Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1130 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:49am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
CrAsHnBuRnXp Oct 22, 2006, 07:09pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee
This is why I never recommend ASUS boards or any of their products.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
David Brown Oct 23, 2006, 02:57pm EDT Report Abuse
It amazes me all of us have the same problem, yet asus effectivly ignored us and moved onto the next generation of products.

Needless to say, I did stoop into buying the p5b board for my conroe. Lets hope I don't go through this vicious cycle again. Or asus will never see my cash again.

RobNyc Oct 25, 2006, 05:37pm EDT Report Abuse
When I got the system failed cpu test it was a faulty 500w psu i had, i been using a new antec truepower II 420w since may no problem, but this past week i been getting now cpu fan failed. My pc is water cooled so it doesnt uses a cpu fan like normally. so my top case fan is connected on the mobo (cpu fan area) and its saying it im like wow. Maybe its the fan or the mobo I hate pcs

J Galt1968 Oct 30, 2006, 08:33am EST Report Abuse
An update to my situation: I called Asus, and they agreed to RMA my Board. I installed it and everything now works like a charm.

Donald Iain Smith Oct 31, 2006, 05:17am EST Report Abuse
And did ASUS exlain what was wrong? And how they fixed it?

Donald Iain Smith Oct 31, 2006, 05:20am EST Report Abuse
Interesting.
I also 'solved' the problem by replacing the power supply and 'she' was quiet for a few weeks, but now I am getting 'CPU fan failed' almost every time I start the PC, and there is nothing wrong with the fan because it has also been replaced and spins just like the old one (which is still working in another PC). Grrr.

Edward Derksen Nov 10, 2006, 02:05pm EST Report Abuse
Hi Mike, Donald and all the others that contibuted to this tread.

I do have same problem. The SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST message. No Video, All HD powers up, DVD/CD-ROM & Writers also powers up, however do not react operating the front-side buttons (e.g. to open them). The system incl MB is 3,5 yrs old and only started to ecperience problems a couple of weeks ago.

SITUATION:

After running my system for more than 3 years completely stable, since a couple of weeks the systems on several occasions randomly restarted. Always rebooted automatically and seemed stabel for a couple if days, before rebooting by itself again.
Couple of days ago, watching web-TV on my TV using the TV out of the graphis card, the video died. The system seemed to run further. The only way to shut the system down was to hold the power button for a couple of seconds. Since then I get the SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST message when powering up, without Video. All HDs powers up, DVD/CD-ROM/Writers as well (leds are green), however do not react on the front-side buttons e.g. to open them. Reset button of the system shows continuously Red. All fans are working as well (CPU, Graphic Card, Case, PSU).

Use the system lightly (no gaming, sometimes Video editing).

DONE SO FAR:

Read the full tread (all 17 pages) and stripped everything from the MB (graphis card, RAM, CPU) & disconnected power from all HD & DVD/CD-ROM/Writers. Only plugged in a set of speakers. Removed the MB battery, reset CMOS accoring instructions, installed brand new battery.
After powering up, the system would play the message: NO CPU INSTALLED as how it should be. Although after playing this message for some seconds, a second message played was interleaved SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST.
Remounted the CPU resulting in playing only the message SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST. Even without the Fan connected to the proper connector on the MB. Here it goes wrong already, since the message CPU FAN FAILED should have been played, I guess. Also tried to push hard on the CPU without the heatsink and FAN installed, no change...only the message SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST.

PROBLEM ANALYSES:

From everything I read here I would say the PSU needs to be replaced. CPU, RAM, and Graphic Card should be fine, right ???

The only change I made to the hardware in the last 2 years, is swap of a NEC DVD-Writer from 4x to 16x about 3 months ago, and addition of my last HD (a replacement module) 200GB WD.

I might have to get a bit larger PSU since installation of the last HD, right?

Hope one of you can help me identifying my problem before I will start to buy new components.

SYSTEM

My system (complete system purchased 3,5yrs back, added only Hard Drives over the yrs)
* MB: P4P800 DeLuxe (3,5 years back)
* Graphics: Asus V9520 Video Auite (NVidea)
* 1x120GB WD
* 2x200GB WD (installed on seperate channels as primary on additional RAID controller)
* 2x250GB Maxtor (SATA)
* DVD-ROM, DVD-Writer, CD-Writer
* 420Watt Power Supply
* Levicom PSU (spec 3,3V/30A, 5V/33A, 12V/15A, -5V/1A, -12V/1A, +5VSB/2.A)

Jerry Watts Nov 10, 2006, 02:58pm EST Report Abuse
My advise (see my message on p 14) is to replace the motherboard with another brand. I spent too long and went through too many ASUS boards. I hate to see someone else have the same frustration. Good luck!

Intel P4 2.8e
Intel D865OERLL
(formerly Asus P4P800 deluxe)
PNY ram pc3200 1GB x 1
Achieve ATX 500w PSU
XFX 6200 256mb agp 8x

fabiano fanini Nov 10, 2006, 07:22pm EST Report Abuse
hi to all..i'm new but i have heard me too the voice of the mb.

the fact is simple i've:

amd 2.4 xp
asus a7v8x..
1gb no name ram
120gb maxtor hd
dvd writer
wordbit 400w psu
ge force 4200fx

and a couple weeks ago i'd like to play bf2 so i bought a new video card an x800-pro on eBay the pc was stable untill then...i plugged the video card and the sys works but didnt want to recognize the x800 so i tried a few times replacing drivers but nothing.the pc cannot show me what holy grafic card is mounted....
i putted again the nvidia 4200,but today i tried again and the speaker say me SYS FAIL CPU TEST...the pc works fine with the old 4200,works yesterday with x800 but today :angry:

could it be a psu prob or what else??

Edward Derksen Dec 01, 2006, 09:02am EST Report Abuse
Great news!

Finally fixed the problem; It turned out to be the Motherboard!
After my previous message, I started looking for professional help, and found some PC repair shop that would charge very low fees. In the end I paid for a new motherboard (non-ASUS) + only 20 Euro on work! Will from now on always use these guys when something is wrong with PC's :)

A shame thought that I do not have the features of the P4P800 DeLuxe, i.e. the amount of HD controllers (the additional VIA controller for upto 4 IDE disks with RAID functionality is not common for other brands). However, I didn't want to replace my board for another ASUS.

My advice to all of you experiencing problems with the ASUS boards, is to first check if the PSU is causing the problem. If not, I think you can in most cases conclude that the board itself is the problem.

Grtz Ed

Computerhound Monts Jan 06, 2007, 05:58pm EST Report Abuse
Having a similar problem here. My Asus P4C800 deluxe has about 3 1/2 years under its belt. During the last week or so, the system totally freezes once or twice a day. A hard reboot is the only way to get going, and now I am getting the infamous "SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST" and no post.

I swapped the CPU, same thing.

I pulled the video card and still received the message.

I followed many of the suggestions here on the forum and tested the voltage with a multimeter and also PC Probe. I believe the voltage is within tolerance as I am getting 11.85V, 4.73V 3.12V to 3.20V, and 1.568V. Is my power supply okay (Antec 380 Watt) or are these readings too low?

While testing with multimeter, (with the annoying verbal message in the background) all of a sudden the computer gets past the message and boots up.

Since this is an intermittent problem, do these symptoms narrow down the cause?

Jerry Watts Jan 06, 2007, 06:54pm EST Report Abuse
My advice (see my message on p 14) is to replace the motherboard with another brand. I spent too long and went through too many ASUS boards. When this pattern starts up, I hate to see someone else have the same frustration. Good luck!

Intel P4 2.8e
Intel D865PERLL
(formerly Asus P4P800 deluxe)
PNY ram pc3200 1GB x 1
Achieve ATX 500w PSU
XFX 6200 256mb agp 8x

Computerhound Monts Jan 06, 2007, 07:30pm EST Report Abuse
Thank you for your your response, but I think it's too early for a new motherboard just yet.

I did notice in the PC probe log, that my 3.3V voltage briefly hit 3.088. I have also removed several energy intensive USB devices, and so far so good.

Could the voltage that I mentioned above or too many USB devices cause systemwide lockup or the infamous "CPU failure"?

Archangel Jan 25, 2007, 06:59pm EST Report Abuse
17 pages... wtf?

We all should tank:

Name: john doe
Last Login: Jan 03, 2004, 06:06 PM

Member Ranking: Junior Member
Number of Posts: 1

who started this amazing 17 pages long thread

marty hozlock Jan 28, 2007, 08:53pm EST Report Abuse

marty hozlock Jan 28, 2007, 08:58pm EST Report Abuse
Im sure there are mutiple diffrent things that can cause this problem but after reading though this 17 page thread i decided to do a little trouble shooting of my own.

I saw alot of people posting about the 3.3v and 5v rail being to low could cause the problem so i checked out my voltages and my 3.3 was dropping in and out. higest it would go would be 3.16v and would drop to 2.8v sometimes. so swaped out my power supply with the generic one that came with my case... WOOHOO no more "system failed CPU test".

Im sure this wont solve everyone frustrations but it worked for me.

mike sarkadi Jan 29, 2007, 05:34pm EST Report Abuse
For those of you that have problems with your pc... the best thing to do is pay someone 50 bucks to fix it that knows what they are doing. I still stand behind Asus.. they make the best motherboards. The best motherboard you can buy now for the newest socket 775 dual systems is the ASUS Striker Extreme Nforce 680I SLI LGA775. This board is so awesome with the new Nividia chipset it blows away all the competition. No manufacturer has even come close to the performance of this board...not even close. See for yourself here: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/21/680i-motherboard-compar...age12.html
I am currently building the fastest pc in the world with this Motherboard and I can tell you my system is costing me over 4500 dollars to build. Along with the fastest cpu in the world currently priced at around 1200 dollars..pushing almost 6 gig cpu speed ..... and the best Ram in the world made by Corsair... nobody will have a faster pc than me.
For those of you that still have the P4c 800 e deluxe board by Asus..it was the best board in the world 2 years ago...and they overclocked it to the world record at over 5.5 gig cpu speed at tomshardware.com . I have a video of this board breaking the world record if anyone wants to see it let me know. This p4c 800 board had intels no 1 chipset on it that they still use today on the best server boards that you will pay close to 1000 dollars for the board now. The i875p chipset was and still is the best chipset for socket 478 and you can easily overclock a 3 gig cpu on it to 4 gigs.
I want to remind people that the p4c 800 e deluxe board was still faster and better than all the socket 775 systems for at least the last 2 years...and it still blows away most of the cheaper socket 775 systems today even with a faster cpu on it. This board was pushing 6.7 gigs of bandwidth 2 years ago and blew away all the Rambus technology. However..today with the newest corsair ram on a system running over 1000 Fsb..you can get closer to 10 g of bandwisth now.. but you will need a high end board like the new asus striker extreme to do it.

Asus is still number one in the motherboard business along with Gigabyte..and now Gygabyte and Asus have teamed up together. The 2 best motherboard manufacturers in the world are now one... and anyone that builds a pc today WITHOUT an Asus motherboard is getting a very inferior product big time.

All I can say about people who cant even fix a pc..to pay someone to do it that knows how to fix em..and stop bashing Asus..because they are way better boards than any other. The benchmark tests are the proof and I have seen them and I stand by them 100%.

I only build the fastest pc's in the world.. and I always use the best parts in my systems... but if you buy a pc from me...expect to pay over 4500 dollars for it. I even use the fastest hard drives in the world ...Hitachi!

Mike

A Lavery Jan 30, 2007, 12:02pm EST Report Abuse
I've also been having the same problem. I was asleep and I woke up at 7am to the sound of 'system failed cpu test." It took me a while to realize what was happening and so I sat there starring at my computer hoping that everything on it didn't disappear. The computer was on and the monitor was on but i couldnt get my computer to come back up with the movement of my mouse. So I held down the power button for a few seconds and then rebooted my comp. The computer booted up fine and the annoying bitch voice was gone ;)

I don't know too much about computers but I went to Device Manager to see if there were any of those yellow exclamation marks beside anything. Turns out, my RAID controller had no drivers installed for it?! So I installed some and now the mark is gone. I haven't rebooted again yet because I'm afraid my comp wont come back on and I have a lot of work to do on it.

Which is another thing. I don't use my comp for gaming or anything like that... just to run Adobe programs like Photoshop and Illustrator for design work. How can my processor or motherboard be shot?

I have a Asus P4C800 Intel 875/865 Chipset Series..Don't these things have warranties on them?

p.s. don't have the money to buy anything new for the comp either

Erik van Leeuwen Feb 01, 2007, 07:47am EST Report Abuse
I am having the same problem at my own pc and that one of my parents.

Parents pc: (not at home right now, a p5p motherboard)
My own pc: p4p800 deluxe, Levicom X-Alien 500 watt, p4 4.66 GHz, 1,5 GB Ram

My parent's pc was the first one saying "System Failed CPU Test".
They returned it to the shop multiple times.
The first time the tech guys from the shop couldn't find any problems, as the computer booted normaly. After a week or so, the voice appeared again. Returning the pc, and they replaced the motherboard.

After six months my own pc was giving me the same error.

Steps i took:
1. Removing the power cable and the battery
2. removing the Cpu
3. installing the CPU again
4. Plug in the power cable
5. powering up the computer without the battery installed
6. turning it off again after 10 seconds
7. installing the battery and power up

worked for me getting my computer to boot!
After that i inmediatly entered the BIOS to increase the voltages of the CPU... the problem disappeared!!

2 months ago the computer of my parents was giving the same error again, so i used the same steps as i did with my own pc, and increased the voltages. That computer is now still running, and doing is job!

Now last week, my computer freezed after a boot in windows, so i decided to power off the computer by holding the power button for 5 seconds. After powering on i AGAIN getting the damn voice saying "System failed cpu test".
After increasing the voltages, the computer would boot again, but i couldn't remember the voltages i used to fix it, so now everytime i power on the computer again, i am getting the error "System failed cpu test". I think i need to know what the best value for the CPU voltage would be.

Both computers are in the same house, maybe this error is because of some kind of power failure?

I am posting this hoping it will help some of you guys fixing or locating the problem, as i am still struggling with this error.

ajm iv Feb 01, 2007, 01:27pm EST Report Abuse
For all of you still puzzled by this message....

Go to page 16 and read my reply....The problem is with your motherboard. If your motherboard is still under warranty -- send it back ASAP. I have had NO issues since I received mine back. Its a soder point under the chip set that goes bad over time. !

Good luck....

ajmiv

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.