Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1005 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 18 - 06:12pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

"delayed Write failure" in WIN XP 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Tony Stewart May 09, 2004, 11:37am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: "delayed Write failure" in WIN XP
Regarding Dave Emily's post;
Dave has many issues going on here.... perhaps others can benefit....
1) The >139GB barrier requires SP1 for XP support.
2) The "Delayed Write Failed" means XP cache cannot write to disk... which can be every cause of write failure, even a drive that has spun down. If you find it works at a cold boot. Then keep the drive at room temp and force air over all surfaces. Anything that elevates drive temperature like defrag is a good test.
3) Do the drive checkdisk, don't check fix errors, then it won't force a reboot and see if corrections are needed. Corrections require that the drive volume be dismounted to prevent MFT or FAT32 conflicts.
4) Powermax.exe creates the a bootable floppy and the file you indicate was missing... try again.
5) If your XP installation is corrupt, use the XP CD and re-install later choosing a Repair of the Windows directory. If you can at aleast get to the desktop... repair by Run>CMD then SFC /scannow (enter)
If you cannot find a boot bolume then create a recovery diskette by copying these 3 files to A: NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.INI from your root directory or XP CD. (boot.ini can be customized)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
angryhippy May 09, 2004, 04:42pm EDT Report Abuse
Dave. Go into BIOS and reset the boot order to boot from CDROM. Put in your XP Pro CD and reboot. This is important. When you get the message "Hit any key to boot from CD", DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING! Just let the XP CD run. Your CD is a boot disc and hopefully will boot you into the desktop. As long as you don't touch anything, otherwise you will go into the start installation mode. If that doesn't work do a repair (also called an upgrade ) install, like Mike suggested. Here are the instructions for doing that. USE METHOD 2. If you aren't good with the command line stuff you can use method 2 to avoid using the repair console.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341...duct=winxp

If you think you might have a boot sector virus (sounds like maybe you do on top of everything else) try rebuilding your boot.ini files. Here's a link to instructions for doing that. Don't worry if you aren't getting the error message the article refers to.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184...duct=winxp

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Ian Tillen May 15, 2004, 10:41pm EDT Report Abuse
well my computer was working fantastic for a while, p4 3.0 intel 875pbz, radeon 9800 AIW, Maxtor 6Y120M0. i installed the new ati 4.5 catalyst drivers and the next day, i try to play any game off of the maxtor drive and i hear a click from the hard drive and it siezes. i dont know how to fix it, i hope microsoft gets a patch or somthing soon -_- cause this sucks. any help is appreciated thanks

Corvus Raven May 16, 2004, 12:49am EDT Report Abuse
I don't think a patch will help in your case.. Atleast not now.

--------------------------
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe PCB 2.00 w/ BIOS 1005 (cause? Dunno.. ATM)
AMD XP 2800+ @ 0.0 GHz 0MHz FSB (overheating for no appearent reason)
(2) - Corsair XMS512-3500C2 (5-2-2-2T) @ 0MHz
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro @0
Enermax 500W p/s (ok.
angryhippy May 16, 2004, 03:44am EDT Report Abuse
Ian get a computer and go to the Maxtor web site and download the power max utility onto a formatted boot disk. See if you can get ito the hard drive. Then run the diagnostics and see if the hard drive can pass the tests.
If not and the maxtor is less than a year old send it back to them for a replacement. They are pretty cook. I sent my 80GB HD back and they replaced it with a 120. Make sure to write the error codes down so you can give them to the customer service guy, The PowerMax is dofferent from the MaxBlast CD that came with the HD

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/?epi_menuItemID=8db0c...t/Software
%20Downloads

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
j m May 18, 2004, 01:25am EDT Report Abuse
curious.. but when i got my maxtor i had to format it to use it.. using the administrative tools, i had to set the disk to basic and take it off dynamic cuz it wouldn't even show up too.. and i also use ntfs...... i've never had a problem with my maxtor outside the initial get go, and it transfers way faster them my other drives because its ata133.. i just can't for the life of me even think of anything that could help you guys. Never quite seen that error on my machine or anyone elses yet.

Ian Tillen May 18, 2004, 02:05pm EDT Report Abuse
well i downloaded some windows xp updates, and all of a sudden the hard drive is working fine again?!?! i dont understand it. I also downloaded the powermax utility but it doesnt work with SATA drives. cant remember what patches i downloaded thou >< sorry.

Chris Gehlke May 18, 2004, 03:02pm EDT Report Abuse
I just upgraded my system to 2700+ tbred B and added 2 512MB sticks of 400 DDR running dual channel. I have not had any delayed write failures so far, i do have an ATI card, and installing the drivers didnt give me a problem. i have had a friend get the DWF error though, but he had tweaked his windows a lot. And i think the tweaking started that problem, not to mention he was on a XP installation from a year ago swapping motherboard and just repairing windows. He did a clean install of windows, and no DWF. I think it mostly has to do with people tweaking their windows beyond what it can handle. Try to keep a restore point before the time you started tweaking windows. Have a friend with a opteron server running 7 120GB WD JB's usb 2.0, and when they start backing up to the usb 2.0 drive they get the DWF's. But other than that the IDE ones are just fine. This system has 2GB of ram, and a ATI onboard video, but its not a Radeon. So i dunno how the problem relates, if its just to RADEON cards or All of ATI's video cards. But let me know what happens. My drive configuration has changed, I currently have 2 120GB 8mb SATA Seagate drives in raid 0 on my siI 3112 onboard Raid Controller, Maxtor for backup on the primary IDE channel, no problems so far. But ill keep you updated.

World Citizen May 20, 2004, 01:08pm EDT Report Abuse
I must be the millionth person with this problem. I used XP for years on my old PC without a problem but since I got a new Intel P4 I've been getting these delayed write failure messages once in a while. With a new PC and all new hardware & after seeing this unbelievable number of users here with the same problem, it seems entirely software related in probably 99% of cases.

I hadn't had it happen for a while. One time it happened in the past was when I rebooted after accepting tweaks made by PC XG Pro so I never used it again. The next time it happened was when I installed Agnitum Firewall but they made a fix for it which they said was caused by Hyper-Threading. TODAY I decided to install Cacheboost Enterprise and I ticked all the tweaks including 'large system file cache'. After that I decided to take a look at XP SP 2 so I installed it and after rebooting 'delayed write failure'. Couldn't restore a True Image so I had to do a full format to get here now.

Tweaking has triggered it twice already. I've always had the disk caching on as well as an ATI card but it never happened then - only mostly when I tweaked. The biggest problem I can see is if various programs we download may turn these tweaks on without us knowing until it's too late. I'm baffled but XP needs to be much more stable then this. A good OS shouldn't allow itself to become corrupted so easily so M$ DO SOMETHING!!

Karl Chappell May 21, 2004, 04:28am EDT Report Abuse
Be B..B....B....Brave and just download and install the XP Service 2 (Beta) - it's a whopping 273Mb and probably not perfect as yet but it's fixed a shed load of problems with XP for about 10 PCs in my office.... (they don't realise that they (we) are all guinea pigs yet). Do it.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

Corvus Raven May 21, 2004, 01:03pm EDT Report Abuse
Which Release Candidate? I have RC1 on CD but there is a RC2 available, and the third is suppose to be finnal. (later in summer or fall)

--------------------------
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe PCB 2.00 w/ BIOS 1005 (cause? Dunno.. ATM)
AMD XP 2800+ @ 0.0 GHz 0MHz FSB (overheating for no appearent reason)
(2) - Corsair XMS512-3500C2 (5-2-2-2T) @ 0MHz
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro @0
Enermax 500W p/s (ok.
D S May 25, 2004, 03:32pm EDT Report Abuse
I'm running into the same problems as everyone else.

But my setup is a little more complicated than most.

I was trying to get me 2 WD200GB drives to run in RAID0, but couldnt get it together, so I jsut put them on a promise controller card and hooked them up as single drives. (my OS is on a seperate 80GB HD)

When I was trying to add all my files that I had backed up on networked drives I started to get this error (and then my system would need to be restarted, but it would never get past the shutdown screen (with the error message popping up every 3-5 minutes), I eventially pressed the power button. now everytime it happens i just power off and on again...

strange things I've noticed are that in the disk defragmentor I can see both drives with about 42 and 43% free space (80 gigs free each) the drive I have setup for video wont defrag, but my storage drive will. also in disk managment the video drive show 100% free. but if i explore the drive through my computer I can see all the files/folders and even play videos off the drive.

I'm using XP, and have SP1.

P4 2.4G @ 533FSB 768 DDR (PC2100)
ATI 9700 RADEON
36" Sony WEGA + 21" P1110 + 19" Dell Ultrasharp
Logitech Wireless Elite Duo
SB Live
Gigabit ethernet and onboard LAN
(this is all in a Dell 5500 box, but it's totally full of stuff)

Benjamin Fox May 26, 2004, 07:37am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: "delayed Write failure" in WIN XP ( Solution - this is what worked for me )
Hi People,

What a fantastic error this is....not!!! About six months my computer started 'playing up'... sudden crashes/freezes/etc... Not reading from a cd-rom..... 2nd (160gb backup drive) started making strange noises...... slowly I started removing parts... Eventually I was left with a pretty bare system. The 120GB hdd and the burner.... This is when the delayed write failure appeared.

After much misery (thankfully no data loss though) and cursing at my machine. I tried something simple..... I don't know if this will work for other people but it worked for me!

I swapped my $3 IDE cable for another one!!! ............ you're not going to believe it... everything has worked perfectly since... in 3 weeks i've not had a single delayed write failure message... The computer now has all of it's components reinstalled and no problems...

Out of interest, after inspecting the yellow IDE cable there was a noticable kink/depression in the wire. All I can guess is that something was out of alignment, broken?? impendence??? Not sure there, all I know is that it fixed my problem...

Good luck people.
Benjamin Fox....

System specs
---------------------

Gigabyte mb
Athlon 1800+
120 GB Seagate
160 GB Seagate
GF3 ti-200 (Winfast)
512 mb ram
NEC-2500A DVD-Burner
Pioneer DVD/CD Reader
Windows XP Home

Chris S May 27, 2004, 10:42am EDT Report Abuse
Hey everyone. I had the same problem on 2 new systems , after getting the message on my new computer in dec. 2003 I thought there was something wrong with my computer. So staples took it back and ordered me the exact same system. One month later the same problem. I was very annoyed!! I have a Amd 2500, ati 9600 pro etc.... I talk with tech support in Ontario and check with a different discussions on this site about the issue and it pretty much comfirmed that it's the way the ATI drivers were communicating with xp. A new system was ordered in Feb with the same specs except for a 5700fx was installed instead and to this day the issue has not happened. If you noticed 95% of people with this issue has a ATI card installed. Just check for yourself and put the message in the search engine and check everyone specs.

Dave Calder May 30, 2004, 12:12pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: "delayed Write failure" in WIN XP. Problem fixed on my Gateway 200 Laptop
Luckily I was able to determine the exact program I installed when the problem started occuring. I had just installed "Launcher" (that controls the programmable buttons on my Gateway 200 laptop), when the DWF started occuring. Things were getting very bad. Started just hitting occasionally, then happened as soon as the desktop appeared. I tried the "system cache" and disk "disable write caching" fixes mentioned on previous posts (and on Microsoft Knowledgebase), but they did not have any noticable impact.

I was able to bring up task manager and see that one of the modules of Launcher called hotkey (which loads on boot from the registry) was very active even when nothing was being done on the laptop. I was able to get to add/remove programs through the "safe mode" and removed the program. My laptop is functioning 100% now. So much for XP running programs in protected virtual machines.

FYI, I did take the advice of a previous poster and did an immediate power off as soon as the error occured. Seemed that the more I tried to poke around once DWF occured, the more likely a file corruption occured.

This resulted in a scandisk like repair when the computer was re-started. Till this time, I had never seen an XP w/NTFS do this.

Another interesting note. The Launcher program was offered through the Gateway auto update program, so one would assume that since the auto update program is supposed to give you driver and other software updates specific to your machine, that it would have been tested. I expect that the problem is with XP not liking certain combinations of activities rather than a direct problem with the Launcher program itself.

Tibor Zangl Jun 01, 2004, 04:11pm EDT Report Abuse
Hello

I would like to tell you that i Have Seagate HD 200 GB and delay write failure message appear only if I copy more then 10 GB to external usb 2.0 Seageta disk......
Below 10 GB it works OK

f**king Amazing

Asus MB
P4 2,4GHZ
1 GB ram
ATI 8500

D S Jun 15, 2004, 11:37am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: "delayed Write failure" in WIN XP - Fixed
I was running 200 and 250 GB hard drives on a Promise Ultra100TX2 controller card. every time i filled the drives up to 100GB full I would get the delayed write failure.

All I did was remove the card and plug the drives into the mobo's IDE cables. It is also likely that a bios update on the card would have worked too.

Note be sure you also have service packs, plus all critical updates. one other step i took was to use the "Big drive enabler" from Maxtor's site. (note: my drives are all Western digital, and not maxtor. this fix works for all manufacturers, as it is really just a registry fix that allows drives larger than 127GB) http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/big_drive_enabler.htm

It should also be noted that this problem was NOT, in anyway related to a problem with ATI graphics cards.

If you have questions feel free to email me @ spam_dave@comcast.net I'd be more than happy to help.

ernie handel Jun 28, 2004, 08:00am EDT Report Abuse
I just fixed the error (new XP install) with the via 4-in-1 hyperion driver. Note though that the driver didn't install for me.
I followed the instructions, rebooted and then still had the error. I looked in device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers -> VIA Bus master IDE controller -> properties , and saw that it was still using an ancient microsoft driver. So I did this:
1) extract the hyperion driver from its zip package to give VIAHyperion4in1451v.exe
2) use winrar to extract the contents of VIAHyperion4in1451v.exe
3) do a manual update on the VIA Bus master IDE controller driver -> install from a specific location -> point it to the IDEWinXP subfolder of the extracted driver.
4) reboot

Meres Five Jul 21, 2004, 08:32am EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

I've gone through that Inferno as well as much of yours... right after
applying the latest SP2 Beta from M$.

I have Maxtor HDD, ATI card, 0.5G RAM etc... Familiar?

After modding the registry to increase PageTableEntries, I was happy to see
that I can copy large files from the master (Maxtor) to slave (IBM deskstar) without
DWF. Geeee... Now, let's try from CD-ROM to hdd .... DWF again :-(

Also, I have noticed that HDD to HDD transfer went below 2MBytes/sec only.
Have a look at the device manager....
HDD is reverted into PIO mode and I cant get back to UDMA-5 again.

Hit the search engine - and I've got:

-------------------- Copy pasted here --------------------------------------------------------------------
Accepted Answer from chicagoan Date: 10/14/2003 04:12AM PDT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x

The last four digits will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on.
Under each key, delete all occurences of the following values:

MasterIdDataChecksum
SlaveIdDataChecksum.

Reboot the computer. Windows will now redetect DMA settings.
------------------- End of copy-paste ----------------------------------------------------------------------
The original question was something like:
"How can I get back my HDD into the life (UDMA-x mode) again?"

This is worked!!!!!!!
The transfer rate got back to fine - and no DWF as well as
no DWF when copying large files from CD-ROM to HDD.

I have a theory of the origin of the DWF - It lies in a kind'a "catch 22" -
something like this:

1.- Few page table entries caused pagin errors since they are exhausted
too rapidly during large file transfers (with caching).

2. - Once the failure occured several times, M$ thinks that there is a problem
with the HDD where paging going to.

3. - Therefore - HDD is degraded step-by-step (MODE-4,3,2,..) downto PIO mode.

4. - Paging become too slow, failures become permanent.
GAME OVER (for F..king VM's)

More horribly - one can enter this loop if there are
some real CRC errors from HDD.

The only way to bring the system back to a normal state is:
- Increase Page Table Entries, then
- Trigger the system to redetect UDMA by deleting the mentioned entries (above)
from the registry

I hope this might help you.

P.S.
Also it would be fine if an expert write a script for the mods that
can be invoked at the startup - automatically....
----------------------------
m5

Nuelas Jul 23, 2004, 02:11am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: possible solution "delayed Write failure" in WIN XP
this is my darling:

intel d875pbzlk
intel pentium 4 3.0Eghz (1mb cache)
ati radeon 9800
modem intel v92
512 ddr2 (400mhz)
hd maxtor sata 260gb 8mb; hd seagate 120sata; hd120gb pata
liteon dvdrom; liteon dvdrw; liteon cdrw; iomega external cdrw-dvd
memory stick reader
conexant capture card
and other thing more

the solution is that you change your ide cables and check your power supply and the drivers of the ide and sata drives and check the hdd and give a ntfs data structure for best performance and enable the udma from the bios and scan your hdd

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.