Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1268 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 08 - 12:01am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
1 Dec 19, 2002, 10:43am EST Report Abuse
>> benchmark
Try getting more aggressive with your RAM timings, you should be able to break 14k points with that chip/card/ram combo. My soyo kt4 dragon ultra platinum with xp2800+, radeon 9700, and 512mb xms2700cas2, running fsb at 333, is acheiving 14,751 after messing with the ram timing. And Im using dx9 which kills about 200-600 points from the bench.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5120138

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Miltos Stella Dec 19, 2002, 02:02pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
sorry, not to be rude or something but from what i see there are a lot of people with ECS motherboards that get problems with both ATI and Nvidia cards.

im forwarding some of my own endeavours of these damn GeForce 4 problems. i know it's not relevant to this thread, but im just hopping someone has found a way to solve.

My specs:
- ECS K7S5A (SiS 735 chipset)
- Athlon XP 1500+
- SDRAM 512 MB
- Chaintech geforce 4 MX 440 SE 64mb (code: A-G445)
- Win XP Pro (SP1 installed)

The problem started when i upgraded from my old geforce 2 MX to the new geforce 4.
I tried running GTA3 but after a couple of minutes it just hang. no solution but the reset button. tried UT2003 too, same thing happens.

tried it some more times but same thing still. so i took the following actions:
- upgraded bios from ecs (still problem...)
- directx 8.1b (still problem...)
- nvidia drivers (tried 28.32, 29.42, 40.72, 41.09 -- still problem)
- installed new agp drivers from ECS and SiS web sites (still stuck...)
- installed AMD AGP miniport drivers (no luck...)
- tried several ideas from A LOT of forums (like tuning with rivatuner, changed agp aperture, tried all agp speeds 1x 2x 4x, didnt try changing fast writes and sideband addressing because they're not supported by the geforce,so says rivatuner and powerstrip -- and it still hangs)

- there is one thing, the chip has only a heatsink on it, not a fan, but still i dont think it could be overheating -- however i'm going to put a new heatsink and a good fan. i'll post if it fixes.

so it seems, it must be totally hardware problem.
i have written to ECS, ChainTech and AMD. If, hopefully, i get a response back, i'll let know.

If anyone has to suggest something please let me know, this problem is p**sing me off, and since i cant afford to change mobo or change card, i have to solve this one.

-- cheers

Michael Rose Dec 19, 2002, 02:02pm EST Report Abuse
I have BIG problems with my ATI card. IT works great on my computer, don't have any problems with freezes or anything like that. The problem is when I shut my computer down and try to boot up the next time I want to Game!!! My system boots up but I hear 3 beeps and the video doesn't turn on, I have to reset my computer many times to activate the video. Does anyone know what's going on? Here are my system specs.
Pentium 4 2.0 ghz
512 DDR Memory
Radeon 9700 Pro
Intel 850 Motherboard

JC Bailey Dec 19, 2002, 06:31pm EST Report Abuse
response to Mathew McFaul
my current settings :

sdram cas latency - 2
bank interleave - 4 bank
precharge to active - 2T
active to precharge - 7T
active to cmd - 2T
dram command rate - 1T
dram burst len - 4
write recovery time - 3T
dram access time - 3T
getting 13,690 benchmarks in 3dmark2k1 SE.

Joe Smolinski Dec 19, 2002, 10:38pm EST Report Abuse
I tried underclocking my card and I was actually able to play gta3 for as long as i liked, also played ut2003 for about 25 min with no problems, usually goes bad within 3 min. My card is very hot. I think for some it could be a heat issue.

Joe Smolinski Dec 19, 2002, 10:38pm EST Report Abuse
I tried underclocking my card and I was actually able to play gta3 for as long as i liked, also played ut2003 for about 25 min with no problems, usually goes bad within 3 min. My card is very hot. I think for some it could be a heat issue.

JC Bailey Dec 20, 2002, 01:26am EST Report Abuse
response to Michael Rose

check your power supply (300 watt or above?) or the voltage (in bios)
for proper voltage to your video card, this has helped me in the past
with my other equipment.

brian kingshott Dec 23, 2002, 08:30am EST Report Abuse
I too have encountered problems with my radeon pro on a ASUS A7V8X M/B after changing many things and spending many hours too. I found that by slightly unclocking the videocard only by 5Mhz I can get my system stable.
I agree with the comment on that it a overheating problem, as the RAM chips on the video card get very hot!!! does any one know of where to get a good piece of kit that would cool these chips down???

Eclipsor Dec 23, 2002, 09:11am EST Report Abuse
http://www.pccasegear.com.au/category48_1.htm

this is an Australian shop. They do ship overseas but I'm sure there are more local ones with similar products. The hercules 9700 pro comes with heatsinks on all 4 ram chips as well as another on the underside of the vpu. This one gets particularly hot.

Epox 8rda3+, Athlon xp 2600+, 512Mb 466MHzDDR ram, Hercules Radeon 9700 pro, Samsung 19" flat crt, Sony 15" LCD, Lite-On 52x52x24 burner, WD 80Gig with 8Meg cache, Enermax 550W psu, ThermalTake Xaser2 6000a
1 Dec 23, 2002, 10:39am EST Report Abuse
Zhalman is currently selling a heatpipe kit for the 9700 pro which ocsystem.com is using on their overclocked radeon 9700 and they claim it to work great.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/zm80-hp.htm

Then again I saw the other day that swiftech has released a new vga waterblock that includes a peltier built in. I dont know how well that would work with a hot chip like the xp2800+ heating up the water too. I tried my z4 water cooling kit on the radeon 9700 in combonation with the xp2800 and temperatures were horrible, definately not bareable unless you intend to not overclock or if you just simply want a quieter system.

My main radeon 9700pro has a thermaltake crystal orb and bga heatsinks attached by arctic silver compound and arctic silver 3. I put tin coated copper bga heatsinks on both sides of the ram to exhaust heat a little better. How does it work? I have had no problem however I am using a system that has 4-80mmx25mm chrome intake fans, a 120mm chrome exhaust fan, and an 80mm chrome exhaust fan. That might seem like overkill and it probably is however I like to blast the klipsch 5.1 while playing and defeats any noise from the fans by far!

You can buy the bga heatsinks and crystqal orb from here:
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com

for those of you that might get confused......BGA heatsinks are for the thicker ram that is found on the radeon 9700pro. It will cover the entire ram chip, where as, the standard ram or vga heatsinks are smaller and wont.
Hope this solves the problem for some of you, I still have 2 other radeon 9700pros that are in stock built by ati condition and niether one of them have exhibited any problems what so ever, so its a toss up on whether or not you have enough cooling in your case. Hopefully you are using round cables to allow for better air movement.

http://www.docmodgod.com

Sean Dec 23, 2002, 12:29pm EST Report Abuse
Just adding to the litany of discontent. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of or have read, except here I ran into the Fast Write disable suggestion. It's good to see that there are Some people here who have been able to get this card working -- I'm definitely not one of them (yet).

Sean
----------------------------------------
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
MB: Asus A7V8X
RAM: Crucial 2x256M 3200
Power: 300W Antec

brian kingshott Dec 23, 2002, 06:48pm EST Report Abuse
Cheers guys im gonna look into getting some RAMsinks for the card, would you advise putting the RAMsinks on all the chips???

Also does any1 know where I can can some thermal glue to put the RAM sinks on?? Like for instance would Maplin sell the glue??

1 Dec 23, 2002, 07:52pm EST Report Abuse
try http://www.heatsinkfactory.com
they have arctic ailver compound which will actually transfer heat well. The regular sticky stuff that they come with is worthless.

Evgeni Georgiev Dec 24, 2002, 03:02am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700: reboots & lockups
I think more than a few of the reported problems with the 9700 Pro result from poorly fitted sinks which are running warm or even cold. I've talked to 2 guys so far who had warm heatsinks and lockups; when they refitted or reseated the sink to make better contact the lockups stopped and the heatsinks ran extremely hot. Overclocking aside, I find that my card runs better [built by ATI 9700 Pro] with the aftermarket fanless Zalman ZM80A-HP heatsink -- a large chunk of aluminum ["aluminium" according to HRH EII]. The number of hardworking nanomice on that graphic treadmill is pretty high on the 9700 Pro!

john ward Dec 24, 2002, 11:26am EST Report Abuse
SYSTEM:
SOLTEK 75 FRV MOBO 8XAGP
AMD 2.0+ CPU
SAMSUNG 256 DDR (2100)MEMORY
ATI 9700 RETAIL
80G IBM DESKSTAR H/DRIVE
SAMSUNG DVD/CD RRW ROM
CREATIVE 52X CD ROM
HERCULES MXL SOUNDCARD
PHILIPS 150S TFT MONITOR
ALTEC LANSING 2100 2.1 SPEAKERS.

my ati card runs o.k in most applications but freezes in UT2003 AND JAMES BOND NIGHTFIRE. I've recently upgraded my modem to adsl for faster connection to the internet. I have been tweaking here and there and have noticed that if i play single player or instant action on UT2003 the game freezes between levels but if i disable the usb in the bios the game works fine? no online gaming though!!!!!!!!!!
Make no mistake i could have opened a clothing factory with all the thread errors i've had since installing this card.I thought the dx9 and catylst drivers would have done the trick or the hyperion drivers from Via but alas to no avail.

Matt Manos Dec 25, 2002, 02:16am EST Report Abuse
hey all...ok i can plz use ur help.. here are my specs first b4 i state my problem.

Azza P4x4-alh via p4x400 chipset mobo
p4 2.4 ghz procc
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
60 gb hd
512 DDr ram pc3200
sound blaster live 5.1
windows xp
400 watt power
cpu fan heatsink and 2 extra case fans

my problem is, like many others, im getting random freezes in the Game Counter-strike. I've experienced freezes in both open GL and Direct 3d modes. It happens after about an hour of playing it seems like. My frames are great while i play the game, that is why i dont think it's over heating bc i think my frames would drop if it were overheating, i've dled the newest mobo drivers. I've installed the ATI's 3.0 Catalyst drivers(latest availible) and dx9. I dont think the cards drivers or dx9 is the problem bc 2 of my buddies have the same os and same drivers and run the game fine. Im thinking it's either my mobo or my bios settings. I guess it could be getting a lack of power supply bc i have my computer cord connected to a weak power source. It's connected to many other cords, and then connected to the wall? could that perhaps be the problem? or maybe my bios? plz help im pretty new to computers.. thx again

matt

1 Dec 25, 2002, 05:55am EST Report Abuse
WELP, as most of you know, directx9 has been released to the public so I decided to download and install it over the beta 3 that I already had. Now, remember that I had no problems with this card while using the rco drivers and dx9beta3.
The new directx version seems to go in just fine and then comes the new drivers. After the normal uninstall then reinsatll using the new catalyst drivers I couldnt get the card to play ut2003. I hit the run dxdiag and under the display tab couldnt get direct 3d to be recognized. It wouldnt even let me do a d3d test.
After several hours of stupid attemps at any possible way I could think of to uninstall and reinstall, I found that I had no choice but to do a clean install. Ouch, I know, it sucked to have to whipe out 2.5 gig of ut2k3 maps and textures along with all the other games on there.....not that any other game matters....hehe. Istagib is where its at baby!
Luckily with a flick of the LAN all files where transfered back after the reformat! Once again all is well. I did however have to test d3d before directx would accept the new catalyst drivers. Originally the dxdiag tool detected that the radeon 9700 pro didnt have d3d capabilities, once you hit the test button then it learns rather quickly that it is an error and corrects itself.
Whats really got me torked is that I have 3 more machines that I have to do this on.
Ut2003 runs better if you install the game with the card already installed. If you upgraded with ut2k3 already installed then you might consider reinstalling the game with the 2136 patch fresh and then any maps that you have. Remember that alot of these maps that you might be playing are buggy. In alot of cases the crashed wont be your card but a glitch with a certain map.
If after this you have problems then you can bet that its hardware related. One other little bit of info. I have 3 retail versions (built by ati) and one of them seems to install under default sttings with a picture that looks half as good as the others. Strangly enough that one is the only one using DVI. I switched it to vga to test it and saw no difference. It is as if you were to slide the d3d slide all the way to performance and have no anti alaison. Strange thing is that this is also the best cooled system...was watercooled using the z4 intercooler from pcmods.com.

RiHa Dec 25, 2002, 09:08am EST Report Abuse
Asus A7V8X Bios 1011.002
Athlon XP 2400+
Excalibur Radeon 9700 pro Bios 8004
1,5 gig RAM
Catalyst 3, DX9, XP pro SP1
Hauppauge Nexus DVB-S (PCI-2)
LG DVD, HP CD-RW
Maxtor, WD HDs
1 additional HD on Raid
PSU 420 W

just CPU-Fan and Raedon-Fan

(any additional cooling I put in on seperate PSU did not help at all)

Settings:

Bios: AGP 8x
Apperture Size 128MB (at 64 and 256 stutter, did not test any other)
Performance Control and Fastwrite disabled

AGP Voltage 1.6V (this did the trick for me)

Renegade crashed almost instantly
Empire Earth after 5 to 10 minutes
AoM after 5 to 10 minutes
RtCW sort of Slow Motion like

with the above settings no problems so far

3Dmark 2001 se says 11384

all new ATI-Demos (like Pipe Dream) run perfectly

I think just 0.1 increase in Voltage to the Radeon was necessary
(and that after 3 weeks of searching the net, mailing ATI, Asus, Via ....)

if any Questions mailto:richard.o.hartmann@t-online.de

hope that helps somebody

Brent Klein Dec 25, 2002, 05:32pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700 NEED HELP !! PLEASE
I installed the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro on XP, after i install the drivers and reboot, it goes to load xp but when it goes to bring up the desktop it goes blank and the screen turns off, Does anyone know why its doing this.

john ward Dec 26, 2002, 06:45am EST Report Abuse
try the hyperion drivers from http://www.viaarena.com

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.