Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1708 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 01:29pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

Poll: Is AMD overtaking over Intel? YES OR NO ONLY 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
angryhippy Oct 04, 2004, 12:52pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Poll: Is AMD overtaking over Intel? YES OR NO ONLY
Calculus I already did my comparison. If I can out benchmark an opteron150 and an Athlon FX53 with my $141 P4, why would I want to spend over $600 for the AMDs?

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
angryhippy Oct 04, 2004, 01:11pm EDT Report Abuse
Later this year look for P4EE 3.46GHz w/ FSB 1064MHz, the 925XE chipset to support it, and possibly the new P4EE 3.73GHz 1064 MHz FSB w/ 2MB L2 and L3 caches.

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
jmerc Oct 04, 2004, 01:28pm EDT Report Abuse
You know, if that were ever to happen, I don't think that would be good for us AMD DIYers.

So if this was to happen, I could see AMD raising the prices of their processors.
This would definitely not help the AMD consumer in any way shape or form.
At least not that I can see!

I guess like anything else, along with the price of fame comes a pay increase.

In answer to the actual question, in my opinion I really don't think that will ever happen.
Unless Intel were to completely fall on their face, which I doubt will ever happen.

I am and have been an AMD fan for quite some time, but see how Intel dominates the market in private industry. In that respect I'm a realist as just about every firm in the brokerage industry that I know of has contracts with vendors who sell Intel inside workstations.

Jay

Life is too short, make the best of it!
ernest ofori Oct 05, 2004, 10:12am EDT Report Abuse
no

Mark Oct 05, 2004, 10:38am EDT Report Abuse
Yes

----------------------------------------------
- Intel Pentium G2020
- Asus 8800GT 512MB w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec True 650w
Richard Oct 05, 2004, 10:57am EDT Report Abuse
Not overtaking, but catching up, yes.

Predator Oct 05, 2004, 05:53pm EDT Report Abuse
Intel is still a piece of crap. Seriously, Payton, Intel processors get *hotter* than AMD processors. There is a test. If you turn on an Intel P4 (lets say 3.2GHz) and also turn on another computer with an Athlon XP3200+ (2.2GHz), and both of them dont have *any* form of cooling, which one would burn out first? Its a *proven* fact that AMD processors have *way* better heat dissipation as opposed to Intel processors.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D

New Forum: http://www.cyberitforums.com
Sean B Oct 06, 2004, 02:59am EDT Report Abuse

Kash Oct 06, 2004, 04:18am EDT Report Abuse
Um.... actual Calculus... uh, Pentium processors (Northwood) stay cooler than Bartons.... heh... At least the Northwoods. The average idle for a 2800+ is 45*C w/ stock cooling (I think I might be over estimating some of these numbers). An average Intel is at about 40*C. Why is that you ask: Voltage. The 800MHz Northwood clocks in at 1.525v and the 2800+ Barton clocks in at 1.65v. Sir, the Barton has just been schooled. Big time. That's a whole .125v less than the Barton. Do you have ANY idea how much heat that creates? A BUNCH.... try clocking your Barton to 1.775v... do it, I dare you... You won't, will you? I knew it, chicken... ok, so I wouldn't either because that would be a waste of about $110 (2800+) or about $90 in the case of a 2500+. But do you get my point? The Intels do, in fact, run cooler.

And why do they require such voltages, you ask?

The Intels run looooong pipelines, which require brute force. Which is why they have such high clock speeds and FSB. They need this extra speed because, if there is an error in the calculation, they have to have that extra speed backing it. As we know, FSB is only a heat issue if you are pushing your processor's calculations past it's default setting. Now, on AMD's side. They have shorter pipelines. This makes them smarter, and generally faster for gaming applications. If there's an error calculating something, it jumps back 13 pipelines, versus Intel's, I believe 30-something. These chips require higher voltage, because if they make an error, they have to jump back faster than an Intel has to, so it can complete it's calculation (baaaaaaad for multitasking).

Anyway, after all that explaining. I feel AMD is actually ahead of Intel in terms of gamer/network-upkeeper support. Their Opterons can't be beat for dual-proc support, and with the release of the new 64-bit processors, which is essentially an Opteron with 2 of the 4 HyperTransport pipes killed, I think that these chips will gain more popularity as they grow. I wouldn't be suprised if a news program, such as CNN or MSNBC does something on AMD within the next year to two years. In terms of the market value and general-home-user popularity, that title just HAS to go to Intel. All of Dell, HP, Gateway, and Alienware use Intel. That is a very, VERY large chunk of the market. And if, say, a multi-million dollar company strikes up a deal with Dell or HP in terms of office management computers, then Intel not only gets the profit from those Dells, but also from the servers that the company puts in (Dell sells networking products, obviously). So through this schpeel, I hope you have learned something. And I know it was supposed to be a "yes" or "no" answer, but hell. I had to do it.

Popularity: growing
Non-father-user: Yes
General-user/large company: Not quite yet (AMD still needs to strike a deal with HP, Gateway, or Alienware. If Gateway starts to slip, which wouldn't be suprising, they might pick up AMD to save on cost)

Sincerely,
Lord Coldfire

EDIT: Oh, and to the person about how the Mac is faster than the PC. The Mac has a 64-bit CPU Architecture. Damn near always has. I remember looking at the stats on an iMac and seeing as**tty 300MHz processor. But then I looked at it's bit architecture, and it was 64. The Mac is able to keep up in number-crunching and video/photo editing, where numbers play a big part. But in gaming, it sucks. It simply can't keep up, and when it can keep up, it takes too much damn money (example: The dual-proc G5.... about $3k-$4k). Maximum PC ran an end-all test a while back between the AMD FX-51 (this is a while ago, remember that), the P4 3.2GHzEE, and a dual-proc G5.... The G5 got stomped (in all the obvious tests, and even in a few that the testers DIDN'T expect), then the FX-51 came close (won like, 5-6 of the tests), and the P4 EE came out on top with about 8 wins. Don't ask what the tests were: I don't remember.

Sincerely,
Kash

AMD AM2 3600+ Brisbane (65nm), DFI Infinity UltraII-M2, 1GB Wintec AMPO DDR2-800 @ 667, Sapphire X1950 Pro, 250GB WD SATA II, 500W Coolmax PSU, Logitech MX500, Gateway PS/2 keyboard (circa 1999)
John Alabata Oct 06, 2004, 04:46am EDT Report Abuse
I have to agree with Sean B about what he has mentioned.

Whoever said the intel ran hotter when they run on silicon and etc needs to take the AMD & Intel 101 classes. Other than that, yes I believe that AMD is leading but Intel is a competitor and competition is aways good so computer technology doesn't stay on a stand still.

tom Oct 06, 2004, 05:07am EDT Report Abuse
Calculus Master, since when has an Athlon XP 3200+ been as fast as a 3.2GHz P4??

N-E-V-E-R!!!!!!!!!!

All my previous computers (and I'm not an Intel fanboy by the way)

AMD Athlon 1.3GHz (128MB RAM)
AMD Athlon XP 1900+ 1.6GHz (512MB PC2100)
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.80GHz (512MB PC2100)
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83GHz (512MB PC3200)
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.08GHz (1GB PC3200)
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (1GB PC3200)

Intel is faster

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Oct 06, 2004, 05:09am EDT Report Abuse
http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/20011029/index.html
http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/index.html

read them, if i had choice between Intel 32bit and AMD 32bit as of Thermal Design, id pick the Intel, hell even their P3 CPUs stayed alive, altho SW crashed the Hardware wasnt damaged, whould anyone touch a CPU running at 380C/698F!?!?!? Btw that temp was detected on the AMD CPU, also another reason why Intel CPUs are higher dollar is the research that was put into the thermal designs of the Intel CPUs.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
tom Oct 06, 2004, 05:18am EDT Report Abuse
Infact, Calculus boy, you seem to have very limited intelligence, from reading your posts.

"Intel gets hotter" yeah, right. An experiment showed how if one takes the heatsink off a P4 and AM Athlon running 1GHz slower, the P4 computer remained on and the game it played still ran for a few minutes before the OPC shut down! The Athlon's die frieeeeeeeed...................... DEAD!!!

Athlons can also only cope with few things at a time. I have a PC with a XP 2800 and one with a P4 3GHz
Opening the same program on my P4 as my Athlon is like this

In task manager, CPU usage opening Microsoft Word:

Intel P4 3GHz: 12% Max
AMD XP 2800: 34% Max

My P4 also exceeds in all gaming, where AMD laaaaaaaaaaaaaags

Athln XPs are old generation processors. Technically they are hardly different from a frickin K6 processor. It is not an 786 design (like the P4) but still a 686 design. Intel's P4 is based on newer technology than the Athlon XP, which is largely built on top of the original Athlon and even the K6 from 1998. How retarded. Athlon 64 is the same with 64-bit extensions and a revamped hypertransport but. Not innovative. The P4's architecture only dates back to 2001, and when people say duh its slower clock for clock than a P3, it HAS to be retards, because that's how to get more clock cycles out of it! And when it exceeds 1.5GHz or so it IS faster than a P3!
There is nothing wrong with the L1 cache, there is 8KB, yes, but it is 16-way, operates at 6000MHz in a 3GHz CPU, and has more data throughput than the 2-way 128K cache on the Athlon. Take that for your
facts

Sean B Oct 06, 2004, 09:36am EDT Report Abuse
The x86 class is numbered by architectural design.

Therefore, the Pentium 4 Northwood, Xeon, Opteron, and Athlon 64 are actually all 586 class processors.
Although the Athlon 64 is "claimed" to be a 64bit processor, its architecture is entirely based on 32bit design with 64bit emulation. All of these processors include features such as MMX and SSE, with AMD just recently integrating Intel's Streaming SIMD extension 2 (SSE2) into their Athlon 64 and Opteron.

The Pentium 4 Prescott is a 686 class processor because of both the die shrinkage and introduction of SSE3.

Richard Oct 06, 2004, 09:49am EDT Report Abuse
Thanks Lord Coldfire and RichardX, very interesting posts. Learnt a lot.

Jody Gerut Oct 06, 2004, 12:09pm EDT Report Abuse
"In task manager, CPU usage opening Microsoft Word:"

Intel P4 3GHz: 12% Max
AMD XP 2800: 34% Max

the cpu usuage is lower on a hyperthreaded p4 ONLY because it tricks the os system into thing there are 2 processors thus cpu usuage never shows over 50% in task mananger no matter what you do you can run prime 95 in 10 instances at the same time and it will still never show more than 50% cpu usuage

nice try richard ddx in your never ending effort to hype up intel and try to diss amd

william peck Oct 06, 2004, 12:37pm EDT Report Abuse
yes

amd fx-51
512 ecc pc3200
2 40 gigers
1 junk nvidia gforce4

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Oct 06, 2004, 01:52pm EDT Report Abuse
richard, the AMD Athlon, Duron, Athlon XP are Classified as K7 CPUs, AMD AthlonXP and Sempron are considered K7+ generation, they are nothing alike the AMD K6-3 and below CPUs, just remember Intel P3 was going a different route of performance, then Intel decided to go with "Mhz Sells" approach.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Sander Sassen Oct 06, 2004, 02:01pm EDT Report Abuse
Funny how these threads always turn into a 'Intel vs. AMD' flame war, to add my 2 cents, yes, there's a grammar error in the topic title.

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
Richard Oct 06, 2004, 04:01pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey Airman, do you mean RichardX, I never said that. ;)

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.