Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1220 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:42am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
masse patrick Apr 29, 2004, 02:53pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee
Hi,
I replace the Antec True power 430W by an Thermaltake purepower 480W. Now, my mobo start every time.
If you have not an important configuration, you can use the same model (thermaltake pure power) with less power.
It's the PFC which posed difficulties for this couple (P4P800-E-Deluxe / PSU). A basic PSU without PFC go but the stability of the voltage isn't good...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
tiger thomas May 02, 2004, 10:45am EDT Report Abuse
I just found this forum searching for this exact problem.

Brand new Asus P4P800E-Deluxe, Antec Sonata case w/380w psu, P4 3.0c. When I power it up I get "system failed cpu test". I thought it was the cpu, it was not. I RMA'd the p4p800, got the new one, same problem.

Someone suggested the power supply, so I tried an old 250w generic and the system booted and ran fine. I went and purchased an Antec TruePower 430 ps and hooked it up and I get the same error. Hooked up the old 250w ps and it still boots fine. Does anyone know if there is an issue with the Asus P4P800E-Deluxe and Antec power supplies.

Wayne Chizma May 02, 2004, 11:03am EDT Report Abuse
I am currently building a similar system.
P4P-800E mobo
P4-3G Intel
1Gb matched RAM
ATI 9800 Pro video
Got the exact same problem.
So far, replaced the mobo - but did not fix the problem
All other components (with the exception of the CPU which I could not test) worked fine in another machine.
I heard from the computer supplier that this mobo is very fussy about it's psu.
I currently have an ANTEC 330 true power and was told that this ASUS board does not like ANTEC's PSU.
I am going to try a generic PSU to see what happens

tiger thomas May 02, 2004, 11:11am EDT Report Abuse
I am trying to find out if there is some way to get it to work with the Antec ps. It is just crazy that the old 250w ps that I have will boot this system and both new Antec's give the same error message.

masse patrick May 02, 2004, 11:14am EDT Report Abuse
Hi, Thomas,
Look at my precedents mails, ANTEC PSU don't ran with this mobo (idem Fortron and others with ACTIVE psu). But, with a Thermaltake purepower 480W (also active psu), it goes ! No problem since this exchange, my system is stable (i touch wood !)
So, go back to your retailer to exchange your PSU...
I do this, going to the retailer which sold me the cpu with the mobo and he tests it with Thermaltake's psu. So, i can see this PSU runs with before buying.

Wim Corsel May 03, 2004, 08:09pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi all,

I am having the same problem.

My System:

- Asus P4P800E Deluxe Mainboard
- P4 3.2 Processor
- 1 Gb Corsair DDR 400 - 2 3 2 6 memory (matched pair)
- Western Digital Harddisk
- Soundblaster Audigy 2
- Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

This new system did not boot. From the speaker it said: System Failed CPU Test.
I tried everything, but the problem seemed to be the powersupply. The first PSU was
a Aopen 350 W: the system didn't boot with it. Then I tried a High Quality 400 W PSU:
the system didn't boot with it. But when i placed a cheap Qtek 400W Gold Dual Fan PSU
this system did start with no problems.

Very strange: this mainboard/processor seems to work with no problems, when using cheap
PSU's. What causes this.

Jim B..... May 03, 2004, 09:13pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi Wim

Is that Qtek 400W Gold Dual Fan PSU or Q-TEC? If yes then I disagree with you, the quality of the build and the weight of the PSU, I would not call them cheap, if and when I need another this will be first in-line for me.

http://www.qtec.info/default.htm

Jim

-----------------------------------------------------
S.I.D.E
tiger thomas May 03, 2004, 09:37pm EDT Report Abuse
spoke to support at Antec today and they confirmed a problem between Antec psu and certain revision # Asus P4p800e-deluxe mb's. Antec gave me the # and ext to Asus support. Asus emailed me the info to get an RMA for a new mb. I am glad to finally find a fix, but after all is done I will have around $60.00 in shipping for a problem that was none of my doing.

The revision # for my board is 1.02

adam bechard May 03, 2004, 09:52pm EDT Report Abuse
where would it show the revision #?

Jim B..... May 03, 2004, 09:55pm EDT Report Abuse
I would expect it to be stamped on the mobo board

Jim

-----------------------------------------------------
S.I.D.E
Terry Hughes May 03, 2004, 10:50pm EDT Report Abuse
The same problem started on my new computer about two weeks ago. Only mine fails the first start of the morning. I have to hold in the power button to shut off the system and try it again. It will usually take two or three times to get it started. After that, it is fine even if I shut it off for a while. I use a new Enermax 470 Watt Noisetaker.

My system is a Asus P4P800 Deluxe with Bios version 1016, 512 matching Kingston DDR400 memory, Intel 2.8C Gig HT CPU and an ATI 9600XT video card.

By email, the people at Newegg, where I bought the board, said they would replace it, but they are out of stock. They said I could replace it with another board so I was going to replace it with the P4P800-E Deluxe. I thought this would be good because my memory etc would work in the new board. They compare very closely on the Asus web site. Is it a good idea or should I just wait until a real solution comes along?

Wim Corsel May 04, 2004, 06:31am EDT Report Abuse
Hi Jim,

Yes a Q-Tec PSU 400W Dual Fan Gold

Key features
400 Watt PSU
Suitable for ATX systems using a Pentium 4 or AMD CPU
2 fans inside for optimal cooling with lower noise
Noise level less than 33 dB(A)

I did not mean to say this Q-Tec PSU is a bad one. After all, its the only PSU that's not giving me 'System Fail CPU Test' from the speakers of the Asus P4p800E Deluxe mainboard.

The Q-Tec 400 W Gold Dual Fan Costs 36 Euro's, and the other PSU's mentioned in this topic cost much more Euro's. For example the Antec True Power 430(masse patrick and tiger thomas) costs 125 Euro over here, and the Thermaltake Purepower 480 W (masse patrick) costs 100 Euro.

What i mean is: why is it not possible to start my system (Asus P4P800E Deluxe/P4 3.2) with an Antec True Power 430 W. What on the mainboard or in the Powersupply causes this.

tiger thomas May 04, 2004, 07:02am EDT Report Abuse
The tech at Asus said that the problem is in the 4 pin connector. Something about the way the board senses the voltage. Before getting a P4P800e -deluxe from I would contact Asus support and find out if they are shipping new revisions. The revision # is stamped along the pci slots. Asus tech support is 510-739-3777. I will have to post the extension for the person I spoke to after I go to work today. The Antec tech said this person was the only one that he new of that was aware of the problem.

Wim Corsel May 04, 2004, 08:36am EDT Report Abuse
I sent an e mail to Asus about this problem yesterday. But they didn't answer it yet.

I also believe this problem is in the 12 V connector. But what is that problem. Is a certain type
of Powersupply the solution to the problem, or is it better for me to return the mainboard now,
and buy another type of mainboard from Asus, or for example an MSI. I have revision 1.02 this number was on the main board (P4P800E Deluxe).

I have read many problems with the Asus P4C800 Deluxe as well. With that model the problem seemed to be a bad solder on the mainboard, and causes the same : 'System Fail CPU Test'

tiger thomas May 04, 2004, 01:07pm EDT Report Abuse
Contact Asus support at 510 739 3777 ext. 4523 Tony Han. If your p4p800e deluxe will not boot up it could be the same problem I had with the Antec psu and Asus.

Wayne Chizma May 04, 2004, 08:27pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey all. . .

CHECK YOUR POWER SUPPLY!!!!!!!!
If you are using an ANTEC PSU I will bet that that is your problem.

Changed my PSU to another brand and everything works fantastic!!!!!!
There is something about the Antec PSU that this MB does not like.

Good luck to all.

dean dicarlo May 07, 2004, 02:28am EDT Report Abuse
Same Problem here....

I have been running fine for about 2 weeks and just turned on my computer and got the terribly annoying cyber-lady telling me my System Failed the CPU Test. I tried resetting the CMOS - no luck. I do have the 4 pronged power connector connected. My power supply is an FSP group 400watt. I did not bump the puter or do anything which might jar a connection loose.

Has anyone else gotten this message after having their computer working fine for a short time?
And, did the PSU change do the trick?

I have revision 2.0 P4C800EDeluxe,
Intel P4 2.4GHZ,
FSP 400Watt PSU
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Any advice is appreciated!

Bart Lenaerts May 07, 2004, 02:43am EDT Report Abuse
Hi all

I can confirm the PSU issue!
I had the change my new 460W Enermax Active PSU back to my 3 year old crappy 300W 'Deer' PSU. With the 300W (bare minimum requirement according to MB manual) I probably end up with an unstable system from time to time, but at least I can boot the system. FYI All the other tricks like a bios update, decrease pressure on cpu, unplug devices,... did not work.

Thank you Asus!;-(

(I've send an e-mail to Asus, curious if they have a solution for the Enermax PSU... to be continued)

Bart

P4P800E-Deluxe
P4 2.8 Prescott
Deer PSU:-)

tiger thomas May 07, 2004, 06:38am EDT Report Abuse
From my post above, I contacted Asus and they sent me a new mb yesterday. It has the same 1.02 R #, but when I hooked it up to my Antec ps it powered up and ran fine. If the issue was with Antec why would Asus take responsibility for the problem and send out a new product. Just glad that after a month and wasted $$$ I can finally build my new pc.

dean dicarlo May 07, 2004, 12:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Quick question for those that have found the answer to be a new PSU....

When you were getting the System Failed CPU test with the old PSU, did the fans keep spinning until you cut off the power? ASUS tech support said that if my fans kept spinning that it could not be a problem that would be fixed by a new Power Supply.

Thanks.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.