Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1606 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:19am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
JC Bailey Mar 05, 2003, 06:14pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
well i thought i was running stable.

BSOD
multiple_irp_requests

:o(

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
JC Bailey Mar 05, 2003, 06:18pm EST Report Abuse
Re: ATI Radeon 9700
well i thought i was running stable.

BSOD
multiple_irp_requests

:o(

soyo dragon p4x400 ultra platinum
p4 2.4ghz
corsair xms ddr400 p3200 (512mg chip)
ati radeon 9700 pro
400w ps

all latest ati drivers, bios installed, etc..
agp voltage set to 1.6v

what else is there???????? @!*!@!!!

Adam Martin Mar 05, 2003, 06:51pm EST Report Abuse
Okay...does anyone know exactly what this revision AE2 and AE3 thing is, and if it is actually true? I found this article at OCSystem.com :http://www.ocsystem.com/earrevofrad9.html

I want to set my agp to 4x instead of 8x to see if it helps any but can't do it in the bios for some reason. Does anyone have a Soyo Dragon LITE P4X400 mobo?

-----------------------------------------------
Intel P4 2.8 Ghz 2x 512mb ram (OCSystem Overclocked PC3200)
Soyo Dragon Lite P4X400
Radeon 9700 Pro 128
120GB Hard Drive
CD-RW and DVD drives
Creative SB Live w/ 6 speaker system
--------------------
1 Mar 05, 2003, 07:32pm EST Report Abuse
sounds like the os was loaded with acpi turned off in the bios.....make sure plug and play os is enabled or set to yes before loading the os also.....with the mobo and the os trying to assign Irq's you may have a battle going on.
You can still enable plug and play os and then clear the nvram, reboot and let windows take a little time to notice the relief. (2min).

1 Mar 05, 2003, 07:40pm EST Report Abuse
these where revisions made to- for example- the gigabyte ga-7vrxp-......I had one and had a few problems but I also have 3 other kt400 boards that are prerelease boards which run fine at 8x, enable fast write, etc.
The theory was that certain boards could not supply the power needed from the agp bus...so they did some minor board revisions which included both new bios and a few little regulator additions.
Ocsystem has a history of misinterpretting facts and then pushing it out in hopes of defending themselves. Fact is that few people have been able to get their ddr400 to work properly, but in most cases switching to corsair cured all problems. Now they try to associate the 2??? Thats funny. After talking with those guys on the phone I got the impression that they are in way over their heads. For the new guys out there....dont confuse them with ocz.

Outa Myhead Mar 07, 2003, 05:50am EST Report Abuse
Okay I have fitted the new Zalman heatsink and everything seems fine although I will be adding a fan to blow onto it or attach one to the sinks (maybe even both). But I did make some other changes to the system setup; while I was inside the case I moved the second stick of RAM to the third slot as I read somewhere that the first and second port share some IRQ's or something (can't remember where I saw it) also found after searching the error that was coming up that one forum had stopped the ATI hotkey poller (which normally showed up in the event viewer just before the IL error ocurred.

If you go into the admin tools and system services (XP, 2000, NT4) you will find the ATI hotkey poller, I had dissabled it and so far nothing wierd has happened with the system (I don't need it running since I have only one monitor).

I will run Unreal 2 continous to see if I can make the system crash as before but so far things are looking good.

See bio for system setup.
Outa Myhead Mar 07, 2003, 06:17am EST Report Abuse
Oh yeah I forgot to say that my benchmark has increased as well; using bechmark 2003 the system has gone from 4578 to 4543 so something was holding the system back a little.

AMD XP 2600+
ATI 9700 Pro
GA-7VAXP 1.1
1024MB DDR (333MHz)

See bio for system setup.
uwe prells Mar 08, 2003, 01:17pm EST Report Abuse
Ooops, clicked too fast. Her is my message:

I'm fighting since months to get my rig running stable under AGP x8. Now I have narrowed the problem but need some advice.

My rig: KT4 Ultra (bios ver. 1.3), Athlon XP 2200+, 512 MB Samsung PC 2700 (cl 2.5), Radeon 9700 Saphire Pro.

I've all the latest drivers (VIA 4-in-1, Catalyst 3.1) and managed to get the bios settings such that everything is quite stable. But there is one big problem left:

DirectXDiag shows AGP acceleration not available, 3DMark2001SE shows AGP aperture size 0 bytes and 512 MB memory but frequency 0 Hz.

All my D3D based games freezes, DirectXDiag freezes in D3D test (spinning logo) , 3Dmark2001SE benchmark freezes.
Serious Sam 2 runs fine (also Truform), also Star Wars Jedi Knight Outcast runs without problem. Note, that these are OpenGL based games!

It seems that my OS W2k does not recognize the AGP capabilities.

Has anyone an idea? Please help !!!

Regards Uwe

1 Mar 08, 2003, 04:51pm EST Report Abuse
run dxdiag from the start menu and then click the display tab, Then try to run the d3d tests to teach directx that you hardware capible.....I have had this problem once.

uwe prells Mar 08, 2003, 07:55pm EST Report Abuse
Thanks for the hint, but it didn't work! The test just freezes my rig.

Since I've posted the cry for help above I did a lot of testing and I've solved part of the problem.

I've reinstalled the Catalyst drivers (3.1) and after some rebooting DirectXDiag showed everything. However there is a catch:

On AGPx8 the tests are flying!! The bouncing box in Direct Draw is jumping like mad (usually pretty slow in full screen mode), the spinning logo in D3D test is rotating so fast that you can't see is clearly.
All D3D games (also 3DMark2001SE) are freezing, but OpenGL games are running, although unstable. After a crash caused by an OpenGL game (Jedi Knight Outcast) the AGP accelaration in DirectXDiag was again not available. After a proper shutdown ( reboot won't do it!!) the AGP acceleration was restored. Strange !!

I've now reset my AGP to x4 and all D3D games are rocking again. However the OpenGL games do not work, loading OpenGL Subsystem failed: can't find PIXELFORMAT.

It seems that there is a conflict between AGPx8, DirectX9 and the Catalyst 3.1 drivers, which involves mainly D3D and OpenGL apps.

Regards Uwe

1 Mar 09, 2003, 09:35am EST Report Abuse
that has happened to me too, what caused it in my cause was an uninstall off radeonator 2.0 and then an install of the newest drivers. If you are good with regedit then you might be able to find an easy solution but I gave up on it and ran a system restoral......and then all was back to normal....Radeonator seems to cause corruption when uninstalled.
I was able to get these symptoms over and over by uninstalling radeonator. I think it may be that when it uninstalls then xp is still looking for the overclock settings left in the registry by the program. I did find it and delete it however I dont have much time since my project system is in peices and I cant compare reg settings at the moment.
Did you get these symptoms and without ever having radeonator????
Let me know, Ill be testing my project on the table for stability for a few days before doing al the mods, so I will be able to compare reg settings for the agp tonight.

uwe prells Mar 09, 2003, 10:19am EST Report Abuse
I never used Radeonator but I once used Fuzzy Logic for overclocking. However this phenomenon was not caused by overclocking. I'm pretty sure that flashing bios ver. 1.3 caused all the trouble.

Last night I deleted all drivers and reinstalled them and also overinstalled DirecX9. Now everything (OpenGL and D3D) is running fine again. But only under AGP x4.

AGPx8 still is very unstable. I won;t touch it for a while. Mayby I'll have another go if MS comes out with DirectX9.1 and ATI provides a new driver set.

By the way: I had a look on your website. Wow !! What is this thing? Is it from outer space?

Regards Uwe

1 Mar 09, 2003, 12:37pm EST Report Abuse
Okay, that sounds like an agp controller problem though I have once again been able to induce the same symptoms (I know I need to get a life!). You might ask why mess up a good thing? Because I love troubleshooting.
Anyway, first check to see that the mobo agp chipset drivers are fresh. Its always good to reinstall them after each agp card driver update.
Then, alot of the newer games will have startup settings installed according to your registry. If you change those settings by installing new drivers then the game might seek the old settings only to find them missing and freeze or crash to the desktop. Its supposed to give you an error code but if the application itself is too intensive then It might simply crash to the desktop. Try a repair or reinstalling the game or application over itself. This is normal for 3dmark03.
To ensure this isnt just a windows problem; if using xp, goto mycomputer, right click, click properties, click advanced tab, under startup and recovery click settings, under system failure uncheck automatically restart and check send an administrative alert. Sometimes windows can misinterpret an error and youll never know because under normal setup it will simply restart your machine and do a small memory dump. Dont forget to click okay to finalize the settings.....then give it a try.

as for the system on my site......
lol, actually its coming apart today. Acrylic sucks if you switch boards and stuff often. That was my lazy slop job, didnt sleeve the powersupply cables cause I was lazy...but Im doing that today. The current project has changed too and I would advise anyone getting a prometeia cooler to compare the dimensions with any case they plan to mount on top of it before purchasing a case. I postponed my project as thermaltake postponed the release of the thermaltake xaser 3 and then found out it doesnt fit anyway....lol. what a waste! The cheiftech spider and dragon fit really well though with the exception of the overlapping rear section.....not gonna whine about that though.
Check my site in about a week and I'll have the dual psu/ dual water cooled/ peltier gpu/ prometeia cooled monster up and benched!

Luka Zuber Mar 10, 2003, 08:03am EST Report Abuse
Ok i was troubleshooting my rig for 2 weeks now and ive found out that it works much stable with agp 4X (was 8X) but it still tends to freeze in ati 9700 demos. I tried new motherboard drivers but no luck, yesterday i put my agp back to 8X and my agp voltage to 1.6 and dident have anny lockups since, and i hope it will stay that way :(

Intel 2.8
512 DDR Samsung 400 (CAS 2,2,2,5)
MBO ASUS P4G8X Delux (1003g BIOS)
Gigabyte ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Rev 1.0)
Creative Audigy Platinum
WD 120 GB
WD 40 GB
Pioneer 106 slot in DVD
Plextor 16x10x40
Samsung 959NF
PSU Enermax 430 W

Luka Zuber Mar 11, 2003, 12:00pm EST Report Abuse
Damn, that agp 1.6 voltage trie dident help, now im really p**sed off !!! Im selling my 9700 pro.

JC Bailey Mar 15, 2003, 01:12pm EST Report Abuse

installed the latest bios and ati drivers.
unreal 2 locks up after a few minutes of game play
(blue screen, unrecoverable)

soyo p4x400 platinum ultra
corsair ddr400 xms pc3200 (running at ddr333)
400 p/s
ati radeon 9700 pro
agp voltage set to 1.6v
agp fast writes disabled in bios and in advanced settings in winXP.

this thing really sucks, nothing ive tried is working!
what else?? lol

1 Mar 15, 2003, 09:16pm EST Report Abuse
update on buddies 9700 pro from ocsystem.com

We finally recieved another card, though the wrong one again....supposed to have been a built by ati card but they pulled the old bait and switch again and gave him a sapphire. This one doesnt work either......just to recap I have 2 built by ati radeon 9700pros that work fine in his system.
Maybe they simply loaded the wrong vga bios into this card? The floating artifacts are reminisent of the effects that overclocking the core and the ram is some overheating crappy infineon. Seems fairly obvious that there are in fact a bad batch of cards out there. Im so sick of dealing with ocsystem that Im not even going to check the default clock speed or mem speed since either way we have no intention on keeping this card.

Of all the people in this forum topic what brand 9700pro's do you have? Maybe this can be associated to one brand. Granted many people could be simply having compatibility problems......it could still be worth some looking at. What brand is your radeon?

JC Bailey Mar 16, 2003, 12:02am EST Report Abuse

its a generic brand i bought off of eBay awhile back, no
drivers or instructions came with the card either, just
the cable, it does have a ATI sticker on it.

NeRDy NeRD Mar 16, 2003, 05:52am EST Report Abuse

JC Bailey Mar 16, 2003, 07:05am EST Report Abuse

I bought this card when it first came out! There wasn't any complaints
or issues that ive heard at that time. If I would have known i wouldnt have bought it.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.