Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 871 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 07 - 11:41pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
GoD ahahah Jan 31, 2003, 08:06pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
OK this is still concerning my problem with the UT2003 Refresh rate. I have reinstalled everything about 3 times or more in most cases and i am still having the same problems. My motherboard dosen't allow me to adjust my agp voltage, even with jumpers. So i am still in the dark.
Help Again!?!
Thinking posssible problem is motherboard but that doesn't explain why i have good 3D Mark scores.
The only problem i seem to have is with games. I think that this problem is consistant with all games on my computer.

P4 2gig
Hercules 9700 pro
512 kingmax ddr 2700
asus p4s333/c

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dave Carpenter Feb 01, 2003, 07:40pm EST Report Abuse
I've been following this thread for a few weeks hoping to solve my kt400/9700pro issues. Like others I really, really wanna use this card to its potential. I've come to think that this is gonna take a while while for chipset and video drivers to mature for this beast. If it will help someone here, I have got mine fairly stable with both Open GL and D3D, but at a sacrifice. Look at the system specs for drivers below, I left the VIA Agp driver installed (tried both ways tho) then set agp to 4x and Core and Memory clock to 252mhz, Increased agp voltage .1 to 1.60v, : ( . Using power strip. games are all maxed out with eyecandy, and fps average 45 to 90 (rtcw). I have also tried different PSU's Not nearly what I had hoped for this machine. Just for curosity I also swaped out my wife's Gforce2pro on here Win XP machine Kx 133 chipset and CRASH. So I guess we'll just have to limp along as drivers mature.

Win98SE
Gigabyte GA-7VAX Rev 1.1 w/VIA Hyperion 4in1445v
Athlon XP2600+ @333 (not overclocked) w/Volcano 8 HSF
1 512mb stick GEIL PC3200 @Cas2 clk2 1t w/copper HS at Slot 1
OCSystem Radeon 9700pro w/ramsinks and blue orb. ver 1.0 (Ithink)
Catalyst 3.0 (7.81) w/control panel.
30 gig Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 7200rpm 2mb cache with 2/2-20mm fans (IDE Master0)
Sony 52x CD Rom (IDE master 1)
Onboard AC97 5.1 sound (Realtek ALC650) w/update
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speader System
Onboard LAN Realtek RTL8100BL w/update
Sylvania F97 19" Monitor
USR ISDN pro TA Terminal Adapter (usb)

Daniel Rasmussen Feb 01, 2003, 09:09pm EST Report Abuse

1 Feb 01, 2003, 09:11pm EST Report Abuse
The problem with that is that you shouldnt have to underclock you card from retail specs. I have 3 boards here with me and I decided to inspect them a little more closely and side by side. I found that the 2 cards that work fine seem to have an earlier version diode on board......they are black. The board that doesnt work is more recent and has yellow diodes on the board. I thought well......maybe they went with a cheaper chip......then as I took a closer look at the bad 9700 i noticed a small chip about a eigth of an inch thick had fallen on to the pcb and got solderd to another chip. I noticed this because of the sloppy soldering job. I carved this thing off the baord and fired it up......boots but wont render3d at all. Undercloclked it, omega drivered it, etc. In the end I found out that it could do everything if set to 16bit but the second you make the switch to 32bit you crash. Obviously a bad board. RMA your bad boards directly to ATI

1 Feb 01, 2003, 09:14pm EST Report Abuse
look at your bad boards to see if any of the tiny chips are yellow.....if they are then they are part of the same batch of bad boards and they might be able to isolate it to that???

Pit Viper Feb 01, 2003, 10:47pm EST Report Abuse

Greetings All,

I serendipitously stumbled upon this thread while comtemplating the purchase of a Radeon 9700 to replace my Geforce 4 Ti4400. This thread has answered my question, and solidified my hypothesis regarding the instability of my Geforce 4 Ti4400.

This problem obviously is not isolated to Radeon 9700 card owners. If you do enough forum browsing, you will find Geforce owners complaining about lock-ups similar to those which many people in this forum are describing. In my case, I get a lock-up with a completely garbled screen the majority of the time. It does not occur very frequently with most games. However, with certain games (notably, as somebody mentioned earlier, the original Unreal Tournament), it is simply inevitable.

I am 100% convinced that the problems that many of us are experiencing are do to insufficient AGP voltage to the graphics card. Unfortunately, in my case, my motherboard provides no means of increasing the voltage to the AGP card (I am using an Abit TH7-II motherboard).

Interestingly enough, the voltage drain to the 3.3 V rail can be observed using Motherboard Monitor. Using NVEffectsbrowser 2.0 with an effect that has been known to produce the dreaded "Thread Stuck in Device Driver" crash ("Vertex Program for register combiner bump mapping setup... (1.0)"), I observed the voltage drop from 3.28 to 3.25, while the voltage stays fairly constant during other effects that did not cause any crashing (and during normal video card usage, such as web browsing).

I also discovered (as many here have discovered) that underclocking the card results in greater stability. Unreal Tournament, for example, would typically crash within five minutes of playing at 1600x1200. If I underclocked the card, however, to half of the stock core/memory speed, the crashing completely disappeared. Why is the card far more stable at lower core/memory clock speeds? I believe this is because less voltage is consumed at lower clock speeds.

Graphics card technology is obviously evolving at a rapid rate. Software developers cannot keep up, and now it appears that motherboard manufacturers cannot keep up either. This is not to imply that it is the fault of the motherboard manufacturers with regards to the issues that most of us are experiencing - I believe that nVidia and ATi were/are aware of the power consumption issues (note the extra power connector on the Geforce FX - a bit too late for many unwitting Geforce 4 owners). It's a shame that many video card owners are stuck with problematic hardware, and as a result, many may need to incur additional expenses, with no guarantee that a resolution to their problems will be discovered without replacing major system components.

Gregor Burger Feb 02, 2003, 10:14am EST Report Abuse
hi out there!

i have had problems similar to other people posting in this thread.
i habe tried everthing what's mentioned here. the only thing that
helped was to uninstall the via agp to cpu connection (it's that
called in the device manager in win2k). i have no crashes since
i deinstalled the driver. i do have only 8 bit colors on the desktop
but games are running stable and in full 32 bit color depth.
in the first moment you would think it's a driver problem but
i have the feeling it's a chipset problem/error/fault/... which only
occours when the installed driver fully supports the agp features of the
chip sets. that's why the crashes are manufacture/mobo/cpu/os/driver
indipendent.

the only drawback from this solution is that the performance is not
the same as it would be with a working chip set and working drivers
for them.

by the way look at your revision number... send back all cards from
the 1st and 2nd revision.

so just try it i hope it works for you

gregor

--------------------
AMD Athlon 1200
512 MB SDRAM
MSI K7T Trubo2
Connect 3d Radeon 9700 (Revision 3 i think)
400 W POWMAX PSU
SB 512 PCI

r ob Feb 02, 2003, 10:54am EST Report Abuse
My spec:

Athlon 2200+
GA-7VAXP
512mb pc2100
ati radeon 9700 pro
win xp

Just upgraded to the radeon from a gf4 mx440. My system now locks whenever i try to play any game or benchmark test. I have heard it could be a problem with the bios settings/ the voltage going to the agp slot or a problem with the psu.
I have reinstalled xp and updated it using patch sp1 and updated the via and radeon divers
any help please...

Mickey F. Mouse Feb 02, 2003, 07:52pm EST Report Abuse
I have a Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro, with the latest Catalyst 3 drivers. I'm running WinXP with DX9. I have the AGP voltage at 1.7v.

In the display control panel, you can set antialiasing to be set by the application (but you can't disable it entirely). I have it set that way, but ALL games get antialiased. While that would be OK for a first person shooter, in games like SimCity 4 or Age of Mythology it makes text unreadable and corrupts the graphics (especially in SC4).

I also have this problem in AoM (as described on this forum by another member):

"All the games I have tried run, many quite well at maximum resolution (16x12), but there is this issue of "skipping". I know what a slow card is, but somehow I don't think this is the case, because no matter how low i turn the resolution, the skipping persists. It is usually periodic; you can count and predict the skips like a clock ticking."

What can I do to turn off FSAA unless specifically called for by a game in that game's settings?

I tried using two different 3rd party tweak programs and then uninstalling and reinstalling the Catalyst drivers, but no luck.

stevetabb Feb 03, 2003, 08:50am EST Report Abuse
I think what all these problems come down to is that there are a lot of unsatisfied customers out there with the Asus A7V8X and Radeon 9700 Pro combination. Its about time Asus and ATI got their act together and resolved these issues. Maybe they could make a clear statement as to whether there is a known problem with these boards. I also have the A7V8X and Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro with lockups and freezing during games.
ARE YOU LISTENING ATI AND ASUS???? !!

Asus A7V8X
Athlon XP 2400+
Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro
512MB Corsair DDR 3200
Soundblaster Audigy
Mickey F. Mouse Feb 03, 2003, 10:18am EST Report Abuse
I finally got my Radeon 9700 Pro to work right. Now I can play games at 1600x1200 with no slowdown (so far).

Here's the deal:

Download the Omega tweaked ATI drivers (latest version - http://www.omegacorner.com/ati.htm). They are fiddled with to make the ATI drivers more stable.

First, in the BIOS, set AGP memory to 32 MB. Set AGP voltage to 1.6 (default is usually 1.5). Set fastwrite to off. (Why isn't this info in the manual that came with the card?!)

Next, uninstall the ATI drivers you may have previously installed, reboot into safe mode, use Regedit and find all instances of "radeon" and delete all those registry keys. Then reboot into regular mode.

Install the Omega drivers and reboot.

It took me much trial and error to get this far. First, I had trouble with antialiasing being applied even when I turned it off. Then I had trouble in Age of Mythology with horrible jerkiness at any resolution. Now, things are fine. The only problem I had was when I played AoM for a few hours and the card overheated and crashed my PC. I think it was because I had the AGP at 1.7 v, so I lowered it to 1.6.

There are some really nice DirectX 9 demos at http://www.ati.com/developer/demos/r9700.html

(Older demos and screensavers, that might work on other DX8 cards are here: http://www.ati.com/developer/demos.html )

The Animusic demo is especially amazing.

It took a lot of searching the Net to get this info, and a lot of trial and error. I am using an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. If this info works for you, spread it around on other message boards so that other people can get their cards to work.

Mickey F. Mouse Feb 03, 2003, 10:28am EST Report Abuse
To be more specific:

The AGP voltage info I found on various ATI hardware forums, including here.

The 32 MB AGP memory setting I found on an Age of Mythology forum it fixes the stuttering nicely.

The registry thing about deleting radeon keys is because all that tweaking you do (in vain, in my case) with 3rd party software and all the info from previous driver installs stays in the registry even if you uninstall it in the add and remove programs control panel. (Which is very screwed up, I think.) If you don't do it in safe mode, regedit will refuse to allow you to delete certain keys which are in use. (I think this step is the most important. I did something similar when I had trouble with my old GeForce 3 and it helped.)

I used the Omega drivers after the Cat3s didn't help, but before I thought of removing stuff from the registry. I can't say for sure if things will work with the regular Cat3s or not, but I'm using the Omegas with no trouble. They are based on the latest Cat3s.

Mickey F. Mouse Feb 03, 2003, 10:36am EST Report Abuse
Oops, sorry I forgot to say:

When you reboot after deleting keys in the registry in safe mode, Windows will find your card and ask you to tell it where the drivers are. It will find "two cards" (because the Radeon is set up to show as a primary and secondary hardware entry for some reason). Both times you should cancel the hardware wizard, and when Windows tells you the hardware may not work right and stops running those wizards, then you can install the Omega drivers.

Eric Binger Feb 03, 2003, 05:26pm EST Report Abuse
Hi all !

I've a boring glitch with my new build system :

ABIT KD7
256 Mb DDR 333 Mhz
Athlon Duron 2000+
ATI Radeon 9700 PRO

The first time (of the day) the system boot correctly and I can launch without problem winme or Linux... I can work several hours without crash.

If now I need to reboot the system, it hang at the "POST" phase. showing very slowly the information sabout IDE Drives, system, and cannot find the disk.

Sure it's an hardware problem because at this state we aren't into Winme or Linux.

The only workaround is to close the PC, close the power and wait 15 minutes ! after this the system will start again...

I've tried all combinaison between agp aperture size, fast write, voltages for CPU and DDR, without success... :-(

Any idea ?

Thank you !

Richard Doyle Feb 03, 2003, 08:33pm EST Report Abuse
I just bought a Sapphire Version of the ATI 9700 Pro. My machine specs are below. I am getting vertical lines of missing pixels on the startup/login/logoff/shutdown screen in Win XP (but only on the bottom quarter of the screen-- the light blue part). Also, when I try to open menus on the screen (fade in effect) they "pixelate" (you can see the pixels flashing) while the menu comes up. Lastly, the default windows buttons (cancel, ok, etc.) are missing pixels (the same pixels on every button). Does anyone else have this problem? I've tried various things posted above, but none seem to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Specs:

Soyo P4X400 Dragon Platinum Edition
P4 2.4 533 FSB
Radeon 9700 Pro (Sapphire edition)
512 MB memory (crucial)
431W Enermax Whisper PS
Windows XP Pro

Latest Soyo Bios revision
Catalyst 3.0
DX9
All Microsoft updates

Eclipsor Feb 03, 2003, 09:57pm EST Report Abuse
maybe try underclocking the card. How do games run?

Epox 8rda3+, Athlon xp 2600+, 512Mb 466MHzDDR ram, Hercules Radeon 9700 pro, Samsung 19" flat crt, Sony 15" LCD, Lite-On 52x52x24 burner, WD 80Gig with 8Meg cache, Enermax 550W psu, ThermalTake Xaser2 6000a
Richard Doyle Feb 03, 2003, 10:03pm EST Report Abuse
I haven't tried changing the voltage on the card at all b/c I don't know what to set it to exactly and I don't want to damage anything :o). The only game I have put on my new comp. so far is Battlefield 1942 and I get the same kind of problem in that game as I mentioned above (missing / flashing pixels all over the place) Thanks,

Richard

Mickey F. Mouse Feb 04, 2003, 06:42am EST Report Abuse
To Eric:

When I first built my system, I tried to run the DDR memory at 200 MHz and the CPU at it's FSB speed of 133 MHz (I think). I had similar problems. Try setting your memory to sync or whatever FSB speed is the same as what your CPU runs at. A Duron probably doesn't have as fast a FSB as the memory you have, so a mismatch in the settings is the first thing that came to mind.

Mickey F. Mouse Feb 04, 2003, 06:42am EST Report Abuse
To Eric:

When I first built my system, I tried to run the DDR memory at 200 MHz and the CPU at it's FSB speed of 133 MHz (I think). I had similar problems. Try setting your memory to sync or whatever FSB speed is the same as what your CPU runs at. A Duron probably doesn't have as fast an FSB as the memory you have, so a mismatch in the settings is the first thing that came to mind.

Mickey F. Mouse Feb 04, 2003, 06:43am EST Report Abuse
To Eric:

When I first built my system, I tried to run the DDR memory at 200 MHz and the CPU at it's FSB speed of 133 MHz (I think). I had similar problems. Try setting your memory to sync or whatever FSB speed is the same as what your CPU runs at. A Duron probably doesn't have as fast an FSB as the memory you have, so a mismatch in the settings is the first thing that came to mind.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.