Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 880 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 18 - 05:40pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

"delayed Write failure" in WIN XP 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Rodrigo Laperuta Feb 09, 2005, 03:20pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: "delayed Write failure" in WIN XP
I have a Toshiba laptop, and an external case made by Argosy, went to the bustrace site and followed some guidelines, even run the test application they made available, but no success.......

I'd like to try the 885464 fix from M$ could someone be kindly enough to send me this fix?

rflaperuta AT gmail DOT com

This is my last resort before I start considering testing Unibrains ubCore firewire driver instead of Windoze XP sollution

I'm as stuck as Joshua Galun in pg 13 of this thread.......

By the way my config is:

Windows XP Pro SP2
Toshiba A75-S229 1Gb RAM

The external case is made by Argosy, it uses a Prolific chipset (tried the firmware flash and no success), inside the case i have a SAMSUNG 160Gb HDD

Any clues?

Thanks in advance

My Best Regards,
Rodrigo
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
jacques furlainac Jun 06, 2005, 02:59am EDT Report Abuse
Here is my experience with Delayed Write Failure
I us an Intel 2.8 processor with 2 gig ram and Windows XP
When I transfer a large number of files from one La Cie external firewire/USB2 to another one using the USB2 interface I get the Delayed Write Failed message and I have to reboot to have the drive written to work again.
If I do the exact same thing with my laptop using the same La Cie drives and using the same transfered files, I do not get the error message
Also if I use the firewire instead of the USB2 interface I do not get the error message even using the desktop computer.
I have use "program" in system performance and use the Microsoft advice to put in memory management 0xFFFFFFFF but that did not help at all

NT Doc Jun 07, 2005, 12:31pm EDT Report Abuse
Well I've tried this now on 3 different computers with the delay write issue and it has corrected it.
One of them is even a quite expensive Alienware system.

Purchased a new USB PCI card that uses the NEC chipset and put it in the system. No longer have the issue.

Don't know the root cause, but so far so good on all 3 systems using a new NEC chipset USB2 card.

ken baker Jul 04, 2005, 08:10am EDT Report Abuse

thumper millennium Sep 06, 2005, 10:49am EDT Report Abuse
>> "delayed Write failure" - Likely Trigger
Disabling your cache simply avoids the problem, since there is no cached data to write back, the failure can't occur. It bypasses the problem, at the loss of performance on your hard drive.

The actual trigger is caused by various Virus scanners enabling a security bit in your registry. This bit is normally turned off, but might permit a virus to snoop certain things. Thus enabling it makes sense, but then exposes the flaw in the Microsoft drivers.

See the following article:

http://www.tangent-systems.com/support/delayedwrite.html

this company spent a lot of time characterizing the problem after seeing that the Service Pack fixes didn't work.

To clear up a lot of the confusion that everyone attempts have created, in my case I had 5 perfectly working computers, running Win2000, all over 2 years old. I am pretty consistent in applying patches to O/S's, but am now thinking twice about that practice. I had NO delay write failures until SP-3 or so. I truly can't remember which SP in the past year was the trigger- since the effect is random and not all that frequent unless you are doing mass copies. After that point, the problem started showing up on approximately 9 disk drives- far too many to be a coincedence. I believe what has happened is that Microsoft instituted the patch for security reasons, but there appears to be a guard band condition that is being violated- meaning that the tolerances of the hardware and the action of the patch will, on occassion, cause a fault to be detected [probably a fake one]. When you see companies experiencing the problem across MANY systems, and on systems that never exhibited the problem before, it's fairly certain to be something that was newly altered.

In my case, there are enough firewalls etc between the machines in question and the public internet, that I am willing to fore go the security feature for now to see if the problem disappears.

Be warned, the security bit in question could be re-enabled at any time by either updating or maybe even running your virus scanning software. I will keep an eye on this aspect and report back.

I would appreciate it if people here could replicate my post to other forums that also discuss this problem. I only found the article by the luck of google. Hopefully, this technique works for all and also gives Microsoft the kick in the pants to find the real problem and fix it.

Good Luck!

thumper millennium Sep 06, 2005, 11:05am EDT Report Abuse
Something that I just realized might not be obvious to others, but was to me....

In the article, they mention the registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanserver\Parameters\enablesecuritysignature

Most of you will not be using a server product, so instead look in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanworkstation\Parameters\enablesecuritysignature

the workstation equivalent.

Hope this clarifies!

Ron Deagle Sep 30, 2005, 02:06pm EDT Report Abuse
I just built two new systems (both with VIA chipsets) in the last year:

HOME: Antec P160 case, AMD Athlon64 3800+, Asus A8V Deluxe, 1Gb Crucial Dual Channel DDR3200 RAM, 1xIDE 160Gb HDD, 2xSATA 120Gb HDD, 2xSATA 160Gb HDD, Ati Radeon 9800 Pro All in Wonder, Audigy2 Platinum

WORK: Antec case (can't remember model), AMD AthlonXP 2800+, MSI K4Mxxx, 1Gb Crucial DDR3200, 1xIDE 120Gb HDD, 1xIDE 160Gb HDD, Ati Radeon 9200 Pro All in Wonder, Integrated Audio

While trying to do a backup on my home system from the case's front USB connectors to a USB2 external HDD last October, I received the dreaded "Delayed Write Fail". I wrestled with this for about 2 months, installing/removing drivers and doing all of these voodoo witchcraft rituals found online and nothing worked. I gave up and said that I would just do network backups. Well, I finally have it licked...

I initially gave up, but the problem was revisited last week when I bought a 60Gb iPod. I would select all 1900 tracks, and my iPod would only copy 3-15 songs, REALLY slow, before iTunes gave me a "-36 File system error". I spent some time on the phone to Apple, and noone had a clue. If I only selected about 25 at a time to transfer, it would still be slow, but it would copy them all successfully

I took the iPod to my system at work (also home built), and it wouldn't even recognize the iPod (I would receive a WinXP warning that the USB device wasn't recognized). So instead of using the front mount USB ports on the case (also an Antec), I decided to try another USB port (even though, if I reset the iPod with it connected, it still wouldn't be recognized, but it would at least charge). I installed a fully shielded USB2 extension cable to the ports on the mobo. Oila! It now recognized the iPod, it syncs ALL tracks, AND IT SCREAMS!!

So, even though the problem wasn't the same, I said "What the heck" and tried it on my home system. I connected a fully shielded USB2 extension cable into the USB ports on the mobo, and once again, I met with success, as it is transferring as we speak at about 1 song per second (songs are encoded at 320kbs) and I have made it through all 1900 tracks with no errors.

Maybe the headers on VIA chipset mobos don't like the wiring included on most case's front mount USB ports, due to lack of shielding or whatever, but...

This has to be the happiest day of my life, getting this troublesome problem worked out. Now, I don't feel like I wasted $2000 for my home computer!

Oz Goc Oct 06, 2005, 09:50am EDT Report Abuse
I have a IOGEAR 320GB HDD external FW/USB2 having the same problem on my GIGABYTE MOBO + Firewire Card computer. Can not copy bigger files - no problem with MP3s and etc. (Anything over 100 MB gives DWF)

I tried the same device with my roommates stock HP onboard FW port and it works. No DWFs. I bet it would work with USB2 but I dont have one.

I tried most of the workarounds in this forum they dont seem to resolve the problem.

I have a IOGEAR 320GB HDD external FW/USB2 having the same problem on my GIGABYTE MOBO + Firewire Card computer. Can not copy bigger files - no problem with MP3s and etc. (Anything over 100 MB gives DWF)

I tried the same device with my roommates stock HP onboard FW port and it works. No DWFs. I bet it would work with USB2 but I dont have one.

I tried most of the workarounds in this forum they dont seem to resolve the problem.

Mark Blair Oct 15, 2005, 02:31am EDT Report Abuse
I just experienced the same problem, "Delayed Write Failure", on my system tonight. I have two WD 160GB SATA drives and it happened on one of them. Both were just purchased in May and nothing has changed recently (including registry edits) that should have caused this. I followed some of the suggestions here but I haven't gotten the error in the past few hours anyway. I did disable SMB Signing but I found that only the 'enablesecuritysignature' setting in the following location was set to '1' instead of '0'.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanworkstation\Parameters

Hopefully that's all it is. I did also check the LargeSystemCache entry and that was already set at '0'.

Mark Blair
http://www.userintervention.com
Russell Gilbert Nov 24, 2005, 09:06am EST Report Abuse
I was having the "Delayed Write Failed" problem as well. I finally resolved it (so far). I am running WinXP SP2 with four external USB drives, one internal IDE drive and two internal SATA drives (Raid 0). I would get the DWF message when trying to copy a large file (> 1gb) from a non-USB drive to a USB drive. USB-to-USB seemed to be ok.

The first part of the solution is a hotfix from MS that has to be ordered through their support site. The Hotfix is 892050 usbehci.sys. They will charge your credit card, but will refund the $99 after you confirm the hotfix worked. This hotfix seems to fix a known issue with USB devices not being recognized.

After the hotfix, I still had the DWF problem, but the USB drives didn't disappear like they had been doing.

I moved my USB drives from my MOBO (Intel 875) USB ports to a PCI USB card. Then they worked ok. I then when to Intel's site and got the latest USB software for the MOBO and applied it. Now everything seems to be working ok.

Chimerical One Dec 22, 2005, 01:33am EST Report Abuse
I'm getting a "Delayed Write Failed" error message on the drive letter represented by my IBM Deskstar 60GXP hard drive (20.5 GB). Usually, the entire computer freezes (mouse cursor can't be moved, screen contents frozen), and sometimes the following error message appears:

"Windows - Delayed Write Failed: Windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

Sometimes, the computer freezes at the BIOS upon startup, when it's detecting this hard drive. (I've triple-checked to make sure that everything's connected properly.) This hard drive is being used as "slave", while the primary hard drive (no issues) is being used as "master".

I used SMARTDefender software to check the health of the hard drive, and it says that it's "healthy".

Any ideas?

Garrett Rabenold Dec 22, 2005, 04:12am EST Report Abuse
wow, this thread is totally 3 years, almost 4 years old. My problem was fixed (on the maxtor drive) when it caught on fire. Seriously, the drive caught fire briefly, i smelled smoke, one of the chips on it is now GONE, but I am able to write and read data to it with NO problem whatsoever. SMART data also checks out fine. The other drives stopped doing that after i got rid of the Dell server (dell sucks btw), and now I am just running an XP 2000 with a cheap gigabyte motherboard & the same controller card i had in the dell, with 0 problems. I check my smart data with "SPEEDFAN", and its more than just good, or bad, it tells u details. About the IBM, it may have a bad write head on one of the platters that generic smart good or bad isnt picking up. Since its only a 20gb drive, and you can totally get an 80 or 120gb for 30 bucks (if you look for deals), I would just give up on it and buy yourself a nice Western Digital.

Michael Yeang Dec 22, 2005, 09:16am EST Report Abuse
You know the problems I had with my external Maxtor USB hard disk (see page 6 of this thread)? Well, it finally died, and I gave it a decent burial in my cupboard, together with the Sarotech casing as coffin. Now the whole thing has been replaced with a portable external USB casing containing a Hitachi 60GB 4200rpm laptop drive that I swapped out of my laptop with a larger capacity drive. No problem so far.

Does capacity make a difference? If it's not capacity, then maybe Maxtor's not so good, or perhaps the Sarotech case, which apparently contained a 40-wire IDE connector (black connector) instead of an 80-wire one (blue). It should have been 80-wire since I was using a 120GB UDMA 6 hard disk. This could have contributed to all the DWFs which eventually killed my hard disk. Maybe some of you guys out there have external USB cases with a 40-wire IDE connector too. No harm checking to make sure.

d l Jan 18, 2006, 10:07pm EST Report Abuse
For anyone trying to get this problem to repeat, here's what happens with mine:

Copying small or large files makes no difference in whether or not USB drives are DWF'd. But _some_ video files, most notably those compressed with DIVX will cause the dreaded failure. Some other videos will cause it, but it happens virtually 100% of the time with DIVX files, after which nothing on the USB ports will work, except for the mouse, which eventually fails, too.

ymmv

Martin Larsson Feb 12, 2006, 01:04pm EST Report Abuse

d l Feb 17, 2006, 09:53am EST Report Abuse
Here is what I believe the cause to be: OUT OF SPEC VOLTAGE DROP OR SPIKE

In my case, running a DivX file jerks at the CPU and the voltage regulator may not be able to cope with the drain, adversely affecting the USB bus so that it goes out of spec, freaking out either the BIOS or the OS, maybe both.
It so happens that I have an integrated ATI IGP card as well, so that may exacerbate things, again considering voltage requirements.
In the past, I have plugged in an external flat panel screen on the VGA out (notebook computer), with no problem. Now I plug in a big 19" monitor and within 15 minutes or so, DWF returns.

Dave C Apr 19, 2006, 08:28am EDT Report Abuse
I'm not certain of a number of things re " delay write" however I have experienced it a few times with an external 40 gig usb HDD. It's linked to a 2.0 usb righ in my computer so no hub splitting but Here's what I think about the possible causes.

First, If you log on to "freshdevices.com" and download their free "FreshUI" utility it has a delay write adjustment in there. I do not know the "optimal" setting for this so I've not adjusted it myself but it's in there. I've tested the speeds of my drives undercertain conditions and my conclusion is the following:

My internal drive (NTFS formatted 80gb in a sony Vaio Laptop p4 @ 2.2ghz) writes at accesses data at about 31,000 KBps (kilobytes/s) my USB 40gig NTFS external (in a 2.0 hub) is about 8,000 KBps and same in a 1.1 USB hub is a dismal 750 KBps. What I'm thinking is that if there's a HDD plugged into your USB that is of the same hardware configuration as your internal, then Windows somehow is mistaking it's capabilities for that of the internal. This is non tested hypothesis, but more concrete would be the simple fact that when windows goes to write the delayed data I think the time it take is significantly longer then the internal drive and if the system is disrupted during this process (eg you powerdown or pull out one of the usb devices involved in the writing of the delayed data, then you get the error. I've only noticed it when I've gone to powerdown immdiately after say, a large download from the web or a file transfer from one USB storge device (like a chip based jumpdrive) to the large USB NTFS drive.

Theses are merely educated guesses of my observations of this. I've only begun the experience this when I started using an NTFS based USB drive (about a 2 weeks ago).

:)

M W Apr 26, 2006, 02:59pm EDT Report Abuse
It seems to me that is' worth trying TURNING OFF INDEXING on your external (and other drives).

Here's a google link on the topic:
http://www.google.com/search?q=turn+off+indexing

You don't really use windows search, do you? You probably use google desktop search, or perhaps yahoo or microsoft desktop search, or something that even cost you a little money...

Apparently, unless you use windows search a lot, it doesn't need to be on.

I have had a Seagate external drive for awhile now (warranty expires in a week), and it never gave me a hint of trouble, until recently, when I added a lot of windows updates.

After that, I got DELAYED WRITE FAILURE on a daily basis. The drive and its data were never hurt, but I have been very very nervous.

I turned off indexing a couple of days ago, and the drive hasn't died yet, nor has windows burped.

Could there be a valid connection here? Won't you try it and report your results here?

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.