Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 924 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 07:19am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>
masse patrick May 07, 2004, 03:57pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ""SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST"" plz help meee
Hi, Thomas,
You say that ASUS returns an another mobo with the same PCB's version (1.02), but, what BIOS version is it ?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
dean dicarlo May 07, 2004, 08:29pm EDT Report Abuse
Well I tried everything (reseating, 2 new power supplies, sacrificing a goat) and nothing worked. I was ready to RMA and then I tried changing vid cards and now it works.

How could my ATI 9800 pro 128 work for 3 weeks and then start causing a SYstem failed CPU test?

So, I ended up using a crappy vid card and I guess this mobo just doesn't like good PSU's or good vid cards.

Thanks for everyone's help on the board!

masse patrick May 08, 2004, 05:29am EDT Report Abuse
Hi, Dean
I'have seen on others forums, people who have the same pb with p4c800... and some video cards ATI radeon (google : p4c800 ati radeon, you can see a list of sites). Asus knows about this pb.

m olotov May 08, 2004, 06:42am EDT Report Abuse
AMDs also require the second power connector. I had Halo gathering exception data issues until I plugged it in. Why do retail system designers leave it unplugged?

David Fletcher May 16, 2004, 10:29am EDT Report Abuse
hehehe, I even bought a refurbed P4B Rev.1.05 just to get 48-bit lba and use my 768MB sdram, same problem. I disabled the Speech Reporter in Advanced>I/O Config, and still the annoying 'cpu failed system test'. I let her boot up anyway, have installed Asus probe, and am very impressed with the overall performance of the board. I have since switched the jumper on the mobo to enable the speech post to use the case buzzer speaker that I dont have. I read through the posts and saw 1.PSU, 2.ATI graphics cards. This is an old mobo, 2001, and refurbed. Asus must be putting something in their bios updates that is too sensitive. All my voltages are over the minimum voltages. i.e.+12v is reported @12.505v, +5v reported @ 5.16v +3.3v reported @3.344v *****vCore reported @1.76v although I even set the bios to use 1.75v I have an original intel williamette 1.5GHz cpu, one of the originals that was released back in 2000 or 2001. Multipliers are locked @15x which is fine. I lose my onboard sound if I go over 109MHzFSB(1.64GHz). But, I have an ati radeon all in wonder. I also read in the mssg board that disabling the Halt On will stop the voice reporting. Im gonna try that next. I just dont feel comfortable knowing the speech reporter is repeatedly saying that mssg even though I cant hear it since I havent a case buzzer speaker. Temps are a bit higher than I feel comfortable. 41c-45c idle and upto 67c last night coding video for an hour or so with 100%cpu usage. I am really amazed at how well the board works though. I just wish disabling the Speech Reporter in the bios would shut that annoying nagging voice :)

Gretter Gretter May 20, 2004, 08:30am EDT Report Abuse
For the record, I have the same problem

P4 2.8
P4P800-E Deluxe
AOpen 350W PSU

I suppose I'm going to try with a new PSU first.
Wish me luck.

Gretter Gretter May 21, 2004, 06:36pm EDT Report Abuse
problem solved with noname 300W PSU.

Steven Jones May 22, 2004, 05:50pm EDT Report Abuse
I have been struggling with this issue as well. Here's my spin on the "system failed cpu test" error:

System will not boot with my 9800XT in AGP slot. It will boot with cheap o card in pci slot.

I confirmed video card isn't bad by testing it on other system.

I replaced my PSU and still have same problem. Both PSU's I have tried have been ANTEC. If this can't be resolved, I will purchase new non-ASUS mobo, probably ABIT. How can a mobo be pickey with a brand like ANTEC?!?!?! One of the most popular brands of PSU's!!! Definitely something ASUS should have tested before release.

Thank you.

David Fletcher May 23, 2004, 01:24am EDT Report Abuse
Well, I raised the core voltage to 1.8v, and now have this old 1.5Ghz oced to 1.8Ghz with sound working well. I still cant hear the nagging voice of course, but I havent switched the jumper back for the speech reporter to use the audio out channel instead of the case speaker. I assume that switching the halt on to no errors fixed it but I dunno. Im not gonna replace this dandy 350w psu, I just dont wanna here that nag. If I was on a 2.8GHz or better, Id be waaaaaaaaay more concerned.

Richard Sareth Jun 01, 2004, 09:01am EDT Report Abuse
Hey,

I got the same problem as everyone. After doing the research, many people encountered that the problem comes from the video and or power supply. I did reviews on power supply and found out that the psu I have is compatible with the mobo. "Thermaltake 480W". My video card is a 9800Pro All-In-Wonder. I changed the video card with my old 32mb agp card and still no good. So I thought RMA the damn product to ASUS.
Received mobo on Friday with same PCB 1.02. Installed everything carefully, BAM! SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST. Not again. What could be the problem?

Here is my specs:

P4P800-E Deluxe
2.8E Prescott
2 x 256MB PC3200 Dual Channel Kingston
9800Pro All-In-Wonder
Dual 8x DVD Burner (Pioneer)
WD 120GB SATA

David Fletcher Jun 01, 2004, 10:00pm EDT Report Abuse
I dunno what the deal is. I switched to Halt On no errors in bios, switched the speech reporter back to board sound and same thing. So there is no possible way to remove the speech reporter from my board. Jumper is back on to use the cpu buzzer speaker =P
I have sound now and have overclocked to 120mhz fsb. So this 1.5Ghz williamette is runnin @1.8GHz now, and my turtle ram pc133 is clockin @160Mhz. The speed increase is really noticeable, like I have a new machine.
For what it's worth, I switched out a boxed intel fan/heatsink with a p4 dragon orb. My cpu temp down from runnin @68c under full load to 53c under full load. In case anyone's thinking about dragon orb...for this machine, it has made a huge difference, like 15 degrees. All is well (except the damn speech reporter lying to me, this board rocks) and I can get back to coding video and all the wonderful stuff us nerds enjoy.

John Kasinger Jun 03, 2004, 05:12pm EDT Report Abuse
the mobo is ok. need better psu. Try HEC Silent 335. Many SI are turning to it when building around this mobo.

Steven Jones Jun 04, 2004, 08:59am EDT Report Abuse
I replaced my ASUS mobo with a new ABIT, left everything else the same and my system is up and running. No errors!

Frank Suban Jun 19, 2004, 06:34pm EDT Report Abuse
It seems from all the posts on Asus boards that the cause of this annoying message can be anything-- incompatible PSU, incompatible memory, incompatible video cards, bad CPU . . . My experience is with flashing the BIOS on a A7V333 mobo. I have a A7V333 coupled with an Athlon XP 2000+. The system ran flawlessly for about 18 months until I upgraded the BIOS. It would appear that the flash was successful--there were no error messages during the download or installation. In fact, after the flash the system ran without problems for about a week, then one day when I switched it on I got the "System failed CPU Test" (it took me some time to figure out what the voice was saying). Since then I've tried different PSU's, Video cards, CPU's, change settings . . just about everything suggested on the many message boards. Still no luck!
Once bitten twice shy! No more Asus boards for me!

ASUS ISCRAP Jul 08, 2004, 01:47pm EDT Report Abuse
Yeh same prob with my A7v333 +2600xp. Tried replaceing the PSU from a 400w to a 600w, no joy.

Only 1 thing i can say and thats, ASUS SORT YOUR SH*T OUT!!!.

martin akerman Aug 16, 2004, 12:28pm EDT Report Abuse

Terry Hughes Aug 16, 2004, 03:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Asus won't admit there is a problem with their boards interacting with other equipment. I have had the same problem with my Asus P4P800 Deluxe and now the P4P800-E Deluxe motherboards. If you look back in this forum you will see my previous posting.

My computer gets the System Failed CPU Test error when I turn it on for the first time in the day.

What I do is turn the computer on and leave it run with the speakers turned down so you don't keep hearing the message. Keep it running for two to five minutes and then push the power switch for five seconds to shut the machine off. Then restart the system and it should come on.

What really burns me up is that Asus tech support is aware of the problem but they continue to let people spend hundreds of dollars to buy different power supplies, video cards, and memory with no change in the error that is their problem in the first place. You can check their web site till you fall asleep and you won't see any mention of this error. Nice support huh?

When I built my system I started with the motherboard and built the system around it using parts that were approved by Asus. A lot of good it did.

I got an upgrade to the P4P800 -E Deluxe when I sent in my P4P800 Deluxe back with the same error. The Revision number on my new board is 1.02 and the Bios is 1002. Until something changes with a new revision or a bios fix, don't bother to send in your board. Continue to complain to Asus or they won't do anything ever.

Dave Karr Aug 17, 2004, 03:33am EDT Report Abuse
I just constructed a pc. 2 GB pc3200 ddr ram (4x512mb). AMD Athlon 64 FX-53. right now i have as**tty ATI Radeon 9600 till my x800 xt arrives. Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W (550W peak) PSU. Can ANYONE guess who makes my MOBO? THAT'S RIGHT!!!!! ASUS!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got the lovely ASUS SK8V mobo and it was working for about one day with windows installed till i powered it down, moved it to dad's house, and powered on...HOW DID THAT NAGGY BITCH GET INTO MY COMPUTER? HER VOICE IS THE DEVIL!!! HELP!!!!!!!

Dave Karr Aug 17, 2004, 05:25am EDT Report Abuse
now it works...what the f**k...i have one memory dimm in and my hard drive and vga, and i have disconnected everything and reconnected only those. will keep you informed of how it performs with added memory and devices

Pat G. Sep 14, 2004, 05:36pm EDT Report Abuse
Ok, I have the same problem.
Specs:
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
2.8 ghz intel
256x4 Corsair XMS
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

I have sent my board to asus and got it back. It ran for about two hours and then the bitch was back. I've had the CPU tested , the PS tested, the GFX card tested, the ram is certified complient with the Asus board. The last thing is to replace power supply. I don't know what brand is in my box right now. I will report back as to the results.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.