Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1667 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 08 - 01:00am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
gou yang Jan 18, 2003, 03:20am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
I bought a brand new one. It had problems. I went to ATI's website and downloaded a new set of drivers.

It seems to be okay now.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dodge Guy Jan 18, 2003, 09:10am EST Report Abuse
All I can say is dont give up.The card is incredible when its up and running.Took me 2 days of bios/chipset/card driver combinations till I hit on one that worked.Just make sure you uninstall ALL DRIVERS FIRST,have your various chipset/card drivers all d/loaded and ready to go.Make sure you set a system save point before you start to go back and start over.Just play with driver combos(installed in the correct order) till you hit one that works.Its time consuming and frustrating but the end result will be worth the aggrivation.I was close to "hammer time" myself.
My specs:
asus a7v8x
xp 2100
9700 pro
win 98

Using:
via 4.41 chipset drivers
bios revision 1009
Omega radeon drivers

3-Oh-Beast Jan 20, 2003, 09:06pm EST Report Abuse
>> yesssssssssss
i've done it. after almost throwing my radeon out the god dam window, i've fixed everything. this is for winxp, and i hope this will help some other people. these are my specs-

winxp prof, p4/1.8ghz, 256ddr, radeon 9700tx, 500wpsu

note: iam now running a 500w power supply unit. when i first put my radeon in i was using a 400. when i later upgraded to a 500 my problems were still there. therefore, iam assuming that my 400w supply was just fine. some of you have huge systems though, so for you, 400w may be marginal in terms of getting proper function of the radeon, and so i suggest you get a 500 or above.

my lockup/restart problems were bad, usually occuring immediately after starting a game or about 3-4 minutes after start up with normal app use. this is what i did-

first, i uninstalled all drivers i had, which were catalyst 3.0 drivers. that means getting rid of the temp folders 'ati' and 'ati technologies' too. if you installed catalyst, get rid of them, and perferably uninstall ati control panel if you have that too.

then, i went into cmos setup, and changed my 'agp aperture' to 128..it was set to 64 for some reason. this option is in advanced bios setup i think, but you'll find it once you get into cmos. my agp 4x enable feature was set to 'enable.'

lastly, i went back and installed drivers in this order-
1- ati display drivers from http://www.ati.com for winxp, not necessary to reboot.

2- omega radeon display drivers from techconnect, the url is below, you will have to register but it's free and fast

http://www.techconnect.nl/download.php?ok=ok&language=engl...a_2355.exe

NOTE- while installing the omega drivers, press 'yes' to replace a couple of the files previously installed by ati. the omega ones are older, but since they claim to fix bugs in catalyst 3, i gave them priority.

4- reboot

5- install ati control panel, reboot.

control panel isn't necessary of course but nice to have. iam fairly certain that my only problem was having my agp aperture set to 64 instead of a128. go into your cmos and make sure this is set correctly. then proceed with ati display, omega drivers, and ati control panel.

if my computer can handle the card, yours can too. if this still does not fix the problem, try underclocking the card with radeonator and then setting a different agp voltage rate. good luck.

:: P5N32-E sli + Q6600 @ 3ghz
:: 4GBs Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
:: EVGA 8800GTX
:: 2 WD Raptors 10,000rpm 74gb RAID0
:: Gateway 24" FHD2400 LCD
Shane Busa Jan 22, 2003, 01:12am EST Report Abuse
What is the best way to change the voltage? I didn't see anything in my bios.

1 Jan 22, 2003, 10:16am EST Report Abuse
Get this.....I have mentioned before that I had 3 radeon 9700 pros that all worked flawlessly using dx9 and the catalyst rco drivers......well I did eventually upgrade to the final version of dx9 and the catalyst 3 drivers. I still had zero problems.
Well, I just talked a buddy into buying one for Asherens call 2. He bought a sapphire edition from ocsystem.com. When It arrived I loaded up dx9 and the cat3 drivers. His machine would load at first but then fail at any attempt to render direct3d. I checked everything imaginable and even mirrored the bios to with one of the systems that I have that is using the same mobo. I thought that maybe the power supply was the culprit so I took his card and swapped it with one of mine. His card caused my system to not even boot initially but I got 4 loud chirps from the mobo.....after a couple of resets it would boot but still not render anything using direct 3d..........
Seems to me that their are some bad cards out there! Its going to take alot to get his card RMA'd since ocsystem installed a thermaltake crystal orb and BGA heatsinks. They said to go to ati for an rma. Ati wont take modified cards for return though. Isnt that the situation from hell. It took alot to talk this guy into buying one too......he is one of those guys that insists he needs nothing more then a tnt 2....haha....yet his main games are ut2k3 and asherons call 2.

Joe Smolinski Jan 22, 2003, 09:16pm EST Report Abuse
I'll tell you what I did. I did not upgrade anything, or re install anything. I RMA'd the card. I've had the replacement in for about 2 weeks and have not had a single problem. I can play any game I choose at normal clock speeds without incident. Before I could only play UT2003 for about a minute before it freaked out, I had to underclock the card to play. I believe I just got a bad card and I think I got a good one this time. Like I said I didn't change a thing. No bigger psu, no more fans, no settings, nothing.

Shane Busa Jan 23, 2003, 11:14am EST Report Abuse
I just built a 2Ghz P4 with a 350watt pwr supply for a friend and the card won't work in his. I put the card in my PC (1.6GHz P4, 300watt pwr supply) and it works fine. So right now I have his card in mine and mine is his.

Mike Zamarocy Jan 23, 2003, 09:14pm EST Report Abuse
"first, i uninstalled all drivers i had, which were catalyst 3.0 drivers. that means getting rid of the temp folders 'ati' and 'ati technologies' too. if you installed catalyst, get rid of them, and perferably uninstall ati control panel if you have that too."

Well, that there is my problem! I uninstalled all ATi drivers, but the damn ATi Control Panel absolutely will NOT go away! I tried uninstalling it 50 times, and it is still there. Even when I put my old GF3 in, it pops up saying no ATi card found and goes away - and when I try to uninstall it then, it STILL stays on! UGH!!!!!!!!

1 Jan 23, 2003, 11:45pm EST Report Abuse
>> radeon swap
Thats hilarious and I think that it goes to show that the manufacturing process is by no means flawless. You can bet that if there is one bad one then there are many.

1 Jan 23, 2003, 11:47pm EST Report Abuse
>> radeon swap
Thats hilarious and I think that it goes to show that the manufacturing process is by no means flawless. You can bet that if there is one bad one then there are many.

1 Jan 23, 2003, 11:48pm EST Report Abuse
>> radeon swap

GoD ahahah Jan 29, 2003, 08:43pm EST Report Abuse
OK my problem is with unreal 2003
i currently get only around 40 fps average and it seems to max out at 40 fps and is very unstable, sometimes dropping to 6 fps average.
canging the resolutions seems to make no difference except makes a bit more stable, the fps get no higher.
i get a score of around 11600 on 3d mark. Help!

P4 2gig
Hercules Radeon 9700 pro
512 ddr 333
asus p4s333 motherboard

1 Jan 29, 2003, 09:50pm EST Report Abuse
>> UT2003 refresh rate problems..........
The 2166 patch of Ut2k3 was supposed to have fixed the fps problems with high end cards. If you already have the 2166 patch and are still having problems then try reinstalling drivers, game, patch, and directx9.
If you have already done all that then start looking at the agp settings in the bios. Low voltage setting could cause minor instability in the form of loss of fps. Try bringing it up to 1.7v. I run mine at 1.8v but I have adequate cooling for that. Make sure you have the current bios for your motherboard too.

Locke Cole Jan 30, 2003, 05:57am EST Report Abuse
>> ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB DDR Loop Problem!@#
II'm having tons of issues with my new ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB DDR card... First off I just upgraded from having 2 video cards (nVidia GeForce 256 DDR and a Voodoo3 2000) to this card to save resources and to get a better card.. I'm starting to think it was a very bad idea. I actually went out on a ledge here to switch to ATI which I had never used, my other idea was a GeForce 4...

The problems I'm having are:
Sluggish performance in Quake 3 (c'mon my old GeForce 256 DDR could play this game flawlessly... this card should be able to do even better!)
3DMark locks up and refuses to run every time
Random lockups in Return to Castle Wolfenstien
TVOut functionality is very shoddy (not worried about this one at the moment)

The 3d Mark lockup I attribute to the Loop error everyone has now familiarized themselfs with it seems... and I think thats the bulk of my problems. Reducing my card to AGP 2x in the bios fixes this problem, but why should I have to stoop down to AGP2X???.. ok enough bitching from me... here are some specs on my system and what I've tried so far to solve this problem.

MSI 694D Pro Dual Pentium 3 Motherboard
2 Pentium 3 933mhz Processors
640MB PC133 SDRAM
SB Live!
RealTek Network Card
420Watt Power Supply
Latest Catalyst drivers (as of 1/30/03 on ATI's site)

Things I've tried that dont help:
Uninstalling Via 4-in-1 drivers and going back to WinXP SP1 default drivers.
Disabling AGP Fast Writes
Disabling 2nd monitor
Disabling TV Out (unplugging TV connection so ATI drivers dont detect it..)
Several other peoples hacked ATI drivers (none worked whatsoever.. sometimes made problem worse)
Different AGP Aperature sizes.
Unplugging some of my neon lights in my case so nothing is taking extra power away from the system.
Killing all applications running except the bare essentials before running 3d programs.
Tottaly removing ATI drivers in safe mode (and manually deleting reg entries/files left behind)
Removing 1 stick of SDRAM to see if more voltage going to the AGP card helps.
Lower resolutions (I run 1024x768 @ 85hz)
Checked my temperatures inside the case and on the cpus, they are just fine.
Underclocking the Radeon using Radeonator 2.0.

After all of that and rebooting about 25 times, I am so extremely p**sed I even bought this product! But I've read around that nVidia products also can have this problem, so I suppose ATI is not to blame.. but man I'm still probably going to return the card and revert back to my GeForce 256 DDR.. at least it got the job done. Anyone have any more suggestions I can try (short of just leaving my system on AGP 2x which I dont like one bit, only getting like 5000 3dmarks at AGP 2x..)?

Locke Cole Jan 30, 2003, 07:29am EST Report Abuse
Ok after posting my article earlier I've read alot of people who seem to support this theory that its a power supply problem... ok no problem I'm going to test this now. Keep in mind my current power supply was a 420watt ps when I was having these problems..

I unhooked all my hard drives, fans, cd-roms, etc... and hooked it up to an old 350watt I have laying around, shorted out the pins on it so it would stay on constantly.. and STILL have the infinite loop and lockup problems... man this is really annoying... I looked in my bios however and the hardware monitor in there reports 3.2v for the 3.3 setting, erm I'm no electricity wizard but shouldnt it be at least 3.3 since its the 3.3 rating?... hmmmm.. man... I'm either going to RMA this card by the end of this week, or exchange it for a GefFrce 4 and just pray it doesnt have the same issue.

Gil Lopez Jan 30, 2003, 08:23am EST Report Abuse
Just put together a new system.

Asus A7V8X w/bios 1010
AMD 2600+ / 333 FSB
512mb Ocz Ehanced Latency 3500 DDR Memory
ATI 9700 Pro 128mb
Creative Audigy 2
Broadcom Gigabit Lan (on Motherboard)
Plextor CD-RW
Teac 1.44
Enermax 350 pwr supply
Acrylic clear case with 5 fans that have led lights on them

Installed Windows XP- no problems. Windows XP runs with no problems. Installed Everquest and would crash in turbo mode, but iI could play for a while in optimal mode. Installed Battlefield 1942 it would last about 10 min then the screen would go black and I could hear a sound loop or the system would completely reset. Reading the other posts I underclocked everything from the memory, Front side bus, cpu speed, sound card (in game), and video card. This would allow me to play BF 1942 for about 20-30 min then it would crash. I continued to check these posts and noticed that everyone mentioned the power consumption of this video card. I checked and in my bios you are allowed to changed the voltage. I moved it from 1.5v to 1.6v. Played BF1942 for 1 hour straight no crash. I moved all settings back to normal and continued to play for a couple more hours. Crashed only once during a new map load. Hope this is it.

Wondering, 1.5v to 1.6v cause the card to overheat? Wondering if I can move it up to 1.7v. What is the max temp the video card can reach? Is there a way to check video card temp? Also what is the safe max temp an AMD cpu can reach. Web surfing like now it says im at 52c. After playing BF1942 it says 55-60c. This okay?

Hope this helps!
Lumpous1

Locke Cole Jan 30, 2003, 08:31am EST Report Abuse
Your bios lets you change the voltage to the AGP controller directly? The only voltages I can change are to my CPU's (each independantly).

Gil Lopez Jan 30, 2003, 08:53am EST Report Abuse
Yes on the Asus A7V8X MB you can place the voltage on auto, or manually set it. Moves in .1v steps.

Just performed 3dbenchmark on system with agp at 1.6v
13673 was the score I got.

1 Jan 30, 2003, 09:56am EST Report Abuse
The card shouldnt overheat.....mine has loads of cooling but the system I let my wife play on is an xp2700+, radeon 9700pro(1.7v), and she plays ut2k3 with me everynight for about 3 hours. By the way, burn protection should prevent you from hitting 90c. I would seriously consider getting a better heat sink and fan for your cpu though. The t-breds are hot and if you dont mind the noise a swiftech mcx462 is the best way too go short of watercooling. Mine is cooled by the koolance exos for now but the case itself is acrylic with 2x80mm chrome fans for intake at the pci slots, 1x80mm front intake, 1 80mm rear intake, 1x80mm top exhaust, and finally 1x120mm top exhaust......then of course the exos has 3x80mm fans to cool the radiator. Obviously I value performance over noise especially when I have my speakers cranked all the time so I cant hear them.
http://www.pcmods.com
They should have some temperature devices to assist you in monitoring the vga temp. They also have a great baybus controller that can use custom led colors to spice up your system. You can see the end result if you look at my website at the very bottom of my system.

Eclipsor Jan 31, 2003, 08:07am EST Report Abuse
sorry this is a stupid post :)

Epox 8rda3+, Athlon xp 2600+, 512Mb 466MHzDDR ram, Hercules Radeon 9700 pro, Samsung 19" flat crt, Sony 15" LCD, Lite-On 52x52x24 burner, WD 80Gig with 8Meg cache, Enermax 550W psu, ThermalTake Xaser2 6000a

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.