Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 766 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 07 - 11:42pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon 9700 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>
Outa Myhead Mar 17, 2003, 06:29am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon 9700
Nerdy Nerd this is a help forum not an Nvidia worship site, try the Nvidia hompage.....they might have a site link for the forum you want;).

See bio for system setup.
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Outa Myhead Mar 17, 2003, 06:34am EST Report Abuse
Oh yeah could you give us any particular example of an incompatabillity that the ATI has besides certain KT400 chipsets?

james kooiker Mar 18, 2003, 04:08am EST Report Abuse
ive had nothing but problems with VIA chipsets

Nick Pelletier Mar 18, 2003, 04:23am EST Report Abuse

I was asking for help!i

ok, the question is:
'Why do people buy ATI products when they have compatibility problems with many things such as games and mobos?'

It is an honest question, and if someone can giv a good answer i mite consider gettin ATI stuff.

Outa Myhead Mar 18, 2003, 04:42am EST Report Abuse
Nick the compatabillity problem isn't the card it's the Via chipset or at least the early versions of the chipsets as on other forums people are having these problems with mainly Via and the occassional SIS chipset.

But like me there are a few people out there with Via boards that have the cards running fine (although at first I was having problems for almost a month); it's Possibly the reason why Via have released the KT400a (notice the "a") this is their way of fixing the problem and leaviing us lot with the first version up a river without a paddle, wether it works or not is another story.

1 Mar 18, 2003, 09:43am EST Report Abuse
because some of us enjoy troubleshooting, and the experience could lead you to find weak links in your system. For example, I just talked another friend into getting a built by ati 9700pro....so last night he brought his machine over and after I killed 157 viruses, hjijackers, etc from his machine I then proceeded to optimize his xp and then defrag. Then I went ahead and installed the card only to get a series of beeps upon startup.
While alot of people here have already tried their power supplies, I began to hunt for other things. I started by unplugging all unnecessary items like cold cathodes, floppy drive, second cd drive......one at a time untill it booted.
In the end it appeared to be a sony cdrw drive that caused the problem but as I dissasembled it I found nothing unussual. I then decided to do some research and found that the drive had a huge power draw upon startup. Huge enough that the turbolink 420 that came with his cheiftech case couldnt hang. I then gave him one of my enermax eg465p-fm psu's. That model is not higher power but cleaner power. Dirty power will cause inconsistant results and make it hell to troubleshoot.
His setup: xp2000+,512mb corsiar xms2700c2-2-2-5t-1t @2.7v, radeon 9700pro on a MSI kt4vl. After running 3dmark2001se on a loop from 10:30pm last night till 6am this morning I awoke to find it still running.
Now thats stability!

Why buy a card that is known to create problems? it doesnt it shows you the problems you have and lets you eliminate your weakest links so long as you know what to check and have the support of many other people doing the same!
Many had the same problems when the ti4600 came out so what are you using.......a TNT2? :-)

Outa Myhead Mar 18, 2003, 10:07am EST Report Abuse
Nope using the following:-

AMD XP2600+
GA-7VAXP rev 1.1
1024MB DDR RAM (333MHz)
ATI 9700 Pro rev 1.3 (with Zalman HP-Z80A Heatsink plus 80mm case fan blowing from the side)
IBM 27.3 & 120 GB Deskstar
16x40 LG DVD ROM
52x24x52 Liteon CDRW
400 Watt PSU with secondary exhaust fan
2x 80mm case fans (one intake and one exhaust)
Windows XP Pro SP1

And I haven't had a problem with AGP 8x as before the system hangs used to occur whatever setting the AGP was on, I disabled the ATI hotkey Poller and moved the stick of RAM to the third slot and heypresto! one working ATI card with a 4543 benchmark in 3D Mark 2003.

Outa Myhead Mar 18, 2003, 10:08am EST Report Abuse
sorry I moved the one of the two sticks of RAM to the third slot.

1 Mar 18, 2003, 11:16am EST Report Abuse
400 watts is still too little for what you have, It wouldnt hurt to try eliminating a few things just for experimentation.
Try one hard drive, one plain cdrom, no cdrw or dvdrw, no internal lighting, less aggressive ram timings (uses less juice), skip the floppy too! Then youll know without a doubt. As I think more and more about the problems we had with this turbolink psu last night I then realized that another client who had a turbolink could run a 8500 but not a 8500dv. Strange since both are built by ati cards I thought.....but now it makes perfect sense. Also, I had at one point been using one of these turbolinks to power my test bed however it wouldnt even run a xp2200+ in combo with a 9700pro, however if I switched it to a xp2000+ then everything would run perfectly.
Im meeting the guy with the 2 8500's at his place in 45minutes to swap the psu and test it out again. I'll post the results tonight after work!
So, that makes 3 turbolinks 420's that I can recall that have had problems in my experience alone.

GOSTEK ******* Mar 18, 2003, 06:00pm EST Report Abuse
i got Gigabyte GA-8INXP and i got the freezing problem. here is what i found on other web site

I did notice with the E7205 Chipset (Granite bay) that AGP Fast writes defaults to 'On' which is a very very bad thing with this chipset. I advise turning AGP Fast Writes off if you are having any stability issues. This can be done from the SmartGart tab in advanced display properties. In this test system I also had to raise the AGP voltage to 1.7v in the BIOS, as 1.6 and 1.5 were not stable.

i didn't check it yet, i just got this info. Let me know if it worked

1 Mar 18, 2003, 11:15pm EST Report Abuse
turbolink 420watt psu confirmed junk......after a little research I found that this is old news and they have been pulled from amd approval for instability reasons. They are in fact known to have issues with various radeon and geforce cards.

for anyone curious on monitoring their psu voltages in real time:
check out this site....http://www.datel.com

you can choose a voltage display according to the range that you wish to monitor and they consume no more then analogue needles. I just ordered 4 of them for the compitition system to monitor vdd vcore and so on.

samwise gamgee Mar 19, 2003, 11:34am EST Report Abuse
hey ya'll,
i've just read all of this thread and think i might have something to add. i have had my 9700 pro (maya2) for 5 or 6 months, and it has worked perfectly. and then last week i did a system restore ( for a trivial reason) and now every game will eventually freeze and the sound will loop. nothing brings it back but a reboot.i KNOW the restore was to blame because i was playing mafia before the restore. and then imediately after my prob started. now, some of you might think the problem just didnt show itself until then. let me asure you i'm SICK with the games. 8 hours a day sometimes. and all the new games, mafia, nfsII, splinter cell, igi2, forgotten battles(unbelievable by the way),1942, unreal 2,............... and i have played MARATHON sessions on all these.
so whats my point right? i have tried for 10 days to reinsall drivers, try different drivers, dx reinstall , system restore, reseating all my cards( that has been the culprit several times before for different problems.) PLUS every suggestion made in this forrum and any others i can get my hands on. no fix. several of the suggestions did DELAY the lockup.
What im trying to say is that for a lot of us(not all), a reformat and reinstall is the only solution.Believe me i dont want to accept it either. after six months on this install ive got it tweaked to perfection( almost:))
but alas, tonight i reinstall, and am confident it will solve my prob.

xp1900
a7v8x deluxe
512 corsair 400
gigabyte 9700pro
sblive
volcano9
blah
blah
blah
oh! i almost forgot, i have a 230 watt psu

marcoathome Mar 19, 2003, 01:23pm EST Report Abuse
System Configuration:

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Motherboard
AMD XP 2.4 processor
1.0 GB DDR 333 memory
2 - 120 GB Western Digital WD1200JB in a Raid 1 configuration
Ratheon 9700 Pro (oem)
Windows XP Pro with SP1a

The system would freeze everytime I would run a video using RealOnePlayer. I would have to do a hard reset to bring it back to life. I solved the freezing problem by doing the following:

1. Applied all the latest drivers from the Gigabyte web site.
2 Downloaded and applied the latest Catalyst driver (3.2) from ATI web site.
3. Downloaded and applied the VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers from the VIAarena website, version 4.46.

Rebooted the system and everything seems to be working well. Time will tell but I think I have the freezing problem licked. Please let me know if you have similar success or not.

Marco

uwe prells Mar 19, 2003, 03:05pm EST Report Abuse
Marco: If your rig runs on AGPx4 then I think your method will work for most of the various problems reported here.
However, on AGPx8 I still got instability (freezes, glitchy graphics etc.).
What are your AGP settings?

Uwe

1 Mar 19, 2003, 08:59pm EST Report Abuse
thats funny cause 2000pro is known to have had issues with the same results using real player.......most Dell trained techs are really familiar with this one since they shipped a bung load of dells to insurance agents for promotion and all of them had the problem eventually....but not at first.

marcoathome Mar 19, 2003, 09:24pm EST Report Abuse
I don't know what to tell you. I have downloaded numerous video streams via Realoneplayer, adusted screen size, etc. with no problems. Guess I am glad I don't have a Dell. I also verified that the AGP bus speed is running at 8x (via display settings) and it is. I have it set to "auto" in the BIOS. Alls well at this end of the court. Let me know if I can provide you with additional information.

Marco

Jackie Chan Mar 20, 2003, 03:09am EST Report Abuse
I started reading this thread today. It started in December. I was thinking by the time I reached the end of thread you all would have a fix, and here we are........

I have:

MSI Nforce2 board
Athlon XP 2400 o/c'd to 2200mhz
OCZ PC3200 Ram. Ram and 2400 sync'd to 200/400 FSB
Radeon 9700 Pro

System hangs and sound just replays over and over, when I reach 5-10 SECONDS into a game. The menus of games are ok, but 5-10 seconds into the graphically heavy part of the game causes the problem..

FIrst this happened with my Ti4200, but the card was just getting hot. Added fan, no more probs.

Now I upgraded to FIC 9700 Pro and I have these problems. Card gets pretty hot... 230W power supply at first, but upgrading to 400W did not help....

Interested in hearing any thoughts... Have not tried voltage etc since the majority of people get no help with this.

ROY G Mar 20, 2003, 05:55am EST Report Abuse
I saw on samwise post above him having trouble with his system after system restore . I also saw on windows update a fix for people having trouble after a system restore I know my brother did then did the fix and it has done ok ever since .He liked to never got back online after a system restore.finally did then did the fix A OK !

neil c Mar 20, 2003, 09:58am EST Report Abuse
I got it working:

XP home. ASUS P4S8X-X motherboard. ATI radeon 9700 pro card. all latest drivers, bios and OS patches.

problem: Games (ghost recon, CC generals etc.) causing systme hang.

I brought down the AGP speed to 4x
and disabled the fast writes.

my question is
what am I losing with 4x (from 8x) AGP
do I have 'half a card' ?

/neilc

Jackie Chan Mar 20, 2003, 12:41pm EST Report Abuse
DIdnt work. Fast writes off and 8x down to 4x just caused mt to hang up after 45 seconds instead of 10...

This tells me it could be a heat problem, since 8x down to 4x and fastwrites disabled cause less work = less heat = longer to hangup.

Just doesnt make sense though. Why sell a card that over heats without being overclocked? Such idiots... But hey, once you get people's money then goal accomplished.

Let me add, God sees other people causing stress and unhappiness to others for the profit of money. I truly believe this, and whoever is knowingly responsible will pay.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.