Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1007 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 07:28pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums /

ECS K7S5A 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
John Ellis Jul 01, 2002, 02:47pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ECS K7S5A
Greetings,

I have been VERY happy with this board, once I cooled it down a bit. My system is configured with 512MB PC133 RAM, 1800+ XP, GeForce2 GTS, sound card, IEEE-1394, and a SCSI adapter. The mid-tower case holds a DVD-ROM, CD-RW, Zip250, PCMCIA/CardBus reader, and a floppy. I have both input and exhaust fans. Saw many issues that others reported until I put a chipset cooler on the MB chipset itself. Almost a case of instant gratification. Bottom line, for about $12 additional dollars, I got an extremely fast and stable system that I enjoy playing with.

Question? I assume the SiS 635 chipset actually "overclocks" the PC133 RAM (to provide the ability to support both SDRAM and DDR). Does anyone know if switching to DDR would actually run cooler? Seems logical as the chipset would not have to "overclock" DDR.

Thanks,
John

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Ken Johnson Jul 06, 2002, 06:18am EDT Report Abuse
I purchased this board several months ago, and have no problems, I am
using 256 DDR memory with AMS 1700XP processer and everything went
smooth until I decided to use the USB header pin for front USB ports,
verified connection colors from ESC Website and connected per instructions. Just won't work. But as for the board, one of the best deals
out there. If any one has a suggestin on how to connect to the pins for
the front USB ports I am all ears (or eyes)

Gooner Jul 06, 2002, 07:33am EDT Report Abuse
Built my machine with a K7S5A last weekend, currently running like a dream, no problems at all. Up and running perfectly in a couple of hours.

Machine spec is listed in my profile.

--
We'll burn that bridge when we come to it !
wynne Jones Jul 06, 2002, 08:56pm EDT Report Abuse
I just cant understand everybody with diffrent opinions when you bye a mother board thats it it works but not this stupute board you people have
to do everything to it,dump it get a nice new board and just fit and nothing els to do. THIS IS THE WORST MOTHER BOARD THEY EVER MADE,
COME TO YOUR SENSES AND THROUE IT TO THE BIN OR DRIVE THE CAR OVER IT.

Gooner Jul 07, 2002, 07:09am EDT Report Abuse
Wynne, i'm sure you've had a very bad experience with this board, but that doesn't mean it's rubbish ! There's a lot of other posts about problems with this board as well, but they dont mean that is rubbish either. Let's be honest, chances are if your poting here you have a problem with something, so we aren't going to have a lot of people posting here telling us that everything is fine.

Basically, what i'm saying is that we only ever hear about the bad things. There's probably a lot more people out there who have had nothing but good experiences with this board, like the Darran, John and Ken who posted earlier in this thread. I built my machine with it last weekend in under 2 hours, and it's running perfectly.

Machine spec is listed in my profile .

--
We'll burn that bridge when we come to it !
Rhort Jul 07, 2002, 10:44am EDT Report Abuse
>> [No Subject]
Amen to that, John.

Let's try and keep things in perspective here, there's a lot of K7S5A boards, so there's bound to be a lot of problems, but it's proportional.

Imagine a board that we'd only ever heard three problems about, we might think it was an excellent performer, but what if only four boards had ever been manufactured? Suddenly things don't look so good. Now, there are thousands of K7S5A boards out there, what are the chances that NONE of them are faulty or incorrectly configured by their owners?

THAT'S why we get so many posts about them.

_________________________________________________________________________________
~ The manual said "Requires Windows '95 or better" ...so I installed Linux!
Spacefox Spacefox Jul 14, 2002, 05:27pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi,

I would like to know if someone has encountered the problem with the K7S5A with a 8045... I saw on Alpha's website that this motherboard in its version 3.1 has the capacitors too high to allow to mount the 8045 on it... My online hardware reseller said he tried to mount it... and it's going very short but fine at the final... So I would like to know if some of you encountered any issue with that or not ;-)

Thanks in advance for replies :)

ck 3k Jul 20, 2002, 05:36am EDT Report Abuse
I am what many consider a power user. I purchased the ECS K7S5A at fry's electronics in cali and have had no problems with it.
For the price this board has performed well.

My system
ECS K7S5A
AMD XP 1800+ w/ Tt volcano 7
chaintech geforce 3 special GOLD edition
512 mb DDR
TDK 32x burner
Tosiba 12x DVD

ck 3k Jul 20, 2002, 05:36am EDT Report Abuse
I am what many consider a power user. I purchased the ECS K7S5A at fry's electronics in cali and have had no problems with it.
For the price this board has performed well.

My system
Cheiftec alien green case w/window and green cold cathode light
ECS K7S5A
AMD XP 1800+ w/ Tt volcano 7
chaintech geforce 3 special GOLD edition
512 mb DDR
TDK 32x burner
Tosiba 12x DVD

Matthew Robinson Aug 04, 2002, 01:29am EDT Report Abuse

Adam Knight Aug 04, 2002, 05:47am EDT Report Abuse
As for problems with this board the only thing that I have is a minor lock up in a game that I play, my gf2 gts seems to freeze when I play Soldier of Fortune 2 Double Helix. I switched cards to a radeon 64mb DDR VIVO no problems, except that ATI is a hunk of worthless crap with no power to boot. My gf 2 pushed a max of 125fps while the radeon with new catalyst drivers fails to even reach 70fps at low settings. The darn drivers don't allow you to disable FSAA and AF so good bye to the frames. I even overclocked the darn thing, lol that was a laugh a marginal at most 2fps more. I am thinking of replacing this board with the K7VTA2 mobo is this a good idea or not?

post your comments please

AK

manto manto Oct 03, 2002, 06:38pm EDT Report Abuse

manto manto Oct 03, 2002, 06:38pm EDT Report Abuse

Matthew Robinson Oct 03, 2002, 10:52pm EDT Report Abuse
Going to DDR makes a little difference but if you have a lot of SD keep it!
I tested this board with Sisoft Sandra. It was only a little faster with the DDR. About a 4% difference.

Zee Ro Oct 07, 2002, 08:02pm EDT Report Abuse
this board is alrite. Provides the sdram to ddram upgrade. cheap, reliable.

I do have a problem that makes me regret buying this board. the ide slots are in a bad position and if you attempt to install a heavy duty AGP card like the msi geforce4, you risk breakin a cylinder and it touching against the IDE cables. Look at the picture. the agp slot is too close to the IDE slots.

oh yeah, and the onboard sound blows. you get a static sound if u do anything with the computer while playing music.

=T

Brandon Sandors Oct 10, 2002, 08:27pm EDT Report Abuse
Wanted to build a good system. Read the reviews for a few mobos. Decided on this one with and AMD K7Athlon 1.4GHz and 512 megs SDRAM. Ran good for about 2 months. Then it went to crap. Random crashing, random program errors, overheating, I couldn't even run a virus scan because the damn thing would die 75% of the way through! Downloading over broadband with the onboard Lan? Forget it, incomplete files, I/O errors in executables, I ended up D/Ling on my buddy's computer and burning to CD to bring to mine. Hell, I tried to make a system disk to flash the bios and I couldn't even do that! Games... what games? Any AGP video card I put into the board wouldn't work (including GeForce 2, 3 AND 4!). The only satisfaction I'm going to get out of this board is running over it with my car (repeatedly).

So in ten words or less: THIS BOARD SUCKS!

Rob Beard Dec 11, 2002, 10:02am EST Report Abuse
I recently built a PC for a friend using this board.

The PC spec is a Duron 1.3Ghz (13x100Mhz), 128MB Crucial Memory, 20GB Maxtor UDMA100 Hard Disk and S3 Savage 2000 64MB video card.

My friends have had nothing but trouble with this board.

We have found the following problems:

Sometimes the machine locks up when playing games.

When they turn the machine on, it will imediately turn itself off, or turn off after a minute or so.

I also found the documentation not to be as good as some other boards I've used before.

Does anyone know what the correct pin connections are for the Power LED, Hard Drive LED, Power & Reset switches on the motherboard are?

Maybe it's lack of sleep, but I just can't figure them out!

It says in the manual:

HD_LED_P Pin 1
PF PWR/SLP Pins 2, 4
HD_LED_N Pin 3
RST_SW_N Pins 5, 8
RST_SW_P Pins 6, 7
KEY Pins 9, 10

Anyway, I'm gonna have another play with this PC. I read somewhere about reducing the bus speed of the CPU & Memory from 100/133 to 100/100 and setting the AGP bus to 2x instead of 4x or something so I'm gonna give this a try.

I think next time I build a PC I'm gonna stick to Asus.

Rob

Mike Venis Dec 22, 2002, 04:37pm EST Report Abuse
First of all let me say so far this is a great board, moved from P3 450 with old intel board to amd 1700+ and ECS k75sa. dual boot ME and XP.

XP did not like new board so i had to reinstall, ME was fine.

I pondered over those pins myself, however patience is a virtue this is what u need

1-3 is hard disk led
2-4 is case power led, 2 pinS only i have 3 pin connector, cut in half or leave off, middle is redundant anyway.
5-7 is reset
6-8 is power switch

Strangely enough 5-6 will also work switch although it should not.

Hope this helps

Michael Scott Dec 25, 2002, 09:30pm EST Report Abuse
This K7S5A is good. Sure just a few dud Maylasian (not China ) ones but no more than any other. Im rich (brag I know) but I got Athlon XP 2600+ plus 1 meg DDR ram, DVD, 48 spin burner, TV tuner card, GE Force 4 440X, and Zip 250 plus floppy plus 2 X 80 Gig Hard Drives. I did have to change the BIOS battery once (only problem , so what) . I also put in extra two case coling fans and Hard Disk Fan. I built 8 about the same.(all good) :) the Fact is this MOBO is excellent, and VERY fast when cooled. Total stabiltity, I cant crash it , I tried!!! For your info some of thses borads were made in Maylasia, some in China, all mine from China Hope that helps, Im buying 6 more of thses boards:)

Mick

mike mclaren Dec 26, 2002, 12:43am EST Report Abuse
I've recently built a workstation using this mb, the first mb had a problem (in the first couple of days) but the replacement has worked flawlessly for 5 months now. I started with win2000 and mandrake 8.2 and have recently upgrade to xp and Redhat 8.0. I use all the standard types of software plus cad and mathmatical modelling software, my son has also used it as a server for TFC and FA and to play those games when his friends are over. I did add a second case fan when I assembled it just because l like to keep things cool, I connect that fan to the 5 volt line so that it wouldn't be to noisy.

AMD 1800+
256 DDR
40 g hd
100 zip drive (ide)
DVD Drive
CD Burner
USR modem (not win)
ati 7500 AGP Graphics card

I have a small network at home and use the onboard nic when I'm home and the modem when I not.

I am considering upgrading one of my other computers and will most likely use this board again.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.