Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1111 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 18 - 06:41pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

"delayed Write failure" in WIN XP 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Rick Wilson Jul 06, 2003, 09:31am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: "delayed Write failure" in WIN XP
Kris, were you able to determine exactly which update caused the problem?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
kris Carpenter Jul 06, 2003, 09:06pm EDT Report Abuse
Rick,

Wish I knew, but most of the time I* do no updates and close the window. So when I do it is more than one and I did not pay attention to this one. The last sucessful one was SP1 and today was internet explorer security update that I might try in a few days. I just remember security updates. Sorry that I am no help, but if I stumble across the correct one I will post it.

Vadim Rapp Jul 06, 2003, 09:59pm EDT Report Abuse
I was able to reproduce this issue by changing "memory usage" preference between "system cache" and programs" in system properties/advanced/performance/advanced. With "system cache" I get stable "delayed write failure"; with "programs" the system works OK. You may want to give it a try.

Sunny Sa Jul 08, 2003, 06:17pm EDT Report Abuse
hey

i just recently got that error with regards to my secondary harddrive

i restarted the computer and now the drive isnt even visible in my computer
i only see my primary c drive

the seconadry d drive has vanished

any ideas on fixing this problem???

Vadim Rapp Jul 08, 2003, 06:23pm EDT Report Abuse
Check in device manager, also
administrative tools/computer management/disk management.

Sunny Sa Jul 08, 2003, 08:49pm EDT Report Abuse
i cant seem to find it anywhere
its over for me isnt it?

Vadim Rapp Jul 18, 2003, 05:36pm EDT Report Abuse
Here's a response from ATI on my submission.

=====================
Thank you for contacting ATI Customer Service Canada.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your email has been assigned:
TicketGUID:{62AECAAE-A29A-11D7-A576-00508BE2D04}

Please include the above identifier in all future correspondence
relating to this ticket. Note: The TicketGUID identifier must appear
in the message body, not in the subject line.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Delayed Write Failed error after installing ATI Enhanced drivers.

This issue can affect any device driver install under Windows XP. The issue is not specific to ATI.

In some instances, after installing the ATI display drivers, the error "Delayed Write Failed" will appear after restarting Windows. Not all configurations are affected.

In most instances this is a result of changes to the Virtual Memory and Memory Usage settings in the System Properties. Change the Memory Usage setting back to the default value of "Programs" will prevent the error from occurring. Also, you should set your Virtual Memory to system managed.

- Open the System Properties
- Select the Advanced tab
- select Settings under Performance
- select the Advanced tab
- select the "Programs" option for Memory Usage

Regards,

Customer Service Canada
ATI Technologies, Inc.
http://www.ati.com
=====================

helpful, isn't it. ATI's "award-winning" technical support strikes again.

Rick Wilson Jul 18, 2003, 05:40pm EDT Report Abuse
here's a link to the page for the reg fix from ATI:

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/atiproblem.htm

If you follow the instructions exactly, this will it work. I am using it now.

Jonathan Baker Sep 01, 2003, 02:29am EDT Report Abuse
Well, after reading this posting, I'm inclined to agree that this is a problem that starts with the LargeSystemCache setting. It may also be caused by the ATI Radeon Drivers, but that's just a symptom.

I am running an Asus A7V8X, with 2x512 MB RAM cards, an ATI Radeon 9500, under Windows XP. I first encountered the problem randomly when I was watching a DVD on the machine. The problem is, once it starts it's persistent.

I was reading this thread (thanks to those before me) and realized that I had left my settings (My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache set to 0x00000001 (on). Turn this to 0x00000000 (off) and VOILA! the problem goes magically away. On to SAFE mode, to make registry changes...

I suspect this is a problem somewhere between the ATI drivers and Windows XP, so I'll post this over on the ATI forums and hope they will check it out.

In the meantime, thanks to all.

Jonathan Baker
Arlington, VA

Sunny Sa Sep 01, 2003, 09:09am EDT Report Abuse
i was just wondering - where exactly the LargeSystemCache is and how i go about editing

please explain it in terms a blubering idiot like myself can understand
i would greatly appreciate it

Rick Wilson Sep 01, 2003, 09:35am EDT Report Abuse
Right click on My Computer, choose the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings (the top one), choose the Advanced tab again, then in the middle, under Memory Usage, tick the System Cache check box, the default is Programs.

However, DON'T do this if you are running an ATI video card and SP1, until you look at the link I posted above. Download their patch and apply it after you make the change, but BEFORE you reboot your computer.

This settings may increase performance by allowing more files to be cached in memory from the hard drive, and is best suited for servers, and systems with a lot of RAM.

I have a gig of ram and don't notice any significant performance increase by enabling this. But then I play memory intensive games, and would prefer to keep a lot of memory free for them anyway. If you run a server, or are constantly accessing files from the hard drive, this may boost your performance.

Read all the instructions at the link I put in the posting above before you do this (especially if you own an ATI video card) or you will trash your hard drive as soon as you reboot.

Hope this helps.

Karl Chappell Sep 18, 2003, 06:22am EDT Report Abuse
I've contacted a company called Microsoft and they (well not 'they' but a kind gentleman called Michael) sent me a fix for this. If you would like this sent to you then email me. It actually fixes the Write Delay Failure problem. - Wowee.

Rick Wilson Sep 18, 2003, 12:53pm EDT Report Abuse
sure send it to me, I'd like to compre it with mine....any idea if large system is really any advantage to the hardcore gamer with a gig of ram?

Sky Ryder Sep 19, 2003, 10:12am EDT Report Abuse
Sure! You can send that little "patch" to me, too.. Thanx..:)

john Hopkins Sep 21, 2003, 03:58am EDT Report Abuse
I'll take a copy to if possible sorry if I posted this twice

Karl Chappell Sep 22, 2003, 08:02am EDT Report Abuse
Don't know your email addresses yet guys - email me karlc@frankhirth.com and I'll send by return.

Mithrandir Greybeard Oct 07, 2003, 01:28pm EDT Report Abuse
No, it's not windows update, not the video card or cache settings, it's just a bad physical spot(s) on the hard drive. Back up your data immediately, and buy a new hard drive. Part of the problem is that there is no decent utility programs for NTFS file systems. chkdsk c: /r is the only hope i know of to fix the problem. I believe that if you format the drive with fat32 and then run disk utilities on it the drive may become usable again. If that doesn't work, maybe spin rite from http://www.grc.com. But believe me, stop wasting hours and hours trying to figure this one out and get a new hard drive. I'm serious. Hard drives are cheaply made, it's a shame as they are so critical.

Mithrandir Greybeard Oct 07, 2003, 01:39pm EDT Report Abuse
i have experience with this one, please don't waste hours and hours trying to fix this one; back up your data immediately and get a new hard drive. The problem is the disk can't read/write to a certain section of the drive and chkdsk c: /r is the only thing that might fix it and even if it does it's likely that it will come back to haunt you. Possibly formatting the drive with fat32 and running disk utility might fix it maybe spin-rite from grc.com but if you got the money, new hard drive now!

Doug Campbell Oct 07, 2003, 06:03pm EDT Report Abuse
I have had this problem also - new XP installation on a new 160 GB Seagate disk, 512 M RAM, and the dreaded ATI Radeon 9200 card. Didn't occur until I installed the ATI drivers. Did a full checkdisk of c:, set the registry setting for Memory Management as previously posted, rebooted and no further problems...... touch wood. Agree, it is prettys**te that XP can't cope with a decent amount of memory assigned for cache, especially as I want to use this machine as a server.

Anonymously Anonymous Oct 11, 2003, 10:57am EDT Report Abuse
hi :) i recently started getting the same error, with my new 120GB 8MB buffer WD Caviar. I tried reformatting but it still doesn't help. it's not my sytem drive, it's only intended for file storage. the strange thing is i copied 65 GB on it, didn't put anything anymore there for a few days, then when i wanted to copy 150MB avi files there, it started giving me these errors.
it accepts small files like MP3s though. there are a few possible causes, from what i've seen across the net...
1. it might be because i have 7 IDE devices + 1 floppy drive. although my PSU is strong enough (450w) and i think my IDE controller card is quite decent, maybe it's just a bit to much...
2. it might be my new HDD, so tomorrow monday i'm going to return this thing and tell you all how the new drive does :) i hope if it does work, it keeps working unlike this one >_<
cheers ^_^

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.