! WTF! WHAT... THE... F$CK!!! Wow, they are sending out boards they obviously know don't work!!!! INCREDIBLE!

OMG MONTHS OF HORROR JUST TO REPLACE MY MOTHERBOARD!!! LAME LAME LAME!

Brian Givens Oct 21, 2006, 07:30pm EDT Report Abuse
I have had this problem twice now...
About 3 months ago this happened and I just bought a new CPU and replaced it. Now It randomly happens again. The thing is it only happens when I shut it down and when I turn it on the next day this will happen. This time around I didnt want to get a new cpu so I took it to a shop, he said he had no problwms at all with it and could not get it to give him that message, so he gave it back to me. It worked fine for a few days then randomly I roll out of bed, hit the power button and I get the cpu system failed bitch telling me over and over. I would appreciate any help at all!
Thanks
Brian

ASUS p4p800E-mb
2X512mb Corsair ram
BFG nvidia 6800GT
thermaltake 480 watt psu
both cpu's have been Intel 3.0 ht & a 3.2ht intel

Donald Iain Smith Oct 22, 2006, 06:41pm EDT Report Abuse
Surely it's time ASUS responded to all this?!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.