Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1836 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 08 - 12:42am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
Leo Tang May 11, 2007, 04:24pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee
Been running an MSI PM8M-V as replacement. Who would've thought that my $220 investment for long life components would be replaced by a $50 board after 3 years? Hahaha. Well, it certainly was the motherboard since the MSI one is running great (thank god no DoA). Next computer will just have cheap (though still with decent reliability) components since this expensive 2004 top of the line system has essentially become a cheap components brew (with the exception of the CPU and GFX card of course)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
David Brown May 12, 2007, 12:52pm EDT Report Abuse
I've posted way back towards the middle of this thread about having similar problems. In the end, I bought a new Mobo, but my CPU aparently had destroyed itself. On the old board. So not only did the ASUS board kill itself, it took my CPU down with it.

Needless to say I'm cheerfully chugging along in a dual p3 800mhz computer, which runs beautifully compared to my old AMD XP 3200+ Barton core. In terms it works for what I need, and it dosn't spit annoying messages at me.

Rudy Vasquez May 15, 2007, 06:29pm EDT Report Abuse
I have had the same problem with the P4P800-E Deluxe. I have had it RMA'd twice both times with the error message of "System failed cpu test." Both the the tech said a problem they've heard about but he did not have any solutions. I have tried two cpu's in it but I dont have access to another p4 system to see of my cpu's are still good. My question is I had a raid 0 setup (don't remember stripe size). When I put the drives in another system windows wants me to format the new drive. I've tried multiple stripe sizes with no luck. Is there a way to setup the old array with out having to format the new drive and lose all my data?

Todd Hoffman May 15, 2007, 06:41pm EDT Report Abuse
You will need to reformat if changing motherboards. I was told this when my board had gone out. I was lucky to get a working RMA.

Todd

Leo Tang May 31, 2007, 04:00am EDT Report Abuse
Not true on the reformat. I replaced the P4C800E-DLX with a MSI board without reformating. Same or similar chipsets or at least majority same components will allow the OS to accept the replacement.

corel MD Jun 07, 2007, 02:38pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi !
I have a typic for this topic problem - my asus motherboard ("SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"). The version of mb is ASUS A8V-E with an AMD 3000 + CPU . That fu..in message had appeared after 5 days i'd changed my heatsink. Till now it worked without an error ! Have smb. similar doubts with A8V-E and know how to repair it ?

Rudy Vasquez Jun 07, 2007, 11:52pm EDT Report Abuse
I was still getting the system failed cpu test and I changed out my vid card and the error went away. So I think there's some funky thing when your vid card goes bad causing it to detect that error.

Prometheus Aug 25, 2007, 11:23am EDT Report Abuse
I got this error a few days ago after using my A8V-E Deluxe system for 2 years. I unplugged EVERYTHING except the cpu and power off course. The cpu works fine in another board. A retailer tried another power supply but it blew up, literally. My old power supply however still works on it including another cheap power supply which I will now modify with the correct pins to see if it solves the problem.

My conclusions are as follows:
1. After unplugging everything there is definitely enough power even with a 250W supply.
2. It is definitely the mobo and not the cpu. Resetting doesn't help.
3. I removed the heatsink retainer and can not find any problem solder joints as others have reported. Replaced it again loosely.
4. This is a crappy design where if anything fails during cpu boot up it reports the same generic error.

The correct thing would be to continue booting and report the error later during POST if it needs reporting at all. I have never before had a system failed to boot because of psu problems or what-have-yous. This is a stupid and meaningless message which can mean any minor problem and ASUS ruined what is actually a good solid designed board. My new M2N-E SLI system works fine with my psu either because ASUS recognised (although frighteningly never admitted to) this problem and allows me to use my psu regardless or because the board is actually faulty. To make matters worse my what was at the time a very expensive top of the line ASUS X700 burnt out earlier this year after the fan failed and I replaced it with a cheapish fanless GeForce 6200TC from XFX. If only there was a different mobo available that met my requirements I would not have got an ASUS again as I think their reputation is permanently ruined. I will keep a close eye on the new board and if there is even the slightest problem they can take back their new board as well. Maybe it is better built being a NForce 500 and all.

chuck schuldiner Aug 30, 2007, 10:59am EDT Report Abuse
hey guys, i just heard this annoyin message 2 days ago after 3 years of smooth running. I've read all 20 pages of this thread and by the looks of it most people had problems with ATI Radeon cards and Antec True Power PSUs. Unfortunately for me I've got both. :/
My system is:
P4P800 Deluxe
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128 mb
Antec True Power 550 W
4 Dimms of Corsair 512 DDR

First thing I did was to swap the PSU with a no-name 250W one but still got the message. So I suppose PSU is out of the equation. Unfortunately right now I can't get my hand on another graphics card to test it.
So I stripped down everything and left only the CPU on. When I powered up the mobo started beeping, because memory was missing. The thing is though that according to the manual I should get a voice message for missing memory. I only got beeps instead.
I slotted in one DIMM of memory and power up again. This time the beeping stopped and I got the 'system failed,VGA test' voice message and nothing else. When I added the graphics card and rebooted I got the 'system failed,CPU test'. So it is probably my graphics card that died. The question is, if it isn't the VGA and it is either the CPU or the mobo, shouldn't I still get the 'CPU error' along with the 'VGA error' when the VGA was out, or even when only the CPU was on with no memory or VGA?
thanks for any replies

Rudy Vasquez Aug 30, 2007, 09:45pm EDT Report Abuse
Well I more or less fixed my issue. I was still getting the "System failed cpu test" message but I went ahead and switched out the vid card. I was able to get the system to boot up. So there's somehting with the board that when the vid card is bad it thinks there's something up with the cpu card.

Drew Phillips Sep 18, 2007, 01:55am EDT Report Abuse
I got the same problem, but how I got there may be different. Any comments on my fix are welcome.

My system:
Asus P4B 478-pin mobo
Intel P4 2.0a 312 cache processor
512MB x2 SDRAM

I left town for a week and forgot to shut off my computer, which should be no big deal, but I returned two days ago to "System Failed CPU Test". The board's got power, but I got nothing but black screen; cannot power up, nothing. I pulled all my cards, re-installing them one by one, no change throughout this process.

However, a large amount of dust had accumulated in the heat sink during the month of August, due to excessive use of A/C, open windows and ceiling fans to combat the heat here in Los Angeles. I cleaned up the heatsink and the rest of the interior, but still get the error message. I'm guessing that my CPU melted due to the dust build-up and subsequent lack of heat dispersion.

Anyone have this kind of experience? I'm betting that I can simply replace the CPU, but wanted to get some feedback first. I find it weird, since I leave my computer on for weeks at a time with no problem, so the dust build-up is the only thing I can think of.

Zanoza Zanoza Sep 27, 2007, 04:45am EDT Report Abuse

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Sep 27, 2007, 05:00am EDT Report Abuse
your thinking a Ultimate open case or short?

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Drew Phillips Oct 07, 2007, 10:25pm EDT Report Abuse
I fixed this problem: It turned out to be the power supply. I'd advise anyone to check their power supply first before doing anything else.

The first think that happened was I got the "System Failed the CPU test" error message. And to all who state that Asus is the common denominator here, of course it is - it's their POST system error sound byte! It doesn't mean that other boards don't have this same problem. In fact, they do, but they don't have the "System failed the CPU test" soundbyte built into their boards.

The first thing I replaced was the processor. No change. Then I replaced the board (Asus P4B) with another exact duplicate. No change. I then switched out the video card with one from another computer. No change. I checked the power supply by plugging in my CDROM drive with each of the power cords one-by-one, and some of them did not seem to power up the CD drive when I cut the computer on. So then I replaced the power supply. And bingo, it worked. So the audio warning is really just a generic warning that could mean anything, and most likely the problem is not the CPU. How ironic.

mike sarkadi Oct 08, 2007, 06:55pm EDT Report Abuse
Four YEARS LATER.. My board is still running 24 hours a day seven days a week. I have not turned off the pc in 4 years. I have 8 drives on the system, 3 printers, a motion sensor, a camera with a security system as well as tons of hardware like faxes and scanners.
I worked this pc hard for 4 years including running it as a server for 2 years running a website that was getting at least 19,000 visitors a day. I also ran the most demanding games on it that would kill most graphic cards. ( in fact i did kill one card)... and it just keeps on going and going even better than the energizer battery.
I tried overheating it and ran it hot at double the recomended temperature for 4 months, I ran it with so much dust in it that the cpu fan was clogged and the alarm in it was going off...and I couldn't kill the pc. I use every slot in it and I have added slots to it so that i can put up to 14 hard drives in it and I can't kill this pc.
Four years later this pc is still faster than all the new socket 775 systems.
I also ran the system for days using maximum cpu and memory and it still keeps going.

This motherboard still holds the world record for the fastest speed on it at 5 ghz cpu speed.
This is simply the best motherboard you can buy..even 4 years later. You can't buy a better motherboard even today unless you spend 1000 dollars for a server board that still uses the i875p chipset. My motherboard will still be running in 10 years and I can still safely overclock this system at 4 ghz speed. I will not change this motherboard until they come up with a better one...and so far they haven't.
I'm still accepting donations of the p4c-800 e deluxe board with the i875p chipset. The boards are worth more now than the day you purchased it...even though they don't make them anymore.(only in server boards now).
Mike

mike sarkadi Oct 08, 2007, 08:39pm EDT Report Abuse
If anyone wants to see this motherboard breaking the world record I uploaded the video here:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-3809280736191345827&am...;plindex=5

It's very Impressive!

Mike

Loc Dogg Oct 23, 2007, 02:42am EDT Report Abuse
Well...Today I ran into a big problem with my desktop computer. Here's my story...I tried to plug in an external hard drive into my computer in one of my USB ports and all of a sudden my computer froze so I had to manually restart it by holding down the power button. After it turns off, I immediately turned in back on again and I got this "CPU TEST FAIL" vocal message. There was no video output...nothing it just keep repeating the annoying vocal message. Today I spent about five hours going to a friend's house and testing all of his working parts that are easily removed onto my computer such as the PSW, rams, and video card except my friend's CPU because I didn't want to ruin it by accident. None of the swap fixes this problem. My last resort would be either buying a more powerful power supply or getting a new CPU or both. Anyone ever had similar problem who want to share a solution?

Loc Dogg Oct 23, 2007, 03:01am EDT Report Abuse
And something to add...also I been using my computer for 3 years now with no issues until today...

Steve Y Nov 08, 2007, 06:30pm EST Report Abuse
Loc Dogg said:
Well...Today I ran into a big problem with my desktop computer. Here's my story...I tried to plug in an external hard drive into my computer in one of my USB ports and all of a sudden my computer froze so I had to manually restart it by holding down the power button. After it turns off, I immediately turned in back on again and I got this "CPU TEST FAIL" vocal message. There was no video output...nothing it just keep repeating the annoying vocal message. Today I spent about five hours going to a friend's house and testing all of his working parts that are easily removed onto my computer such as the PSW, rams, and video card except my friend's CPU because I didn't want to ruin it by accident. None of the swap fixes this problem. My last resort would be either buying a more powerful power supply or getting a new CPU or both. Anyone ever had similar problem who want to share a solution?

Was looking for some other info and happened across this (very old) thread today... I had a similar problem with my P4P800 and "SYSTEM FAIL CPU TEST". Turned out to be a problem with my USB hub...if I ran the hub in powered mode (plugging it's power supply in), it would "back feed" 5v to the motherboard via the USB port. The result was that even when the power was shut off (including unplugging the cord), as long as the USB hub was plugged in, the CPU remained (partially) powered. In essense, it never got reset, so when you applied power again, it was left in some weird state that caused it to fail the CPU test.

You can tell by looking at the green LED on the motherboard - if it doesn't go out when you kill the power (even when unplugging the PC power supply), it's getting voltage from somewhere - likely a USB device.

Unplug EVERYTHING from ALL the USB ports and see if that solves it. Once it comes up, you can plug devices back in. I ended up just pulling the power supply off the hub and running it in non-powered mode. I eventually replaced the hub with a new one and haven't had the problem since.

Loc Dogg Nov 26, 2007, 01:49am EST Report Abuse
I just received my new motherboard from Asus RMA and found its wasn't the motherboard. When I first installed the new motherboard it booted up to the log in screen and CRASHED, from there on I keep getting the system fail cpu test again. So it can either be my CPU or power supply...Just placed an order for a new power supply ( Corsair HX Series CMPSU-520HX) which is coming soon. If its not the psw then I guess I have to RMA my processor and wait for another month :( . Now at least I know my ram, video card, motherboard are working properly and narrowed it down to either the psw or processor. I don't think it has anything to do with the USB ports. I tried what you told but still get the same error. Well I just hope the new psw does the job...I've been to hell trying to fix my comp...

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.