Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1503 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 21 - 10:53pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
Kevin Stricker Dec 31, 2002, 11:28am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
Ok, just tried messing with AGP voltage. It was quite unstable even underclocked at various higher levels of voltage. I recall as well that with my old motherboard I once removed all of my peripherals but the primary disk and Radeon and still had problems.

I honestly don't think I have a power issue. I think I have a hardware manufacturer trying to push hardware just a bit too far (at any rate) issue.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Bobby Marshall Dec 31, 2002, 12:00pm EST Report Abuse
>> to elipsor
i have a 350 watt power supply. when i check the temp of my cpu (which i can only do after restart or at first startup) it is never any higher than 47 C. I called pentium and they said that for the p4 2.8 overheating occurs at 75 C, and i dont think that the cpu temp would drop from 75 to 47 in about 15 seconds. but i could be wrong.

Dodge Guy Jan 01, 2003, 10:02am EST Report Abuse
Hey,just came across this forum and figured Id post my own nightmare.Upgraded to a7v8x mobo,(built by ati)9700 pro,xp2100 cpu.Every game except 1 locked 5 minutes in.This is with a clean OS install,dx9 THEN drivers for card etc.So for the first time in my life I call tech support and got nowhere fast........except for them telling me my OS (win98) should be upgraded to solve the problem.Well,I borrowed win 2000 pro,did a clean install on another drive and had the same issues.So there went the OS issue.Back to 98 and uninstalled all sound drivers,all ATI software,setup msconfig to only load the ini's.Loaded the newest ati driver and via 4 in 1 v4.41.Ran 3dmark2001se perfect.....12,400marks.My only issue is I can not run the control panel program or the system locks up......anyone running a "powered by ati" 9700 with something other than ATI's version of control panel?I need to try something else since I have no control over FSAA,aniso,agp strength.I do have the hercules tweaker installed but need a control panel app.TIA

Bobby Marshall Jan 01, 2003, 08:24pm EST Report Abuse
i figured the limit of my cpu. I can only raise it to 2.5 ghz. if i raise the the frequency from 119 to 120 the system closes during games. This doesnt make much sense since my cpu was made to run a 2.8 ghz. does this mean anything to anybody as to what my problem is. any help would be appreciated.

Dodge Guy Jan 01, 2003, 08:49pm EST Report Abuse
Switched to the omega drivers and bye bye problems.Card now hits 15000+ 3dmarks(oc'd).Now why couldnt ATI figure this out and put drivers together that work.Next thing is to go to the next revision of the via's and see if its still stableDidnt see any mention of the omega drivers here so.... http://www.omegacorner.com/ati.htm

Rick Robinson Jan 02, 2003, 07:26am EST Report Abuse
look ppl the only way in which u are going to sort this problem out in the long term until ATI sort their drivers out is when u install ure mobo and ATI card do NOT install your Via drivers which enable ure agp settings. I have had my computer running fine for a week now without the AGP settings on however as soon as i install the agp settings crash band wollap all the time.

I ran 3d mark with only a 1000 points decrease which migh be alot to some of u but the games that i run such as counter-strike and Ravens shield i still get a contant fps of 100. my 3d mark score is also still inpressive at 11,000 so there u have it just sit back and wait for ATI to get their act together. I might even try installing these via drivers and putting the omega drivers in its place ill keep u posted on the reults hope this helps.

Outa Myhead Jan 02, 2003, 09:10am EST Report Abuse
I had the ATI 9700 Pro running for almost a week without problems but then all of a sudden it just decides to lock up or at worst restart the computer when I try running any 3d game (even if it worked before).

I did update the BIOS to the latest version (F9) on my Gigabyte board (V7AXP) to get around the hanging problem at the start that would occur, I also noticed that the system got upset if it was set to the "high performance" setting where I would just get a blank screen.

I have found though that the card will run 2d games fine such as commandos or close combat, I'm wondering if part of the radeon card has died that deals with the 3d side of things. I'm getting a replacement card and I'll let you know if it works (I hope).

See bio for system setup.
Outa Myhead Jan 02, 2003, 04:05pm EST Report Abuse
Sorry I forgot to tell you my spec and didn't make myself clear on the blank screen part.

Okay the blank screen at the startup was I think caused by the BIOS being incompatible with the card, I did have the F4 BIOS originally so I replaced it with the latest one (F9) and this seemed to do the trick and it worked well for about 4-5 days playing GTA3 or Combat Flight Sim 3 (which looked brilliant) but then it just started to freez as soon as I went into a game such as GTA3 or in the worst case with soldier of fortune 2 it would restart the computer. I think it may well have been the Top performance function that may have damaged the 9700 in some way since that also caused a blank screen at startup.

If anyone has got this function enabled on my model of motherboard then try it with this feature turned off.

GA V7AXP
AMD XP 2600+
ATI 9700 Pro
1024MB DDR RAM
27.3GB IBM Deskstar
120GB IBM Deskstar
Falcon Rock CPU Heatsink
Cooler Master case fan
300Watt PSU (yes I know less power than what most ppl think it should have but it works......well did work, probably my bad for tweaking:))

brian kingshott Jan 02, 2003, 05:49pm EST Report Abuse
All my locking up troubles have been cured now..

After trying a many things, and spending a fortune in the process
Just get my Radeon 9700 pro working.

My original specs were

ASUS A7V8X with a Athlon 1800 XP
Radeon 9700 Pro
256Meg of DDR 266Mhz FSB
300 Watt Power Supply

This system locked up all the time I tried all the Ideas in this forum. No joy. I thought I sorted it with the Omega drivers- It just delayed the lock up till later in playing a direct 3D game, With Radeonater software, I under clocked the Video card this worked for many hrs without locking up.
Cooling problem maybe?, so I got some RamSinks etc and fitted them to the videocard.... no joy !!!
I then went to the Idea of the power supply unit not being powerful enough. No joy with that..
Was getting very fed up at that point and tried many settings etc 1.7 volts to AGP, fast write disabled etc etc, Omega drivers the lot.

Now I thought im gonna sort this out no matter what the cost!!!
I started thinking about the underclocking and thought could it be a timing or frequency kind of problem?, so I went out and brought a Athlon 2400XP CPU and 512Meg of the faster 333Mhz FSB DDR Ram
and you know what????

IT WORKS NOW and has not locked once!!!!!!!!!! I still have Fast write disabled and 1.7v on the AGP

System now............................................

ASUS A7V8X with a Athlon 2400 XP
Radeon 9700 pro
512 Meg of DDR 333Mhz FSB
425 Watt Power Supply

Im guessing but could ppls problem be that the Videocard is just to damm quick for the rest of their Hardware in particlurly in the CPU and Ram areas which can be a bottleneck in systems..

A very expensive cured i know......but the other bits will go in my other PC's so not totally a waste... I hope this might help someone. I've had so much trouble with getting this system stable

1 Jan 02, 2003, 07:06pm EST Report Abuse
lol that would be too funny if the only problem was a bottleneck! However, I do recall a few people with some nice systems posting problems, though if the bottleneck was the problem then that would explain about 80 percent of the people having problems and then the other 20 percent could be subject to user error in driver install, low power, bad ram, incompatible motherboards....etc.
I highly doubt that there is a single cure all for these problems. Too many factors play into a stable system and those factors are ussually different for everyone.

RiHa Jan 02, 2003, 09:09pm EST Report Abuse
have a look at my pst of dec. 25

my system is stil stable

also check the posts of rich robinson, whom i am in touch with, who
thought he had hism problems solved but ended up de-installing the
4in1 via drivers

so many people with only the 9700 in common having the same problem
finding so many different solutions i can only advise:

try:

dx9 plus catalyst 3.0

hyperion 4in1 (ver 4.45 works for me, but not for rick robinson ???)

underclocking the card (like 270 Mhz core and mem)

rase voltage to 1.6 or 1.7

fastwrite off

check your psu (at least 400W)

any other bios-settings as you feel comfy

omega drivers (no luck with those in my comp, stable but stutter)

my cpu is athlon xp 2400+ with 1,5 meg ram, not overclocked

in february we all shall laugh about it .....

RiHa Jan 02, 2003, 09:13pm EST Report Abuse
for everybodys amusement the reply i got from ati

(i filled the mentioned form in the first place!)

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting ATI Technical Support.

If you have a NON-RETAIL graphics card in your system, please contact your supplier for software and technical support.

NON-RETAIL graphics cards include the following:

1) graphics cards pre-installed in the machines sold by OEM system manufacturers / system integrators;

2) graphics cards in bulk version sold in static bags;

3) or in general any graphics card not sold in a RETAIL box.

If your question is not answered, or you have another technical issue, please re-submit your query via our Online "Request for Assistance" form available at the link below and choose Other in the subject field:

http://www.ati.com/online/euroform <http://www.ati.com/online/euroform>

The details requested in this form will assist us in providing you with the most accurate information available for your situation. Please also include your original email or a brief description of your problem in the reply.

Please note that we estimate a current response time of 10 days in replying to our customers' emails. We apologise for this delay.

Thank you for contacting ATI.

Bobby Marshall Jan 02, 2003, 11:41pm EST Report Abuse
k im pretty sure i fixed my problem and how stupid i was. I realized i didnt download chipset drivers. and that was the problem. but i had one more minor one before my system was perfect. my mobo(p3t533) has a cpu speed setting of either manual or u put in the cpu speed (for me the choices were 2100 or 2800) if u select 2800 it automatically switches the multiple to 21 and frequency to 133, but 21 times 133 isnt 2.81 (which 3dmark says my cpu speed is under this setting) it is 2.79 and i think because of this my computer would do the usual freeze. but when i switched it to manual and set the multiple to 21 and frequency to 134 (when u multiply 21 and 134 u do get 2.81) my computer works fine. i dont know if this will help anybody but i posted it anyway.

Rick Robinson Jan 03, 2003, 07:08am EST Report Abuse
done that RiHA m8 i installed thoese via drivers that u posted and now things are working fine again

lol for how long anyway thx pal keep in touch :D

brian kingshott Jan 03, 2003, 08:42am EST Report Abuse
I have to agree with you on that DOCMODGOD, there are so many variables within a PC system to make it stable. Leading edge Hardware always seems to have teething problems. I'm sure in a few months time ATI will have a new driver which will sort out all these problems, and the motherboard companies will have new bios updates to fully support Videocards like the Radeon 9700 pro, and peoples problems with the videocard will become a distant memory. :)

Outa Myhead Jan 03, 2003, 09:32am EST Report Abuse
I agree with DOCMODGOD on the post about the card being too quick, I've yet to see how it could possibly have a bottleneck on my system seeing as all the XP chips above 2400+ have a 333 BUS speed and the memory I have got is 333 and I'm not sure about the card but I think the memory on that is either 333 or above and most of the people having probs in here are either on AGP4 or 8x so that shouldn't be a problem either as the card supports 2 4 or 8x AGP ports (that's what it says anyway:S).

I looked on the Rage3D website and found out that it is a half and half if the card works on the model of board that I have, so hopefully when I get my replacement card I will see if the board is still working properly or if the card has done damage to that as well:(.

AMD XP2600+ (333)
GA-7VAXP
1024MB 333 DDR RAM
ATI 9700 Pro
27.3GB IBM Deskstar
120GB IBM Deskstar
Falcon Rock cooling fan
CoolerMaster case fan
300 Watt PSU

1 Jan 03, 2003, 10:10am EST Report Abuse
I still think that all these problems are related to user error or incompatible hardware.....why?......because I build high end gaming systems for a living and I have never once had any problems with this card. I have installed 9 of these cards and the only difference is that all of them were a fresh build or reformat.
This means that you could be having other problems like driver install order.
This should be your order of software install after a fresh reformat:
install os
install chipset drivers
install mobo drivers
DO THE WINDOWS UPDATES! <-----very important as most of us know!
then dx9
finally the dx9 radeon drivers.

I you install the driver prior to dx9 then it will likely not work well, same goes for radeon driver before agp driver. Programs like radeonator have been known to cause problems too.....even when not overclocked.
As for these problems possibly being related to the age of the other gear...could be....I have never intalled this card on any board prior to the msi k7t266pro2aru. I personlly have radeons running on these mobos:
msi k7t266pro2aru
msi k7vL
soyo kt400 dragon platinum
asus a7n8x deluxe
soyo kt3 dragon ultra platinum
gigabyte ga-7vrxp
msi kt3 ultra
msi kt4 ultra
no problems with any of them ever!

brian kingshott Jan 03, 2003, 03:58pm EST Report Abuse
Hmmmmm Age of gear??? that got me thinking........... my 1800XP processor was a very early one well over a yr ago now.. Tried my Radeon in one of my other PC's with a

EP-8KTA3+Pro 512 of RAM (1800 XP)

with all the lastest driver updates and simliar settings in bios of my fastest PC which is now okay

1800 (300 watt PSU)

Identical problems to what I had in my Main PC

Just for the sake of it I might try it in my 1600XP based PC and see if it works!!!!!!

I also build PC's and have done since the hazy days of when the 486 PC's ruled the world.....lol

brian kingshott Jan 03, 2003, 03:58pm EST Report Abuse
Hmmmmm Age of gear??? that got me thinking........... my 1800XP processor was a very early one well over a yr ago now.. Tried my Radeon in one of my other PC's with a

EP-8KTA3+Pro 512 of RAM (1800 XP)

with all the lastest driver updates and simliar settings in bios of my fastest PC which is now okay

1800 (300 watt PSU)

Identical problems to what I had in my Main PC

Just for the sake of it I might try it in my 1600XP based PC and see if it works!!!!!!

I also build PC's and have done since the hazy days of when the 486 PC's ruled the world.....lol

Rick Robinson Jan 04, 2003, 08:41am EST Report Abuse
o.k im going to give the ver 4.25 via drivers to see if they work RihA i didnt give u the ver of the drivers that i uninstalled without the driver installed the games run crap! so ill keep u posted on the outcome i doubt that it will work

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.