Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 2040 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 08 - 12:23am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
mike sarkadi Feb 02, 2007, 11:02pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee
Quickest way to fix it:

1) Pull out the graphics card and start up the pc.. if the message is gone, then the graphics card was bad ... if you still get the message "system fail cpu test" then go to 2)

2) pull out any other cards that are left one at a time and then restart... if the message is gone when restarting then it was that card that was bad .... if you still get the message " system fail cpu test" then go to 3)

3) Get a new power supply .. a good quality one with a higher wattage rating then your last one .. min 400 watts... for most of you, your problems will end here.. if you still get the message at this point then it's possible there is a short under the clamps that hold the cpu heatsink to the motherboard... but dont try to fix it yourself send the board back.

Most of you will be surprised as to how easy it is if you follow these steps
It is not a software problem either..it is a hardware problem, and most of the time its either the power supply or the graphics card. Even if the graphics card works in another pc it doesnt matter it doesnt like that card.. but the way to find out fast is to start it with no graphics card first... and if the message is gone then for sure it's the graphics card.. if not go to step 2)

Good information doesn't come cheap but in this case i'm giving you my 2 cents worth.

By the way, I have been running my Asus p4c 800 e deluxe board now for about 3 years .. 24 hours a day 7 days a week... I have never turned it off ever.. it is always on... and it's still running. But I did FRY my graphics card once with it and got the infamous "system fail cpu test" I changed the graphics card and problem went away.

Also, there is no need to change the battery on the motherboard unless your pc clock lost its time. Pulling the battery will only reset the cmos... remember the problem is hardware not software here.

Another note: This motherboard with a 3.0 to a 3.4 gig cpu on it and Twin Corsair ddr 400 ram is still faster 4 years later than all the dual core systems running the same memory speed today. Dual core is not faster! True performance from a pc today is no longer from the cpu speed it's from the memory bandwidth... and with 6.7 g of memory bandwidth, these systems still rock! So unless your prepared to spend close to 4500 dollars on a pc today your not going to get a faster computer and if you are willing to dish out the 4500 dollars your only going to get a 30% performance gain anyway and thats only because the FSB is running above 1000 mhz.

There's an old saying that has meaning here: "You don't know what you got till it's gone"

Mike

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tony Fulgar Feb 24, 2007, 09:34am EST Report Abuse
hi guys,

appreciate the advice here. Read the forum here as I began to hear the 'voice' a few days ago. I have a P4P800 deluxe mobo with an Intel P4 2.8E CPU for about 3 years now - no problems until the few days ago. I followed the advice posted here in removing the cards and restarting the here with the cards/gfx/dimms stripped out from the mobo and then proceeding to start the unit. Even with only the CPU (no hdd/dimms/cards/gfx installed) I get the 'voice'. I replaced my generic PSU with a Techwill 500W PSU from another PC with a ECS/478 mobo (the unit works fine) but I still get the 'voice'.

I tested the CPU on that other machine (ECS/478 mobo) and it works fine. Same with all my hdd/dimms/gfx/pci cards. Right now can't boot up the PC with the P4P800 deluxe mobo. Looks like a problem on the mobo. will be looking up to RMA the board - I may have one of these bad boards (from perhaps a batch) from Asus.

Erik van Leeuwen Feb 26, 2007, 09:43am EST Report Abuse
I have bought new hardware.
Tested the old mobo and cpu do!
Both were not working as they should work.
Sometimes the cpu works on other machines, and after some test runs it crashes again.
Mobo wouldnt start with other hardware either...
Power supply tested and worked fine!

Mar 10, 2007, 10:41pm EST Report Abuse

Donald Iain Smith Mar 11, 2007, 05:52am EDT Report Abuse
Try the power supply.

mike sarkadi Mar 14, 2007, 02:42pm EDT Report Abuse
Oscar
In your case I don't think its your motherboard or cpu. It's likely your power supply is starting to go or one of your cards like the graphics card.

Good luck

Erik van Leeuwen Mar 15, 2007, 05:42am EDT Report Abuse
I think it could be anything with this error message.
The message 'system failed cpu test' is just not correct, and that makes it so hard to find a solution to this problem. Good luck all.

My solution: i bought a new power supply, motherboard, graphics card, memory and harddisk. hehe

Michael Martin Mar 18, 2007, 05:13pm EDT Report Abuse
I too am getting the 'system failed cpu test' voice.

My system has been running just fine for over 3 years now. I was gone all last week on a trip to Vegas and when I got back last night I saw that some Windows updates were ready to install. I did so and before I could click the button to restart the computer... the computer shut itself off. I think 'Hmmmm, odd' and power down the system and restart it. It started booting into XP and got midway through loading all the stuff in my taskbar and then shut itself off again. I tried a couple more times and it kept just shutting itself off. I didn't feel like dealing with it then, so I turned it off for the night and went to bed.

When I got up this morning and tried again, it booted successfully into XP. However, about 10 minutes in, the screen went crazy and the sound started playing, but it was too low for me to make out what it was actually saying. I rebooted several more times and kept getting the same results... bizarre screen output (sometimes just random bars would overtake the entire screen.. sometimes some of my desktop still showed through but there were randomly changing blocks of color all over the place). I then booted up into safe mode and when it happened again, the voice was loud and clear.. system failed cpu test.

After reading through this topic, it seems it could be anything from my motherboard, cpu, power supply, or graphics card. Because of the crazy screen output, I almost want to assume its the graphics card.. but I honestly don't know enough to try to diagnose what the problem is. I'm hoping somebody here can give me some pointers to help try to figure out what exactly it is. I checked the voltages on the power supply in BIOS and they all seem right.. only thing I noticed is that the 5V stays pretty constant around 5.1.. I don't know if that's enough of a deviation to cause any problems.

My system specs:
ASUS P4P800
Intel P4 2.8
GeForce FX 5700 Ultra

Thanks for any help you can give,
Mike

Erik van Leeuwen Mar 18, 2007, 05:31pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi Mike,

My suggestion would be to check the temperature of your CPU.
Maybe it overheaded, and is unstable now.

Michael Martin Mar 18, 2007, 05:51pm EDT Report Abuse
I just booted into BIOS and checked the readings. CPU temp was around 135 F, motherboard temp was about 105 F. CPU fan speed was ~3200RPM. I have no idea whether those are normal readings or not.

On the most recent reboot into safe mode, it was running for over 35 minutes with no problems (before I restarted to get into BIOS). I was running a virus scan just to give the computer something to do.

Michael Martin Mar 18, 2007, 06:20pm EDT Report Abuse
Hmm, so I just opened up ASUSProbe after booting into XP. All the values are registering OK, except for 'Power Fan'. It says that monitoring of it is paused. I checked the box and it registered a 0 and started beeping at me. However, when I look at the back of the case, the fan to the rear of the power supply is most definitely spinning. I'm not sure what to think of that.

Michael Martin Mar 18, 2007, 06:42pm EDT Report Abuse
And now the plot thickens...

So, after the computer lasted so long in safe mode, I decided to boot it back up into normal XP and see what happened.

Everything was going fine, and then the screen cut out on me. Everything else was still on and running, but the screen just went to black. Enough clicking and moving about of my mouse and it came back on. It lasted another couple of minutes and cut out again. It took longer to get it back that time, but when the screen came back up the resolution had changed to what looks like 640x480 (maybe less?) and a notice telling me "The nv4_disp display driver has stopped working normally."

Should this pretty much tell me that my video card is shot, or is there a chance something else is the problem?

mike sarkadi Mar 18, 2007, 07:22pm EDT Report Abuse
Mike

It's your graphics card. Very obvious cause your graphics is going funny.
As far as the power fan paused... this is normal because your power supply has no sensor to the motherboard to monitor it.
You can't overheat the cpu on a pentium 4 either.... the pc will slow down automatically if the fan dies so it wont fry the cpu.

Mike

Michael Martin Mar 18, 2007, 07:30pm EDT Report Abuse
That's what I figured as far as the graphics card was concerned, but I didn't want to assume anything. :)

I'll check and see if the card is still under a warranty of any kind to replace it and if not I'll look into finding a new one.

Interestingly enough, I rolled back the graphics card's drivers and its been working fine for quite a while now..

mike sarkadi Mar 18, 2007, 07:32pm EDT Report Abuse
Ya... but your card is going..eventually it will fail. Try playing elder scrolls 4 with it and watch your card die fast.
Older agp cards dont have the extra power plug that the new ones have..and thus burn out fast cause they can't get enough power from the AGP port alone. Get at least a 7800 gs with a power plug and you'll be fine.
I have gone though 4 graphics cards on my system in the last 4 years.... I fried 2 of them and the 3rd was still way too slow till I put in a geforce 7800 gs and I'm happy now lol. The first 3 cards had no extra power connector... but the 7800 gs did.

Michael Martin Mar 18, 2007, 08:40pm EDT Report Abuse
I actually don't use my system for gaming at all (which is why I'm a bit surprised that I'd manage to kill a video card). The 7800 GS you suggested is a bit out of my price range (my dad funded my system when it was built 3 years ago.. not anymore, hah). Can you suggest anything a little cheaper? Since I don't do gaming at all, I don't exactly need a powerhouse video card.

It actually lasted for several hours on the most recent boot. Then the screen blacked out twice (no random colored spots this time) before the computer restarted itself. Weird how I was getting the 'system failed cpu test' error but now its not happening..

Michael Martin Mar 20, 2007, 08:32pm EDT Report Abuse
Well.. it wasn't the graphics card. I replaced it today with one I picked up at Best Buy and I'm still having issues.

I had the computer running for the majority of the day yesterday and managed to get in a 5 hour stress test on the CPU that didn't yield any errors. I've checked the RAM several times with memtest86 (including the bit fader test) that also didn't yield any errors.

I don't know what else to think other than the power supply or the motherboard, and I really don't think its the power supply because I've been watching the voltages constantly and nothing ever got abnormal.

I noticed a coupling popping/clicking sounds today when things started going screwy. Different from the clicks HDs make. Don't know whether to think that's the sound of something shorting out or what. It just seems really bizarre for it to be the motherboard though given how variable the condition of the system has been over the past couple of days.

I don't know what else to do other than continue swapping random parts out.

j Addison Mar 22, 2007, 12:11am EDT Report Abuse
ITS ASUS....I will NEVER buy asus again...NEVER!!! the board sucks...I have a a8v and it does the exactly same thing....worst part is that its intermittent...and you cannot shut off the post reporter...it will not boot no matter what....seems...every 10 boots, 3 fail.....I tried everything...rma and they just said sorry nothing wrong...they lie!!!

Franci Jose Apr 02, 2007, 01:32am EDT Report Abuse
Let me explain my problem and the solution I found:

I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard (ver 1013 Uber Bios) that has been performing amazingly for the last 3 years with an Athlon-XP 2600 processor and 512 MB DDR Ram. Never had a single problem and my system is on for almost 20 hours a day. I was using a GeForce-3 (64 MB) card from Asus all these years and was able to play pretty much every game with it. Recently though, in my desire for more, I upgraded to a GeForce 6200 (256 MB). Everything appeared fine for the first 1 week. Then I suddenly started getting the message "System Failed CPU Test" whenever I launced a game.

This is the strange part: The system would boot and work without any problems as long as i wasn't trying to play a game. The moment i start any game, that sleazy bitch would start off with her complaints about the system's cpu failing. I could continue playing if i turned the speakers off, but that's not a proper solution, is it? I tried reassembling the system from scratch - no change. When I put in the old graphics card though, she would work fine. I took my new card and tried it on another system and it works there without any problem.

Did an analysis of my system. I've got 2 hard discs, 2 optical drives, FDD, extra chasis fan and even a nice light assembly on my cabinet. I also use upto 4 USB devices at random times Started thinking that maybe the new graphics card was probably overloading my SMPS. Bought a new 400 Watt SMPS and replaced it with my 300 Watt unit. MAGIC - it works fine now.

Not a single problem for the last 10 days. Hope this will benefit readers facing this problem. Try upgrading your SMPS first.

Have Fun Everyone !!! :D

Donald Iain Smith Apr 02, 2007, 03:11am EDT Report Abuse
Since replacing the power supply I have had no more problems, although pulling some of the other cards changed what the lady sang, and that's why it's so confusing. So I think it's worth beginning with the power supply, as they're not that expensive and can always be used in another machine.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.