Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1103 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 18 - 06:44pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

"delayed Write failure" in WIN XP 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
HauptmannPhobos Dec 04, 2003, 03:49am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: "delayed Write failure" in WIN XP
Havent read whole thread so somebody might sed this before:
I have via chipset and 4in1 v4.50 caused those failures to me, now installed v4.51 they work fine.

I believe in firepower..
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
NT Doc Dec 08, 2003, 05:03pm EST Report Abuse
I'm curious. One thing that I think is common is that all of these systems use either a built-in (on the motherboard) controller chipset from Promise Technology or an External controller card from Promise Technology.

Can anyone confirm if they have this problem with a NON Promise Technology controller card?

I attempted to use a different one from SIIG as a test. I installed the latest drivers for it inside of my running XP OS. Then shut down and switched the hard drives over to the SIIG controller card (0860) and attempted to boot. It would not boot. It saw both of my drives, but would not boot up. Not sure if I was just unlucky and got a bad card or what. (a purchase from Frys who allows too many returns and then packages them back up and sells them again).

Nick King Dec 21, 2003, 08:04pm EST Report Abuse
I've cured the problem doing the following:-

Editing the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache set to 0x00000001

Changing the UDMA mode to mode 4 on my Silicon Image SIL0680 Raid Controller (default was 6 or 7 depending on the HD attached), I didn't make any changes to my onboard IDE controller as none of these drives ever reported an error and they are still set at UDMA mode 5.

Not had a problem in over a week since I made the changes.

NT Doc Dec 22, 2003, 04:07am EST Report Abuse
I'm glad to hear that you feel your system is now working okay, but to me that is not a fix or solution, rather a work-around the problem until there is a fix.

Having to slow down your system is not something I consider a valid solution to the problem.

I still say the big mfg need to find a "real" solution and post the fix for everyone to use.

Also, I see many that modify the memory settings, but I never did and I still have this problem with the delayed write. I also don't think you should have to modify your memory settings one way or the other. You should be able to set either one you choose and it should run perfectly fine.

jacob smith Dec 22, 2003, 07:41am EST Report Abuse
I had the same problem, but I found a great solution at another forum. I'd like to thank this gentleman for his help. Let me copy his comment here:
"I am a Microsoft support engineer for Windows XP and had a customer call in with the write delay error and was able to fix her by downloading a XP driver for her disk controller card. When she installed XP, and this is true for everyone, the installation put a MS generic driver for her controller. We went to the mfg's web site and downloaded the XP driver for the card and her problem is now resolved. She was getting this error when trying to write above 140 gig on a 200 gig Maxtor 2000. Go to device manager and she if you disk controller has a Microsoft driver with a date of 6/2001. If you have that driver installed go to the mfg's web site for your card and get their XP driver and your problem should be resolved"
It worked fine with me. I don't have this annoying problem anymore...

NT Doc Dec 23, 2003, 01:55pm EST Report Abuse
Thanks Jacob,

Yes, I've seen that posting as well and I think I may have included it in a list of URLs to review. However, this is not the case for everyone. I am using the vendors driver, not the Microsoft driver and it does not fix the issue.

Really glad to hear that it was a fix for you. At least some users are able to fix this issue using one of the many suggested fixes. I'm just hoping that Microsoft will come out with a fix that addresses the root of the problem and fixes it for everyone.

Thanks again for the followup. Hopefully it will help others to correct the annoying issue on their system.

Lockman 99 Dec 24, 2003, 05:29pm EST Report Abuse
I also have the same problem, but the problem is only limited to using the ADS USB 2.0 drive kit, Dont matter what drive I use cause I have 4 drives and used them all with the drive kit, I also have a ATI 9800 pro and using XP pro.

Also prior to using XP PRO I also used WIN 2000 pro which also had problems using the drive kit,the only difference between 2000 and xp is that with 2000 it would not say write failure, It would just hang and I had to reboot,Also during 2000 pro I also had ATI 7200 before geting the 9800 pro that had the same symptom.

This problem has been going on for about a year now and I have not found a solution yet,I really dont know who to blame but I figured I just flushed $100 bucks down the toilet with this ADS product.

All I know is that I have friends using other kits than ADS and have no problems with XP or 2K.

Maybe the problem is ADS !

Lockman99

Tony Dante Jan 03, 2004, 02:03pm EST Report Abuse
Hopefully this will help somebody as it has helped me.

I was getting the Delayed Write Failed errors on my Maxtor 60 GB drive, which was the 2nd drive in my system. It's connected to a Promise Ultra133 TX2. After formatting the drive and running the Maxtor Powermax software with no errors found, I decided to follow a post here and update the driver for the Promise Ultra133 TX2.

Knock on wood, I haven't seen an error yet. I've written 4 GB of data to it, deleted it, re-wrote 4 GB, sent 4 GB to a DVD+RW, yada, yada, yada in an attempt to get a Delayed Write Failure. So far...so good.

I hope this helps somebody else!

Tony

Kenneth Hurley Jan 04, 2004, 05:18pm EST Report Abuse
I too was getting this delayed write failure, but only on a ADS technologies firewire drive, which is a 200 MB hard drive. I'm pretty sure this is a Microsoft bug. There is an explanation of the problem and what exactly is going on at:

http://www.bustrace.com/products/delayedwrite.htm

Lockman 99 Jan 06, 2004, 06:33am EST Report Abuse
Well, it seems that there are all sorts of WDF problem with Gforce,ATI,Maxtor,Western Digital,Segate and few other hardware configrations, In the end we all share one thing.

That MICROSOFT.

DAMM YOU

Ok I feel better, I better start learning Linux

Stan Leong Jan 08, 2004, 07:04pm EST Report Abuse
I fixed the problem...well, at least my problem. First, is the problem win xp related or is it hardware?
I found out that my drives had writing errors in DOS. I was able to test it in two ways, using Norton's
Ghost and Partition Magic. Ghost can make an image of a partition and can run a crc test on that image.
The image file I got was 1.5 gigs....a good size for testing. Conclusion: hardware problem.

Second test, used a old 6 gig hard drive and 80 gig hd. No 137 barrier problems to worry about. Same
results, errors. Next test, moved ultra10000 card to another computer with 80 gig hard drive...worked
flawlessly!! Drive good, card good, motherboard screwy???

Fix....fixes...I'm not quite sure. I updated motherboard bios, resloted the card, check all connections,
and...turned off the motherboard ide controller. did over 50 gigs of data transfer with no errors. For the
kicker, I turned on the mb ide controller and it still works fine.

I think when I turned off the mb ide, the chain of command on the pci bus changed, allowing the card
to work properly and turning it back on didn't mess it up again. I think this is a very easy thing to try and
worth a shot. The pci bus has to coordinate all the data from vid cards, two ide controllers, network card,
etc. Turning off or removing cards and reslotting them will reassign them and get them cooperating better.

I notice on a via mb bios, it had a switch to enable or disable ide bus mastering. And when I re-read
or maybe it was when I finally read the install guide, it mention installing on a bus mastering pci slot.

I hope this helps some of you out there.

dave graney Jan 09, 2004, 01:27am EST Report Abuse
Here's my two cents worth:
Hardware:Configuration:
Win XP Pro / all updates via web
Laptop / ATI Mobility Radeon / 40 gig hd / 512 ram
USB external 120 gig hd - western digital

Everything ran flawlessly for months of intense use then all of a sudden I started getting what is detailed in everyone elses problems above. Delayed write failed messages mentioning a file of $ or something...
Anyway, I tried everything - changing the way it is caching, changing the default microsoft drivers, etc, etc. ...and ultimately it started getting worse and worse and had to run chkdisk several times until eventually it just could mount or anything and only a dos based repartition / format worked.

I now have the newly formatted drive. I have rolled my ide driver back to the microsoft default. ...and turned any kind of caching off on this drive. Have turned of system restore for this drive. oh and keeping my fingers crossed.

My Advice:
1. AS SOON AS YOU GET A DELAYED WRITE ISSUE, BACK UP ALL THE DATA ON THAT DRIVE IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. That's all.

My Opinion:
Yes it is most likely a Microsoft issue as that seems to be what we all have in common, perhaps along with the other failry common factor of large external / USB hard drives. I am kinda wondering when a fix will come for this as it makes my large hard drives very volatile and untrustworthy - not a good position to be in. Please Microsoft - there is enough of us and this is a very serious problem for you to be fixing it...

PLEASE......

Corvus Raven Jan 09, 2004, 02:21am EST Report Abuse
(I read through the first 3 pages.. or 4? of the posts..)

Say. did you turn it off? before shutdown?

(or HD bad..)

EDIT:
After reading through.. Nevermind. Sounds more like the Uh.. we know there is something wrong.. but put it out anyways...Did I ever mention M$? not this time? Read it again. :) about nine words back :)

--------------------------
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe PCB 2.00 w/ BIOS 1005 (cause? Dunno.. ATM)
AMD XP 2800+ @ 0.0 GHz 0MHz FSB (overheating for no appearent reason)
(2) - Corsair XMS512-3500C2 (5-2-2-2T) @ 0MHz
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro @0
Enermax 500W p/s (ok.
Jake Bichler Jan 10, 2004, 08:56am EST Report Abuse
Hello, I thought I would post some information I came across when I had this problem. It happened to a 160GB Maxtor drive on a Promise 133 PCI controller. I also have an ATI video card. What triggered it is when I ran a Windows defrag. Once I restarted my computer it occured. I read a lot of different forums online and found the ATI fix. I was going to do that when I noticed a post about using the "last know good configuration" option. I tried that and it seemed to work.

Also, Microsoft does have this is their KB. Their solution was to make sure an 80 wire cable was being used on the drive and/or to flush the drive cache. The only problem is I don't think you can flush the cache if the drive is on a controller card, for me the options to do so were disabled.

Corvus Raven Jan 10, 2004, 01:35pm EST Report Abuse
? aren't they 80 conductors anyways? Sounds like M$ dosen't know or want to tell what is going on.

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro @0
Enermax 500W p/s (ok.
dave graney Jan 10, 2004, 08:20pm EST Report Abuse
Okay, my problem has turned out to be a little different from others here and I have since fixed it. Turns out the 120gig WD HD I was using is very fussy about the cables it is using. Initial one was stuffed and all HD tests crumpled on it. Second one was too long and it happened again - but I only tested WD drive with this. I tired a thrid one out of desparation and this fixed all my issues with Delayed Write errors in all drives. So, in the end my issue did turn out to be a hardware related issue.

Sorry for blaming you MicroSloth... :-)

Yay it's gone!!!!!!!!

Corvus Raven Jan 10, 2004, 10:00pm EST Report Abuse
Some of those drives were defective too..(if I remember correctly)

But don't feel bad for old slothful. :)
They have more then enough to be blamed for. and then some more, for that which has yet to be released ;)

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro @0
Enermax 500W p/s (ok.
Vadim Rapp Jan 11, 2004, 12:50am EST Report Abuse
I'm facing this same problem. Here's story.

I had RADEON 8500, and it worked fine.

Then I decided to try out RADEON 9600. It worked fine as well.

Then, I decided that I don't want 9600. Removed it and reinstalled 8500. That's when "delayed write fail" hit.

Replaced back for 9600 - works fine.

8500 - failure.

Also it seems that ATI Control Panel may be responsible. Without it, there's no failure. As soon as it is installed, the failure hits.

At some point, the failure hit as soon as I started any service. With nearly all services disabled, no failure. Then I start print spooler, or network, and here we go.

Complete mistery.

ernie handel Jan 23, 2004, 12:26pm EST Report Abuse
Asus a7v333 raid with 4x maxtors, win xp
I got the delayed write error after installing an asus radeon 9800xt, swapping out an nvidia card. I followed the advice here:
http://tinyurl.com/33cx6
which is the result from searching goolge groups with "9800 delayed write failed" .
The advice is to go to:
sytem properties->advanced->performance settings->advanced
on this tab make sure that memory usage is set to programs.
That change alone stopped the error from occuring, control panel works fine too.

I had the delayed write failed error before, after sticking alot of new hardware into the same system (when using an nvidia graphics card). It ruined the data on one maxtor drive. I thought the drive would have to be replaced, but I found that using the maxtor boot floppy tool to check the drive and reset it to factory defaults allowed me to reformat it and use it again. It has been working since then for over a year. I dont remeber what fixed the dealyed write error back then .

Everett Anderson Jan 30, 2004, 12:49pm EST Report Abuse
Hi,

I opened a Microsoft support incident about this in November 2003, but we concluded it must be some kind of hardware problem (partly because my motherboard did have a valid defect in that its onboard LAN wouldn't start). I got a new motherboard, but enabling the optimize for System Cache option still results in total meltdown on the next startup with Delayed Write Failures.

Has anyone had some success with the user's post about increasing the page table size, or talked more with Microsoft about it?

I don't think it's my RAM or hard disk. I've run memtest86 for hours and the Seagate full diagnostic suite without finding any problems.

However, I do have an ATI 9800 Radeon Pro. Full setup:

Pentium 4 2.6C
Windows XP Professional
1 gig RAM
Seagate 120 gig SATA HD
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
ATI 9800 Radeon Pro ALL-IN-WONDER
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

I guess I'm just really curious what XP's performance would be like with the option enabled. I never use my entire 1 gig of RAM, and wonder if XP is paging out parts of the OS unnecessarily when using the default setting to keep more memory for programs.

- Everett

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.