Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1273 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 06:44am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
1 Feb 09, 2003, 10:47am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
thats odd, 6 months ago I had a gigabyte ga-7vrxp with geil pc3200 (1024mb). I couldnt run alot of games without dropping the timing to cas2.5 and turning off bank interleave. Mine was supposed to be ocsystem pc3200 with copper heat spreaders, when I removed the heat spreaders to install the DIMwater blocks I noticed that these sticks were geil. I have never been able to get either stick to work with an motherboard I have. I switched to corsair and all of my corsair ram has performed beyond advertised. I currently have the fsb synched with the ddr at 184 running cas 2-2-2-5-1t-2bank.
Could it be that the geil manufacturing process is lacking in consistancy? I assume you already tried raising the dimm voltage to compensate for the aggressive cas 2 timings?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dave Carpenter Feb 09, 2003, 06:57pm EST Report Abuse
yeah, I tried all the overvoltage, bigger psu and all that stuff early on in my ati nightmare : ) It seem strange that i purchased this ram for its CAS2 capability and my board's SPD configured it as CAS2 also. But i can't explain why but it is stable...

Gigabyte GA-7VAX Rev 1.1 w/VIA Hyperion 4in1445
Athlon XP2600+ @333 (not overclocked) w/Volcano 8 HSF
1 512mb stick GEIL PC3200 @Cas2.5 clk3 2t w/copper HS at Slot 1
OCSystem Radeon 9700pro w/ramsinks and blue orb. ver 1.0 (Ithink)
Catalyst 3.0 (7.81) w/control panel.
30 gig Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 7200rpm 2mb cache with 2/2-20mm fans (IDE Master0)
Sony 52x CD Rom (IDE master 1)
Onboard AC97 5.1 sound (Realtek ALC650) w/update
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speader System
Onboard LAN Realtek RTL8100BL w/update
Sylvania F97 19" Monitor
USR ISDN pro TA Terminal Adapter (usb)
Win98SE

Peter Knowles Feb 12, 2003, 12:05pm EST Report Abuse
I too have had problems like youselvs having spoken to ATI and Gigabyte.

New 3.1 Catalyst drivers are out and those with a GA7-VAX, VAXP range of mbo;s now gave an F11 Bios.

I have a PSU unit on order and will be trying that as the GIG guy siad that running on just a 15amp PSU is just on limit for INTEL & AMD CPU's

Also found out that with KT400 chipset DDR400 will only run at333 mhz with a 333FSB chip . 266FSB will work ok....VERY ODD eh

Also when you run quick test from control panel Box with tick doeas anyone else get unable to find dx8 8.1 or above????

GA7-VAXP rev1.1 F11 Bios ....Via Hyperion4in1 4.45 drivers
512 Winbond Pc3200
XP2700 CPU standard 166 on fsb setting
Connect3D Radeon 8700 PRO Catalyst 3.1 drivers
2 80gig hard drives Seagate & Maxtor
CD drive & Cd Writer
56k modem & speed touch usb modem
300watt power
BIOS:- Top Performance OFF, AGP 8x Apature 128, DDR 400 only runs at 333mhz,

No Name Feb 12, 2003, 08:12pm EST Report Abuse
I wanted to post what I believe has finally fixed my problems.
I have read this entire post and tried SO many things to fix the problem but the hardest part was waiting for it to lockup and force me to reboot since it happens both in games and while just on my desktop with nothing else running for no apparent reason.

I went into the BIOS and upped the AGP voltage from 1.55 (default) to 1.6 and it made no difference and I locked up half way through the new 3DMark03 nature test.
I went into the ATI control panel and on the SMARTGART tab I turned "fast write" off. It made me reboot and I ran the 2DMark03 test again. This time it went all the way to the end and posted a healthy score. :)

I am running the latest drivers for the video card, sound card and motherboard. I had been using my old GeForce 3 card with absolutely NO problems at all for about a week. Once I got the ATI card I became quickly depressed with all the lock ups and crashes.

I would like to see more people try this to see if this may help others.
I wish everyone the best of luck and please post anything that might fix the problem for the rest of us. I'll post back in a couple of days and let you all know if I am still stable.

System specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P4G8x Deluxe
CPU: Pentium 4 - 3.06GHz
Video: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
Sound: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
RAM: 1GB DDR PC2700

1 Feb 12, 2003, 09:15pm EST Report Abuse
if it helps anyone, Im in the monterey, cali area. If you are having these problems and live in this area then contact me at docmodgod@redshift.com

I have 2 good boards (built by ati) and would be happy to assist in any hands on troubleshooting.

p.s. This week Im adding a 72watt peltier to my 9700!

Johannes Rumpf Feb 13, 2003, 03:07am EST Report Abuse

Johannes Rumpf Feb 16, 2003, 12:48pm EST Report Abuse
Ok,

i've found it. :-)

I'd open my computer to give the Card to the postal service an' what did my red eyes see. The cooler isn't on board... it hang like a little monkey with with one plastic-thing on the ATI.

So after pushing the cooler in the right place, all go on as normal..

So i've a little suggestion... Ati has build in a temperature device that if the chip is a little to warm it shuts down?

So maybe the cooling isn't enough...

Outa Myhead Feb 18, 2003, 08:44am EST Report Abuse
Okay I got my 9700Pro back last night and it works like a charm now, I also flashed my BIOS to F11 and I have left the memory management controlled by host CPU disabled (which I had enabled last time). I have left top performance disabled since it was the reason I sent the card back in the first place.

AMD 2600+
GA-7VAXP
ATI 9700 Pro
1024MB DDR 333MHz
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Player
IBM 27.3 & 123.5 Deskstar
16x40 DVD ROM & 52x24x52 CDRW
Falcon Rock CPU fan
2xCoolermaster case fans

See bio for system setup.
John Payne Feb 19, 2003, 10:12pm EST Report Abuse
ATI AIW 9700 PRO For Sale :)

No But Really What a piece of Sh$%

I am selling mine and going for a less buggy solution. I have fought for
two days now with my new system.
Got the Gigabyt 8inxp
3.06ghz processor
512mb corsair memory
And a few extra other diddies.

I can not get the drivers installed to save my life. Keep getting a
Severe error - Zero Display Service Error.

When I reboot I get nothing after the XP splash screen but garbled pixles.
When I reboot, it asks to reboot with last know good configuration after which it does a scan disk and what do you know - It finds new hardware
again but does not know what to do with it.

I tried to uninstall the drivers but I get initialization error when trying to uninstall.

I am currently using my old ATI All In Wonder Pro. I popped that in
and XP loaded it up like a charm NO PROBLEMS!!

I am going to eBay and post mine if anyone wants it. I am going to be
practically giving it away :) I am fed up with it and just do not feel like
dealing with the card or the CRAPPY tech support. What the f%$# is up
with a 30 day policy with no 1-800 number and after that is a buck 25 a minute. I can find better phone sex than that for cheaper and get off the
phone in a much better mood.

But seriously, HAS ANYONE HAD TOTAL SUCCESS WITH THIS BEAST?

Thanks
John

jedi master Feb 20, 2003, 07:45pm EST Report Abuse
I found something interesting about these video cards. If you go to http://www.shortsports.com or http://www.mgrok.com, you can get software that will autogenerate highlights of the TV programs you record.

It's kind of cool :)

Peter Knowles Feb 21, 2003, 06:41pm EST Report Abuse
Re: Anyone got a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP?
GA7-VAXP rev1.1 F11 Bios ....Via Hyperion4in1 4.45 drivers
512 Winbond Pc3200
XP2700 CPU standard 166 on fsb setting
Connect3D Radeon 8700 PRO Catalyst 3.1 drivers
2 80gig hard drives Seagate & Maxtor
CD drive & Cd Writer
56k modem & speed touch usb modem
300watt power
BIOS:- Top Performance OFF, AGP 8x Apature 128, DDR 400 only runs at 333mhz,

I too have had trouble with this board and have had some questions answered in this forum.
I have spoken to ATI AND Gigabyte ATI said to swap Card so i did that but made no difference also upgraded power from 350 watt to a 450watt still no difference..At this point i was cracking up spoke to Gigabyte and they said no worries not heard of any conflicts with MOBO & Graphics but they would test the board...

Having bem told by Gigabyte that ddr 400 with a 333fsb chip will never work at 400 only 333 i tried my mates 333 in machine BUT it just stopped booting and went into a MAJOR LOOP . DISGUSTED i put my ddr 400 mem back in and ran a 3d mark 2001 to my total surprise and delight it completed the test and gave a mega score 13079 so i then tried 3d Mark 2003 and that to completed witha score of 4382.

Having rang them back they said it is possible that a thread was stuck in ram causing all graphic problems even thought my old graphics card worked GIVE IT A TRY IT MAY JUST WORK i have read about memory doing odd stuff before just wish i had removed & replaced it sooner.

3-Oh-Beast Feb 21, 2003, 07:44pm EST Report Abuse
i feel really bad for people who have yet to succeed getting their radeon to work.

the only thing i can stress is to look at the thread and try everything. to repeat once more, all my problems were fixed after changing the agp aperture to 128 [as it was set to 64 from my old geforce mx] and installing omega drivers as well as ati display/control panel. technically speaking omega drivers are the same thing as ati display drivers, but iam just reporting on how i got my card to work.

finally i have to say keep trying coz once you get this f**ker running it's amazing. i have a regular 9700, not a pro, and still i can play every one of my games in 1600x1200 with 32 bit color and all video features turned up to their highest with no lack in fps. this card really shows off the quality of effects in games like battlefield 1942, unreal 2, hitman 2.

iam planning on adding 256ddr ram for 512 total, upgrading to 9700pro and trying out one of those 3d glasses for my games. i've heard battlefield 1942 multiplayer in 3d is an unmatched gaming experience.

:: P5N32-E sli + Q6600 @ 3ghz
:: 4GBs Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
:: EVGA 8800GTX
:: 2 WD Raptors 10,000rpm 74gb RAID0
:: Gateway 24" FHD2400 LCD
1 Feb 21, 2003, 08:13pm EST Report Abuse
Im fairly certain that a majority of you have some defective cards as I have seen up close and under a magnifying glass 4 of mine identical and then my friends from ocsystem that had another built by ati 9700 pro and his didnt work. The board layout was identical but the tiny chips where yellow instead of black. Now either they have a bogus batch floating around or they just cheapened the manufacturing process by using these different components on board. Either way you look at it there was a difference.
How many of you have tiny yellow chips (diodes?) instead of black?

This might help a few of you out there......I have never had a problem with any of my 9700pros untill yesterday when I decided to do a system restoral after a cookie deleter ate my cookie for a sight that I couldnt find anymore...lol.
anyhow, the system restoral took away my ut2k3 2199 patch and left my stuck on 2166. When I tried to run ut it gave me a missing video card message. I thought that was strange but since Ive never had a problem before I figured I would just reinstall the patch. Everything is hunky dory after that.
My point is that if system restoral could corrupt patches to games like that then whats to stop it from doing the same to the driver patches??
or simply some of you could be led in the wrong direction by your game giving you the no vid card message? Clearly some of these debugging programs obsolete.

John Payne Feb 22, 2003, 08:37pm EST Report Abuse
I got this link from transam :)
THANKS!!!!

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=25&thread...TARTPAGE=1

I think my problem of random reboots and random images on the scree was do to a power problem. I went inside my computer and unplugged EVERYTHING that was not necessary. Pulled out all of my memery except for one stick.

Then I just started to plug things in one at a time until I found the culprit. Mine runs perfectly without my floppy drive plugged in. I think I had one too many things running off of the power coming to the ATI card. I had two hard drives and my floppy all on the same power cord.

I got this idea from the link above that trans posted :)

Best Regards
John

Billy Liar Feb 23, 2003, 06:02am EST Report Abuse
Hello all

Wonder if someone can help me. Just got a new pc its got a radeon 9700 (non pro) I was getting 72 fps on counter strike got ntl 612k so is that about right seems low fps to me. and after a while of having the pc on, when I reboot the moniter seems to flash real bad on boot up and the same when I am closing it down any Ideas

XP2700+
K7N2 MOTHERBORD
512DDR PC2700

LAZARUS Feb 23, 2003, 07:55am EST Report Abuse
Hi guys

Ok, let me tell you a bit about my 9700, I looked into the benchmark thing a bit more..The results are horrible. OK listen to this...According to anandtech Serious sam 2 is for the 9700 139.2 fps, what I get...43.3 fps ( I use the same settings), Tomshardware for jedi night 2 lists 165.4 fps, I get 45 fps, for aquanox 103.4, I get 50 fps..every test was run with the same settings as the web pages did...my CPU of course was different but not by much, i.e. (XP2700 vs my P4 2400) ... PLEASE tell me what is going on and how ppl get these kind of fps.. (I have the latest drivers)

P4 2.4Ghz
Asus P4S8X
1 GB 333 DDR
Quantum ATLAS SCSI-3 HD
AHA 29160 SCSI card

Adam Martin Feb 23, 2003, 10:40am EST Report Abuse
I don't think it is a power issue with my system. I unplugged everything that I didn't need (both CD Drives, floppy drive, etc) and it still froze and/or shut down. So there was no possible "plug in until it freezes" situation. I have also heard a lot of people say the same thing. Maybe it is just how a "BAD" video card draws the power. Also the company I bought the system from said that they have been using this setup of a while now with the same PSU and never had any problems. I think I am going to have them send me a new video card and/or ram.

P.S. with tweaking and underclocking some I got my system to run good with about 80% of my games. But with a system like this I should be running 100%, also since this was not a cheap system.....Any more ideas????

-----------------------------------------------
Intel P4 2.8 Ghz 2x 512mb ram (OCSystem Overclocked PC3200)
Soyo Dragon Lite P4X400
Radeon 9700 Pro 128
120GB Hard Drive
CD-RW and DVD drives
Creative SB Live w/ 6 speaker system
--------------------
1 Feb 23, 2003, 11:17am EST Report Abuse
here is a good checklist for ya since I have gone through about 8 mobos since getting my radeon 9700 pro.
optimize xp- do all updates, then go start menu, right click on my computer, scroll down and click properties, in the performance box click settings, finally click adjust for best performance and then click ok.

check for bios revisions related to agp

in the direct 3d tab under advanced desktop settings adjust the slide for the agp to optimal performance. Do the same under the open gl tab.

be sure that if you are removing another card before installing this one that you have fully uninstalled any drivers and utilities for the old one first.

check your ram timings......fps could be low due to poor timings.

try increasing the DDR voltage in your bios to allow for the most aggressive settings. Try not to exceed 2.8volts unless you are overclocking and have loads of case fans to cool the ddr.

On one of my soyo kt400ultra platinum boards for amd I found in the bios they had relative settings like .

There are many many ways to optimize your system settings but your problem seems to be driver related due to the fact that you can even finish 3dmark 2001se. Make sure you have current drivers for both the vid card and the agp controller for your motherboard. I noticed that your using a scsi. Sometimes a bad scsi cable can cause corruption or even poor settings like forced sync transfer with a small buffer like 2mb cache on a scsi can cause corruption of downloads.

http://home.mindspring.com/~warp11/

The above link will take you to some info that will aloow you to turn your 9700 into a 9700 pro rather easily.

goodluck

John Payne Feb 24, 2003, 06:26pm EST Report Abuse
>> The Beast Is Alive!!!
I Ran 3dmark2001 SE

800x600 16bit - 17893
1024x768 32bit - 14983

Both With Antialiasing OFF

I have fought with this damn thing for over a month and almost gave up. I installed my old All In Wonder Radeon, which so happens to be the SAME drivers as the AIW 9700 Pro. I was using my old radeon for a week before I decided one last time before getting rid of the card.

I created a restore point for my computer because of my history with this card. It installed everything ok but had to reboot. I decided to go into
my bios and change the AGP to 4x and bump up the volts by 0.1 as suggested previously in the posts.

I was very suprised to see a stable windows boot up!! Even more suprised to run two 3dmark sessions in A ROW without crashing.

Just thought you may want to hear a success story. Or at least temporary success, I just knocked on wood :)

Thanks!
John

Tom Aquinas Feb 26, 2003, 01:07pm EST Report Abuse
I wish I had the same luck with my XP system. I did have the system instability after installing the latest BIOS for my VIA AK32 mobo as well as the 4in1 drivers and PCI latency patch. Installed a pricey 430 Watt power supply from Antec, too!

My system's road to recovery is described as follows:

1. Backed up my data to a secondary drive. Restored original mobo BIOS.
2. Reformatted system drive and installed Win2000 Pro with SP3 - I figured that if the instability is caused by faulty hardware then symptoms should remain.
3. Installed the latest Catalyst driver and associated ATI apps.
4. Installed remaining apps.

I'm happy to say that it's been stable since last night. No more 5 min cycles of instability. DVD playback is great - better than my previous XP setup.

It must have been driver conflicts caused by a combination of the VIA 4in1 drivers and Radeon's - yeah, previously I often got the warning regarding ATI2dvag.dll in my event viewer whenever the loop occured.

I'll stick with my Win2k pro setup until this problem stabilizes.

Good luck to everyone.

Home theatre pc noobie
All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro
Audigy 2 Platinum
AMD XP 2000+

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.