Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 875 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 18 - 07:09pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

"delayed Write failure" in WIN XP 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Charles Betman Nov 20, 2004, 12:09pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: "delayed Write failure" in WIN XP
A few days ago I asked if anyone had tried to install XP SP2 to see if this would solve the problems ..... the answer is NO. I've installed SP2 and the f*cking DWF keep occurring.

So I keep looking at this forum every day in the hope THE SOLUTION will be posted!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Nathan Roberts Nov 24, 2004, 04:09pm EST Report Abuse
Ah well, the above hotfix did absolutely nothing for me...
(charly - I don't know of a usb version you can try)
Googling this error brings up more results each day - this is such a widespread problem now, surely there must be an easy fix just around the corner.
My password for the hotfix lasts for a couple of days. If anyone thinks it will help them, post your email (if this is allowed) and I'll forward it to you when i get a chance and save you being on hold for an hour.

Michael Yeang Nov 24, 2004, 09:11pm EST Report Abuse
Yes indeed, it is a widespread problem. In fact, this thread has been in existence since Sept 2002. It's like an illness that's spreading out of control. In this time there have been so many 'remedies' from so many sources. My question therefore is: has anyone who complained of this problem in the earlier days managed to solve the problem for good? If so, kindly share the cure with us. It would be most appreciated.

Condoleeza Rice Nov 25, 2004, 11:34am EST Report Abuse
Here's another crew who have been having a go at this.

http://www.bustrace.com/products/delayedwrite.htm

For interests sake

I tried this fix which is linked from the above site

http://member.newsguy.com/~siccos/

for a Maxtor 200g external drive 1394/USB. 1394 has been the problem for me as I only have USB1 but frustratingly without pattern it will connect now and again for varying periods. No probs with USB1 but oh so slow...

George Carlin Nov 27, 2004, 10:17am EST Report Abuse

Mike DeFina Nov 29, 2004, 05:11pm EST Report Abuse
Hello Everyone,

I've read just about every post about this problem and beat my head against a wall for a good 72 hours.
My application was to use DriveImage and write a 2GB system image file to my external USB HD Enclosure.
The following should solve everyone's problem. Period.

There are inherent hardware limitations (or defects) engineered into certain vendors USB circuitry. In my case the Intel 82801BA/BAM - 2442 and 2444.

I would think it is possible that a properly written driver update would fix some of these vendors hardware limitations. But obviously it must not be a top priority at these companies since I cannot find any updates from intel.

I went out and bought a $10 "StarTech" USB 2.0 PCI Card and "delayed write" is history. Gone.

This solution could also apply to anyone else having "delayed Write Failure" with other kinds of data transfer: eg. IDE, SATA, RAID, FIREWIRE, etc. Just get a different brand controller card, cheap reliable fix. Well worth your time rather than spending hours trying to find an unreliable workaround. If it's part of your brand new motherboard, return it - this error is NOT supposed to happen, ever.

Best,
Mike

Christian Daniel Dec 01, 2004, 06:31am EST Report Abuse
hey

i been reading these posts because recently we have accuired new USB memory sticks, and trying to write to them comes up with the DWF....

BUT .. it only happens about 50% of the time.. .and when it does come up with the error.. it appears that the files have been written.

another thing is that the error occurs AFTER the copying proccess is coplete about 20 seconds after it is complete..
the whole process takes just over a 70 seconds to say its complete. but the USB Stick doesnt stop Flashing untill it comes up with the Error.

Condoleeza Rice Dec 01, 2004, 09:26pm EST Report Abuse
http://www.bustrace.com/products/delayedwrite.htm just posted a new solution dated November 29, 2004 the essence of which is the following.

http://www.dvico.com/su_down_content.html website and download 1394MaxRec_v127.exe

Nice little transfer limiter you can switch on and off.

Its working for me!

Maupassant Sartre Dec 06, 2004, 07:09am EST Report Abuse
1394MaxRec_v127.exe

Is this safe for anyone to try this thing ?

Maupassant Sartre Dec 07, 2004, 11:09pm EST Report Abuse
I don't have a 1394 hard drive, so my guess is that it won't help.

I'm a little desperate.

I can't transfer files from my C disk to my E disk. I constantly get "Delayed Write Failure" messages, which force me to manually shut down my PC every time. The problem started as intermittent right after I installed SP 2 , I think. Now it's a generalized and constant problem.

I've tried everything mentionned here : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174/en-us with no effect (but I don't have any BIOS setting regarding forcing UDMA modes).

I have Windows XP Pro (SP 2)
My C disk is a Seagate ST360021A (60GB)
My E disk is a Western Digital WD 2000JB (200GB)
And I have Ultra 133 TX2 Controller Card.

I did a lot of searching, read many forum threads about the problem, including this one which looks like the most complete and interesting I could find on the subject.

From what I read, SP 2 has corrected the delayed write problem for some people, and started it for others.

Anyway, if you can help me, please do. Thanks.

Jon Davison Dec 20, 2004, 12:57pm EST Report Abuse
If any of you use a 3ware RAID controller, seek the following from MS.

870894 You receive a "Delayed Write Failed" error message in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005

not telling Dec 28, 2004, 08:14am EST Report Abuse
Hi

I've just come across a problem much like the one some of you guys have been having for TWO years. Basically, I have an "Icy Box" external USB2/firewire enclosure with a Maxtor 250GB drive inside. It had bee connected to my Shuttle (SN45G) for about 24 hours, when suddenly, upon clicking "H:" in My Computer I was informed that "The drive or directory is corrupted or unreadable.". Chkdsk would refuse to even attempt anything. It would just say "NTFS file system. Volume not stated"... most bizarre.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows whether this problem of corrupt data is a problem with the Icy Box (Prolific PL-3507 chipset), the Maxtor drive, or Windows?

I've had the drive in a Maxtor OneTouch enclosure previously and never had any problems, so I assume it is not the drive as such - but perhaps a problem between the drive and another component? I am currently running the drive via USB2 and it seems to be ok... seems being the important point to note. I have GetDataBack currently attempting to recover everything.

Hope someone can shed some light on this problem!

Best wishes,

Rory

BackYard Bodgey Jan 24, 2005, 12:32pm EST Report Abuse

Michael Yeang Jan 24, 2005, 09:42pm EST Report Abuse
Rory,

The fact that it worked well with the Maxtor OneTouch suggests that the fault may not be due to the Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller driver. I'm using the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller and the USB2 HDD works fine.

One reason could be a true corruption somewhere on the hard disk. I had an experience like this when a DWF occurred on my USB2 HDD and subsequently it could not be recognized. So I connected the HDD to my internal system as a slave and did a "chkdsk x: /f". After that all was fine when I reconnected it in the USB2 box.

Did you run the HDD in the OneTouch enclosure again to find out whether it was the HDD or the box giving the problem? If it's OK running again in the OneTouch, then it seems almost certain that the Icy Box is the culprit and you can go and complain to the vendor.

Are you now having more processes running on the PC? These could slow down the PC so that signals are not going to-and-fro the USB2 box fast enough. Maxtor has some help for those experiencing DWF errors: see http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_...faqid=975. Yours may not be due to a DWF, but could be something similar preventing the HDD from being read properly. Since it could detect an NTFS file system, the drive was detected to some extent, but not fully recognized.

Is your PC running hotter than before? One user suggested that heat could also cause problems by slowing down processes. Many processes running concurrently could also generate more heat.

Because running a USB2 HDD is so problematic and unreliable, I feel that the main HDD inside the PC is actually a backup for the USB2 HDD and not the other way around!

rajesh Ravi Jan 27, 2005, 01:00pm EST Report Abuse
Immediate Workarounds
The workaround is to disable SMB signing (either on the server, or the workstation). Disabling SMB (Server Message Block) signing eliminates the encryption of data passing between two machines on a network. This,
however, is the only step we've found that ensures data integrity when Windows XP clients write data to Windows 2000 Server or Windows NT Server.

To disable SMB signing on the server (Windows 2000 and Windows NT SP 3 or higher), edit the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanserver\Parameters\

Set enablesecuritysignature to 0.

To disable SMB signing on a workstation (XP or Windows 2000), edit the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\Parameters\

Set enablesecuritysignature to 0 and set requiresecuritysignature to 0.

To disable SMB signing on a workstation (Windows NT SP3 or higher), edit the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters\

Set enablesecuritysignature to 0 and set requiresecuritysignature to 0.

Conclusions and recommendations

If you are using a Windows 2000 server with XP workstations and you wish to have SMB signing enabled, you should install SP1 and the hotfix referenced in Microsoft's knowledgebase article 321733 on your workstations. XP SP2 also contains this hotfix, although we have not tested extensively with XP SP2. If you are unwilling or unable to rollout the hotfix to all your workstations, you should at least install SP4 on your server.
If you are using a Windows NT server with XP workations, it appears that you should disable SMB block signing or consider moving to another platform.
If you are using a Windows 2000 server with Windows 2000 workstations and you wish to have SMB signing enabled, you should install SP4 on the workstations.

Joshua Galun Jan 31, 2005, 07:41pm EST Report Abuse
I thought I'd share with everyone my experience with the dreaded delayed write error. I never found a solution - I am just adding my story to the pile.

My computer is:
ASUS A7N8X motherboard
Radeon 9700 Pro
Athlon 2500
Windows XP Pro SP 2
512MB DDR RAM
Creative Audigy 2

It's a custom built machine, but I did not build it myself, I just bought it from the guy who did. To tell the truth, I haven't had much time to play with it, and I don't even remember the specs that well.

Any how, I bought a SimpleTech SimpleDrive (http://www.simpletech.com) which has both USB 2 and Firewire connectivity. I wanted to use Firewire. But every time I tried to do a backup to the external HD, I'd get the delayed write error after about 3 GB.

At first, I thought the problem was the maximum transfer rate issue with the Prolific PL-3507 chipset outlined here (http://member.newsguy.com/~siccos/). So I updated the firmware on the SimpleDrive to the latest version, but this had no effect.

I then installed the Max128k filter driver, to no effect.

I increased the paging size in my virtual memory, to no effect.

I disabled write caching on the SimpleDrive, to no effect.

I changed Windows memory settings to emphasize System performance rather than Program performance, to no effect.

I created a paging file on the external HD with a system managed amount of virtual memory, to no effect.

I created a paging file on the external HD and specified 768-1538MB of memory, to no effect.

I increased the SystemPages registry value, to no effect.

I increased PCI Latency on card that contained the firewire port, to no effect.

I installed the DVICO software fix (http://www.dvico.com/su_down_content.html) to no effect.

I tried the Microsoft hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885464) to no effect.

At that point, I gave up. It's possible that eventually I would have figured it out, but I'm not really a hardware guy (my job is in software) and I got tired of working on it. I use it with USB 2 now, and it seems to work perfectly.

Like I said, I'm just posting this to hopefully encourage Microsoft to realize that this is a very widespread problem, and to let people know that they're not alone if the fixes suggested thus far in the thread have not solved the problem for them.

Steve Purchase Feb 05, 2005, 04:52pm EST Report Abuse
I have experienced the 'delayed Write failure' problem with both XP SP1 and SP2 for some time now. A similar problem would occur with the machine I use at work running Windows ME, altthough without the same error message. The drive would just disappear and the only way I could get it to be recognised again was to turn it off for 30 seconds and then turn it on again. I am using a Prolific PL3507 Combo based USB and Firewire external drive housing with a Maxtor 250G disk.

I tried all the fixes I could find with Google to no avail.......

Recently I upgraded to a Gigabyte K8NXP-9 Athlon 64 motherboard but experienced the same problem, time and time again. The motherboard ships with Unibrain IEEE 1394b drivers on the install CD but I continued using the default Microsoft IEEE 1364 drivers since they were installed with XP Pro.

I decided to try the supplied Unibrain drivers and so far have had no further repeats of the 'delayed write failure' bug.

Yet another M$/Windoze bug?

Magraal Feb 06, 2005, 02:18am EST Report Abuse
My experience with this error seems to defy all common logic in all previous posts.....
I started to get the error on my 2-month old XP SP1 install, I hadn't just installed any hardware or software, in fact my computer hadn't been rebooted in over 3 weeks. The drive that began playing up was an internal IBM 120GB, hosted on a Gigabyte 7VAXP+'s Promise RAID IDE bus (without RAID enabled however), with the drive's Letter Association being D. I first got the error after moving some large files from my E drive (same bus) to my F drive (different bus), when the D drive spat a DWF at me regarding a failed log write from mIRC (which was on some fairly inactive channels). Shortly afterwards I got the repeating string of D:\$Mft DWFs, at which point I hard-powered-down the computer. I left it off overnight, turned it on again this morning, only to have the failures resume. I'm currently running a full chkdsk on the drive, after which I'm going to completely murder System Restore until I -know- it's never going to come back as well as disabling SMB, and if that lot doesn't work I'll be formatting my C drive (12GB drive with -nothing- but XP install on it) and reinstall XP SP1. Will report back any progress or lack thereof.

hortence montgomery Feb 07, 2005, 12:27am EST Report Abuse
me too. I am a neauxb so can't give too many details... A Toshiba Satelite Series going on 3 years old, an external 120GB Western Digital USB/Firewire going on 2 years old, Windows XP fully updated...

I get delayed write fails, or similar error messages, and my external drive locks up 100% of the time when trying to transfer a file. Very annoying and limits my use of this computer. I downloaded the BUSTrace 1394 tester and it failed at 94% with error code "00000002h".

I will absolutely never waste my time contacting Microsoft or Toshiba about this I'm sure it will be a waste. Good luck to everyone working on this problem!

Tony Stewart Feb 07, 2005, 07:20am EST Report Abuse
Delayed Write failure = Cannot write to the HDD after a 1~3 minute timeout period. Often the drives have aborted and shutdown ...as in stopped running... often preceeded by a loud "click" when the head/arm rotor has latched in the head landing position (inner cylinders)
1) The most common failure is HDD internal overtemp and shutdown (Click)... so get a small fan to push some air between those hot bricks (HDD) and keep them cool!.
2) Next bad embedded Servo and the drive can't recover from it.. damaged media.. no repairable. backup and check your warrantee.
3) miscellaneous driver issues.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.