Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 991 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 18 - 06:56pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

"delayed Write failure" in WIN XP 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Edsel Delmiguez Feb 08, 2007, 08:16pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: "delayed Write failure" in WIN XP
i think it's a software problem. microsoft's software is buggy. i'm sure you can still use those maxtor drives with linux and other unix-like os'es. or you can try spinrite 6.0. it's a great program for repairing hdds.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
james payne Feb 15, 2007, 07:24pm EST Report Abuse
Has anyone had problems with Clone DVD/AnyDVD and hard drives acting up after trying to save large (movie) files?
I'm still trying to troubleshoot this thing and it's the only change I've made recently that could've caused these problems.(Well, that's not entirely true. I did re-install everything into a new case/ps bfr. this started, but I'm trying to eliminate the Clone DVD/AnyDVD possibility, first.)
Thanks, everyone.
James
PS: I have a new Western Digital SATA waiting for me at my parent's, I just have to pick it up. Will let you know if that helps.

james payne Feb 15, 2007, 07:28pm EST Report Abuse
Ah, almost forgot...
When I wouls try to save a file from DVD to Maxtor (IDE) hd, DVD Clone would stop after copying only something like 32mb and say "not enough space on drive", or something like that (I had well over 90gigs free) Could never get it to work, so uninstalled it.
James

james payne Feb 21, 2007, 02:40pm EST Report Abuse
Ok, just a little update: I used a freeware disk checking app (Emsa Diskcheck, I think?), and it pointed out 1 (just 1, mind you) error.
So, I removed that file (a bad video file, ... yup, I had a feeling about that DVD Clone software, but i did not see how an inert file, just sitting there, inactive, could have such a huge effect on disk performance?hm.)
The DWF's stopped, and performance levels are back to where they should be.
I'm still glad I invested in that new Western Digital sata drive, it's a good drive (quiet and quick), and eventually I'll use the space.
If anything happens, you all will be the first to know.
James

cynthia colley Apr 08, 2007, 01:30pm EDT Report Abuse
Ok, I sent my Toshiba Qosmio to Mackcam for repair of two USB ports and got it back with new ports and the service 2 pack installed. It seemed to work fine for a week and then I started getting this error. Eventually, it wouldn't reboot at all and i did a clean install. Now, after a few weeks of no problem, it is back. I have no idea where to start fixing this problem. I had called the repairman after the crash, and he said they had done a check on the system, including the HD and found no problem. Any suggestions?

Mike DeFina Apr 09, 2007, 05:20pm EDT Report Abuse
I would first looks for some patches on the toshiba website for your model... if that don't work I would replace the HD... are your errors occurring when you use the usb or just happening in general ?

cynthia colley Apr 09, 2007, 05:26pm EDT Report Abuse
They just have occurred at random, not when using the
USB ports...thanks..I'll check Toshiba for updates...

Jeremy Bentliff Jul 09, 2007, 06:09am EDT Report Abuse
I agree with your comments.

Is that you, Steeb, old buddy?

(sorry if not!)

james payne Jul 09, 2007, 12:54pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey everyone ... been awhile, but my old DWF problems are back. Will this ever end? Can bad RAM do this? Just note on another symptom, playback of dvd movies (I use VLC Player) stutters every ten minutes or-so, but only when the DWF's are occuring frequently.
Uughhh!!
James

ken baker Jul 09, 2007, 01:18pm EDT Report Abuse
I have been following delayed write problems for quite a while( well over a year) .....Some how I equated it to the external drive I am using. It is a USB XIMETEA NETDISK NDAAS 160MB unit & tends to get this message as the unit heats or as a function of time. I usually shut it off, turn it back on & the problem goes away for another while...
I had called our IS dept & they know less that I do...

I have subsequently purchased another drive & move it between the 4 PCs I have without the delayed write syndrome. I do not think that ANYONE knows what the heck is causing this or the solution...

james payne Jul 09, 2007, 02:14pm EDT Report Abuse
Ken, i don't think it's a USB issue, but it seems to be the hard drives, and/or chipsets. I use three pc's, and the trouble is only with the ECS slot A mobo, Athlon XP2600, 1 gig Kingston Value RAM (2x512), WD Raptor Sata, 36g (system drive), Maxtor 120g ide (data drive),Wxp SP1.
No trouble with my Dell laptop (older Latitude PIII), or newer AMD 64 system.
Maybe it's the Maxtor, maybe it's the cheap ECS mobo? Don't know for sure ... I've nearly given up on this mess.
Good Luck.
J

Mike DeFina Jul 09, 2007, 05:29pm EDT Report Abuse
IN My humble opinion - since this problem does not happen to me that often, but when it does I find the best solution is to replace the hardware with a different brand. EG. in my case I simply replaced the USB 2.0 pci card and it worked like a charm.. I also think it is a combination of sloppy, LAZY coding AND hardware. Robust, cleanly written software and hardware should catch this using simple error traps and self-heal the problem. :cool:

Jim Hurley Aug 03, 2007, 02:36pm EDT Report Abuse
This forum has been a big help to me so I thought I'd add to the
group knowledge.

I had this problem after I added another 500 GB external Firewire
drive to my system. I have four large external drives - one
is attached to USB, two to 1394A ports and one to a 1394B port.

I added an SIIG combo card that supports USB and Firewire 400/800
in addition to the motherboard support I have for USB and Firewire 400.

After getting Firewire 800 to run properly, avoiding resource conflicts
and many other adventurous exploits, this remained my LAST PROBLEM.

Because of the large number of files and directories I have, probably
Windows mis-manages the mapped I/O blocks.

Anyway, after I changed the registry entry for SystemPages from
the value '000c3000' to 'ffffffff', my current problems stopped.

I don't see any more delayed write errors and no pauses in the
Firewire I/O.

Previously, there would be lots of pauses transferring Firewire
data above a certian size (say, a few GB). Now I don't see any.

Jim Hurley Aug 03, 2007, 07:28pm EDT Report Abuse
Sigh...

Correction to previous post.

I guess I posted too soon.

The errors have definitely dropped significantly with the
SystemPages regedit. But they have not completely
gone away. I still get a rare one every now and then.

However, they are now just I/O error 51 - paging errors,
not so bad.

I completed a backup to a firewire device with none
logged - usually there would be many.

I did see one posted when I ran a full scan of Ad-Aware 2007.

I have not seen any delays while transferring data.

Szabolcs Tamas Sep 03, 2007, 02:24pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi All,

I tried to use an ATA HDD as an eternal drive via USB connection. I always got that damned delay write failure message. Today I modified the jumper settings of my HDD from 'cable select' to 'slave'. And suddenly everything was OK.

David Bookbinder Sep 26, 2007, 07:27am EDT Report Abuse
In my case, the problem began when I installed a new Maxtor 320GB drive and a separate controller card. However, I also defragged the drive GoBack lives on, so it's hard to say what the specific cause was. After eliminating hardware as the problem (it's happened on all three hard drives in the system, and moving drives to different controllers and replacing the cables did no good), I ran across this thread and the reference to changing the system pages registry setting and reinstalling GoBack. Too soon to tell, but so far, after doing a few backups of some large files, so good.

- David

David Bookbinder Sep 26, 2007, 11:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Okay, the Registry fix did not completely solve the problem, though it did seem to
help isolate it.

I tried moving the new drive to the motherboard controller and then back to the add-in
controller, and found no difference. However, now I see that the only partition that
seems to have a problem is the largest partition on the newer drive. I can copy a
2GB file to any of the three partitions on my other two drives, and to two smaller
partitions on the new drive. However, as soon as I start to copy this file to the
first and largest partition of the new drive, I get the DWF error.

I also can't turn off write caching for any of my drives. The choices are grayed
out. I'm wondering if there is a way to do this in the registry. I'm running XP Home,
if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this issue.

- David

David Bookbinder Sep 27, 2007, 06:41am EDT Report Abuse
>> GoBack the culprit!
Apparently GoBack was the culprit, on my system. When I turned it off, the problems seem to go away, then return when I turned it on again. Uninstalling and reinstalling seems to have solved the problem, at least so far, after about 12 hours of hunting for solutions. Ugh!

Mick S Nov 08, 2007, 10:02pm EST Report Abuse
I got a delayed write failure after accidently unplugging my external usb drive. Now windows xp won't recognize the drive anymore. When I plug in the drive, my system freezes when I try to use a program that tries to access the drive (like Norton Partition Magic or even when I right click my computer and select manage). I was able to read my data by plugging it to a computer with Ubuntu. I think the partition table is corrupted. I just want to format the drive so I can use it again. It's a 100GB Seagate drive formatted in NTFS. I tried formatting it in Ubuntu, but it wouldn't work. Help please.

Thanks.

David Bookbinder Nov 09, 2007, 08:17am EST Report Abuse
In my case, the problem began when I installed a new Maxtor 320GB drive and a separate controller card. However, I also defragged the drive GoBack lives on, so it's hard to say what the specific cause was. After eliminating hardware as the problem (it's happened on all three hard drives in the system, and moving drives to different controllers and replacing the cables did no good), I ran across this thread and the reference to changing the system pages registry setting and reinstalling GoBack. Too soon to tell, but so far, after doing a few backups of some large files, so good.

- David

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.