Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 482 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:11am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / AMD roapmap, socket to me baby?

Re: AMD roapmap, socket to me baby? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Michael A. May 31, 2004, 06:07pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Re: AMD roapmap, socket to me baby?
Intel and AMD have both been doing this, it's not just an AMD problem. AMD, had Socket A/462 forever and has just recently made their way to the newer sockets for their Opterons and Athlon 64s. Intel as well has been doing this, especially with the aging Pentium IV and whatever that other socket is, 378 or whatever. (Hell if I know the Intel socket numbers.)

My wish, as is Dan's, is that AMD *and* Intel will continually inform the community of changes so that we can prepare ahead of time and be ready when the change goes mainstream.

Michael A.
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
george wyoming May 31, 2004, 06:16pm EDT Report Abuse
Airman < your wrong .. athlonXP's work on reg athlon (tbird) boards just fine... Just like P4 higher Bus speed cpu's work on older boards JUST at slower speed. But unlike P4's there was socket 423 out for along time.. AND NO hammer, tape, glue, or bubble gum will make a socket 478 socket P4 work in them :). So if anything your statement is backasswords. And sure you have an AMD system as you state? Or just saying that to try not looking so stupid?

This Article is a waste of Server space! If anything it shows the author is either ignorant on what AMD and INTEL sockets are and will be, Or is just another INTEL fan boy worried about What intel is going to do know, and doing what all good INTEL fan boys do.. spreed more FUD!

P4 2.8ghz
three 2500+ @ 3200+
three 1700+ @ 2400+, two @ 2600+

Corvus Raven May 31, 2004, 08:01pm EDT Report Abuse
..Ya know what? I like Celerys...

With Cheeze Spread.. and veggie dip.. ..Just remember to remove the stringy things that appear on each of the four sides. :)

--------------------------
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe PCB 2.00 w/ BIOS 1005 (cause? Dunno.. ATM)
AMD XP 2800+ @ 0.0 GHz 0MHz FSB (overheating for no appearent reason)
(2) - Corsair XMS512-3500C2 (5-2-2-2T) @ 0MHz
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro @0
Enermax 500W p/s (ok.
John Helfer May 31, 2004, 11:28pm EDT Report Abuse
Where did you find the person who wrote this worthless piece of garbage you are calling an article? HELLO! Wake up and smell the burning Prescott! Get a clue and then do a little RESEARCH!

Sean B Jun 01, 2004, 12:10pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Re: AMD roadmap, socket to me baby?
You can't use a socket 478 processor in a socket 423 board??? Really? I didn't know that..... I thought I could glue needles onto my trusty Williamette and pop it in a Northie board....

Seriously guys.... don't believe bullshit like this.
The industry is ever-changing, but neither Intel nor AMD would be anywhere without a continuously changing and continuously growing user base. Both Intel and AMD realize this, but they won't hesitate to sell anyone short if it'll mean they can increase sales in upgrades.

Although neither company ever released such a device, some innovative people out there have created adapters ranging from Slot1 to Socket A to Socket 423.

Check them out for yourself here: http://www.strattoncomputer.com/cpuupad.html

In fact, ASUS made a very nice Socket 370 to Slot 1 adapter with voltage jumpers.

Most of the additional pins that the 478 contains are used for voltage regulation, powering the processor, and temperature diagnostics and protection. They are not imperative pins.

As far as this socket war goes, I have one thing to say.... SO WHAT?

So you have to go out and buy a new board everytime you want a new processor.... so what?
Dump your girlfriend and you'll have plenty of money to spare.

The industry is making an attempt to step forward, so why hold them back?

I realize that upgrading is a b!tch... especially when you pull the short straw, but it's a necessary part of computing.

As far as AMD's roadmap, they've been off track for a very long time. The first features I've actually loved from them are the hyper transport pipeline and integrating a memory controller, but other than that I'd have to say they've had their head in the clouds with archaic forms of math where 2ghz somehow equates to 2.4ghz if you stick a plus sign in front of it.

However, Intel has definitely won the battle of innovation.
Intel's clock speeds are expected to be in the 4ghz range by next September and Hyperthreading is getting an excellent new algorithm that should allow multiple processor quantas to instantiate AND complete in a single thread.

It simply comes down to what you can afford. The common consumer purchases a new computer every 3-5 years, and that number is decreasing.

The best thing Intel and AMD can do is keep their prices low so that upgrading is feasible if you need an entirely new board for your processor.

What truly needs to be changed in this industry is the communication between processor manufacturers and Microsoft.
The reason Apple has so much power with their Mac is because they monopolize every aspect of their products.

george wyoming Jun 01, 2004, 12:29pm EDT Report Abuse
How DID cpu sockets/ slots article turn into slot / socket adapter! Get a grip! Your way off track. And then your stupid comment on AMD is as stupid as this article is!

Even the titanic is a mostly copied NOT intel design only modified, Sad its a peace of junk! That intel is having a hard time even giving away to large companys.

Intel innovate? When?? You must live in some alternate universe. Your the one with your head in the CLOUDS! Intel dropped thes**t p4 design because it is JUNK! Now there trying to go back to p3 design with p4 bus. Do you even have a clue about intel! Now thats innovation :)) ..............Some peoples children!

Intel is now rushing to copy AMD even there space heater in a box prescott that ( intel says has 64 bit) but wont turn on becouse it is so horrid in performance. When a slower cpu can out do a much faster mhz cpu .. thats sure more innovative then P4 prescott that performs worse then even a northwood p4

So you say Mhz matters more Then you can always mention that Bastard child CELERON it runs at High mhz :)) Hope your not mentally challenged enough to Believe your own BS and get a CELERON!

chas P Jun 01, 2004, 12:42pm EDT Report Abuse
OK now take that deep breath :P

SO you would think that Moore's law is now dead and buried?? I doubt very much Intel will hit 4 Ghz any time soon. We are stuck in the ruts coz Bill gates cant make Windows any more bloated :D

what a new turn of events hahaha

Corvus Raven Jun 01, 2004, 02:18pm EDT Report Abuse
If Bill wants to bloat windows.. he doesn't have to try very hard.

Trus me.. :)

--------------------------
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe PCB 2.00 w/ BIOS 1005 (cause? Dunno.. ATM)
AMD XP 2800+ @ 0.0 GHz 0MHz FSB (overheating for no appearent reason)
(2) - Corsair XMS512-3500C2 (5-2-2-2T) @ 0MHz
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro @0
Enermax 500W p/s (ok.
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jun 04, 2004, 01:23am EDT Report Abuse
mr wyoming, i tried a XP 1600 in a Athlon Tbird Motherboard and it didnt work Nor Did a 1800 and both those CPUs run fine in a Athlon XP Motherboard

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
george wyoming Jun 04, 2004, 02:27am EDT Report Abuse
Airman

I have built more amd's / intels then you have seen. They work fine in a tbird board. You must have a dead board then! Or trying to set the bus speed over what the board can handle. Most you will have is the cpu saying the wrong cpu ID. You do KNOW what bios updates are right? < get one.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jun 15, 2004, 12:23am EDT Report Abuse
uh actually this board does auto detect of just about everything meaning there are no jumpers on the motherboard at all, besides its useless to buy an Regular Athlon Mobo now since the AXP Mobos support all Socket As and are cheaper than the Standard Athlon motherboards were when brand new. Oh and id like to see what Standard Athlon Mobos U were using for those Athlon XP CPUs ur talkin about, oh when i bought this board it said NON COMPATABLE WITH AMD ATHLON XP, in other words GET IT THRU UR THICK SKULL. Btw a Bios Update doesnt fix everything, not to mention the AMD system that is posted Below, I OWN ACTUALLY, I originally was running it for testing purposes, still am actually due to fact something isnt in sync with performance, i was thinking of reverting back to 5.6 bios since i have the 5.7 bios now.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jun 15, 2004, 12:23am EDT Report Abuse
i think there needs to be a delete post button so u can delete ur own posts if accidently post a blank or website sqereurs up lol.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.